Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Litter fine

• 28-06-2021 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

My mother has received a €150 euro litter fine.what happens once she pays this fine ??? Would the council matter if I payed it on her behalf ???

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

My mother has received a €150 euro litter fine.what happens once she pays this fine ??? Would the council matter if I payed it on her behalf ???

thanks

Get a receipt and they'll throw the fine in the bin

Ask the council if you can pay it or if they need a bank draft for the exact amount

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

athlone573 wrote: »

Ask the council if you can pay it or if they need a bank draft for the exact amount

By the sounds of it throwing things in the bin is the problem in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

athlone573 wrote: »

Any idea if they take credit card ???
    As there is no mention of it on the fine

Last time I got a fine from a council there was a phone number on the ticket you may try calling it during office hours

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Yes, they take card.

• Advertisement

Yes, they take card.

Ok thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

They will take payment off anyone willing to pay on her behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

thanks

You can pay it by cc, cheque, PO or cash.

They will take payment off anyone willing to pay on her behalf.

It's not for a want but I don't want too see her end up in court over a €150 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It's not for a want but I don't want too see her end up in court over a €150 fine.

Does she not want to pay it

• Advertisement

Does she not want to pay it

Her response was ''over my dead body ''
    So I'll look after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

So I'll look after it.

Ag okay be prepared for a storm when she realised it was paid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

So I'll look after it.

Fcuking wow, so she has no problem with being part of the epidemic of littering and thinks a fine is a problem,

well at least you turned out ok

Ag okay be prepared for a storm when she realised it was paid

It has all ready been forgotten (for now )

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

Until next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What does paying the fine mean? Does it result in some form of admission of guilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Is she disputing that she littered? If she's adamant she didn't, she should challenge it.

Victor wrote: »
    What does paying the fine mean? Does it result in some form of admission of guilt?

I would assume the problem goes away

KaneToad wrote: »
    Is she disputing that she littered? If she's adamant she didn't, she should challenge it.

No disputing the fact.
    I just want it sorted so there is no more issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As far as the Council is concerned, once the fine is paid in a timely fashion, never mind by who, that's an end to the matter. There'll be no more issues — from them.

If you were a parent, and your mother were your daughter, I'd point out to you that what you'd be doing here is enabling your child's irresponsible behaviour by shielding her from the consequences of her actions. As long as daddy keeps paying the bills, the child will keep running up bills - why wouldn't she? And, as you have a responsibility to your daughter, you shouldn't do this.

But you don't have quite the same responsibility to your mother. For better or worse, her character is fixed, and it's not your job to form it. The downside risk here is that she'll do again what she has done before, because there were no consequences for her the last time. It's a risk which falls on you. You may be happy to bear it.

• Advertisement

Having a spare hour this morning I decided too head too the council office too pay the fine,only too discover it's closed due too Covid !

Now I've too waste more time by calling them too do the payment over the phone !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Having a spare hour this morning I decided too head too the council office too pay the fine,only too discover it's closed due too Covid !

Now I've too waste more time by calling them too do the payment over the phone !

Check the council website. They may have a payment portal.

Victor wrote: »
    Check the council website. They may have a payment portal.

The office phone is back at 2pm so hopefully can do it over the phone,if not will have a look.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

So I'll look after it.

Does she dispute that she littered ?

Does she dispute that she littered ?

She is not a 100% but surely there was some proof that she did.
    It's a cause of arguement so I just want too settle the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Details should be available on the fine notice or from the council. Is there a chance she got a "company" to remove some waste and it ended up being fly tipped?
    In which case if she used a registered company send it on to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

This is probably neither here nor there in respect of the OP's post, but I remember once getting a littering fine myself while I lived in Dublin some 20 years ago.

It was in respect of a large cardboard box that had my name and address on a label attached. I'd put it out late one night for collection early the following morning, same as I always did with my rubbish/recycling at the time.

It was gone the next morning all right, but about two weeks later I received a fine, stating it had been found a couple of streets away. I've always presumed it was moved by some drunken eejits on their way home, who maybe played games with it along the way, or something.

I appealed the fine at the time by setting out in writing the circumstances of what had happened. The appeal was denied on the grounds that I was still responsible for it until time of actual collection. I then reluctantly paid the fine.

I still don't know what they actually expected me to do. It seems I'd be supposed to either stand guard over it all night, or else get up around 5 a.m. to put stuff out just as the collection lorry was arriving.

As I say, probably neither here nor there in respect of the OP, but could be one explanation why the mother is reluctant to pay the fine, if something similar happened to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

This is probably neither here nor there in respect of the OP's post, but I remember once getting a littering fine myself while I lived in Dublin some 20 years ago.

It was in respect of a large cardboard box that had my name and address on a label attached. I'd put it out late one night for collection early the following morning, same as I always did with my rubbish/recycling at the time.

It was gone the next morning all right, but about two weeks later I received a fine, stating it had been found a couple of streets away. I've always presumed it was moved by some drunken eejits on their way home, who maybe played games with it along the way, or something.

I appealed the fine at the time by setting out in writing the circumstances of what had happened. The appeal was denied on the grounds that I was still responsible for it until time of actual collection. I then reluctantly paid the fine.

I still don't know what they actually expected me to do. It seems I'd be supposed to either stand guard over it all night, or else get up around 5 a.m. to put stuff out just as the collection lorry was arriving.

As I say, probably neither here nor there in respect of the OP, but could be one explanation why the mother is reluctant to pay the fine, if something similar happened to her.

?? beggars belief, yep, you are not meant to leave stuff out all night, so its only meant to be out from before when they are collecting it.
    I guess thats either to stop drunken eejits as you think stealing your rubbish or kicking it around, or as likely to stop the wind picking it up and taking it away.

I had wheelie bins 20+ years ago, Im fairly sure we had even green bins, so either you put out excess stuff or just carted it out there and left it.
    I still see people leaving out rubbish beside the bins, extra recycling in bags on the recycle collection day and general rubbish on the black/grey bin day in bags beside the bin, not supposed to be done, invariably if there is a bit of wind it just gets blown all over the place.
    Your fine was justified, if the OPs was anything similar, same.
    Cant fathom how you still dont get it??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭kirving

1874 wrote: »
    only meant to be out from before when they are collecting it.

"Before" what time?

If you could tell me what time on Tuesday the bin truck will call around, I'll arrange some time off work so I can drive home and stand there and guard the bin in case they're late.

I know people tend to be righteous on Boards, but that's another level entirely.

95% of people put the bins out the night before, and shouldn't be targeted because someone thought it was a laugh to kick a box down the road. You know, common sense.

• Advertisement

Common sense would be removing your name and address, and not leaving loose rubbish where it could be easily moved by wind, animals or randomers.

Advertisement