Advertisement
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
Boards Golf Society are looking for new members for 2022...read about the society and their planned outings here!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

12467294

Comments



  • Have followed this case for years and have only watched the 1st episode but found Jim to be off kilter quite a bit in some of his statements!
    For example, he stated about the area known as "3 castle head" something like " why would anyone want to come here alone"?
    Thought it was weird thing to say (although not affecting what happened her, unless you count the White Lady sightings!) about an area that most people (especially spiritual or nature loving) would happily visit alone..




  • It’s clear to me the killer was known to her. The fact she went there at Christmas time is very strange. This nonsense about fixing the heating. The parents told her in September but she goes over at Christmas to fix it ? Also we know she had an affair before, actually at the house. So I think she may have being having an affair with someone at the time. It would explain the lack of crime scene inside. Also she was wearing boots so there was no chase, she went outside of her own accord. Walking someone out or letting someone in at the gate ? She knew her killer and he was almost certainly local. Another possibilitie is the Man who lived next door ? She would have known him, did he go late at night about something then made a pass ? Sneak back in without the wife knowing. Was his finger prints, hair etc taken . Was their house searched.




  • Taeholic wrote: »
    I'm just as conflicted as I was before I watched the show.
    No blood anywhere in the house only on the door?

    If she went to let someone in, then how did her blood end up on only the door and her body/scene of murder was found at the gate? It makes no sense to me. Surely there would have been a trail of blood. Up or down

    Incompetence of the Gardai maybe? Her body being left overnight is shocking and disturbing. How does a gate disappear also?

    Ian Bailey gives me the creeps but the only parts that swayed my opinion towards his guilt was his previous assault on his partner. And his behaviour when asked about his alibi in the final episode.

    His avoiding his alibi question in he final episode is the only bit that stood out to me also. But he was pissed so maybe had some sort of sense to realise he needs to keep his mouth shut. That is the one piece that will nail him if he makes a change to his alibi. Attack on Jules and the pictures were very striking I agree. But like you I left with very little else to convince me he's guilty.




  • Larsso30 wrote: »
    His avoiding his alibi question in he final episode is the only bit that stood out to me also. But he was pissed so maybe had some sort of sense to realise he needs to keep his mouth shut. That is the one piece that will nail him if he makes a change to his alibi. Attack on Jules and the pictures were very striking I agree. But like you I left with very little else to convince me he's guilty.


    I completely agree. I think Ian Bailey loves the attention and notoriety of being the chief suspect for whatever bizarre reason. I can't understand Jules standing by him until this year, there wasn't an ounce of love displayed between the two of them. Strange relationship.

    Perhaps the rumour of the late Garda being the killer is credible. I wonder why this was never mentioned past the comment from Ian about the blue Ford being driven erratically. Either way Sophie never got justice.




  • vladmydad wrote: »
    It’s clear to me the killer was known to her. The fact she went there at Christmas time is very strange. This nonsense about fixing the heating. The parents told her in September but she goes over at Christmas to fix it ? Also we know she had an affair before, actually at the house. So I think she may have being having an affair with someone at the time. It would explain the lack of crime scene inside. Also she was wearing boots so there was no chase, she went outside of her own accord. Walking someone out or letting someone in at the gate ? She knew her killer and he was almost certainly local. Another possibilitie is the Man who lived next door ? She would have known him, did he go late at night about something then made a pass ? Sneak back in without the wife knowing. Was his finger prints, hair etc taken . Was their house searched.

    Agreed about the heating story, it doesn't make sense. Apparently Sophie had a strained relationship with the neighbours but definitely plausible. Considering we know she fought for her life, how did they not hear a sound? Even with the windows closed, it's the middle of nowhere you'd hear a car coming a mile off much less a woman screaming repeatedly.


  • Advertisement


  • Taeholic wrote: »
    I completely agree. I think Ian Bailey loves the attention and notoriety of being the chief suspect for whatever bizarre reason. I can't understand Jules standing by him until this year, there wasn't an ounce of love displayed between the two of them. Strange relationship.

    Perhaps the rumour of the late Garda being the killer is credible. I wonder why this was never mentioned past the comment from Ian about the blue Ford being driven erratically. Either way Sophie never got justice.

    I agree Bailey is an crazy attention seeker. On the day of the french court verdict going to the market was pure attention seeking - most rational people would stay away from public places but he wanted the attention.

    The 70th birthday party for Jules was uncomfortable watching. I feel so sorry for Jules that she has wasted a good chunk of her life with Bailey.

    He is a very odd man but I still dont think he murdered Sophie.




