Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

What kind of set up or runner trap/protection do Tipp need to set up on opposition puck outs - rather than their own puck out - personally, I think Barry Hogan should be selected due to the speed of his puck out. Brian takes his time - giving teams too much time to reset.
    I'd say we'll see a set up like this for opposition puck outs come championship - (obviously it will be very different on our own puck outs):
    Barry Hogan
    C BARRETT Pauric Maher Barry Heff
    Niall O’Meara Willy Connors
    Ronan Maher Seamus Kennedy Brendan Maher
    Dan McC

Flynn
    Callanan Noel McG
    Bubbles Jason Forde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

Niall O Meara out of the opener after having his appendix removed, he never has any luck with injuries and now illness.

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Niall O Meara out of the opener after having his appendix removed, he never has any luck with injuries and now illness.

Jesus, will an appendix keep him out that long?
    He is terribly unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

formerlyET wrote: »
    Jesus, will an appendix keep him out that long?
    He is terribly unlucky.

Yeah Sheedy said he's most likely out of the semi final, bubbles also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah Sheedy said he's most likely out of the semi final, bubbles also.

Christ.

The GAA Hour we're taking the piss out of Sheedy for talking about a training block and using it as an excuse.

• Advertisement

Christ.

The GAA Hour we're taking the piss out of Sheedy for talking about a training block and using it as an excuse.

Wooly and Hayes? They'd certainly no more about preparing teams than Liam Sheedy!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Ompala

What kind of set up or runner trap/protection do Tipp need to set up on opposition puck outs - rather than their own puck out - personally, I think Barry Hogan should be selected due to the speed of his puck out. Brian takes his time - giving teams too much time to reset.
    I'd say we'll see a set up like this for opposition puck outs come championship - (obviously it will be very different on our own puck outs):
    Barry Hogan
    C BARRETT Pauric Maher Barry Heff
    Niall O’Meara Willy Connors
    Ronan Maher Seamus Kennedy Brendan Maher
    Dan McC

Flynn
    Callanan Noel McG
    Bubbles Jason Forde

Would say Flynn would be back there ahead of O'Meara. If he is a starter, might be worth having John McGrath drift out to the middle as a link man for the forwards. He did well in that role in 2019 all ireland. It does rob having him so close to goal though. I think Forde could do that job if needed too. I would also go for Barry over Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Club draws made tonight
    intermediate football
    group 1
    Grangemockler Ballyneale, Clonmel Og, Mullinahone
    Group 2
    Fethard, Golden Kilfeacle, Clonmel Commercials, Loughmore
    Group 3
    Galtee Rovers, Drom & Inch, Fr Sheehys, Cashel King Cormacs
    Group 4
    Moyle Rovers, JK Brackens, Borrisokane, Clonoulty

Intermediate Hurling
    Group 1
    Moyne Templetuohy, Borrisokane, Drom Inch, Cappawhite
    Group 2
    Knockavilla Kickhams, Carrick Davins, Ballybacon Grange, Moneygall
    Group 3
    Boherlahan Dualla, Golden Kilfeacle, Moyle Rovers, Kilsheelan Kilcash
    Group 4
    Ballingarry, Jnr Champions, Ballinahinch, Shannon Rovers

Seamus O Riain
    Group 1
    Burgess, Thurles Sarsfields, Carrick Swans, Kiladangan
    Group 2
    Newport, Templederry, Silvermines, Clonakenny
    Group 3
    Killenaule, Gortnahoe-Glenagoole, Sean Treacys, Ballina
    Group 4
    Lorrha, Portroe, St Marys, Cashel King Cormacs

Senior Football
    Group 1
    Moyle Rovers, Cahir, Aherlow, Upperchurch
    Group 2
    Kilsheelan Kilcash, Ballyporeen, Eire Og Annacarthy, Moyne Templetuohy
    Group 3
    Clonmel Commercials, Arravale Rovers, Ardfinnan, Moycarkey Borris
    Group 4
    Loughmore, JK Brackens, Killenaule, Rockwell Rovers

Dan Breen
    Group 1
    Thurles Sarsfields, Drom and Inch, Upperchurch, Eire Og Annacarthy
    Group 2
    Clonoulty, Toome, Holycross, Mullinahone
    Group 3
    Kildangan, Loughmore, JK Brackens, Moycarkey
    Group 4
    Borrisoleigh, Nenagh, Kilruane, Roscrea

I've heard the Knockavilla saga is rumbling on. Browne and Devon Ryan might not be available for Tipp U20 selection in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    I've heard the Knockavilla saga is rumbling on. Browne and Devon Ryan might not be available for Tipp U20 selection in a few weeks time.

