Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2021 Cadetship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JRK1995

RWJ1995 wrote: »
    I’m only out near maynooth so getting to the curragh thankfully won’t be too much of a trek! Yourself?

Monaghan myself, we'll be on the same day so I'll see you then. Just need to get the sit-up technique down as it's the most back-arsed way of doing sit-ups in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

Congratulations lads got the confirmation for the 28th as well, dead happy with that.

I'd be floating around the 4:30min per km but I don't mind what time I do it in as long as it's under 11:40! The sit ups are a pain I agree.

Last year for me as well, let's make this one count!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cadetirldub

Does anyone who has gotten this far before have any advice for the group assessment?
    Also I assume we're meant to arrive in training gear?

Does anyone who has gotten this far before have any advice for the group assessment?

I think the group assessment is where I fell last year so you probably don't want my advice! 😂

Last year I arrived in normal clothes, there was an opportunity for us to get changed before the fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

Group assessment is where you show off your communication skills and ability to perform under pressure as well as outside the box thinking (if you come up with any genius ways to solve the problems :) ). This is your basic talking in turns, apologise briefly if you cut someone off and listening to ideas during the planning stage. Ask if you're unsure what your teammate means or mention how you think their idea could be improved. All of this goes as well for when you're actually building whatever your prompt requires. Pointing with your finger and demonstrating with your hands helps to paint a clearer picture for everyone so don't be afraid to do that

The obvious don't here is don't shout at your teammates or get angry/indignant and just generally don't be hard to work with. :D

What I think got me through it was saying mostly everything I did so everyone knew what was going on, repeating out loud my tasks to teammates to "show understanding", definitely make sure you assign roles or subgroups if youse think the solution requires two parts, and a "timekeeper" as the problems are timed.

Lastly be prepared to concede your ideas. You can think you have a brilliant idea but the rest of the group will like a different, simpler idea and at that point you have to prioritise depending on the time left whether you want to try convince the group to your idea or go along with the group to speed up everyone else's preparedness and understanding so you make the most of your building time.

Also it might happen that you've no clue what to do during the building time, in which case you can try your best to help out physically or ask someone what needs to be done. I will also mention here that you will might come up with better ideas as you are building so don't worry if you didn't provide any input during the planning.

This was all my experience so if any of it is not great info or I left something out, etc. please correct me! :)

Edit: sorry this is so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 CS97

RCB1A wrote: »
    Group assessment is where you show off your communication skills and ability to perform under pressure as well as outside the box thinking (if you come up with any genius ways to solve the problems :) ). This is your basic talking in turns, apologise briefly if you cut someone off and listening to ideas during the planning stage. Ask if you're unsure what your teammate means or mention how you think their idea could be improved. All of this goes as well for when you're actually building whatever your prompt requires. Pointing with your finger and demonstrating with your hands helps to paint a clearer picture for everyone so don't be afraid to do that

The obvious don't here is don't shout at your teammates or get angry/indignant and just generally don't be hard to work with. :D

What I think got me through it was saying mostly everything I did so everyone knew what was going on, repeating out loud my tasks to teammates to "show understanding", definitely make sure you assign roles or subgroups if youse think the solution requires two parts, and a "timekeeper" as the problems are timed.

Lastly be prepared to concede your ideas. You can think you have a brilliant idea but the rest of the group will like a different, simpler idea and at that point you have to prioritise depending on the time left whether you want to try convince the group to your idea or go along with the group to speed up everyone else's preparedness and understanding so you make the most of your building time.

Also it might happen that you've no clue what to do during the building time, in which case you can try your best to help out physically or ask someone what needs to be done. I will also mention here that you will might come up with better ideas as you are building so don't worry if you didn't provide any input during the planning.

This was all my experience so if any of it is not great info or I left something out, etc. please correct me! :)

Edit: sorry this is so long

Thanks for going into so much detail there man. Headed down for the 24th and wasn't sure on what the group assesment entailed myself, good luck with the next stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RWJ1995

Just for anyone who’s gotten to the fitness stage before; what kind of structure does the day follow? Do they kick off with the run etc? I’d imagine it’s different to previous years a bit with COVID but presumably the same as last year

Just for anyone who’s gotten to the fitness stage before; what kind of structure does the day follow? Do they kick off with the run etc? I’d imagine it’s different to previous years a bit with COVID but presumably the same as last year

Last year they gathered everyone in the gym, went through documents etc. before getting us to change into our pt gear. After all of that it was on to the psychometrics, then the realistic job preview and finally the group assessment. There was also a break after the fitness and a mini one later on in the day.

