Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Well, just ordered the remasters up to and including the Black Album.
    Listening to the Mexico gig from Binge and Purge now.
    Black Album tracks sound better live to me, but hopefully the remaster will rekindle some love.
    My first time dipping back into Metallica for years. I think I learned every riff within my ability from the first 5 albums back in the early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,889 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to say that Nothing Else Matters cover is growing on me

Milleys vocals sounds very like Stevie Nicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have to say that Nothing Else Matters cover is growing on me

Milleys vocals sounds very like Stevie Nicks

That song she released with ronson is catchy as f**

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

scudzilla wrote: »
    Enjoy, best time of my life in the mid/late 90's going to all the european festivals/shows, then kids happened and it sorta stopped.

Back then it was amazingly cheap to do a euro festival, and so much cheaper over there, from beer/food to merch, was less than half the price we paid in UK

Unfortunately I'm no young fella, first gig abroad was Donington 95 with Metallica and then 96 with Kiss/Ozzy. Hit Europe in 97,98,99 for Dynamo festival,great memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,944 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

psychozeb wrote: »
    Unfortunately I'm no young fella, first gig abroad was Donington 95 with Metallica and then 96 with Kiss/Ozzy. Hit Europe in 97,98,99 for Dynamo festival,great memories.

LOL, was at them 3 dynamos, think the 98 one I went over with Misery Lives Co., ended the Sat night watching Saxon with a very Fukcin hammered Phil Anselmo.
    My first introduction to Rammstein too.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

LOL, was at them 3 dynamos, think the 98 one I went over with Misery Lives Co., ended the Sat night watching Saxon with a very Fukcin hammered Phil Anselmo.
    My first introduction to Rammstein too.

Yeah, Anselmo was out of it, doesn't come across that way on the release of the show. Not knowing anything about Rammstein at the time we skipped them,if only I'd a time machine.Pantera were the Sunday night. Misery loves company and Atari teenage riot were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Metallica boxes are getting bigger each time.
    Kill 'Em All was relatively modest at 3LP+12"+5CD+DVD
    I wish they wouldn't mix vinyl & CD in the one set. Would be better as CD only and have a separate standalone vinyl release for the main album.
    Plus they should go for BD instead of DVD.
    Shame the radio edits aren't on the 3CD version. Don't fancy forking out for the big set just to get them.

DVD would be cheaper to produce than Blu Ray for the band. I'm guessing they went with DVD to keep costs down as low as possible and with an older demographic of fan in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

DVD would be cheaper to produce than Blu Ray for the band. I'm guessing they went with DVD to keep costs down as low as possible and with an older demographic of fan in mind.

BD holds a lot more than a DVD, so would keep the number of discs down. Plus players are cheap now. The price point of the box is £200+ anyway as it's a 26 disc set - but the inclusion of multiple LPs drives that upwards. I bought all the Metallica albums up to the Black one on vinyl at the time so would prefer if it was kept separate. I was never a fan of live albums on vinyl, much more suited to CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

EyesClosed wrote: »
    CD would be the same quality as highest level streaming... Vinyl or flac is the higher level

That’s totally incorrect in relation to Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

BD holds a lot more than a DVD, so would keep the number of discs down. Plus players are cheap now. The price point of the box is £200+ anyway as it's a 26 disc set - but the inclusion of multiple LPs drives that upwards. I bought all the Metallica albums up to the Black one on vinyl at the time so would prefer if it was kept separate. I was never a fan of live albums on vinyl, much more suited to CD.

True, but they cost more to make and while players have come down in price, DVD players are a pittance these days.

I'd prefer Blu Ray myself but in reality, the recorded content for these early sets is coming from old high grade VHS tapes anyway so picture quality will suffer regardless and if the band was to remaster that footage even more for Blu Ray it would cost more to do so. Thin Lizzy have done the same.

I think the sets are pretty good value overall for what you get.

• Advertisement

psychozeb wrote: »
    Yeah, Anselmo was out of it, doesn't come across that way on the release of the show. Not knowing anything about Rammstein at the time we skipped them,if only I'd a time machine.Pantera were the Sunday night. Misery loves company and Atari teenage riot were excellent.

I was going anyway, then i won a competition in Kerrang to go over with Misery, got a train down to Milton Keynes and met up wit the band, Breed 77 were supporting, their Singer Paul came over with us to crew for them, that was the begining of a long freindship i've had with Paul/Breed. Comp was only for the day but we stayed on for the full weekend with our AAA passes, eventually found the coach we'd originally booked on and got home

Pantera were woeful, Phil was out of his tree.

Loved Dynamo, truly an amazing festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,905 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

scudzilla wrote:
    Pantera were woeful, Phil was out of his tree.

Now that would just pi$$ me off, but I'm sure the rest of the band were great?

Picked up the Mexico City set there from the 90s. Brilliant set and performance, but the ****ology talk between songs tests my patience. I suppose it is of its time, and they were young men still and James sounded pissed as a fart.
    Could do without the bass and guitar solos but when you listen to the whole gig in one go, it all makes sense.

Just working my way through Seattle 89 on Spotify and agree with previous posters. Seems to be them at peak levels of performance. The over and back between James and Jason can come across as a bit nasty from James, it's hard to know if it's a pisstake, James is sauced up (probably) or he was being a c·nt to him on stage.

Granadino wrote: »
    Picked up the Mexico City set there from the 90s. Brilliant set and performance, but the ****ology talk between songs tests my patience. I suppose it is of its time, and they were young men still and James sounded pissed as a fart.
    Could do without the bass and guitar solos but when you listen to the whole gig in one go, it all makes sense.

