Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2021 Cadetship

• 30-04-2021 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

2021 Officer Cadetship is open for applications, best of luck everyone!

Bit of background on myself, I'm 25 so this is my only chance to get in. Trying to get my km down to 3:30. After doing everything 'right' I found myself in a boring office job... very unfulfilled so I decided to go for the cadetship, something I have thought about since I was a kid. Hopefully I'll see this out to the very end to find myself starting at the end of the year and I hope there's some other boards members who'll be joining me in this competition.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

My son wants to go for this next year post LC, are there a certain number of positions reserved directly from school and a certain number for those with degrees? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ConorAFH

JRK1995 wrote: »
    2021 Officer Cadetship is open for applications, best of luck everyone!

Bit of background on myself, I'm 25 so this is my only chance to get in. Trying to get my km down to 3:30. After doing everything 'right' I found myself in a boring office job... very unfulfilled so I decided to go for the cadetship, something I have thought about since I was a kid. Hopefully I'll see this out to the very end to find myself starting at the end of the year and I hope there's some other boards members who'll be joining me in this competition.

Just applied there myself was in the competition last year but failed the first stage sounds like your ready for the competition. Good luck in it hopefully you can achieve your dream

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MrFridge

Anyone know if you can apply for a cadetship mid-degree ? I'm finishing 3rd year, going into final year engineering in UL next year, fingers crossed. Is it possible to go back to college and do the final year at a later date if I was accepted, or should I just wait until next year to apply ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

MrFridge wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can apply for a cadetship mid-degree ? I'm finishing 3rd year, going into final year engineering in UL next year, fingers crossed. Is it possible to go back to college and do the final year at a later date if I was accepted, or should I just wait until next year to apply ?

Yes, that's quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

Well lads, I'm applying for the Air Corps Cadetship this year. Last year I did both Army and Air Corps and failed both interviews so if anyone has questions about it I'll do my best to answer. Good luck to everyone this year!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

RCB1A wrote: »
    Well lads, I'm applying for the Air Corps Cadetship this year. Last year I did both Army and Air Corps and failed both interviews so if anyone has questions about it I'll do my best to answer. Good luck to everyone this year!:)

Goodludk in your application this year, I remember your tag from last year's thread. Good luck to everyone else applying as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RWJ1995

What’s up lads, hope ye are all getting on alright! Just wondering; does anyone know whenabouts the fitness test etc will be? Early/mid July prob if the psychometrics are only going out the first week of June?

RWJ1995 wrote: »
    What’s up lads, hope ye are all getting on alright! Just wondering; does anyone know whenabouts the fitness test etc will be? Early/mid July prob if the psychometrics are only going out the first week of June?

They're fairly quick off the mark with it, I think last year it was within two weeks of the psychometric if I'm not wrong. It all goes one after the other pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JRK1995

Was chatting with my mate who did it last year, his was the 03-July which was a couple of weeks after the pyschometric deadline. I think last year the closing date for applications was the 31st of May so it seems they're a week ahead this year.

How's everyones' fitness? I'll pass the test but I'm worried I'm not up to scratch, putting in a good bit of effort to get my fitness back to prelockdown as I have let my fitness go. Would love to get the run down to 9 mins.

Was chatting with my mate who did it last year, his was the 03-July which was a couple of weeks after the pyschometric deadline. I think last year the closing date for applications was the 31st of May so it seems they're a week ahead this year.

How's everyones' fitness? I'll pass the test but I'm worried I'm not up to scratch, putting in a good bit of effort to get my fitness back to prelockdown as I have let my fitness go. Would love to get the run down to 9 mins.

Ah fair, yeah I’m the same, let myself go a bit over lockdown and picked up an injury going back that I’ve been carrying so bit of a juggling situation trying to alternate resting for it and working on my run, bit of a nightmare!

• Advertisement

Fitness could always be better 😅, just remember that the goal is less than 11:40 (if yous are lads), anything below that is a win so don't kill yourself trying to get much lower if you're injured etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CS97

Applying for Army line cadetship for the first time myself, just wondering if you could give any insight into the group exercise? Any info appreciated mate. Best of luck moving forward lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

CS97 wrote: »
    Applying for Army line cadetship for the first time myself, just wondering if you could give any insight into the group exercise? Any info appreciated mate. Best of luck moving forward lads.

You're given building blocks/materials and given 3 or 4 different prompts and have to communicate as a team and build what the prompt requires. They'll probably do it in the Curragh in which case you're lucky because their materials are easier to work with. :D
    mcc_c wrote: »
    Goodludk in your application this year, I remember your tag from last year's thread. Good luck to everyone else applying as well!

Haha I remember you too! I take it you didn't make it last year in which case good luck this year!

And yeah mcc_c is right, once the online tests start they're pretty quick with the rest of the stages. Roughly every second-ish week a new stage of it goes ahead.

Pyschometric test emails were sent out this morning, deadline is the 06-June.

