Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

It’s clear to me the killer was known to her. The fact she went there at Christmas time is very strange. This nonsense about fixing the heating. The parents told her in September but she goes over at Christmas to fix it ? Also we know she had an affair before, actually at the house. So I think she may have being having an affair with someone at the time. It would explain the lack of crime scene inside. Also she was wearing boots so there was no chase, she went outside of her own accord. Walking someone out or letting someone in at the gate ? She knew her killer and he was almost certainly local. Another possibilitie is the Man who lived next door ? She would have known him, did he go late at night about something then made a pass ? Sneak back in without the wife knowing. Was his finger prints, hair etc taken . Was their house searched.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Taeholic wrote: »
    I'm just as conflicted as I was before I watched the show.
    No blood anywhere in the house only on the door?

If she went to let someone in, then how did her blood end up on only the door and her body/scene of murder was found at the gate? It makes no sense to me. Surely there would have been a trail of blood. Up or down

Incompetence of the Gardai maybe? Her body being left overnight is shocking and disturbing. How does a gate disappear also?

Ian Bailey gives me the creeps but the only parts that swayed my opinion towards his guilt was his previous assault on his partner. And his behaviour when asked about his alibi in the final episode.

His avoiding his alibi question in he final episode is the only bit that stood out to me also. But he was pissed so maybe had some sort of sense to realise he needs to keep his mouth shut. That is the one piece that will nail him if he makes a change to his alibi. Attack on Jules and the pictures were very striking I agree. But like you I left with very little else to convince me he's guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Larsso30 wrote: »
    His avoiding his alibi question in he final episode is the only bit that stood out to me also. But he was pissed so maybe had some sort of sense to realise he needs to keep his mouth shut. That is the one piece that will nail him if he makes a change to his alibi. Attack on Jules and the pictures were very striking I agree. But like you I left with very little else to convince me he's guilty.

I completely agree. I think Ian Bailey loves the attention and notoriety of being the chief suspect for whatever bizarre reason. I can't understand Jules standing by him until this year, there wasn't an ounce of love displayed between the two of them. Strange relationship.

Perhaps the rumour of the late Garda being the killer is credible. I wonder why this was never mentioned past the comment from Ian about the blue Ford being driven erratically. Either way Sophie never got justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

vladmydad wrote: »
    It’s clear to me the killer was known to her. The fact she went there at Christmas time is very strange. This nonsense about fixing the heating. The parents told her in September but she goes over at Christmas to fix it ? Also we know she had an affair before, actually at the house. So I think she may have being having an affair with someone at the time. It would explain the lack of crime scene inside. Also she was wearing boots so there was no chase, she went outside of her own accord. Walking someone out or letting someone in at the gate ? She knew her killer and he was almost certainly local. Another possibilitie is the Man who lived next door ? She would have known him, did he go late at night about something then made a pass ? Sneak back in without the wife knowing. Was his finger prints, hair etc taken . Was their house searched.

Agreed about the heating story, it doesn't make sense. Apparently Sophie had a strained relationship with the neighbours but definitely plausible. Considering we know she fought for her life, how did they not hear a sound? Even with the windows closed, it's the middle of nowhere you'd hear a car coming a mile off much less a woman screaming repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Deeec

Taeholic wrote: »
    I completely agree. I think Ian Bailey loves the attention and notoriety of being the chief suspect for whatever bizarre reason. I can't understand Jules standing by him until this year, there wasn't an ounce of love displayed between the two of them. Strange relationship.

Perhaps the rumour of the late Garda being the killer is credible. I wonder why this was never mentioned past the comment from Ian about the blue Ford being driven erratically. Either way Sophie never got justice.

I agree Bailey is an crazy attention seeker. On the day of the french court verdict going to the market was pure attention seeking - most rational people would stay away from public places but he wanted the attention.

The 70th birthday party for Jules was uncomfortable watching. I feel so sorry for Jules that she has wasted a good chunk of her life with Bailey.

He is a very odd man but I still dont think he murdered Sophie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Deeec wrote: »
    Her husbands reaction to her death was very strange. Sophie died in December 1996, he had a new baby with another women by March 1998 and was remarried by June 1998. He didnt mourn Sophie for very long.

hmmm baby born in march 98 would have been conceived in the summer of 97 just 6 months or so after her death, not very mournful behaviour alright..although maybe their marriage was on the wain anyway, both having extra marital affairs?
    Deeec wrote: »
    Last night it mentioned she was wearing her night clothes and boots. If she was fleeing from somebody would she have had time to put on boots?
    Also if she was trying to get away from somebody why did she go towards the road? Why didnt she go towards her neighbours house which was close by?