On a side note, has anyone heard anything from the Air Corps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

mcc_c wrote: »
    On a side note, has anyone heard anything from the Air Corps?

My son is in for his round 2 next week.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    My son is in for his round 2 next week.

Congratulations to your son, that's great news.

Do you mind me asking when he received the email?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Congratulations to your son, that's great news.

Do you mind me asking when he received the email?

Thanks. He's delighted naturally but a long way to go yet. They mailed him on 11th and confirmed his day on 14th.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Thanks. He's delighted naturally but a long way to go yet. They mailed him on 11th and confirmed his day on 14th.

Ah fair play to him, wishing him the best of luck! Thanks for your reply too.

I got the email abut Air Corps stage 2 on same day as the army. I'm surprised really, the Air Corps aptitude tests are far tougher than the army ones in my opinin.

I got the email abut Air Corps stage 2 on same day as the army. I'm surprised really, the Air Corps aptitude tests are far tougher than the army ones in my opinin.

Fair play and good luck with stage 2!

Looks like the end of the road there for me.

Ah sorry about that. Did you get through with the army?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CavanBG1997

Anyone know where to find their reference number (for the vetting)? Can't see any reference in any of the emails.

Ah sorry about that. Did you get through with the army?

I did indeed yes which I'm delighted with. Are you going for both?

@CavanBG1997 I think they fill in the reference, not 100% sure

I did indeed yes which I'm delighted with. Are you going for both?

Yeah I'm going for Army and Air Corps. Would definitely prefer Air Corps but would be delighted with either

Just wondering if under Name of Organisation if we should write "Irish Defence Forces" or should we specify whether it is Army, Air Corps or Navy?
    And goodluck to everyone starting tomorrow :)

Just wondering if under Name of Organisation if we should write "Irish Defence Forces" or should we specify whether it is Army, Air Corps or Navy?
    And goodluck to everyone starting tomorrow :)

I would say no harm in specifying, they ask you to be specific in the role so may as well on that section too. Good luck in the next stage everyone!

EDIT: does anyone know if parking is available? I'll be driving myself.

• Advertisement

EDIT: does anyone know if parking is available? I'll be driving myself.

There would have to be. I think last year they said that there was parking, but I can't recall.

Hope your assessment went great yesterday!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea on the numbers they're running for this stage for the army?

Seems to be just the Mondays that they run the assessment, so I imagine a high number of candidates turn up?

Hope your assessment went great yesterday!

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea on the numbers they're running for this stage for the army?

Seems to be just the Mondays that they run the assessment, so I imagine a high number of candidates turn up?

I think they’re running them all this week and next Monday is possibly the last one, I was originally invited to go for tomorrow and got it moved to Monday. Can’t be sure but I’d imagine they cut it down a good bit with the first psychometrics all the same, especially with Covid

Cheers for the responses lads, just one last question, for the proof of my education qualifications can I just bring a copy of my bachelor's degree itself or do I need to bring the results?

Cheers for the responses lads, just one last question, for the proof of my education qualifications can I just bring a copy of my bachelor's degree itself or do I need to bring the results?

I *think* I brought just a copy of the degree last year but look, again no harm if you can bring the transcript too

Had the assesments there today myself, I just had a copy of my results for the degree, she asked for a copy of the degree itself but when I didn't have it she was happy enough. I'd take both to cover yourself.

Lads just a quick one, does anyone know the story with the BMI? I know it’s under 30, I’m slightly over but I’m definitely not fat, just always been high enough BMI because of my build, do they do a calliper test if you’re over? My BMI is literally like 30.5/31

Lads just a quick one, does anyone know the story with the BMI? I know it’s under 30, I’m slightly over but I’m definitely not fat, just always been high enough BMI because of my build, do they do a calliper test if you’re over? My BMI is literally like 30.5/31

Yeah they take you off to a different room to do the calliper test if you're off on the bmi, was at least one who did that yesterday.

CS97 wrote: »
    Yeah they take you off to a different room to do the calliper test if you're off on the bmi, was at least one who did that yesterday.

Ah that’s grand so, I’ve used the callipers and myself and I’m under I’m fairly sure, cheers!

• Advertisement

Anyone whos been down to the Curragh yet know if the Gym is easy to find?

Advertisement