You're given building blocks/materials and given 3 or 4 different prompts and have to communicate as a team and build what the prompt requires. They'll probably do it in the Curragh in which case you're lucky because their materials are easier to work with. :D

Haha I remember you too! I take it you didn't make it last year in which case good luck this year!

And yeah mcc_c is right, once the online tests start they're pretty quick with the rest of the stages. Roughly every second-ish week a new stage of it goes ahead.

Unfortunately not but feel a lot more confident this year so here's to hoping!

On another note, have you (or anyone else) received any emails from the Air Corps? I got my Army psychometric link but no word from the AC after the applications closed.

EDIT: Received the AC link - check your junk folder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Pyschometric test emails were sent out this morning, deadline is the 06-June.

For army or AC or both?

EDIT: my son, who applied for AC, just got his email

Well lads, I assume it’s just the one psychometric for both the Army and the Navy Ops? I got an application acknowledgement mail for both but only got the ‘Stage 1 - Information’ email for the army, anyone know the story there? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TRL23

Well lads, I just got the email for the Mindmill tests and I'm trying to do the practice ones but everytime I click on the link it doesn't load and says that the link doesn't exist. Are any of yous experiencing the same thing ?

TRL23 wrote: »
    Well lads, I just got the email for the Mindmill tests and I'm trying to do the practice ones but everytime I click on the link it doesn't load and says that the link doesn't exist. Are any of yous experiencing the same thing ?

I had the same message, must be a link issue.

@RWJ1995 I think the Army psychometric must be the same, the email says 'Thank you for registering for the 2021 Irish Defence Forces Army and/or Naval Service Cadet Selection process. ' I would imagine the 'and/or' means it's the same. I haven't applied for the Navy myself but I assume it's the same one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CS97

Thanks for info ladðŸ‘

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 CavanBG1997

Hey all, second time applying. Aced the pysch tests last year, did fairly well this year. Only thing was there was an error on the second part of the test and my screen froze, had to refresh the page as a last resort and I had to redo the second part.

Worried my results may not count, anyone else experience any issues?

Anyway, averaged about 15-20 questions in each section, except the number fluency were I did approx 30-35. I assume it's 20% per section? Anyone on any knowledge on this is graded?

Did everyone have four main sections, then a personality section? Didn't have a 'word rule' section.

mcc_c wrote: »
    I had the same message, must be a link issue.

@RWJ1995 I think the Army psychometric must be the same, the email says 'Thank you for registering for the 2021 Irish Defence Forces Army and/or Naval Service Cadet Selection process. ' I would imagine the 'and/or' means it's the same. I haven't applied for the Navy myself but I assume it's the same one.

Ah grand so no bother, just never got that second email for Navy Ops so got a bit nervous haha, cheers!

Just for anyone who’s applied before, are fitness tests usually on weekends or can it be whenever? Working full time and it’s rough getting leave at the moment but I’ll be pulling a sickie if need be 😂

Ah grand so no bother, just never got that second email for Navy Ops so got a bit nervous haha, cheers!

Just for anyone who’s applied before, are fitness tests usually on weekends or can it be whenever? Working full time and it’s rough getting leave at the moment but I’ll be pulling a sickie if need be 😂

My mate last year had his on the 30-June (Tuesday) at 0800hrs, he said it's usually on a weekday.

No problem, I'm only making an assumption though so there might be no harm in emailing to clarify?

Last year for the AC they were week days and they tried accomodating whatever day you could do. I was in the same position but just told my employer out straight, luckily they were sound about it.

Hope everyone got on alright with the Psychometrics 👍 Didn’t find them too bad at all but nothing worse than going to click the answer and it pops up that the section is done haha had my screen freeze during the personality bit and clicked the same answer for like the first 4/5 questions as well which isn’t ideal

I hope you all did good in the pyschs, got my confirmation email and my physical is set for the 28-June. Fitness wise I'm confident, 4 mins a km, sit-ups are ironically the biggest pain but I can burst the 20 out in 40 seconds. Best of luck lads.

Got my confirmation there too; was booked in for the 23rd and had to get it changed to the 28th because of work commitments, they were straight back and really sound about it so anyone who’s having difficulty with dates definitely email them. I’m the opposite for this; will find the push-ups and sit-ups fairly handy but carrying an injury still that will make the run pretty touch and go for me unfortunately, fingers crossed since I’m 26 in November and this is my only chance to go for it!

Got my confirmation there too; was booked in for the 23rd and had to get it changed to the 28th because of work commitments, they were straight back and really sound about it so anyone who’s having difficulty with dates definitely email them. I’m the opposite for this; will find the push-ups and sit-ups fairly handy but carrying an injury still that will make the run pretty touch and go for me unfortunately, fingers crossed since I’m 26 in November and this is my only chance to go for it!

Our last chance to get in!

Out of interest where are you coming from?

• Advertisement

Our last chance to get in!

Out of interest where are you coming from?

I’m only out near maynooth so getting to the curragh thankfully won’t be too much of a trek! Yourself?

Advertisement