Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica Superthread -All Metallica discussion goes in here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

Bit the bullett and bought a 4 day ticket for Copenhell,Maiden and Kiss and continue from there to Prague for Maiden,Metallica and Nick Cave. Better be back to some normality next year,I'm missing my gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

psychozeb wrote: »
    Bit the bullett and bought a 4 day ticket for Copenhell,Maiden and Kiss and continue from there to Prague for Maiden,Metallica and Nick Cave. Better be back to some normality next year,I'm missing my gigs.

Enjoy, best time of my life in the mid/late 90's going to all the european festivals/shows, then kids happened and it sorta stopped.

Back then it was amazingly cheap to do a euro festival, and so much cheaper over there, from beer/food to merch, was less than half the price we paid in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Remaster CDs or Vinyl .....?

Vinyl is pricey but if it sounds even better than the CD I would go for first four albums .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Metallica boxes are getting bigger each time.
    Kill 'Em All was relatively modest at 3LP+12"+5CD+DVD
    I wish they wouldn't mix vinyl & CD in the one set. Would be better as CD only and have a separate standalone vinyl release for the main album.
    Plus they should go for BD instead of DVD.
    Shame the radio edits aren't on the 3CD version. Don't fancy forking out for the big set just to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I wish they wouldn't mix vinyl & CD in the one set. Would be better as CD only and have a separate standalone vinyl release for the main album.
    Shame the radio edits aren't on the 3CD version. Don't fancy forking out for the big set just to get them.

What's on the DVD ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What's on the DVD ?

For the Black Album box, there are 6 DVDs
    DVD 1 – A YEAR AND A HALF IN THE LIFE OF METALLICA OUTTAKES
    DVD 2 – LIVE AT GENTOFTE STADION, COPENHAGEN, DENMARK – AUGUST 10TH, 1991 + BONUS SH*T
    DVD 3 – LIVE AT FRANKENHALLE, NUREMBERG, GERMANY – NOVEMBER 29TH, 1992
    DVD 4 – LIVE AT FESTIVALPARK, WERCHTER, BELGIUM – JULY 4TH, 1993
    DVD 5 – MUSIC VIDEOS + HALFIN’S HOME MOVIES
    DVD 6 – WHEREVER WE MAY ROAM

The sole DVD in the Kill 'Em All box was a live gig from Chicago, August 1983

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

For the Black Album box, there are 6 DVDs DVD 1 – A YEAR AND A HALF IN THE LIFE OF METALLICA OUTTAKES DVD 2 – LIVE AT GENTOFTE STADION, COPENHAGEN, DENMARK – AUGUST 10TH, 1991 + BONUS SH*T DVD 3 – LIVE AT FRANKENHALLE, NUREMBERG, GERMANY – NOVEMBER 29TH, 1992 DVD 4 – LIVE AT FESTIVALPARK, WERCHTER, BELGIUM – JULY 4TH, 1993 DVD 5 – MUSIC VIDEOS + HALFIN’S HOME MOVIES DVD 6 – WHEREVER WE MAY ROAM

The sole DVD in the Kill 'Em All box was a live gig from Chicago, August 1983

Surely that's all available on the Internets at this stage? I'm actually more interested in halfins black album book, than the reissue

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Surely that's all available on the Internets at this stage? I'm actually more interested in halfins black album book, than the reissue

I am sure most of it is available - on file sharing sites and of varying quality.

The purpose of these super deluxe editions (not just Metallica's) is to celebrate albums and try to bring together as much material as possible - the album, demos, live sets, single mixes, B-sides etc as well photos, visual media etc. Some are better / more comprehensive than others but they are geared towards the fan who still wants a tangible, physical format. As far as I know, all of Metallica's have sold out of their initial print run and are now only available used & priced highly.

While the Metallica sets are on the upper end of the overkill scale, you have to commend their efforts - they really are giving something to the fans here. It's also quite unusual for a rock / metal band to include single edits so kudos to them on that as well.

