Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It’s your lowest that it has been in the last 365 days.

it’s not that difficult to grasp surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

you need a degree in maths to work out your new index after playing a 9 hole comp :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Did you not play golf last year? At changeover all your old scores were converted to WHS and your handicap index calculated from each round on a rolling basis. Your lowest index couldn't have been on the 1st January since we weren't playing golf on that day. If that was your actual lowest index in the last twelve months, it must relate to a round played last year before lockdown and when we were playing handicap qualifiers. So I would suspect that it would have come from a round played before the 1st November.

Why don't you just check your Golf Ireland record? It works it out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭coillcam

The winner of a local open comp a few weeks back was a visitor who had 56 points off 41. Now if I could just knock 20 shots off my score I'd be in the plus HC range 😂. Some of the local members were absolutely apoplectic and a few mentioned putting HC caps on entrants.

That said if I look at it without screaming bandit for a moment.... I started off regularly shooting 110+ when I started last summer and I score mostly in the mid-low 90s with a PB of 90 (current HC is 17 on WHS). My initial HC was 21 and the best of my first three cards was 105 IIRC.

Had our HC secretary assigned me an initial HC of 30+ to match my cards and had I not played many competitions, it's conceivable that I could have turned in a score around 48-50 points this year.

Is it possible for someone to improve this much in a year as a complete beginner (15 to 20 shots)?

• 100% yes, I've done it myself.

Should the winner's HC have been in the high 20s or low 30s and should their HC secretary assign something in this range?

• Possibly, I don't know enough or have enough experience in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Is there a minimum number of comps you need to play in during the year for your handicap to remain valid? A friend isn't submitting his cards at the moment because he doesn't really care for competition, it's not why he plays the game he says. In reality, he doesn't like that his handicap is high and hates that it should be higher, so isn't submitting cards when his playing partners do.

Now, if he improves and starts playing to his handicap and then some day shoots 38 or 40 points, would that score be valid for competition purposes? I believe he has submitted one score in 2021 and none in 2020. He has had one round with 38 points this year and was seething that he couldn't submit it because he didn't declare it before, while at the same time saying he didn't care! 😂

This is something as a h/c sec that I dread. You get a score like that coming in and you know the jungle drums are starting up and the arrows will soon follow. I'd imagine that h/c sec is thanking his lucky stars that it was an away score 😂. I've given out 54 indexes (two iirc) in my time and both did improve, but not to that extent. One had 48 points and the other had something like 38 points iirc.

When you're getting initial handicap cards in the 130+ range, it's very hard to find a good reason not to award the maximum index. You know they will improve, but you don't know when they will. It's easier at the lower level, you can put in an adjustment of 3 or 4 and usually that works out well enough. But it's very hard to pick a number that's going to be accurate when they are so big. And you really do have to have a good reason to cut someone's allocated index by what would need to be over one third.

Without knowing that guy's record (if he even has one of any size) you'd have to assume that he's early enough in his counting rounds (maybe five or six at the most - based on the large improvement) so I would think his new index is down by around 10 to 15. One of our 54 index guys went from 54 to 36 in three rounds without scoring anything like 56 points. As I said, best was 38 points.

The bottom line for h/c secs is that you watch new indexes carefully. WHS does front load by always picking the best score in the early stages and you can reasonably assume that a new guy with a high index is only really going to get one good score before the system cuts them back.

Locker room was shut when we finished and cards not entered on the computer. Cards entered the day after by comp sec. I was out again and would have meant playing of the wrong handicap ( 1 shot less) so had to manually calculate it.

Have you no online access to enter scores? Most (if not all) of the major software vendors have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Well now I know what course you're a member off as one of our members in my club shot 56 points off a 41 handicap at an unmentioned away course :D. I can attest to the member who would be one of our more senior golfers, in his youth would have played to a 7ish handicap but is very very far from his youth now. Coincidentally, it was a 93 gross he shot at your course. In the same week, 2 years ago, he shot the same 93 gross at the same course - although, he was playing off around 20 at that time. I think he just likes that week on your course :D

He was only cut 10 shots for his good score, but like that, it could be 2 years before he does it again

• Advertisement

Club is using intelligent golf. Can see link to enter a non competitive score. I will look at it tomorrow after my round to see if its available. Possible that the club has this disabled so that cards/scores are only entered via kiosk or an admin.

