Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

klose wrote: »
    I wonder is there any uncertainty (please god I hope and pray not) of gigs still going full steam ahead next summer so it might be easier to sign up to a few festivals to test the waters, less hassle and work if gigs get scaled back.

I took the risk and spent the 90 or so quid on the Italian show today. I’m hopeful, but not expectant, it will go ahead. A lot of people seem to think the governments of Europe are simply going to allow life to return to what we knew as normal once X number of vaccinations are reached. I, however, believe this farce will continue until a majority of people say enough is enough. I do hope that’s before next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jayesdiem wrote:
    I took the risk and spent the 90 or so quid on the Italian show today. I’m hopeful, but not expectant, it will go ahead. A lot of people seem to think the governments of Europe are simply going to allow life to return to what we knew as normal once X number of vaccinations are reached. I, however, believe this farce will continue until a majority of people say enough is enough. I do hope that’s before next summer.

What's the craic with the rise in conspiracies, lockdowns weren't done just for the craic! Next year should be fine, with most vaccinated, we should be well past covid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What's the craic with the rise in conspiracies, lockdowns weren't done just for the craic! Next year should be fine, with most vaccinated, we should be well past covid

200 odd with 'it' in the country... It will be repeat vaccinations next...

Anyway Metallica also on the Rock Werchter line up...
    Looks to be a good festival, quite easy to get to....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote:
    200 odd with 'it' in the country... It will be repeat vaccinations next...

The country will be opening soon enough, there's nothing to be worrying about folks, yup, numbers are stabilising, largely due to rollout, even with delta roaming about, we should be getting back to some sort of normality by the end of summer. Anyone hear anything about the gig in Dublin last week?

The country will be opening soon enough, there's nothing to be worrying about folks, yup, numbers are stabilising, largely due to rollout, even with delta roaming about, we should be getting back to some sort of normality by the end of summer. Anyone hear anything about the gig in Dublin last week?

I heard on some radio show that it was 'strange'

00171534-614.jpg

That doesnt look like fun to me !!!
    Like sheep in pens ...............

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Where did I suggest a conspiracy theory? There’s no conspiracy theory when it’s happening in front of your eyes. I think you’re falling in to the trap that nearly everyone else has over the last year. It’s always another week, another month, hold firm, we’re almost there etc, except it rolls on and on. Just yesterday, Britain was adamant that July 19th will be the opening date and it probably will; but already they have stated that they cannot rule out even more lockdowns in the winter, probably regional in nature. So really it’s not the opening date, it’s actually the end of the current series of restrictions until they deem it necessary to reimpose them again. Back to Metallica, my own (personal) estimate is that there’s about a 75% chance it will go ahead next year and that was sufficient for me to part with €90. If your take on it is correct, my ticket wouldn’t have come with such a highly robust refund policy in the event of Covid restrictions being reimposed but those policies are going to be the main driver of sales until there is confidence that events can’t just be cancelled on a whim as they have been thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

Black Album remaster and 53 artists from all genres covering songs from the album coming in September,some of the snippets of the covers are really decent!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Black Album remaster and 53 artists from all genres covering songs from the album coming in September,some of the snippets of the covers are really decent!

W/ Imelda May!

• Advertisement

W/ Imelda May!

The artist list is really interesting,has Lars fingerprints all over it....just surprised he hasnt got Noel Gallagher on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The artist list is really interesting,has Lars fingerprints all over it....just surprised he hasnt got Noel Gallagher on it!

Lars needs Noel’s friendship more than Noel needs Lars’s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,040 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Pity they didnt pick one of the really good albums!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Lars needs Noel’s friendship more than Noel needs Lars’s

Sad but True.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,926 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The Nal wrote: »
        Pity they didnt pick one of the really good albums!

Very interesting concept, looking forward to hearing it. Some great bands/artists part of the lineup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

252euro for the box set

177 for the vinyl covers set, ridiculous price for 8 versions of each song :pac:

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd have zero interest, just wouldn't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Get ready to have Dermot Kennedy's cover of Nothing Else Matters played over and over by Irish radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Will the remaster just be the original album but louder, like AJFA?

scudzilla wrote: »
        252euro for the box set

177 for the vinyl covers set, ridiculous price for 8 versions of each song :pac:

Id assume it will be added to Spotify and the likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭fluke

Lithium93_ wrote: »
        Get ready to have Dermot Kennedy's cover of Nothing Else Matters played over and over by Irish radio.