Lots of bands are putting out such archive releases now - Pink Floyd, Thin Lizzy, Guns 'N' Roses, Def Leppard. Unless I am missing something, there appears to be hardly any discussion about these on the various Boards threads whereas on other forums you'd have massive threads discussing them in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

scudzilla wrote: »
    Seattle '89 blows everything out of the water, IMO the best live period of the band full stop

When aliens land and ask what metal is, we play them this

The Nal wrote: »
    When aliens land and ask what metal is, we play them this

...so are you saying aliens have landed here?

• Advertisement

Well, just ordered the remasters up to and including the Black Album.
    Listening to the Mexico gig from Binge and Purge now.
    Black Album tracks sound better live to me, but hopefully the remaster will rekindle some love.
    My first time dipping back into Metallica for years. I think I learned every riff within my ability from the first 5 albums back in the early 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,756 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have to say that Nothing Else Matters cover is growing on me

Milleys vocals sounds very like Stevie Nicks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have to say that Nothing Else Matters cover is growing on me

Milleys vocals sounds very like Stevie Nicks

That song she released with ronson is catchy as f**

Enjoy, best time of my life in the mid/late 90's going to all the european festivals/shows, then kids happened and it sorta stopped.

Back then it was amazingly cheap to do a euro festival, and so much cheaper over there, from beer/food to merch, was less than half the price we paid in UK

Unfortunately I'm no young fella, first gig abroad was Donington 95 with Metallica and then 96 with Kiss/Ozzy. Hit Europe in 97,98,99 for Dynamo festival,great memories.

Unfortunately I'm no young fella, first gig abroad was Donington 95 with Metallica and then 96 with Kiss/Ozzy. Hit Europe in 97,98,99 for Dynamo festival,great memories.

LOL, was at them 3 dynamos, think the 98 one I went over with Misery Lives Co., ended the Sat night watching Saxon with a very Fukcin hammered Phil Anselmo.
    My first introduction to Rammstein too.

LOL, was at them 3 dynamos, think the 98 one I went over with Misery Lives Co., ended the Sat night watching Saxon with a very Fukcin hammered Phil Anselmo.
    My first introduction to Rammstein too.

Yeah, Anselmo was out of it, doesn't come across that way on the release of the show. Not knowing anything about Rammstein at the time we skipped them,if only I'd a time machine.Pantera were the Sunday night. Misery loves company and Atari teenage riot were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

DVD would be cheaper to produce than Blu Ray for the band. I'm guessing they went with DVD to keep costs down as low as possible and with an older demographic of fan in mind.

DVD would be cheaper to produce than Blu Ray for the band. I'm guessing they went with DVD to keep costs down as low as possible and with an older demographic of fan in mind.

BD holds a lot more than a DVD, so would keep the number of discs down. Plus players are cheap now. The price point of the box is £200+ anyway as it's a 26 disc set - but the inclusion of multiple LPs drives that upwards. I bought all the Metallica albums up to the Black one on vinyl at the time so would prefer if it was kept separate. I was never a fan of live albums on vinyl, much more suited to CD.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

EyesClosed wrote: »
    CD would be the same quality as highest level streaming... Vinyl or flac is the higher level

That’s totally incorrect in relation to Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

BD holds a lot more than a DVD, so would keep the number of discs down. Plus players are cheap now. The price point of the box is £200+ anyway as it's a 26 disc set - but the inclusion of multiple LPs drives that upwards. I bought all the Metallica albums up to the Black one on vinyl at the time so would prefer if it was kept separate. I was never a fan of live albums on vinyl, much more suited to CD.

True, but they cost more to make and while players have come down in price, DVD players are a pittance these days.

I'd prefer Blu Ray myself but in reality, the recorded content for these early sets is coming from old high grade VHS tapes anyway so picture quality will suffer regardless and if the band was to remaster that footage even more for Blu Ray it would cost more to do so. Thin Lizzy have done the same.

I think the sets are pretty good value overall for what you get.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Anselmo was out of it, doesn't come across that way on the release of the show. Not knowing anything about Rammstein at the time we skipped them,if only I'd a time machine.Pantera were the Sunday night. Misery loves company and Atari teenage riot were excellent.