A quick Google search seems to indicate that there is a phone app anyway.

Have the app installed. Was out with Club Manager today its a setting under the admin panel for each competition.. They generally have it set for card entry only at locker room kiosk.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same with all the software packages. Most clubs implemented it when the rules changed on scorecards because of covid. Surprised that some still have that turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

The WHS Bandits strike again in our club for the captains prize. A guy off 10 wins it with a level par round. hadnt shot near his handicap for about a year in any counting comps. Anyway this man is a long time trying to win a captains so i don't begrudge him.

Question i have though is when i look at his round on the app, his differential is coming up at 0 for a par round, however mine is coming in at 10 for a +9 round. Should we not be working from the same calculations? Also the guy that came second shot a level par round and his score differential is 1.

PCC - is it an automatic calculation or a manual? we had a 3/4 club wind yesterday and i would have thought it would be in use today.

Post edited by DuckSlice on

By the sound of it, he'd have had the same result under CONGU. Hadn't shot near his handicap for a year, so no cuts and probably a bunch of 0.1s.

Calculation for score differential is (SR/113)*(AGS-CR-PCC), so the closer your AGS gets to CR, the less the adjustment is. It effectively comes down to a multiply by zero calculation or close enough to be inconsequential.

PCC is calculated automatically overnight by the WHS portal. It's not done at club software level.

This fella was off 2 about 3 years ago, so max he would be at now is 5/6 on CONGU, if he had 3/4 years of 0.1s. 5.4 when the WHS was introduced 8 months ago. He regularly shot level par in winter league non counting rounds.

I've given up on club comps now as at this rate i need to be shooting +2/+3 to even have a chance of a win. not easy when I'm just coming to terms of playing off 7. Id never be this low off the old system. I got a reduction for 2 38pts which would have had no change to my handicap on CONGU. I want to get low though so all good.

I understand the calculation, but i don't understand how 2 people having the same score have different differentials. Played on the same day on the same course.

Player A - AGS 71 - Score differential 0

Player B - AGS 71 - Score differential 1

• Registered Users Posts: 38 NedBagg

we have had about 4 guys winning off 50pts plus this year.. A few weeks ago at our captains qualifier we had a 63 leading on day one and then a 59 on the next day... it is impossible to win an overall from Cat 1 with Cat 4 golfers now winning around 70% of the all the overall prizes...I think this is wide open to abuse if you have 2 guys who want to do it...

Its great to see people winning that have never won before. I have no problem with that. I know people on the old system that were never off their proper handicap and were always getting 0.1's or the rare time they were in the buffer. Its the lads genuinely abusing the system which is the issue. there is some lads putting in crazy casual scores to only turn it around for a big comp and shoot level par.

Does a club have the ability to suspend someone from submitting casual rounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

If he was playing off 10 he could have a CH of 11, which would bring his score differential down one extra stroke. Whereas the other player may have a CH and PH equal to each other so no impact to the differential

Playing handicap and course handicap are irrelevant for calculating your differential. They aren't in the calculation, unless I'm interpreting the calculation wrong.

I wonder is it something to do with an ESR? he shot -10 to his playing handicap so that might be doing something to the calculation?

Could he have had a couple of birdies and 1 big number that is giving him 1 better for adjusted gross?

Are you sure CH is used in the differential calculation? is it not just, Slope, CR, PCC and AGS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

The CH handicap is only used to calulate the AGS in the event of scoring over the nett double bogey for your CH, or not finishing a hole in Stableford. It is the AGS that is used to calculate the score differential. In the example given the AGS were identical.

To include PH for each golfer in case it helps explain the difference in differential.

Player A - PH 10

Player B - PH 7

It is, sorry, mixing things up, changed my post above...to a different question

You could also be correct re an ESR

No nothing like that from what i can see anyway. no "*" beside any score.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brusna

The guy off 10 would have had an esr or -1 applied to all of his last 20 score differentials. The guy off 7 probably not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I did notice that for a friend of mine as I was using a spreadsheet to calculate the score differential they were coming up on Golf Ireland as 1 more less than I was calculating. This was before 20 cards were in. Once 20 cards were in the following calculations were normal. I didnt see any mention of this in any of the official documentation on WHS.

I am not saying that this explains it, but it was an anomaly that I noticed on Golf Ireland.

Advertisement