Couldn't agree more. As if we haven't suffered enough with all those Cranberries covers.

• Advertisement

I threw up .....

Jesus H Christ .....................................................

greenspurs wrote: »
        I threw up .....

Jesus H Christ .....................................................

Yeah,it is really puke inducing getting all these artists to contribute for a charity album :rolleyes:

Yeah,it is really puke inducing getting all these artists to contribute for a charity album :rolleyes:

So youd pay €252 for that muck? :rolleyes:

Just because its for charity , doesnt mean it is any good .......

the covers album is not for us....now lets move on

You never mentioned buying anything,maybe articulate your point next time (thumbs up)

If you dont buy it children wil die

A lot of filler with those extra demo ideas tacked on. The live ones look good though.
        I was never a big fan of the black album, but for nostalgia's sake, might go for this.
        I really enjoyed the first woodstock gig from 94. Any good sources of where I could buy this? I know it was never an official release but there are several versions for sale, just not sure all are legit, or John in his room sticking one together.
        What would you say are the best live Metallica albums? The Binge and Purge box set?

Granadino wrote: »
        A lot of filler with those extra demo ideas tacked on. The live ones look good though.
        I was never a big fan of the black album, but for nostalgia's sake, might go for this.
        I really enjoyed the first woodstock gig from 94. Any good sources of where I could buy this? I know it was never an official release but there are several versions for sale, just not sure all are legit, or John in his room sticking one together.
        What would you say are the best live Metallica albums? The Binge and Purge box set?

94 was actually broadcast live on 2fm at the time, i had it on repeat for years, but heres some youtube copies, you can lift it from there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr6YEsdIBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eSMkVmx_4

Yup

94 was actually broadcast live on 2fm at the time, i had it on repeat for years, but heres some youtube copies, you can lift it from there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFr6YEsdIBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eSMkVmx_4

I taped it off the radio and was cursing when the DJ spoke over the intro to One and called it a "bizarre end to Metallica's set".... :pac:
        Little did he know they were only going up another gear at that part of the set.

Any easy way of ripping that YT Woodstock video off YT to have on hard drive for posterity?

• Advertisement

I taped it off the radio and was cursing when the DJ spoke over the intro to One and called it a "bizarre end to Metallica's set".... :pac:
        Little did he know they were only going up another gear at that part of the set.

Any easy way of ripping that YT Woodstock video off YT to have on hard drive for posterity?

taped it myself

loads of ripping software out there, wouldnt know whats good nowadays, quick google should resolve that

Listening to the "remastered" AJFA on Spotify. What am I supposed to be hearing here that's better?

Listening to the "remastered" AJFA on Spotify. What am I supposed to be hearing here that's better?

You’ll need flac files or a cd to hear a difference surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

You’ll need flac files or a cd to hear a difference surely

CD would be the same quality as highest level streaming... Vinyl or flac is the higher level

Think I might pick up the remaster AJFA on vinyl altogether. The expanded 3 CD looks good with the live gig. Some good cuts on it.

Not a lot on Spotify. They need to up their audio game big league.

It sounds incredible on vinyl and on Tidal Masters though.

I assume RTL sounds good on the remastered vinyl (or CD) as well? I am still torn between vinyl and CD these days....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Wouldn't say i was overly impressed.

Degag wrote: »

Wouldn't say i was overly impressed.

Its catchy enough tbh

Is Miley Cyrus singing if so she sounds like a guy ?

Looking forward to Volbeats version of Dont Trend on Me and Biffy Clyros 'Holier Than Thou'

• Advertisement

Seattle '89 blows everything out of the water, IMO the best live period of the band full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Bit the bullett and bought a 4 day ticket for Copenhell,Maiden and Kiss and continue from there to Prague for Maiden,Metallica and Nick Cave. Better be back to some normality next year,I'm missing my gigs.

psychozeb wrote: »
        Bit the bullett and bought a 4 day ticket for Copenhell,Maiden and Kiss and continue from there to Prague for Maiden,Metallica and Nick Cave. Better be back to some normality next year,I'm missing my gigs.

