Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should NPHET be disbanded ?

• 06-07-2021 1:20pm

There was a poll on this last autumn and it was a No from boards at the time

Should NPHET be disbanded ? 354 votes

Yes
    68% 244 votes
    No
    31% 110 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

To clarify on my yes. I feel a board of advisors from a cross section of life such as economists, psychologists, social welfare experts etc. should replace it. Edit: as well as health, virology experts of course.
    There should be no leader of this new board. A regular report can be compiled for government to aid their decisions. Meeting minutes should be made public and no member is permitted to use social media to advance or publicise their personal views. This is no longer an emergency. Time to manage and develop how we live with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Relax brah

No definitely not - they have other duties outside of covid, anyone who suggests otherwise doesn’t know what are taking about it.

It would be more dangerous to disband at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

NSYnC were so I suppose it's inevitable isn't it? Tony and the Boys will re-form for the next Pandemic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

What is with the hatred towards Nphet? The WHO has said we are in a dangerous part of the pandemic and it's not over yet. Yet no bitching goes on about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭POBox19

Pwindedd wrote: »
    To clarify on my yes. I feel a board of advisors from a cross section of life such as economists, psychologists, social welfare experts etc. should replace it. There should be no leader of this new board. A regular report can be compiled for government to aid their decisions. Meeting minutes should be made public and no member is permitted to use social media to advance or publicise their personal views. This is no longer an emergency. Time to manage and develop how we live with this.

What would 'economists, psychologists, social welfare experts' know about public health? About as much as the elected government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

To clarify on my yes. I feel a board of advisors from a cross section of life such as economists, psychologists, social welfare experts etc. should replace it. There should be no leader of this new board. A regular report can be compiled for government to aid their decisions. Meeting minutes should be made public and no member is permitted to use social media to advance or publicise their personal views. This is no longer an emergency. Time to manage and develop how we live with this.
    Must get the Hubble to find this universe
    https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/multimedia/index.html

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

POBox19 wrote: »
    What would 'economists, psychologists, social welfare experts' know about public health? About as much as the elected government.

NPHET seems so preoccupied about COVID that forgets about different aspects of public health: cancer and depression to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Disbanding a National Public Health Emergency Team in the middle of a National Public Health Emergency, is...misguided...to put it very politely.

It's the kind of thing Trump or Bolsonaro would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Notmything

What is with the hatred towards Nphet? The WHO has said we are in a dangerous part of the pandemic and it's not over yet. Yet no bitching goes on about them.

Something something not elected etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The WHO can be ignored, NPHET provides advice that affects our lives in a very direct way. The government could say thanks but no thanks to what they say. It will be disbanded once it is no longer required so some time after we get everyone vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,101 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It should not be disbanded. It should though be instructed to work with the Government. There has been little if any evidence of this and it is the Government that should force the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,301 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes, time to get rid of the prohibitionist case count fetishists and let the country open up

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

The WHO has a worldwide remit so given worldwide vaccination rates and disease spread, the situation is probably somewhat comparable to Ireland in late January. NPHET issues advice for one country only.

Personally I'd say no with the caveat of tweaking it to include economists and have a wider panel of people

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Beasty wrote: »
    It should not be disbanded. It should though be instructed to work with the Government. There has been little if any evidence of this and it is the Government that should force the point.
    Yes, there is a sense that they believe that only they can make these decisions. No danger of our government moving on that for a good while.

seamus wrote: »
    Disbanding a National Public Health Emergency Team in the middle of a National Public Health Emergency, is...misguided...to put it very politely.

A public health emergency with less than 20 people in ICU in the whole country for weeks now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I’ve edited my original post. I just think a multi faceted approach to COVID is required. It really isn’t just a health issue anymore IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There is no way the Government would ever disband NPHET because they are a convenient scapegoat for them when people are giving out about public health measures. This is now the third time the spin doctors in government have allowed NPHET to take the heat, and the media/public are quite happy to follow the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,165 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Preposterous to even consider such a suggestion.

Should be renamed the Lemming Thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Don't think they should be disbanded but I do think that members of NPHET need to change every 3 or 4 months to avoid exhaustion and group think. Get in fresh ideas.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

No it shouldn't - it serves a purpose in providing medical advice and health guidelines to the government.