I was going anyway, then i won a competition in Kerrang to go over with Misery, got a train down to Milton Keynes and met up wit the band, Breed 77 were supporting, their Singer Paul came over with us to crew for them, that was the begining of a long freindship i've had with Paul/Breed. Comp was only for the day but we stayed on for the full weekend with our AAA passes, eventually found the coach we'd originally booked on and got home

Pantera were woeful, Phil was out of his tree.

Loved Dynamo, truly an amazing festival

scudzilla wrote:
    Pantera were woeful, Phil was out of his tree.

Now that would just pi$$ me off, but I'm sure the rest of the band were great?

Picked up the Mexico City set there from the 90s. Brilliant set and performance, but the ****ology talk between songs tests my patience. I suppose it is of its time, and they were young men still and James sounded pissed as a fart.
    Could do without the bass and guitar solos but when you listen to the whole gig in one go, it all makes sense.

Just working my way through Seattle 89 on Spotify and agree with previous posters. Seems to be them at peak levels of performance. The over and back between James and Jason can come across as a bit nasty from James, it's hard to know if it's a pisstake, James is sauced up (probably) or he was being a c·nt to him on stage.

Granadino wrote: »
    Picked up the Mexico City set there from the 90s. Brilliant set and performance, but the ****ology talk between songs tests my patience. I suppose it is of its time, and they were young men still and James sounded pissed as a fart.
    Could do without the bass and guitar solos but when you listen to the whole gig in one go, it all makes sense.

Just working my way through Seattle 89 on Spotify and agree with previous posters. Seems to be them at peak levels of performance. The over and back between James and Jason can come across as a bit nasty from James, it's hard to know if it's a pisstake, James is sauced up (probably) or he was being a c·nt to him on stage.

Nah, not a pisstake, James was rotton towards Jason at this time, held a lot of animosity towards him because Cliff was gone.

I Bought the AJFA box set purely for the Seattle vinyl, fcukin untouchable back then, the 3 gigs i seen in Oct 88 were prob the best i've ever seen them, sure i've seen then play amazing, but that era, so angry, just them against the world

Nah, not a pisstake, James was rotton towards Jason at this time, held a lot of animosity towards him because Cliff was gone.

Between one of the Seattle tracks, James has some beer, burps, and Jason said something like "you almost puked", and James replied "and so f*cking what if I did". Sounded nasty, but maybe on video it might be laughs and smiles.
    Jason going a bit too heavy on the backing vocals on Creeping Death too, maybe that annoyed James.. :p Or maybe Jason did it on purpose.

Granadino wrote: »
    Between one of the Seattle tracks, James has some beer, burps, and Jason said something like "you almost puked", and James replied "and so f*cking what if I did". Sounded nasty, but maybe on video it might be laughs and smiles.
    Jason going a bit too heavy on the backing vocals on Creeping Death too, maybe that annoyed James.. :p Or maybe Jason did it on purpose.

There was never an issue with Jason's backing vocals or playing, they (James) hated him because he was their bass player and cliff was gone.... Its pretty well documented.

Jason's vocals took the band to another level, he even stood in for Het for 3 gigs when he lost his voice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Jason's vocals took the band to another level, he even stood in for Het for 3 gigs when he lost his voice

Agreed, it brought a whole different dimension to the songs he sang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭klose

There was never an issue with Jason's backing vocals or playing, they (James) hated him because he was their bass player and cliff was gone.... Its pretty well documented.

Where any of those gigs ever released? There's a money spinner for Metallica if they ever wanted it, think we all love his verse of creeping death or his parts in seek&destroy and whiplash, but a full concert would be intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

klose wrote: »
    Where any of those gigs ever released? There's a money spinner for Metallica if they ever wanted it, think we all love his verse of creeping death or his parts in seek&destroy and whiplash, but a full concert would be intense.

Even better than that is his MOTHER FCUKER DIE!!!!!!

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »

url]https://youtu.be/8Bw4DxtId90[/url

Advertisement