Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ted Lasso [Apple]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

Yeah the out of season Christmas special that ended almost like a Mrs Brown's Boys bad sing along, has started to push this season into poor TV realms.

Where's the actual football gone, no mention at all of how the team is doing - so far this season they've only mentioned 9 draws and a loss - Ted should be facing the sack and the team relegation at this rate, not all happy families and hugs from the owner. Not to mention funds being pulled from sponsors over last episode....

The 1st season shone because of Ted dealing with fans, players and expecations over a linked up series. This season it's all individual episodes, with little follow through story line, and no tension. I mean even the psychiatrist was missing this episode, the dead dog is forgotten about, Jamie Tartt has caused no ripples, the sponsorship row never mentioned, Nate becoming a bully of new kit guy, all just single episode issues that vanish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

You've hit the nail on the head especially last paragraph.

I'm not writing it off but I wonder have the writers/showrunners changed?

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,763 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Il admit it this weeks Xmas episode was bloody shocking

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Christmas episode I'll see as existing a bit in its own bubble. I'd be very surprised if we don't see some outcomes of losing their biggest sponsor in the next episode.

It'd be a bit dull to re-thread Ted facing the sack again this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its a blip I hope. Would have been acceptable at Christmas just about. The show has always been saccharin and obvious. Thats its charm. Just wasn't expecting a christmas episode in August !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's like the episode was made for a different audience to be honest.

The Higgins dinner was waaaay OTT.

Drowning the underprivileged kids in an insane amount of presents seemed a cloying.

The Roy & Keeley side-story was funny for about one scene, and then just went on and on and on.

Also, was that Christmas Day? Is Boxing Day not one of the busiest days in the football calendar, and the lads are flooring Tequila the night before?

Episode went downhill as soon as the intro credits start. I know we're all aboard the Roy Kent bangwagon, but Jamie's top class. The bubble he lives in makes for some great moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Christmas episode wasn't amazing a bit too mawkish... especially towards the end...but Roy got some brilliant lines!

"I think you might be dying"

And the paw patrol one ha.

Some seriously harsh reviews here :(

Hopefully back on top form next episode

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭archfi

Episode 5 - return to form.

Keep the focus (or as much as possible) on Roy Kent and everything will be fine.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah that was a top episode. Roy Kent is just such an amazing character. The wigwam teepee joke completely caught me off guard too.

• Advertisement

I'll forgive the Christmas blip because the latest episode was Ted Lasso on speed. Absoulute brilliance. It shouldn't work, the cheese and shmaltz but it does. Kinda like Ted !!

Christmas episode wasn't up to usual standard alright (it wasn't awful imo) but the latest one was terrific! I'm definitely a rom-communist! Brill to see Nick Mohammed getting some more screen time to shine, very funny character.

Roy again though....lol

Yeah, one of the best episodes to date.

That said, kinda feel Ted is getting the short straw this season, he's a bit on the periphery. I know they're hinting at his struggle to cope with pressure etc, but there's not a massive amount of depth to it.

Isaac resolution kinda annoyed me though.

Roy makes him captain because he respects the whole angry man thing, but somehow helping him finds his way, playing rough and ready football results in him having a load of dorky handshakes and acting totally out of character. It's just a bit naff.

Everything Roy was perfect this episode. Perfect.

Its slightly in danger of becoming the Roy Kent Show. Great character and brilliantly played but the heart of the show is Ted and should be kept as such. Although if they do a Roy Kent show spinoff I'll be watching !!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another great episode. Really moves things along. Was sure it was going to be Ted that was messaging Rebecca, but this could be much more interesting. Roy Kent continues to be the best character in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not finding this series as entertaining as the first.

Seems to be a lot more of a cheesy, feel-good vibe about it, making it too sickly sweet. And that vibe doesn't sit well with a show with so much crude language. If it wasn't for the language, a younger audience might find it enjoyable, but its R Rated with the language.

They should make this season the last.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The ending, with Ted having a break down, shows it's not all sickly sweet. I've seen a few articles discussing it, and there's an argument there that the "Ted-isms" have been deliberately forced and cheese-y as Ted deals with his own feelings.

I'd also agree with what the TV's producer came out and said that we've only seen half the story so far and that there's more to unfurl - something that we're now starting to see pay off for Ted at least. So I'm looking to see how it plays out.

It's Apple's TV's biggest show (by a long way) and already renewed for a third (allegedly final) season.

I haven't seen that episode yet!

I also know why the team is not doing well. Their captain is overweight and doesn't look like an athlete at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Ha yeah a few of the players don't look like athletes but you can see that sometimes in premier league teams when they get relegated and they can't get rid of their overweight and overpaid players but have to play them.

I think after an uneven start to the season the last two episodes have ben great. I can't see Sudeikis staying past next season with his children in the states (a bit like Ted) and can't see myself watching the show without him in it.

• Advertisement

"Your an ugly ugly boy with bad hair"

Fun episode this week.

Nice to see some more football this week.

Is that series 2 over?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭markc91

The first season of Ted Lasso premiered on Apple TV+ on August 14, 2020, and ran for 10 episodes, until October 2, 2020.[2][19] On August 19, 2020, it was renewed for a second season consisting of 12 episodes, which premiered on July 23, 2021.[3][4][5] In October 2020, the series was renewed for a third season.[6]

Ted & therapist was a bit slow, he accepted he needed help at the end of the last episode, it took a whole episode for him to reach that point again.

Really curious where Nate is going, he's potentially becoming the sole "bad guy" on the show.

Jamie is criminally underused.

Roy/Keeley was good - they didn't blow it into a big relationship drama, it was resolved with some level of levelheadedness. Keeley not singing "He's here, he's there, he's every f*cking where" seems like a missed opportunity.

Completley on the fence with Rebecca & Sam. Both are likeable characters, but just don't see it going anywhere. I can see Sam making some noble gesture about protecting her from the PR hassle it would land Rebecca in, especially if the DubaiAir stuff resurfaced.

The whole Nate being mean doesn't really ring true to me.

Roy reading the da Vinci code...lol

Jamie is definitely a bit underserved this series but it is funny in the scenes he pops up in.

I like Rebecca and Sam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,897 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Yeah have to agree wish they went further with the therapist bit but the Roy and Keeley stuff saved the episode. Hate the Sam/Rebecca and especially Nate drama. wish they hadn't made Nate so unlikely for so long this season.

A great episode. Such a good use of music. I was worried for a sec about Roy and Keeley then I remembered its Ted Lasso. The show doesn't have a cynical bone in its body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I wouldn't say I'm enjoying the nate storyline but it's interesting to see the power of social media can have on someone especially how that one mean tweet is what affects him

Advertisement