Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Phil.x wrote: »
    I see the home owner is blocking off the footpath outside their home so the new footpath and cyclelane cannot continue. They have used garden stones, flower pots and metal barriers.
    Can you submit a report on FixYourStreet.ie to about illegal dumping on the footpath?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I see the home owner is blocking off the footpath outside their home so the new footpath and cyclelane cannot continue. They have used garden stones, flower pots and metal barriers. This is beside the canal at clonsilla going upto St Joseph hospital which is resulting in people walking and cycling on the road for 40 or 50 feet.
    Old screenshots photo.

Confused. What are we meant to looking at in that photo? Do you just mean this location.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hardly think a few plant pots and the odd painted rock is going to stop a civil contractor in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see the home owner is blocking off the footpath outside their home so the new footpath and cyclelane cannot continue. They have used garden stones, flower pots and metal barriers. This is beside the canal at clonsilla going upto St Joseph hospital which is resulting in people walking and cycling on the road for 40 or 50 feet.
    Old screenshots photo.

I've noticed that too as I run by there often and it's handier to avoid the much more congested and narrower path opposite but its dangerous having to run or walk out on the open road bend for that obstructed section. There are two private entrances and both have blocked the path. While the St Josephs development haven't technically finished the last 20 feet of new footpath adjacent, once they have finished, I'd be expecting those 2 residents to remove their unsightly obstructions too.

I don't see how they can claim ownership of path outside their walls. If someone wants to trespass on their property, a few flowerpots and hand scribbled private property signs will not be a deterrent so I'm not sure what their motivation is by causing that obstruction. Instead they are creating a dangerous situation for pedestrians and other road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Chrisam wrote: »
    I see today that an application has gone in to APB for 198 build to rent apartments, in the grounds of the Old Schoolhouse, Porterstown Road. Add that to the 350 apartments planned behind St Mochta's school and you have 500+ apartments feeding traffic on to the Clonsilla Road (as a cul de sac, if the level crossing is closed). All happening right beside a primary school. Housing needed yes, but I don't agree with pushing all that extra traffic on to the Clonsilla Rd, right beside a primary school. Let's hope they all cycle!

This has been rejected by ABP, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Polar101

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Confused. What are we meant to looking at in that photo? Do you just mean this location.

The issue is that there is a new cycle track/footpath built to west side of the road (right side of the road in this picture), but it ends abruptly at this spot. The footpath continues after the gap, but is very narrow until it reaches the Clonsilla station park&ride section of the road (around where that car on the left is just coming from), where it becomes a wider footpath/cycle track again. And it seems the narrow bit is now blocked by the houseowners.

Here is it on Google maps - most of the new cycle track/footpath is visible outside St. Joseph's (west side of the road). Street view is not current, and doesn't show the St. Joseph's estate.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3849115,-6.4281476,237m/data=!3m1!1e3

Cycle paths, or foot paths that abruptly end for no reason leaving you on the road is so common in D15 I assumed it's done deliberately by someone in a Fungal having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭raheny red

Jesus C, on top of the 30 minute delays I heard about on the Westmanstown Road lately thanks to the closure of Lucan-Clonee, that'll be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, traffic pretty much at standstill there today. Hopefully there was no structural damage to the bridge and that they get it assessed quickly. I didn't notice any obvious damage myself, but I'm not a bridge engineer so I'm not declaring it safe just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It is really nothing short of a complete scandal why the Dublin - Maynooth line hasn’t been electrified for high capacity DART services by now, let alone 25 years ago when it should have been done.

This was promised to Dublin 15 back in the 1990s - three decades later, still nada.

Public transport in Dublin 15 is very, very poor for an area of comparable population to Limerick. Remember this the next time the politicos come knocking at your door...

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Jesus C, on top of the 30 minute delays I heard about on the Westmanstown Road lately thanks to the closure of Lucan-Clonee, that'll be a nightmare.

This road is back open today when I came through, the new pipeline crossing is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

The planning system is like someone deciding they need to clog their most important arteries, a prime example is allowing LIDL and ALDI to open opposite each other on East Wall Road, one of the most important North/South routes through the city. A child playing Sim City wouldn't do it.

Agreed, to add insult to injury there is a planning application going in for a 15 storey building where the car dealer is on the corner.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/east-wall-rd-mixed-use-15-fls-planning.2280605/

https://www.davey-smith.com/our-work/east-wall-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,130 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

kravmaga wrote: »
    Agreed, to add insult to injury there is a planning application going in for a 15 storey building where the car dealer is on the corner.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/east-wall-rd-mixed-use-15-fls-planning.2280605/

https://www.davey-smith.com/our-work/east-wall-road/

Seems like a sensible enough application for the location.

blanch152 wrote: »
    Seems like a sensible enough application for the location.

Out of curiosity what would you consider a bad location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

raheny red wrote: »

A good trial for when the level crossing is closed for DART.

A good trial for when the level crossing is closed for DART.

..and Kellystown is added lol..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Castleknock gate is closed tomorrow from 7am to 7am Monday according to the sign at the gate. Restoring the old gates apparently. I think Ashtown might be affected too but not sure if it's the same timing.

Works on the Ashtown gate are complete. Looks well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Wow, traffic all along the manorfield drive which is normal at 8.30am but the entire ongar road from allendale to powercity completely jamed, then 2/3rd of the road beside the canal at clonsilla Station and complete gridlock both ways just over the canal and tracks at clonsilla Station, all of this and not one new house built in the fields at the back on hansfield yet.

I'm not looking forward to the traffic when my WFH ends. All back to the rat race.

Well that was new, I get the train at clonsilla every morning, i cycle and the traffic levels are fine. Today I got a lift and the traffic is at complete gridlock so much so I jump out near the new St Joseph's housing estate and upon entry to the station I noticed the traffic backed up right over the rail bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I've noticed the park and ride spaces up from Clonsilla train station are all fully occupied again on week days. That's the first time I've seen this since pre Covid. I'm wondering are more and more companies taking the Twitter approach of expecting workers back in the office full time again?

I don't think so.

Much more likely that people themselves are tired of looking at the wall of the box room, or at their own family.

Certainly road traffic levels are up also, but blended working is only going to become more normalised, not less. There's a good chance that the Government will mandate a reduction in physical commuting again, if not for fuel shortage reasons, then to meet emissions targets.

Lengthy delays in Blanch Village atm with the roadworks at The Bell junction. Anyone know how long these are going on for?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,130 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Looking at it they did one side of the road first and are now on the other side, probably the best part of this week at least before they finish.

Does anyone know why lots of tree's on this corner were chopped down, lots of big healthy looking tree's.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭danfrancisco83

The trees hanging out over the road look kind of dodgy. They have planted new trees there, so I'd say it's just safety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

This leaflet came through the door last week which somewhat explains the reasoning for cutting down trees, nothing to do with them looking dodgy but instead to improve sightlines.

"This work will include a new set of pedestrian lights and was necessitated by the large number of representations both FCC and local councillors were receiving about pedestrians crossing at the dangerous bend of the Old Clonsilla Road because a section of the path has been blocked off. This unfortunately necessitates the removal of a small number of trees to improve sightlines."

So as pictured in the leaflet why has a section of the path been blocked off? Surely the railings and flower pots can be removed to allow pedestrians walk towards the canal and train station without the need to cross the road and yet more pedestrian lights?

Advertisement