Did she go down to open the gate for somebody?

she definitely knew her killer and was expecting him (or her- who knows) that night, a heated argument ensued and she was killed in a fit of rage ....and as others have alluded to i find it hard to understand how her neighbours didn't hear any commotion unless they were heavy sleepers

• Registered Users Posts: 27,391 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

fryup wrote: »
    she definitely knew her killer and was expecting him (or her- who knows) that night, a heated argument ensued and she was killed in a fit of rage ....and as others have alluded to i find it hard to understand how her neighbours didn't hear any commotion unless they were heavy sleepers

And, correct me if wrong here, but nothing to suggest that 'person known to her' was Bailey?

Was it windy that night? Could sounds have carried in a different direction?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

hmmm baby born in march 98 would have been conceived in the summer of 97 just 6 months or so after her death, not very mournful behaviour alright..although maybe their marriage was on the wain anyway, both having extra marital affairs?

Very plausible the neighbours heard nothing. Winter time, high winds, rough seas could drown out most noises.

Whats startling in alot of these cases (not just sophies) is how the cops draw their own conclusion and only follow that single line of enquiry. When you hear in some cases certain people not even being questioned the mind really boggles, it only takes a few hours.

The Gardai being sent home with their tails between there legs is just so Irish, not wanting to rock the both with our EU superiors.

I wonder did she travel much in Ireland outside of West Cork during her previous travels here? Possibly meet another man from elsewhere in Ireland who had visited her from time to time? There is potentially an individual nobody has even mentioned (non local) who was very familiar with where she lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭G1032

lukin wrote: »
    The time of death was never established which was a big handicap in finding the killer. John Harbison was very unprofessional to not get to the scene of the crime as soon as possible. He knew he could get away with it I suppose.
    The Garda investigation was inept, no doubt about that. Deliberately inept?
    Possibly so. What has come to light in the years since regarding Garda corruption makes that easy to believe. The Gardai were not used to dealing with homicides so that was another factor in the mishandling of the case.
    Also the time of year being Christmas didn't help. A sort of an Irish "erra I can't be a###d attitude" was there I think. It doesn't matter if it is Christmas though, you still have to do your job.
    All in all a bit of a cock-up, the Irish justice system failed Sophie and her poor family. I know murders occur all the time and the killer is not brought to justice but it still makes me sad.

I think that by the time Harbison had been contacted it was then too late to determine time of death. Him rushing down to Cork wasn't going to change that fact

AdrianG08 wrote: »

I wonder did she travel much in Ireland outside of West Cork during her previous travels here? Possibly meet another man from elsewhere in Ireland who had visited her from time to time? There is potentially an individual nobody has even mentioned (non local) who was very familiar with where she lived.

excellent point, we shouldn't concentrate on west cork all the time, more than likely she would have hired a car and travelled around the country on occasion

and also what airport did she use? Dublin? Cork? did she stay overnight in these city's? did she meet some guy in a bar? have a fling? countless possibilities to consider

• Advertisement

What has Bailey got to say about his alleged confessions he made to other people? i.e to the young lad in the car and I think there was another also.

Does he contest that or claim he was joking or what?

excellent point, we shouldn't concentrate on west cork all the time, more than likely she would have hired a car and travelled around the country on occasion

and also what airport did she use? Dublin? Cork? did she stay overnight in these city's? did she meet some guy in a bar? have a fling? countless possibilities to consider

She spent time in Connemara according to the podcast

What has Bailey got to say about his alleged confessions he made to other people? i.e to the young lad in the car and I think there was another also.

Does he contest that or claim he was joking or what?

Sarcasm / joking

anyone got a link to this Podcast, that's mentioned a lot here

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I read an official report,over 60 pages long,i think it was the dpp report.I got the link from another thread here.
    He told the teenager(hitchhiker) he smashed her head in with a rock as a joke.the boy knew it was a joke and was not alarmed but he told some people about the joke.
    Other people got involved(the "he did it" people) and the boy changed his story that it was a confession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's clear from the way he goes on he's fond of hyperbole and ill advised humour. Also if half the town think you did it it becomes a psychological defense mechanism. Jesus look at the number of people on the states who confessed and ended up exonerated in the end by DNA. No one believed a confession could be anything but true before then.