  • Deeec wrote: »
    Her husbands reaction to her death was very strange. Sophie died in December 1996, he had a new baby with another women by March 1998 and was remarried by June 1998. He didnt mourn Sophie for very long.

    hmmm baby born in march 98 would have been conceived in the summer of 97 just 6 months or so after her death, not very mournful behaviour alright..although maybe their marriage was on the wain anyway, both having extra marital affairs?
    Deeec wrote: »
    Last night it mentioned she was wearing her night clothes and boots. If she was fleeing from somebody would she have had time to put on boots?
    Also if she was trying to get away from somebody why did she go towards the road? Why didnt she go towards her neighbours house which was close by?

    Did she go down to open the gate for somebody?

    she definitely knew her killer and was expecting him (or her- who knows) that night, a heated argument ensued and she was killed in a fit of rage ....and as others have alluded to i find it hard to understand how her neighbours didn't hear any commotion unless they were heavy sleepers




  • fryup wrote: »
    she definitely knew her killer and was expecting him (or her- who knows) that night, a heated argument ensued and she was killed in a fit of rage ....and as others have alluded to i find it hard to understand how her neighbours didn't hear any commotion unless they were heavy sleepers

    And, correct me if wrong here, but nothing to suggest that 'person known to her' was Bailey?

    Was it windy that night? Could sounds have carried in a different direction?




  • fryup wrote: »
    hmmm baby born in march 98 would have been conceived in the summer of 97 just 6 months or so after her death, not very mournful behaviour alright..although maybe their marriage was on the wain anyway, both having extra marital affairs?



    she definitely knew her killer and was expecting him (or her- who knows) that night, a heated argument ensued and she was killed in a fit of rage ....and as others have alluded to i find it hard to understand how her neighbours didn't hear any commotion unless they were heavy sleepers

    Very plausible the neighbours heard nothing. Winter time, high winds, rough seas could drown out most noises.

    Whats startling in alot of these cases (not just sophies) is how the cops draw their own conclusion and only follow that single line of enquiry. When you hear in some cases certain people not even being questioned the mind really boggles, it only takes a few hours.

    The Gardai being sent home with their tails between there legs is just so Irish, not wanting to rock the both with our EU superiors.

    I wonder did she travel much in Ireland outside of West Cork during her previous travels here? Possibly meet another man from elsewhere in Ireland who had visited her from time to time? There is potentially an individual nobody has even mentioned (non local) who was very familiar with where she lived.




  • lukin wrote: »
    The time of death was never established which was a big handicap in finding the killer. John Harbison was very unprofessional to not get to the scene of the crime as soon as possible. He knew he could get away with it I suppose.
    The Garda investigation was inept, no doubt about that. Deliberately inept?
    Possibly so. What has come to light in the years since regarding Garda corruption makes that easy to believe. The Gardai were not used to dealing with homicides so that was another factor in the mishandling of the case.
    Also the time of year being Christmas didn't help. A sort of an Irish "erra I can't be a###d attitude" was there I think. It doesn't matter if it is Christmas though, you still have to do your job.
    All in all a bit of a cock-up, the Irish justice system failed Sophie and her poor family. I know murders occur all the time and the killer is not brought to justice but it still makes me sad.

    I think that by the time Harbison had been contacted it was then too late to determine time of death. Him rushing down to Cork wasn't going to change that fact


  • Advertisement


  • AdrianG08 wrote: »

    I wonder did she travel much in Ireland outside of West Cork during her previous travels here? Possibly meet another man from elsewhere in Ireland who had visited her from time to time? There is potentially an individual nobody has even mentioned (non local) who was very familiar with where she lived.

    excellent point, we shouldn't concentrate on west cork all the time, more than likely she would have hired a car and travelled around the country on occasion

    and also what airport did she use? Dublin? Cork? did she stay overnight in these city's? did she meet some guy in a bar? have a fling? countless possibilities to consider




  • What has Bailey got to say about his alleged confessions he made to other people? i.e to the young lad in the car and I think there was another also.

    Does he contest that or claim he was joking or what?




  • fryup wrote: »
    excellent point, we shouldn't concentrate on west cork all the time, more than likely she would have hired a car and travelled around the country on occasion

    and also what airport did she use? Dublin? Cork? did she stay overnight in these city's? did she meet some guy in a bar? have a fling? countless possibilities to consider

    She spent time in Connemara according to the podcast




  • AdrianG08 wrote: »
    What has Bailey got to say about his alleged confessions he made to other people? i.e to the young lad in the car and I think there was another also.

    Does he contest that or claim he was joking or what?

    Sarcasm / joking




  • anyone got a link to this Podcast, that's mentioned a lot here




  • I read an official report,over 60 pages long,i think it was the dpp report.I got the link from another thread here.
    He told the teenager(hitchhiker) he smashed her head in with a rock as a joke.the boy knew it was a joke and was not alarmed but he told some people about the joke.
    Other people got involved(the "he did it" people) and the boy changed his story that it was a confession.




