Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are we going for protein?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Just a heads-up that My Protein have a better than usual sale on today. 5kg of regular Whey came to ~€46. Can't remember it ever being that low.

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

Why would they offer so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

markmoto wrote: »

Cause they’re sound

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's to get people addicted to whey, which is a gateway drug.

Before you know it, you're turning tricks in darkened doorways to get your hands on creatine monohydrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Didn't really need more, but pulled the trigger on 2.5kg more of Salted Caramel*, as that's been my go to in recent weeks for my yogurt mix. Rare enough that the codes work with already reduced from RRP products with them.

*I think it's because the Caramel flavour helps with my carb addiction withdrawal symptoms.

It's to get people addicted to whey, which is a gateway drug.

Before you know it, you're turning tricks in darkened doorways to get your hands on creatine monohydrate.

It’s true. I’ve turned that corner. There’s no going back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Possibly to outdo BulkPowders who are running a promotion as part of Amazon PrimeDay (21-22 June)

OmegaGene wrote: »
    ive heard some folks use this to get off the dreaded carb addiction
    Code works for their Maltodextrin.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Code works for their Maltodextrin.

Don’t be such a smartass. Artificial sugars have destroyed families and ruined lives

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Don’t be such a smartass. Artificial sugars have destroyed families and ruined lives

First decent post
    I actually thought for a while you loved that stuff :)

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Cause they’re sound

Sure lol
    A recent report by the Irish Sports Council highlighted that a “significant proportion of supplements available on the market are contaminated with substances which are on the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) Prohibited List.

“A scientifically verified study has shown that on examination of supplements bought from various sources, up to 14.8 per cent of the supplements were contaminated with undeclared substances which were on the Wada prohibited list.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Sure lol
    Not really sure what that has to do with whey protein. Whey isn't banned.
    It's not really clear what you are implying tbh. Do you have a link to this report? Might clarify what you are getting at.

The WADA list is relevant for athletes. It's meaningless for non-athletes. It's not a assessment of health or safety btw. Many normal supplements, and everyday OTC medications area banned for athletes for various reasons.
    It's not just illegal hormones and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Sure lol

A friend works in customs, he's also bodybuilding over 20 years and is very knowledgeable about steds etc and was saying that the stuff that tests positive for contamination tends to be pro hormones / designer hormones, it's a case of the IMB not knowing thats what they are and making statements referring to them as 'contaminated vitamins / protein supplements.

I brought 100 ampoules of testosterone back from Egypt years ago in my suitcase, bought from a pharmacy, and got questioned in Dublin and said it was hair loss stuff and I that i was heading back for a hair transplant in 6 months.

Walked out with the lot!!!

Mellor wrote: »
    Not really sure what that has to do with whey protein. Whey isn't banned.
    It's not really clear what you are implying tbh. Do you have a link to this report? Might clarify what you are getting at.

The WADA list is relevant for athletes. It's meaningless for non-athletes. It's not a assessment of health or safety btw. Many normal supplements, and everyday OTC medications area banned for athletes for various reasons.
    It's not just illegal hormones and the like.

Not saying whey protein is banned, rather absolutely useless form of supplement.
    Protein powder processed supplement comes as package batch to batch might get contaminated with variety of stuff not even printed on label.

Many people think starting a fitness journey goes hand in hand with a heavy supplement stack, but for the majority of people, supplements are not even necessary.
    Buying BCAAs thinking this will help them look leaner quicker when, in reality, the main focus should be on consistency with nutrition and proper food.

First decent post
    I actually thought for a while you loved that stuff :)

I was obviously joking

Not saying whey protein is banned, rather absolutely useless form of supplement

Do you have any evidence that you've based this absolutely nonsense opinion on. Or are you just trying to completely you credibility?

Whey is a natural occur dairy protein. It's just food, not magic.
    Protein powder processed supplement comes as package batch to batch might get contaminated with variety of stuff not even printed on label.

An apple, a natural fruit, products applied to it that are not listed on an ingredient list. That apple could also be contaminated. In fact, there are fresh food recalls all the time for salmonella, e.coli etc.
    Many people think starting a fitness journey goes hand in hand with a heavy supplement stack, but for the majority of people, supplements are not even necessary.
    Very few people think that. Even if they do, nobody here is suggesting that. Once again your ramblings are irrelevant.
    Buying BCAAs thinking this will help them look leaner quicker when, in reality, the main focus should be on consistency with nutrition and proper food.

BCAAs don't make you leaner, and nobody suggests that is the purpose.
    You really need to educate yourself on this really basic stuff before commenting.

Also BCAA are not necessary. That does not mean they are useless.
    Something isn't required to be necessary for it to have a benefit.

Not saying whey protein is banned, rather absolutely useless form of supplement.

What does it get contaminated with that isn't on the label?

You've already been told that the two main whey supplement brands are certified by Informed Sport as well, so doesn't really hold up.