90% of the time the most likely suspect is the perpetrator. But that 10% means we keep the burden of proof very high. Think of the Graham Dwyer case, he wasn't on anyone radar when she went missing, took a bit of digging to get to him.

He's an absolute narrcacist, I felt so sorry for Jules, dreadful situation. The only good point in it was the last bit of text saying she'd split from him, good for her. Hope she finds some peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3dlc3Rjb3Jr
    There you go! Its a good one worth a listen!

As his "confessions" they all seemed to stem from him being a mouthy idiot, who flew off the handle.
    His explanation for most of them was a flippen remark when someone said something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's on all the podcast apps, Spotify, Audible (originally theirs) or podcast addict. It's just called "West Cork". It's brilliant stuff, very strange and compelling story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

It's clear from the way he goes on he's fond of hyperbole and ill advised humour. Also if half the town think you did it it becomes a psychological defense mechanism. .

I can tell you it's far more than half the town who thinks he did it....

It's on all the podcast apps, Spotify, Audible (originally theirs) or podcast addict. It's just called "West Cork". It's brilliant stuff, very strange and compelling story

and who's behind this?? someone local? a blow in? a Bailey associate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

and who's behind this?? someone local? a blow in? a Bailey associate?

No, people who appear to have no connection to him or the town, Yarn FM.

But its fair and balanced I thought, its a few years old only recently released free on spotify/google.
    Covers similar ground to this where Bailey "takes over" or tries to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Marie Farrell the women who witnessed the man late that night on the road was the key to this but with the length of time it took for her to come forward that ship has sailed ,

Her story about the head Garda getting naked in her house still baffles me , makes me think the Garda where up to all sorts and may have more to hide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Marie Farrell the women who witnessed the man late that night on the road was the key to this but with the length of time it took for her to come forward that ship has sailed ,

Her story about the head Garda getting naked in her house still baffles me , makes me think the Garda where up to all sorts and may have more to hide

Or she herself could be mad. She claims to have seem the same man following Sophie the morning of her death. Then she spots the potential killer on the way home. Seems pretty coincidental that this woman was at the centre of this drama.

I'm leaning more towards bored country housewife looking for a buzz and maybe it all got away from her.

Or she herself could be mad. She claims to have seem the same man following Sophie the morning of her death. Then she spots the potential killer on the way home. Seems pretty coincidental that this woman was at the centre of this drama.

I'm leaning more towards bored country housewife looking for a buzz and maybe it all got away from her.

Ye very possible could be why the man in the car with her was never named
    Although i always thoughtful maybe it was a Guard in her car ,

Ye very possible could be why the man in the car with her was never named
    Although i always thoughtful maybe it was a Guard in her car ,

Had to laugh at her trying to act coy and secretive, wouldn't say it would be in her nature to not tell the whole world something that would get her a bit of attention.

She is the definition of the unreliable witness.

Her description of the man outside the shop was funny too, long coat, sallow skin, a beret, trying to make him sound as french as she could.

Had to laugh at her trying to act coy and secretive, wouldn't say it would be in her nature to not tell the whole world something that would get her a bit of attention.

She is the definition of the unreliable witness.

Her description of the man outside the shop was funny too, long coat, sallow skin, a beret, trying to make him sound as french as she could.

Only short of saying he said Nicole ,PAPA :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How come she was never charged with something like perverting the course of justice, or wasting Garda time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Addle wrote: »
    How come she was never charged with something like perverting the course of justice, or wasting Garda time?

they will get to it after someone gets the chop for those recordings... oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does the violence of the murder point towards a rage. Rage from the murderer being found out for something else. E.g an affair. Like I'll let your wife know about this you wait and see. These style murders are often rage induced to protect the preparator from exposure not of the murder at hand but another act known to the victim and the murderer.

Does seem to have the hall marks of a jilted lover though with the visit back to Ireland at that time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

listermint wrote: »
    Does the violence of the murder point towards a rage. Rage from the murderer being found out for something else. E.g an affair. Like I'll let your wife know about this you wait and see. These style murders are often rage induced to protect the preparator from exposure not of the murder at hand but another act known to the victim and the murderer.

Does seem to have the hall marks of a jilted lover though with the visit back to Ireland at that time of year.

she was known by her maiden name to locals, need we say more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement