Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Think the series is still on netflix.. search it. It's well worth a watch. It's actually better than the film which I would of thought is hard to beat. Between the labyrinth and dark crystal its probs jim Henson's best work imo

EDIT. Yep it's still there. Wish I was watching it again for the first time

I do intend to watch it but I held off until I heard whether it was picked up by another streaming service.

Obviously it isn’t going to be so I will get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I do intend to watch it but I held off until I heard whether it was picked up by another streaming service.

Obviously it isn’t going to be so I will get to it.

"Jealous" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I saw it only has three episode - which means it probably stays on course and doesn’t have padding like other series to drag it out.

So I will give it a look.

I don’t have Sky though so it only be the Netflix one for now.

Definitely no padding! There’s a lot left out!

Addle wrote: »
    Definitely no padding! There’s a lot left out!

Really? What stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I started watching the new documentary on Sophie toscan du plantier earlier and west cork is a beautiful part of the parish as they say, but even in the first episode, there’s some crowd living down there. I remember the murder happening as I was in first year in secondary school at the time and then the subsequent legal actions taken by Ian Bailey. I’m nearly finished the first episode so we will see what it’s like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Really? What stuff?

Check out the West Cork podcast for a more neutral study.

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Blue ruin is a superb movie

Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial

No Country for Old Men

The Serpent Season 1
    In the 1970s, merciless killer Charles Sobhraj preys on travelers exploring the "hippie trail" of South Asia. Based on shocking true events.

Akira
    In this animated film based on the manga series, two childhood friends are pulled into the underworld of Neo-Tokyo and forced to fight for survival.

Audible
    Shaken by a friend's suicide, a Deaf high school football player copes with family and relationships while anticipating his final homecoming game.

Dynasty Warriors
    Warlords, warriors and statesmen wage a battle for supremacy in this fantasy tale based on the hit video games and the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Pokémon Journeys: The Series
    Young trainer Ash and his new friend Goh become research fellows at Professor Cerise's laboratory, traveling all over the world to learn about Pokémon.

My Hero Academia
    After he saves a bully from a Villain, a normal student is granted a superpower that allows him to attend a high school training academy for Heroes.

Mobile Suit Gundam Hathaway (Japanese)
    After Char's rebellion, Hathaway Noa leads an insurgency against Earth Federation, but meeting an enemy officer and a mysterious woman alters his fate.

Generation 56k (Italian)
    A chance encounter leads two 30-somethings to remember 1998, the year their teenage hormones kicked in -- and the internet changed their lives forever.

Young Royals (Swedish)
    Prince Wilhelm adjusts to life at his prestigious new boarding school, Hillerska, but following his heart proves more challenging than anticipated.

An Officer and a Gentleman
    Dreams of being a Navy pilot prompt Zack to enroll in officer training school, where he runs afoul of a drill instructor who aims to change his ways.

Assault on Precinct 13 (remake)
    A Detroit detective takes on an army of deadly criminals who are openly hunting down a notorious drug kingpin in a battle for street sovereignty.

Code Red
    A chemical weapon from World War II is found in present day Bulgaria, where the locals soon learn its ghastly side effect: It causes the dead to rise.

The Contract
    While vacationing with his son, Ray Keene discovers that a hired killer and his team of assassins are tracking the duo's every move.

Could You Survive? Season 1
    Survival expert Creek Stewart shares true stories of people enduring nature's extreme elements and offers ways to escape emergencies in this docuseries.

Crash Pad
    A hopeless romantic thinks he finds love. But when she reveals he's a tool against her cheating husband, he never expected to be roommates with the guy.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Arrow Of the Orion
    The goddess Artemis names Bell as her champion, pulling him, Hestia and the other adventurers of Orario into a quest that crosses the world.

L.A.'s Finest
    Two cops take on the city's most dangerous criminals while trying to leave their complicated pasts behind in this spinoff of the "Bad Boys" franchise.

The Snow Queen
    Brave Ellie sets out on a mission to rescue her brother after he's kidnapped by an evil ruler whose only ambition is to create a never-ending winter

Say I Do (Di que sí)
    A slew of misunderstandings brings exuberant Estrella and shy, reluctant Victor together on a dating show, where they grudgingly get married.

Jungle
    After getting separated from his friends in the middle of the Amazon Jungle, a traveler tries to survive three desperate weeks on his own

The Land Before Time XIV: Journey of the Brave

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

The Talented Mr. Ripley

Fly Away Home

Criminal

Snow White & the Huntsman

The Missing

Nacho Libre

Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius

Me Before You

Bridget Jones's Baby

Coming to America

Puss in Boots

The Tale of Despereaux

added

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I see Akira has been added today so will have to rewatch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

The serpent is good,barely touches his true nature though..still worth watching.

• Advertisement

For a moment I thought The Contract was about hired killers hunting Roy Keene :p

Is L.A.‘s Finest shooty-shooty-bang-bang like Bad Boys? Or just regular cop show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

appledrop wrote: »
    I tried to register but won't accept my postcode.

You need a vpn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d hope most people will have seen Akira, but if you haven’t it remains one of the towering accomplishments of both hand-drawn animation and cinematic sci-fi.

Particularly timely addition considering the Neo Tokyo Olympics fast approach :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

For mindless fun I see Nacho Libre was added. I had been looking out for it a while since I watched School of Rock with the kids.