The government's job though is to take that advice into consideration when making a decision - and that can include ignoring elements of it. It can also include questioning the advice be it asking about their modelling or seeking clarification. They've got a wider responsibility that includes the economy, society, etc and they need to be able to factor those in. They've been very weak doing this and trying to use December/January fallout (when he had no vaccinations) as a means of weaseling out of making tougher decisions.

• Advertisement

Well alternatively we need a separate panel of those with equal input to any decisions around opening or closing businesses.

seamus wrote: »

The closest thing we have in Ireland to a Trump or Bolsanaro is the current head of NPHET. Tweeting about everything and anything like a loose cannon. Micheal Martin is the anti-Trump or Bolsonaro - he has no opinions of his own whatsoever.

This isn't the remit of a public health advisor .... he should advise in private.

557761.png

I voted Yes, mainly due to the ‘large’ personalities that have wrestled control of the country through NPHET. Their remit was once to flatten the curve and stop the health service being overwhelmed - it’s now become stop anyone ever getting sick with Covid.

However, I would be willing to have them kept on, with some changes.
    1. There are far too many members of the HSE, to the point that they can never be an impartial group. Every decision is made with our creaking, mis managed health service in mind. Unfortunately this can’t be used to keep other sectors locked.
    2. The Minister for Health should be it’s head and main communicator. There is no need for a CMO or chair to be talking about their feelings in the media.
    3. From the point above, make it clear to NPHET members, you’re either a part of NPHET or you’re an ‘expert’ constantly talking to radio, papers and social media (Favier, Nolan & Holohan take note). You can’t be both, far too much grenades being lobbed into the media.
    4. The minister for finance should be part of the group. NPHET’s decisions (both right and wrong ones) have meant we have to haemorrhage billions. At the very least the MoF needs to have an input as to what their decisions will lead to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,264 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Beasty wrote: »

It should though be instructed to work through the Government, they shouldnt be tweeting or giving the press commentary or appearing on the late late for that matter

FTB2021 wrote: »
    I voted Yes, mainly due to the ‘large’ personalities that have wrestled control of the country through NPHET. Their remit was once to flatten the curve and stop the health service being overwhelmed - it’s now become stop anyone ever getting sick with Covid.

However, I would be willing to have them kept on, with some changes.
    1. There are far too many members of the HSE, to the point that they can never be an impartial group. Every decision is made with our creaking, mis managed health service in mind. Unfortunately this can’t be used to keep other sectors locked.
    2. The Minister for Health should be it’s head and main communicator. There is no need for a CMO or chair to be talking about their feelings in the media.
    3. From the point above, make it clear to NPHET members, you’re either a part of NPHET or you’re an ‘expert’ constantly talking to radio, papers and social media (Favier, Nolan & Holohan take note). You can’t be both, far too much grenades being lobbed into the media.
    4. The minister for finance should be part of the group. NPHET’s decisions (both right and wrong ones) have meant we have to haemorrhage billions. At the very least the MoF needs to have an input as to what their decisions will lead to.

Agree 100%. Spot on.

is_that_so wrote: »
    The WHO can be ignored, NPHET provides advice that affects our lives in a very direct way. The government could say thanks but no thanks to what they say. It will be disbanded once it is no longer required so some time after we get everyone vaccinated.

So....your problem is with the government, who already have lobby groups and voters and the civil service and their own legal and parliamentary advisors to weigh in

What's the problem, other than you dont agree with the govt decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭secman

We should obviously disband it, we have a good cross selection of Publicans, Hoteliers, Restaurant owners, Airline owners to replace them with. These people have all the answers............ i jest and laugh at the notion ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭ted1

To clarify on my yes. I feel a board of advisors from a cross section of life such as economists, psychologists, social welfare experts etc. should replace it. Edit: as well as health, virology experts of course.
    There should be no leader of this new board. A regular report can be compiled for government to aid their decisions. Meeting minutes should be made public and no member is permitted to use social media to advance or publicise their personal views. This is no longer an emergency. Time to manage and develop how we live with this.

They would not be qualified to fulfill NPHETs role. However the government could take NOHETS advise and balance it between input from other stake holders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Jesus can we keep Trump and Balsanero out of this thread, only the truly brainwashed would even consider them relevant to us.

Nphet will never allow society to fully reopen, that much is clear, and it's up to the politicians then to decide whether they wish to go along with that or not.

Advertisement