Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ted Lasso [Apple]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Thanks to OP for recommending this.
    I absolutely loved it and I wouldn't be too fond of schmaltz
    Feelgood central and very funny with it.
    This was top notch IMO

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

ixoy wrote: »
    If you don't give a crap about football, would you still enjoy this?
    Just finished this and answering my own question: Yes, yes you really would. It's a lovely, charming show and you'd be dead inside if you didn't feel its warmth, especially from Sudekis's performance as Lasso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I absolutely loved it! Was really surprised that I did as I have absolutely no interest in football at all. Recommend it thoroughly!

If it hasn't already been recommended on here Kim's Convenience is a great watch. Really funny imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched this a couple of weeks back, and surprised that it appears very few people know of it.

Ok so it's a but cheesy in parts but it also has some very funny moments. As good as any other of the top comedies out there.

And don't let the football put you off, there's not that much in it.

And a little bit of trivia, if anyone has watched The Mandalorian, the guy who plays Ted Lasso is one of the stormtroppers who has Grogu/baby Yoda in a bag and keep slapping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

It wasn't bad, decent enough to keep watching it. Not too taxing on the brain. One thing bothered me though, none of the superfans in the pub seem to go to games......

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Me_Grapes

It wasn't bad, decent enough to keep watching it. Not too taxing on the brain. One thing bothered me though, none of the superfans in the pub seem to go to games ......

That is one of the more realistic things about the entire series!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what channel what time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

fryup wrote: »
    what channel what time?

It's an Apple TV show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Binged it last week. I really enjoyed it . Easy to watch and some funny bits too. Even caught the missus watching it the odd time and smiling.

Presume there is going to be a few more series of it.

• Advertisement

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Binged it last week. I really enjoyed it . Easy to watch and some funny bits too. Even caught the missus watching it the odd time and smiling.

Presume there is going to be a few more series of it.

They've renewed it for a second and third series but that's it. It will finish on season 3 which means they have a plan which is reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Very enjoyable show, a great lead and a "local" feel to it, looking forward to Season 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

Binge watching this for the second time now. Funny but has a lot of heart. i think I said before that a second series wasn't necessary but I've changed my mind. I want more Lasso. Heartwarming show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just a bump for this..

.. like Heckler, also did a rewatch of this after being reminded of it with Nick Mohammed (Nathan) on Graham Norton lately.

Think I enjoyed it even more on a binge second time around.

Season 2 looking likely for late Summer apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,875 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Season 2 starts July 23rd.

Season 2 starts July 23rd.
    Can do one better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This news just made my day. Nice one.

Football is death 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Thought it was great. Slow start but some very funny bits in it. The Roy Kent character somewhat steals the show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭archfi

Yep, Roy Kent is still King.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

Really nice start to Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rasher_Sausage

Looking forward to sitting down to watch it over the weekend. Loved the first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A huge ratings winner for Apple

If Roy Kent was on Soccer Saturday it would be the most watched show on Sky Sports week in week out.

Also great to see Ruth Bradley I didn't recognise her last week as the teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I think he does quite well for Sky Sports, it's just a shame Brett Goldstein couldn't pull off the Cork accent 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Has Roy Keane seen or commented on the show do we know?

Roy heading to the the studio to the Pistols brilliant. Its hokey and wears its heart on its sleeve. You're never going to get blindsided by this show and thats what I love about it. Its feelgood TV that me anyhow needs right now. Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

just finished season 1. has the right mix of feel good and comedy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Roy Kent is the gift that keeps giving.

"Can we have ice cream for dinner"?

"No, that's dumb"

No nonsense, and then he follows it up with incredibly insightful life lessons.

"He's here, he's there, he's every f*ckin where"

I want a whole episode with Roy Kent giving no nonsense parenting advice.

• Advertisement

Yep, more Kent, less 'issoos'!

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

He’s epic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Led Tasso....ha ha

Another really fun episode...season 2 even better than 1 so far.

Roy stealing every scene he is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah Roy Kent is a great character

Brett Goldstein completely changing styles compared to his role in Derek as Tom

If they try to break up Roy and Keeley we riot.

I love Jason Sudeikis. Something very charming about him. And there's an intelligence and dignity beneath the goofiness. He's great as Jesse Owens' coach in the film Race.

Not sure if it was the agenda-pushing Dubai Air episode last week, or the completely misplaced Christmas episode this week..

.. but it's all gone a bit too saccharine all of a sudden.

I knew it's also targetted at the US market but I am tending to agree that the saccharine of that last episode was in overdrive. Ok, it's an out of place Christmas ep but still.

The only funny bit of episode 4 is Roy Kent's nieces bad breath - the first scene of that strand.

Also, the crowbarred in virtue signalling with the charcater Sam at the centre is one I hope is a mere blip.

Paraphrasing -

'So back home Sam, what does Christmas make you think of?'

'Colonialism'

I mean, just fck off writers!

Maybe what this needs is a Roy Kent spin off and better writers.

• Advertisement

The show has always been saccharine and idealistic. In the first season Sam refuses to take the toy soldier Ted gives him because of its connotations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Yeah the out of season Christmas special that ended almost like a Mrs Brown's Boys bad sing along, has started to push this season into poor TV realms.

Where's the actual football gone, no mention at all of how the team is doing - so far this season they've only mentioned 9 draws and a loss - Ted should be facing the sack and the team relegation at this rate, not all happy families and hugs from the owner. Not to mention funds being pulled from sponsors over last episode....

The 1st season shone because of Ted dealing with fans, players and expecations over a linked up series. This season it's all individual episodes, with little follow through story line, and no tension. I mean even the psychiatrist was missing this episode, the dead dog is forgotten about, Jamie Tartt has caused no ripples, the sponsorship row never mentioned, Nate becoming a bully of new kit guy, all just single episode issues that vanish

You've hit the nail on the head especially last paragraph.

I'm not writing it off but I wonder have the writers/showrunners changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Il admit it this weeks Xmas episode was bloody shocking

Christmas episode I'll see as existing a bit in its own bubble. I'd be very surprised if we don't see some outcomes of losing their biggest sponsor in the next episode.

It'd be a bit dull to re-thread Ted facing the sack again this season.

Its a blip I hope. Would have been acceptable at Christmas just about. The show has always been saccharin and obvious. Thats its charm. Just wasn't expecting a christmas episode in August !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's like the episode was made for a different audience to be honest.

The Higgins dinner was waaaay OTT.

Drowning the underprivileged kids in an insane amount of presents seemed a cloying.

The Roy & Keeley side-story was funny for about one scene, and then just went on and on and on.

Also, was that Christmas Day? Is Boxing Day not one of the busiest days in the football calendar, and the lads are flooring Tequila the night before?

Episode went downhill as soon as the intro credits start. I know we're all aboard the Roy Kent bangwagon, but Jamie's top class. The bubble he lives in makes for some great moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Christmas episode wasn't amazing a bit too mawkish... especially towards the end...but Roy got some brilliant lines!

"I think you might be dying"

And the paw patrol one ha.

Some seriously harsh reviews here :(

Hopefully back on top form next episode

Episode 5 - return to form.

Keep the focus (or as much as possible) on Roy Kent and everything will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,207 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah that was a top episode. Roy Kent is just such an amazing character. The wigwam teepee joke completely caught me off guard too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement