Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

When was the last time we saw that karate stance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Karate Kid 3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,651 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DodoDojo wrote: »
    Same here, he is still definitely a better striker than Porier and round 1 of the last fight proved that. Dustin had a great game plan and won by calf kicks but Conor will obviously be ready for that this time. You can tell Conor took his time last fight and didn't rush to finish Dustin when he had him hurt in round 1. That definitely wont be the case this time.

I think he will be back to the Karate stance and throwing plenty of kicks himself and will finish Dustin with the left hand like he did in the first fight.

The only way I can see Dustin winning this one is by submission.

Great plan really, Hardly revolutionary was it kick a fella who's main weapon is his hands in the leg ,

It was the obvious road to victory

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

Probably Eddie Alvarez, but it's not like he's forgot how to do it. It doesn't seem like he has been training with Gunni this camp though which is a shame.

Great plan really, Hardly revolutionary was it kick a fella who's main weapon is his hands in the leg ,

Well he was the first person to do it in fairness. I'm sure Aldo had the same game plan.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how good JK was at Karate?. I know he was a black belt but Karate is one of those martial arts where that doesn't necessarily mean much.
    I wonder how much of the Karate stance and in an out movement came from JK or maybe it was more Gunnar Nelson he got it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

If anything it's easier to kick someone in a karate stances leg.

Ush1 wrote: »

Wonderboy and Lyota Machida have never seemed to have too much bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

People tend to have a bit of trouble getting near Wonderboy without getting kicked in the face, have you seen the range he has on that roundhouse kick?

Anyone know when Poirier was meant to be hurt in the last fight? There was one punch where he did a little bounce afterwards, all I could spot.

• Advertisement

Not sure exactly. Conor landed a good solid left in both rounds.
    Dustin says he got hurt and that Conor flashed him here at 7.25:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1QrvDmWIB0&ab_channel=UFC-UltimateFightingChampionship

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

DodoDojo wrote: »
    Does anyone know how good JK was at Karate?. I know he was a black belt but Karate is one of those martial arts where that doesn't necessarily mean much.
    I wonder how much of the Karate stance and in an out movement came from JK or maybe it was more Gunnar Nelson he got it from?

He did kenpo. Says most of what he learnt was a waste of time. He used to be on here all the time years ago espousing the real world benefits of bjj and arguing with traditional ma guys.

You can probably find some of the posts in the archives. He went on some great rants!

Poirier never looked in serious trouble in that fight. He was staggered a couple of times. That's all.

He did kenpo. Says most of what he learnt was a waste of time. He used to be on here all the time years ago espousing the real world benefits of bjj and arguing with traditional ma guys.

You can probably find some of the posts in the archives. He went on some great rants!

Ah interesting. So it was probably Gunnar then, but I find it really interesting that he had such a Karate style when his background was actually boxing.

Conor does move like Gunni even in grappling and I've never seen anyone else with that movement in grappling. Wonder if they are still on good terms?

Any links?

Any links?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=104835

Be warned he was always and arrogant piece of **** even before mcregor got famous. His persona in real life is nothing like the act he puts on for arial etc.

Here's Conors own boards account in case people havent seen it:

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=494972&sort=newest

You have to give it to him, at least he is genuine, unlike JK

• Registered Users Posts: 39,168 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Obvious after the fact. But nobody suggested it in the build up to any of his fights at LW.
    The leg kick was thrown out a lot in the Aldo build up. But southpaw was the big counter. And after that finish, it went away.

Conor can easily prepare for the leg kick this time. But Dustin can easily have an entirely different plan.
    Ush1 wrote: »

Easier to kick the leg. But you’d be kicking it square on the shin, plus they have an easy time checking. Boxing stance you’re hitting it in meat, that’s when it goes dead. Much harder to check.
    He used to be on here all the time years ago espousing the real world benefits of bjj and arguing with traditional ma guys.
    He wasn’t wrong to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It looks like such an easy nights work for Poirier when you watch it back.

It’s crazy how many combinations McGregor throws and misses.

I got rid of iptv last month and got in sky, I'm gone legit! When will I be able to order this pay-per-view? I have ordered pay-per-views in the past but that was from the UFC site directly before BT got exclusive rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I got rid of iptv last month and got in sky, I'm gone legit! When will I be able to order this pay-per-view? I have ordered pay-per-views in the past but that was from the UFC site directly before BT got exclusive rights.

I have sky tv with no Bt sports. Ordered Bt box office with a few clicks last time. Takes about 10 seconds on the remote. Find Bt box office channel on the sky box and follow instructions from there.

GiftofGab wrote: »
    I have sky tv with no Bt sports. Ordered Bt box office with a few clicks last time. Takes about 10 seconds on the remote. Find Bt box office channel on the sky box and follow instructions from there.
    I tried but it's not available yet. I'll try again on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

anyone know if the fight will be shown on dutch tv again this time

Very little talk about this fight even thou it could be potentially the last fight of McGregor.
    UFC countdown is out so that should generate hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Very little talk about this fight even thou it could be potentially the last fight of McGregor.
    UFC countdown is out so that should generate hype.
    Just watched it. Very little footage of the McGregor camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

yeah he seems to have completely curtailed the media presence leading up to this, youd almost forget it was on this saturday!

hard to see him ever fight again if he loses

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

hard to see him ever fight again if he loses

Yeah hes done at LW, would get hammered at WW and cant make FW anymore. So probably the 3rd Diaz fight and maybe Manny and thatll be that.

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah hes done at LW, would get hammered at WW and cant make FW anymore. So probably the 3rd Diaz fight and maybe Manny and thatll be that.

The last thing I want to see is another 'exhibition' boxing fight between mma fighters, over-the-hill boxers, youtube stars etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The last thing I want to see is another 'exhibition' boxing fight between mma fighters, over-the-hill boxers, youtube stars etc.

Manny isn't over the hill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Me too but money talks so theyre here to stay unfortunately. Tyson vs RJ Jnr top 10 boxing PPV buys ever. Mayweather vs Youtuber likely top 20.

What a huge fight for McGregor though. If he loses, hes lost 4 out of 7 fights (5 out of 8 if you count Floyd) in his peak prime years (Aged 26-33).

Hes only beaten a much smaller washed up Alvarez, a washed up Cerrone and a punchbag in Nate through his peak years.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Manny isn't over the hill

Hasnt fought in 2 years and will be destroyed in August I reckon.

Advertisement