You have been probably the only one in this forum that has mentioned BCAAs in a long time here. One other person maybe. No one else is going on about BCAAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

What does it get contaminated with that isn't on the label?

You've already been told that the two main whey supplement brands are certified by Informed Sport as well, so doesn't really hold up.

You have been probably the only one in this forum that has mentioned BCAAs in a long time here. One other person maybe. No one else is going on about BCAAs.

Bulk powders used to sell novocaine on the sly if you contacted them directly, not a great endorsement really

italodisco wrote: »
    Bulk powders used to sell novocaine on the sly if you contacted them directly, not a great endorsement really

How long ago is 'used to'?

https://sport.wetestyoutrust.com/supplement-search/brand/bulk-powders

"Presence of the Informed Sport supplement certification quality mark on product packaging demonstrates to athletes and consumers that every batch of a product has been tested for substances prohibited in sport and that the product was made in an environment with quality systems appropriate for the stringent demands of sports nutrition manufacturing."

I've only ever used them for whey. The above is sufficient for me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Sure lol

Mod Note: Markmoto don't post in this thread again

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Wow some people really don't understand thermodynamics, or what wadas list is for.
    Whats myprotein like compared to on and olimp in terms of taste and mixing.

• Advertisement

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Whats myprotein like compared to on and olimp in terms of taste and mixing.

Admittedly, I haven't had anything from MyProtein in a while but I tried it after ON and didn't find any noticeable difference in mixing. Preferred the taste to ON, from memory, albeit only had vanilla of either. Found ON to be slightly too sweet, from memory. Well, I found the slightly less sweet taste of MP to be preferable but that's just a subjective thing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Admittedly, I haven't had anything from MyProtein in a while but I tried it after ON and didn't find any noticeable difference in mixing. Preferred the taste to ON, from memory, albeit only had vanilla of either. Found ON to be slightly too sweet, from memory. Well, I found the slightly less sweet taste of MP to be preferable but that's just a subjective thing anyway.

Ah I'd usually stick to strawberry or vanilla because they are the hardest to mess up ha.
    Interesting that they are similar quality given the price of myprotein

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Ah I'd usually stick to strawberry or vanilla because they are the hardest to mess up ha.
    Interesting that they are similar quality given the price of myprotein

I did go for ON for quite some time because I didnt want to spend money on something that was likely to be much poorer by comparison but I gave it a go and found the taste and mixing to be not too dissimilar.

That and the nutritional profile not being a million miles apart were the reason I switched. I remember seeing something on reddit about the protein content on labels versus tested by (no idea if it was just a pet project of someone or what) and both came out pretty well.

I have tried others that were awful though. I didn't realise how much of a mess you could make of something like whey that I'd be binning it but some found a way.

Generally I buy (5kg) MyProtein Vanilla. However, I think I'm converted to Salted Caramel now (that was my last order top up). It is mint with greek yogurt!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Generally I buy (5kg) MyProtein Vanilla. However, I think I'm converted to Salted Caramel now (that was my last order top up). It is mint with greek yogurt!

Greek yoghurt is the genuinely the only reason I get whey

What do you folks do with Greek the yoghurt just mix the two together ?
    My last bag was chocolate peanut butter and it’s rank with water unless it’s almost frozen

Yeah just mix it through. Probably need to like the flavour though but worth a whirl

What do you folks do with Greek the yoghurt just mix the two together ?
    My last bag was chocolate peanut butter and it’s rank with water unless it’s almost frozen
    100g of Greek yogurt, 25g/ scoop of whey for me, just mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Hopefully someone can help me out here...

I'm looking for a protein powder that is free from...
    -Soya
    -Sweeteners(Sucralose, Asparatime, Malitol, sorbitol etc)

Sweetners such as Stevia, Erythritol or Xylitol are ok

Oh and an animal based protein powder, no plant based stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can help me out here...

I'm looking for a protein powder that is free from...
    -Soya
    -Sweeteners(Sucralose, Asparatime, Malitol, sorbitol etc)

Sweetners such as Stevia, Erythritol or Xylitol are ok

Oh and an animal based protein powder, no plant based stuff

Either of these might be worth considering:

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/egg-white-powder/10529687.html

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/hydrolysed-beef-protein/10902405.html
    Unflavoured: Hydrolyzed Beef Protein (99%), Thickener (Xanthan Gum)

You may need to add some sort of flavouring to these to make them palatable

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Either of these might be worth considering:

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/egg-white-powder/10529687.html

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/hydrolysed-beef-protein/10902405.html
    Unflavoured: Hydrolyzed Beef Protein (99%), Thickener (Xanthan Gum)

You may need to add some sort of flavouring to these to make them palatable

It would be a lot easier to pick up a unsweetened (or naturally sweetened) whey from My Protein,

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10530943.html

Advertisement