Hobbs and Shaw, despite the "Fast and furious presents..." tagline, is actually a decent comedic action movie. So much better than the F&F ones anyway which is probably one of the reasons Vin Diesel was bent out of shape.

I’d hope most people will have seen Akira, but if you haven’t it remains one of the towering accomplishments of both hand-drawn animation and cinematic sci-fi.

Particularly timely addition considering the Neo Tokyo Olympics fast approach :p

People who have not seen Akira should be envied as they are in in for stunning treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That Assault on Precinct 13 summary reads like the remake, though it has been a long time since I have seen either so wouldn't be sure. The original is iconic early John Carpenter, though my mind's eye suspects it has aged poorly for its pacing and budget.

pixelburp wrote: »
    That Assault on Precinct 13 summary reads like the remake, though it has been a long time since I have seen either so wouldn't be sure. The original is iconic early John Carpenter, though my mind's eye suspects it has aged poorly for its pacing and budget.

its the remake , not a patch on the original which i watched a couple of months back , still great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The soundtrack in Akira is absolutely astounding as well. The only soundtrack I actually want to own on vinyl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I haven't actually watched Akira in at least 15 years by my reckoning; time for another go. Should be an interesting experience, watching it an older (wiser???) head compared to the handsome, dashing youth I was fadó :pac:
    peteeeed wrote: »
    its the remake , not a patch on the original which i watched a couple of months back , still great

There aren't enough "siege" movies anymore; they're such structurally relatable, easy to coordinate films it's a shame the "oh shít, we're surrounded with only X amount of ammo left" narrative is so passé now. Last I can immediately recall was Siege at Jadotville.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I haven't actually watched Akira in at least 15 years by my reckoning; time for another go. Should be an interesting experience, watching it an older (wiser???) head compared to the handsome, dashing youth I was fadó :pac:

There aren't enough "siege" movies anymore; they're such structurally relatable, easy to coordinate films it's a shame the "oh shít, we're surrounded with only X amount of ammo left" narrative is so passé now. Last I can immediately recall was Siege at Jadotville.

Been longer than that since I’ve seen Akira.

I saw it in a cinema. I think it was 1989 - I know it wasn’t 88.

I owned it on DVD and I have it on iTunes but have held off watching until I replicate the cinema experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I finished the manga last year so this will be my first time watching it since then. Think have seen it twice before. Once when younger and second time when older and understood it better.

As for siege films, VFW is on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

The serpant is a very good watch..

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
    When US agent Luke Hobbs is sent to England to stop a deadly biothreat, he's forced to team up with his nemesis, mercenary Deckard Shaw.

Big Timber: Season 1
    A no-nonsense logger and his loyal crew battle brutal elements and finicky machines to chop and transport valuable lumber on Vancouver Island.

Fear Street Part 1: 1994
    Netflix’s horror trilogy spans three time periods – 1994, 1978 and 1666. It begins in 1994, when a group of teenagers discovers that the terrifying events that have haunted their town for generations ​may all be connected — and that they may be the next targets. Based on RL Stine’s best selling horror series, the trilogy follows the nightmare through Shadyside’s sinister history. Directed by Honeymoon helmer Leigh Janiak.
    Part 2 and 3 arrive on 9th and 16th July.

Mortel: Season 2 (French)
    Sofiane, Victor and Luisa, three seemingly incompatible teenagers find themselves bound together by a supernatural force.

The 8th Night
    With prayer beads in one hand and an ax in the other, a monk hunts down a millennia-old spirit that's possessing humans and unleashing hell on Earth.

The 8th Night
    With prayer beads in one hand and an ax in the other, a monk hunts down a millennia-old spirit that’s possessing humans and unleashing hell on Earth.

Holiday on Mars(Italian)
    A scoundrel's mission to escape his family and remarry on Mars is hilariously scrubbed when a mishap with a black hole turns his son into an old man

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Interested in the first of the Fear Night trilogy (released over the next 3 Fridays).

Getting good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

peteeeed wrote: »

"I have this plan, its called Saveass!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Basq wrote: »
    Interested in the first of the Fear Night trilogy (released over the next 3 Fridays).

Getting good reviews.

Hadn't heard anything about this. It has me very intrigued.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,352 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I have no interest in horror these days but I am curious about the whole Fear Night Trilogy concept. It seems like a real good idea and apparently is quite good so if successful could really set a template for future projects.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looking forward to giving that a look, shame they aren't releasing it around Holloween though.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Looking forward to giving that a look, shame they aren't releasing it around Holloween though.

I only horrors and such at Hallowe’en.

I think though I will look at some summertime slashers over the summer. I haven’t seen that many of them. Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

What can you folks recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I only horrors and such at Hallowe’en.

I think though I will look at some summertime slashers over the summer. I haven’t seen that many of them. Scream and I Know What You Did Last Summer.

What can you folks recommend?

Go with the classics but I dunno how many (if any) are on NF so may be of no help whatsoever. :o

Halloween (78)
    Friday the 13th (81)
    Pieces (82)
    Maniac (80)
    Maniac (2012) - really enjoyable remake
    Prom Night (80)
    House on Sorority Row (83)
    My Bloody Valentine (81)
    The Prowler (81)
    Sleepaway Camp (83)
    Tenebrae (82)
    The Burning (81)