Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Walking or cycling to local services is great, until you need to bring home a load of groceries, or it's raining...
    I do my weekly shop on my bike (my heaviest load was 30kg). I'll concede that I'm an outlier but so many people drive when they could cycle or walk e.g. a 1km trip to Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

A cyclist was knocked off his bike at the allendale roundabout this evening, not sure what happened but luckily he had his helmet on as his head smashed the windscreen said the garda. It took about 15/20 mins for ambulance, but fire brigade arrived in minutes.

I came across the scene today and I think he was with 3 other people on bikes, not roadies but dressed in trousers and jumper like the others, maybe about 25 years of age, then what looked like his boss arrived in a black Tesla to talk to the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see the foundations are well advanced for the new 8 storey apartment blocks (211 apartments in total) to going up on the site between Windmill and Station Courts and the canal. Will be quite a visible development from the Dr. Troy bridge on completion.

http://windmillshd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Bridge at station court road blocked

https://fb.watch/5HnwE_hWBd/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Not "blocked" but "scrapped".

More info:
    Iarnród Éireann and DART+West conducted the first round of public consultations between August and October last year and took on board the strong local opposition regarding the Coolmine level crossing closure preferred option. After a multi-criteria analysis was conducted on all options, taking into account the 900 submissions on Coolmine, the following is now the preferred option.
    • The permanent closure of Coolmine level crossing turning the Coolmine Road and Carpenterstown Road into cul-de-sacs at the train station
    • Provision of a pedestrian & cyclist bridge at Coolmine Station, linking Coolmine Road to Carpenterstown Road
    • As an alternative to the provision of a new vehicular bridge, the existing local road network and some junctions will be upgraded

Traffic modelling and road junction analysis has informed the selection of the preferred option. The upgraded road junctions, including change from roundabouts to signalised junctions, are proposed to accommodate the increase in traffic. The junction upgrade solutions proposed are considered adequate to accommodate diverted traffic volumes associated with the closure of Coolmine level crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Bridge at station court road blocked

https://fb.watch/5HnwE_hWBd/

That quite surprising..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Phil.x wrote: »
    Man when will all this building in D15 stop.
    Roads, rail, bus, amenities are at breaking point and in some cases broken.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/barnhill-local-area-plan-2017-2023-strategic-issues-paper

Dublin is one of the least densely populated cities in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

raheny red wrote: »

Despite all the route selection guff, its just a third lane from the M50 to the M3 in the median. Its a pity it wasn't tied in to the Snugborough bridge works and get the whole lot delivered together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Flinty997 wrote: »
    That quite surprising..

I guess having one less railway crossing point is what people wanted. It’s not what I wanted but I respect the will of the local community. I have serious concerns this will just concentrate more traffic at other crossings. It’ll be interesting to see what the proposed road upgrade options are. Either way please just get on with the Dart upgrade.
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Despite all the route selection guff, its just a third lane from the M50 to the M3 in the median. Its a pity it wasn't tied in to the Snugborough bridge works and get the whole lot delivered together.

You have to laugh at it really. All sorts of nonsense that probably cost a fortune when anyone could have told you building the extra lanes in the central median was the obvious answer. It was designed with this in mind. I don’t think it will help with city bound traffic as you’ll just get to the traffic faster but it will be a great help for the outbound flow so people aren’t blocked by exiting blanch area traffic.

• Advertisement

IngazZagni wrote: »
    ...I guess having one less railway crossing point is what people wanted. It’s not what I wanted but I respect the will of the local community. I have serious concerns this will just concentrate more traffic at other crossings. It’ll be interesting to see what the proposed road upgrade options are. Either way please just get on with the Dart upgrade....

At least this way the DART upgrade is not blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

At least this way the DART upgrade is not blocked.

Are the other level crossings such as Ashtown, Porterstown and Clonsilla all to permanently close to motor traffic too to facilitate DART West? I assume the new road to west of Educate Together Hansfield will have to get in place prior to closing Clonsilla level crossing? Porterstown should really be a non issue as there is so little traffic and residents on that road. Ashtown I thought might cause issue as there is a fair population in the Rathborne development impacted by that closure but I don't hear anyone up in arms about that the way Coolmine residents were.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd say theres a bit more water to go under the bridge before the Coolmine crossing is agreed and resolved. It will be very problematic.

