Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

2021 Cadetship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CS97

Anyone whos been down to the Curragh yet know if the Gym is easy to find?

Honestly the place is a bit of a maze, I'd give yourself plenty of time to find it, but they put out these small white signs saying "cadet intake" follow them and they'll take you around, although it can be easy enough to miss the first one so keep your eyes peeled as you come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CavanBG1997

CS97 wrote: »
    Honestly the place is a bit of a maze, I'd give yourself plenty of time to find it, but they put out these small white signs saying "cadet intake" follow them and they'll take you around, although it can be easy enough to miss the first one so keep your eyes peeled as you come in.

Just out of interest CS97, how many recruits showed up on your day?

Just out of interest CS97, how many recruits showed up on your day?

About 60 I think, but 5 of those failed the fitness, and there were 8 no shows on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

About 60 I think, but 5 of those failed the fitness, and there were 8 no shows on top of that.

Do you mind me asking what sort of layout did the day take? Were yous split into groups or did everyone do the fitness together etc?

mcc_c wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what sort of layout did the day take? Were yous split into groups or did everyone do the fitness together etc?

Aye so it's paperwork first, then we were split into two groups for the fitness test, then a preview of a junior officers work, lunch, then everyone was split up again into groups of 6. Psych test again then group assesment and then a few cadets answer your questions and you're free to go.

• Advertisement

Aye so it's paperwork first, then we were split into two groups for the fitness test, then a preview of a junior officers work, lunch, then everyone was split up again into groups of 6. Psych test again then group assesment and then a few cadets answer your questions and you're free to go.

That's great thank you, interested to hear from the junior officers. Did they bring yous to the cadet school?

That's great thank you, interested to hear from the junior officers. Did they bring yous to the cadet school?

Afraid not, covid regulations seemed to put a halt to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

Howya lads, just a quick one , hopefully someone has an answer. What is it like to get transfers from branch to branch ? Let's say from army to navy or vice versa, due to your home and family being on the other side of the country from base? Also after how long can you apply for this transfer? Straight outta recruit training or after 1/2 years service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cadetirldub

Howya lads, just a quick one , hopefully someone has an answer. What is it like to get transfers from branch to branch ? Let's say from army to navy or vice versa, due to your home and family being on the other side of the country from base? Also after how long can you apply for this transfer? Straight outta recruit training or after 1/2 years service ?

Can't imagine it would be a very easy process switching between branches. As far as I know the Navy only do about 3 months of the cadetship and then go down to Cork to do separate training so you wouldn't have the necessary skills for another branch. You would have a better chance transferring units within the army, not sure how easy that is for officers but I'm sure it happens a lot
    Maybe somebody else knows more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Hk289

Hi guys looking to do the cadetship next year, just wondering what was the talks with the current cadets like and what was the cadet school like?

• Advertisement

Also does anybody know what kind of fitness is needed at the start and do you need to do assessments once your in?

Hk289 wrote: »
    Hi guys looking to do the cadetship next year, just wondering what was the talks with the current cadets like and what was the cadet school like?

Fair play for making the decision. The cadets talked through what to expect in training, it you listen to the Defence Forces podcast on the three cadetships it will give you a fairly similar idea.

I would suggest downloading the Terms and Conditions for the 2021 cadetship of the Army/Navy/Air Corps depending on which one you're interested in. They contain all the information you need to know.

The fitness to get in is 20 pushups in a minute, 20 sit ups in a minute and a 2.4km run in less than 11:40min for males and 13:10min for females. There are also certain educational requirements, these are all available in the terms and conditions.

My advice would be to soak up as much information on the DF as you can through their podcasts and social media channels. I would also download the terms and conditions and make sure you understand fully what's needed.

Good luck!

Thanks, do you know anybody else doing the cadetship atm and what do they think it’s like? Just wondering on how hard it is?

Thanks, do you know anybody else doing the cadetship atm and what do they think it’s like? Just wondering on how hard it is?

I know a guy who did it, he said it is hard but rewarding and he loved it. From what I gather it's more about how far you can push yourself mentally more than anything.

If possible you should look into the RDF as well but I don't think they'll recruit before next year.

I know a guy who did it, he said it is hard but rewarding and he loved it. From what I gather it's more about how far you can push yourself mentally more than anything.

If possible you should look into the RDF as well but I don't think they'll recruit before next year.

Thanks bud, what is life like after the cadetship like, did your friend go overseas quickly or what happens after it?

Thanks bud, what is life like after the cadetship like, did your friend go overseas quickly or what happens after it?

I'll pm you to free up the thread!

I'll pm you to free up the thread!

Yeah lad no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 32 JustThisGuy

Can't imagine it would be a very easy process switching between branches. As far as I know the Navy only do about 3 months of the cadetship and then go down to Cork to do separate training so you wouldn't have the necessary skills for another branch. You would have a better chance transferring units within the army, not sure how easy that is for officers but I'm sure it happens a lot
    Maybe somebody else knows more.

I imagine cadetship and general service would be the same difficulty regarding transfers Just due to age had to go navy route and family & home being in Dublin would be the main reason for transfer. Hopefully I hear an answer as so far I've got straight after recruit training, after 1 year service and after 2 year service 😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Swindled

I spent 17 years in the defence forces, I had some good times and met some great people, but now you'd be mad to join them they way things have gone. They were always just a small local force, but now they are just a shadow of even that. Don't do it would be my advice. If you're genuinely into the military life, join a reputable one abroad and have a decent experience and career. That's what I would do in your position and had my time over. If you're more into flying or seafaring, than you are into the military side, then do that the civilian commercial way, don't make this mistake of trying to do it though the DF. You can take or leave this advice, I probably wouldn't have listened to it either when I was your age. I won't be responding to posts or questions, you can learn the long hard way, or the easy way, it won't matter to me, but perhaps just one person reading this thread will take a better route in life. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Rodoge

Did anyone receive the Garda vetting email yet?

• Advertisement

Rodoge wrote: »
    Did anyone receive the Garda vetting email yet?

I haven't anyway

Any one else get an interview offer? Got mine at 10 this morning for the 14th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Any one else get an interview offer? Got mine at 10 this morning for the 14th of July.

Is that for army?

It is yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TRL23

It is yeah.

What day did you do your stage 2 lad ?

TRL23 wrote: »
    What day did you do your stage 2 lad ?

Thursday the 24th man

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tf136

Anyone get anything back from the navy?

Just got my invitation for Army interview. I did stage 2 on the 28th. Hope you all get good news over the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mozroy96

Did anyone who did their stage 2 on the 29th get any offers for an interview yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Rodoge

Tf136 wrote: »
    Anyone get anything back from the navy?

I got my garda vetting this morning and just got invited for the Navy Interview at 4 today for the 13th of July , best of luck everyone else!

Advertisement