Enjoy, best time of my life in the mid/late 90's going to all the european festivals/shows, then kids happened and it sorta stopped.

Back then it was amazingly cheap to do a euro festival, and so much cheaper over there, from beer/food to merch, was less than half the price we paid in UK

Remaster CDs or Vinyl .....?

Vinyl is pricey but if it sounds even better than the CD I would go for first four albums .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Metallica boxes are getting bigger each time.
        Kill 'Em All was relatively modest at 3LP+12"+5CD+DVD
        I wish they wouldn't mix vinyl & CD in the one set. Would be better as CD only and have a separate standalone vinyl release for the main album.
        Plus they should go for BD instead of DVD.
        Shame the radio edits aren't on the 3CD version. Don't fancy forking out for the big set just to get them.

The Metallica boxes are getting bigger each time.
        Kill 'Em All was relatively modest at 3LP+12"+5CD+DVD
        I wish they wouldn't mix vinyl & CD in the one set. Would be better as CD only and have a separate standalone vinyl release for the main album.
        Plus they should go for BD instead of DVD.
        Shame the radio edits aren't on the 3CD version. Don't fancy forking out for the big set just to get them.

What's on the DVD ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
        What's on the DVD ?

For the Black Album box, there are 6 DVDs
        DVD 1 – A YEAR AND A HALF IN THE LIFE OF METALLICA OUTTAKES
        DVD 2 – LIVE AT GENTOFTE STADION, COPENHAGEN, DENMARK – AUGUST 10TH, 1991 + BONUS SH*T
        DVD 3 – LIVE AT FRANKENHALLE, NUREMBERG, GERMANY – NOVEMBER 29TH, 1992
        DVD 4 – LIVE AT FESTIVALPARK, WERCHTER, BELGIUM – JULY 4TH, 1993
        DVD 5 – MUSIC VIDEOS + HALFIN’S HOME MOVIES
        DVD 6 – WHEREVER WE MAY ROAM

The sole DVD in the Kill 'Em All box was a live gig from Chicago, August 1983

For the Black Album box, there are 6 DVDs DVD 1 – A YEAR AND A HALF IN THE LIFE OF METALLICA OUTTAKES DVD 2 – LIVE AT GENTOFTE STADION, COPENHAGEN, DENMARK – AUGUST 10TH, 1991 + BONUS SH*T DVD 3 – LIVE AT FRANKENHALLE, NUREMBERG, GERMANY – NOVEMBER 29TH, 1992 DVD 4 – LIVE AT FESTIVALPARK, WERCHTER, BELGIUM – JULY 4TH, 1993 DVD 5 – MUSIC VIDEOS + HALFIN’S HOME MOVIES DVD 6 – WHEREVER WE MAY ROAM

The sole DVD in the Kill 'Em All box was a live gig from Chicago, August 1983

Surely that's all available on the Internets at this stage? I'm actually more interested in halfins black album book, than the reissue

Surely that's all available on the Internets at this stage? I'm actually more interested in halfins black album book, than the reissue

I am sure most of it is available - on file sharing sites and of varying quality.

The purpose of these super deluxe editions (not just Metallica's) is to celebrate albums and try to bring together as much material as possible - the album, demos, live sets, single mixes, B-sides etc as well photos, visual media etc. Some are better / more comprehensive than others but they are geared towards the fan who still wants a tangible, physical format. As far as I know, all of Metallica's have sold out of their initial print run and are now only available used & priced highly.

While the Metallica sets are on the upper end of the overkill scale, you have to commend their efforts - they really are giving something to the fans here. It's also quite unusual for a rock / metal band to include single edits so kudos to them on that as well.

Lots of bands are putting out such archive releases now - Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Guns 'N' Roses, Def Leppard. Unless I am missing something, there appears to be hardly any discussion about these on the various Boards threads whereas on other forums you'd have massive threads discussing them in detail.

scudzilla wrote: »
        Seattle '89 blows everything out of the water, IMO the best live period of the band full stop

When aliens land and ask what metal is, we play them this

The Nal wrote: »
        When aliens land and ask what metal is, we play them this

...so are you saying aliens have landed here?

• Advertisement
      Advertisement