Just working my way through Seattle 89 on Spotify and agree with previous posters. Seems to be them at peak levels of performance. The over and back between James and Jason can come across as a bit nasty from James, it's hard to know if it's a pisstake, James is sauced up (probably) or he was being a c·nt to him on stage.

Nah, not a pisstake, James was rotton towards Jason at this time, held a lot of animosity towards him because Cliff was gone.

I Bought the AJFA box set purely for the Seattle vinyl, fcukin untouchable back then, the 3 gigs i seen in Oct 88 were prob the best i've ever seen them, sure i've seen then play amazing, but that era, so angry, just them against the world

Nah, not a pisstake, James was rotton towards Jason at this time, held a lot of animosity towards him because Cliff was gone.

Between one of the Seattle tracks, James has some beer, burps, and Jason said something like "you almost puked", and James replied "and so f*cking what if I did". Sounded nasty, but maybe on video it might be laughs and smiles.
    Jason going a bit too heavy on the backing vocals on Creeping Death too, maybe that annoyed James.. :p Or maybe Jason did it on purpose.

Granadino wrote: »
    Between one of the Seattle tracks, James has some beer, burps, and Jason said something like "you almost puked", and James replied "and so f*cking what if I did". Sounded nasty, but maybe on video it might be laughs and smiles.
    Jason going a bit too heavy on the backing vocals on Creeping Death too, maybe that annoyed James.. :p Or maybe Jason did it on purpose.

There was never an issue with Jason's backing vocals or playing, they (James) hated him because he was their bass player and cliff was gone.... Its pretty well documented.

Jason's vocals took the band to another level, he even stood in for Het for 3 gigs when he lost his voice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Jason's vocals took the band to another level, he even stood in for Het for 3 gigs when he lost his voice

Agreed, it brought a whole different dimension to the songs he sang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭klose

There was never an issue with Jason's backing vocals or playing, they (James) hated him because he was their bass player and cliff was gone.... Its pretty well documented.

Where any of those gigs ever released? There's a money spinner for Metallica if they ever wanted it, think we all love his verse of creeping death or his parts in seek&destroy and whiplash, but a full concert would be intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

klose wrote: »
    Where any of those gigs ever released? There's a money spinner for Metallica if they ever wanted it, think we all love his verse of creeping death or his parts in seek&destroy and whiplash, but a full concert would be intense.

Even better than that is his MOTHER FCUKER DIE!!!!!!

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »

url]https://youtu.be/8Bw4DxtId90[/url

Hope they release the 94 Woodstock officially some day as an audio release. That was a short sharp decent set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I Bought the AJFA box set purely for the Seattle vinyl, fcukin untouchable back then, the 3 gigs i seen in Oct 88 were prob the best i've ever seen them, sure i've seen then play amazing, but that era, so angry, just them against the world

yeah drinking james is a prick!

hard to believe the impact jason made in 14 years

Is the main forum page screwed up for anyone else? Some really old threads appearing on it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Anyone get a reservation code for the 40th anniversary gigs?

lot of pissed of people in the metclub, seems no advantage in being a member from year 1

• Advertisement

Those travel tickets sold out in about 30 seconds. Craziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

Really liking some of these Black Album covers,some really cool takes so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Iistened to the first two episodes of the podcast, not really feeling it at all. Feels very over produced and doesn't flow very well, a bit too much stopping and starting for my liking

Picking up the Black box set next week, sold a Het/Jason signed promo pic to fund it.

Also was on the fanclub FB page 2weeks ago and a guy in Louisiana had all 4 of the vinyl club 7", said he didnt listen to them and wanted to sell to a fan for the price he paid, sent him over the 50euro and they arrived yesterday, not like i'll ever sell them but they're worth a lot more than 50 individually

• Advertisement

You're counting the misspress 😂😂

Did ya get it??

Hetfield is sounding great in these. Makes me even more excited for December

Post edited by feylya on

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I see Metallica are playing some festival in Switzerland next June.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Has James has a face lift? Looking at a few clips of him recently and it looks to me like he's had something done alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Lol I wouldn't think so??? He just looks extremely healthy after being in such a state on the last tour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭thebourke

anybody going to the download gig in germany

They played a club show in San Francisco last night. After announcing it earlier in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭klose

Has anyone been following their socials lately? Damn, they're sounding tight as ever, James looks in good nick and they're playing some very varied set lists (sandman and NEM still not being played bar the back album playthrough they did one night. They had an opening of whiplash followed by ride the lightning and harvester of sorrow I mean come on!

bout fcuking time they started mixing up the set, ffs, pretty much same set for decades now

I've been watching those videos, gotta agree they sound really **** good. Even Lars sounds like he's been practicing with the amount of downtime they've had.

And for anyone who's missed it, or doesn't have Apple Music.

Maybe it's just me but i'd be a tad bit disappointed if i didn't have the likes of Sandman, MOP, One, NEM at a Metallica gig.

Think it's about balance. Course we all want the deeper cuts, the surprises, but you still want the staples Like it or loathe it, ES is a great closer.

understandable, but im after seeing them so many times now, i want different, surely its becoming boring for them to

Yeah, you'd have to think so. Or maybe they are just happy to show up, collect their paycheck and roll out the classics with next to no practice.

You often see it with bands where setlists are very similar on a particular tour. 12 or 13 songs identical every night and then swapping out 4 or 5 with alternatives.

I guess it must be very challenging to go on tour with a widely changing setlist!

• Advertisement

apparently they still practice a lot, or certainly did up until fairly recently, id say touring at their age is fcuking dreadful, i certainly couldnt do it, and im far younger than them

Advertisement