  • It's clear from the way he goes on he's fond of hyperbole and ill advised humour. Also if half the town think you did it it becomes a psychological defense mechanism. Jesus look at the number of people on the states who confessed and ended up exonerated in the end by DNA. No one believed a confession could be anything but true before then.

    90% of the time the most likely suspect is the perpetrator. But that 10% means we keep the burden of proof very high. Think of the Graham Dwyer case, he wasn't on anyone radar when she went missing, took a bit of digging to get to him.

    He's an absolute narrcacist, I felt so sorry for Jules, dreadful situation. The only good point in it was the last bit of text saying she'd split from him, good for her. Hope she finds some peace.




  • fryup wrote: »
    anyone got a link to this Podcast, that's mentioned a lot here

    https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3dlc3Rjb3Jr
    There you go! Its a good one worth a listen!



    As his "confessions" they all seemed to stem from him being a mouthy idiot, who flew off the handle.
    His explanation for most of them was a flippen remark when someone said something.




  • fryup wrote: »
    anyone got a link to this Podcast, that's mentioned a lot here

    It's on all the podcast apps, Spotify, Audible (originally theirs) or podcast addict. It's just called "West Cork". It's brilliant stuff, very strange and compelling story




  • It's clear from the way he goes on he's fond of hyperbole and ill advised humour. Also if half the town think you did it it becomes a psychological defense mechanism. .

    I can tell you it's far more than half the town who thinks he did it....


  • Advertisement


  • It's on all the podcast apps, Spotify, Audible (originally theirs) or podcast addict. It's just called "West Cork". It's brilliant stuff, very strange and compelling story

    and who's behind this?? someone local? a blow in? a Bailey associate?




  • fryup wrote: »
    and who's behind this?? someone local? a blow in? a Bailey associate?

    No, people who appear to have no connection to him or the town, Yarn FM.

    But its fair and balanced I thought, its a few years old only recently released free on spotify/google.
    Covers similar ground to this where Bailey "takes over" or tries to.




  • Marie Farrell the women who witnessed the man late that night on the road was the key to this but with the length of time it took for her to come forward that ship has sailed ,

    Her story about the head Garda getting naked in her house still baffles me , makes me think the Garda where up to all sorts and may have more to hide




  • Marie Farrell the women who witnessed the man late that night on the road was the key to this but with the length of time it took for her to come forward that ship has sailed ,

    Her story about the head Garda getting naked in her house still baffles me , makes me think the Garda where up to all sorts and may have more to hide

    Or she herself could be mad. She claims to have seem the same man following Sophie the morning of her death. Then she spots the potential killer on the way home. Seems pretty coincidental that this woman was at the centre of this drama.

    I'm leaning more towards bored country housewife looking for a buzz and maybe it all got away from her.




  • Or she herself could be mad. She claims to have seem the same man following Sophie the morning of her death. Then she spots the potential killer on the way home. Seems pretty coincidental that this woman was at the centre of this drama.

    I'm leaning more towards bored country housewife looking for a buzz and maybe it all got away from her.

    Ye very possible could be why the man in the car with her was never named
    Although i always thoughtful maybe it was a Guard in her car ,




  • Ye very possible could be why the man in the car with her was never named
    Although i always thoughtful maybe it was a Guard in her car ,

    Had to laugh at her trying to act coy and secretive, wouldn't say it would be in her nature to not tell the whole world something that would get her a bit of attention.

    She is the definition of the unreliable witness.

    Her description of the man outside the shop was funny too, long coat, sallow skin, a beret, trying to make him sound as french as she could.




  • AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at her trying to act coy and secretive, wouldn't say it would be in her nature to not tell the whole world something that would get her a bit of attention.

    She is the definition of the unreliable witness.

    Her description of the man outside the shop was funny too, long coat, sallow skin, a beret, trying to make him sound as french as she could.

    Only short of saying he said Nicole ,PAPA :D




  • How come she was never charged with something like perverting the course of justice, or wasting Garda time?




  • Addle wrote: »
    How come she was never charged with something like perverting the course of justice, or wasting Garda time?




    they will get to it after someone gets the chop for those recordings... oh wait


  • Advertisement


  • Does the violence of the murder point towards a rage. Rage from the murderer being found out for something else. E.g an affair. Like I'll let your wife know about this you wait and see. These style murders are often rage induced to protect the preparator from exposure not of the murder at hand but another act known to the victim and the murderer.

    Does seem to have the hall marks of a jilted lover though with the visit back to Ireland at that time of year.


Advertisement