You'll never build enough crossings or junctions to handle the amount of road traffic caused by all the housing that is being planned.

Same all over tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

ongarboy wrote: »
    Are the other level crossings such as Ashtown, Porterstown and Clonsilla all to permanently close to motor traffic too to facilitate DART West? I assume the new road to west of Educate Together Hansfield will have to get in place prior to closing Clonsilla level crossing? Porterstown should really be a non issue as there is so little traffic and residents on that road. Ashtown I thought might cause issue as there is a fair population in the Rathborne development impacted by that closure but I don't hear anyone up in arms about that the way Coolmine residents were.

The Rathborne crossing was a great outcome because it closes the crossing, but the road will now pass under the canal, no bridge needed and through traffic is taken further away from people's houses. None of that applied to Coolmine, unfortunately, hence the differing responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

daymobrew wrote: »
    Not "blocked" but "scrapped".

More info:

I can't wait to see the traffic this is going to cause in the area.

I can't wait to see the traffic this is going to cause in the area.

I've avoided coolmine crossing for years. There bridges either side of it. Why choose a route that's going to be closed and thus blocked 50% of the time.

The only future for all of D15 is more traffic. There is no of avoiding that with all the housing being planned.

This thread was started 4yrs ago this was the question...
    Man when will all this building in D15 stop.
    Roads, rail, bus, amenities are at breaking point and in some cases broken.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/barnhill-local-area-plan-2017-2023-strategic-issues-paper

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I'd say theres a bit more water to go under the bridge before the Coolmine crossing is agreed and resolved. It will be very problematic.

The bridge will be built following the outcry over the traffic issues caused by the closure of Coolmine crossing. It will be funny to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

blanch152 wrote: »
    The bridge will be built following the outcry over the traffic issues caused by the closure of Coolmine crossing. It will be funny to watch.

There will be outrage when people living on the coolmine cross realise they can't drive and park in the station. You'd never know maybe people might turn to radical means of transport, like a 10 minute walk instead of driving to the station.

• Advertisement

" The junction upgrade solutions proposed are considered adequate to accommodate diverted traffic volumes associated with the closure of Coolmine level crossing."

"Adequate" Sounds unconvincing at best.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There will be outrage when people living on the coolmine cross realise they can't drive and park in the station. You'd never know maybe people might turn to radical means of transport, like a 10 minute walk instead of driving to the station.

I know a few people including myself that drive not to avoid walking but because they have other trips before and/or work that require a car, and have limited time to get it all done.

It's not like anyone would choose to drive 20 mins in heavy traffic to avoid a 10 Min walk. At least I assume they wouldn't.

I know a few people including myself that drive not to avoid walking but because they have other trips before and/or work that require a car, and have limited time to get it all done.

It's not like anyone would choose to drive 20 mins in heavy traffic to avoid a 10 Min walk. At least I assume they wouldn't.

No need to justify yourself.

No need to justify yourself.

I was just putting a different perspective on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

True. Loads don't though. A neighbour of mine justified driving the 700 metres from the house because there was more parking available when they introduced the paid parking.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

There must not have been enough of them vocal enough to sway the proposal.
    They will still be able to drive and take longer to get there then walking. If that's their preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They will still be able to drive and take longer to get there then walking. If that's their preference.

People who are happy with a planning proposal rarely contribute to the debate. Those with an objection or a complaint always make the largest contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Just to be clear, no one has had a chance to comment on the proposal yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Just to be clear, no one has had a chance to comment on the proposal yet.

People had ample opportunities to make their voice heard about which option they liked the best and hated the most. This is one of those options. Irish Rail preferred a different option but have now selected this other option after public outcry.

However yeah I'm sure this isn't the last outcry we will hear. There's no option that will please everyone.

• Advertisement

I see the home owner is blocking off the footpath outside their home so the new footpath and cyclelane cannot continue. They have used garden stones, flower pots and metal barriers. This is beside the canal at clonsilla going upto St Joseph hospital which is resulting in people walking and cycling on the road for 40 or 50 feet.
    Old screenshots photo.

Advertisement