Yes it has been appealed by Knockavilla - allegedly the appeal is in their name only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Podge1972

On this weeks Podcast

We discuss the ongoing Browne/Ryan saga.

We speak to Clare's Colin Ryan ahead of Clare v Waterford

And we have a stab at picking Tipperarys starting 15 v the winners of that game.

Click on the website and hit whatever format you want to listen in on.

https://thepremierviewpodcast.com

Knockavilla need to knock this on the head now. The move has been granted to the players - the players will not play for the club.
    What do the club think they're going to achieve? Where do they think it's going to go from here? It just looks like their trying to hold up the players' career now - it's getting beyond bitter.

Knockavilla need to knock this on the head now. The move has been granted to the players - the players will not play for the club.
    What do the club think they're going to achieve? Where do they think it's going to go from here? It just looks like their trying to hold up the players' career now - it's getting beyond bitter.

I couldn't agree more. They are like a jilted wife cutting up the clothes, throwing them out the window, and stopping the husband from seeing the kids. It's actually embarrassing the way they are behaving and almost vindicates why these lads wanted to leave to begin with. 5 players would not decide to just up sticks and leave for the rivals if they hadnt a fairly solid reason. I cant imagine a similar outcome, for example, where five Mullinahone players would move to Killenaule or vice-versa unless there was a huge fallout. Maybe Kickhams should just take a deep breath and actually learn from the experience instead of showing themselves up. if they persist with this, their club could face further problems down the track. We are not talking about Declan Rice/Jack Grealish type characters here, we are talking about local lads who have suddenly decided to leave their club for their bitter rivals... this couldn't have been an easy decision.

And it shines a bad light on the game itself. Any parent looking at that wont send their kid into the local field when they see these wagons are running the show.

Can't agree lads, this has nothing to do with the actual case at hand, this is soley about the parish rule now and that is why this appeal is taking place and why I suggested its not actually Knockavilla who are behind the appeal.

If this case is allowed to go through then the precedent is catastrophic for all smaller clubs, the parish rule is the bedrock of the GAA and if it goes then it is a slippery slope for the GAA and another step towards professionalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

I couldn't agree more. They are like a jilted wife cutting up the clothes, throwing them out the window, and stopping the husband from seeing the kids. It's actually embarrassing the way they are behaving and almost vindicates why these lads wanted to leave to begin with. 5 players would not decide to just up sticks and leave for the rivals if they hadnt a fairly solid reason. I cant imagine a similar outcome, for example, where five Mullinahone players would move to Killenaule or vice-versa unless there was a huge fallout. Maybe Kickhams should just take a deep breath and actually learn from the experience instead of showing themselves up. if they persist with this, their club could face further problems down the track. We are not talking about Declan Rice/Jack Grealish type characters here, we are talking about local lads who have suddenly decided to leave their club for their bitter rivals... this couldn't have been an easy decision.

And it shines a bad light on the game itself. Any parent looking at that wont send their kid into the local field when they see these wagons are running the show.

The appeal has nothing to do with the players in question; it is about the ruling handed down, and the implications it has for other clubs going forward. And as others have said, it is not the club driving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

johnb25 wrote: »
    The appeal has nothing to do with the players in question; it is about the ruling handed down, and the implications it has for other clubs going forward. And as others have said, it is not the club driving it.

Correct. They're two parishes over from me and I would have lots of friends within the club. The club had no interest in pursuing this any further and are happy to be rid of the lads by all accounts. County board want it appealed because of the implications it might have for parish rule so Kickham's are the vehicle for this appeal. Might be short term pain but will very much be long term gain for the club given the personalities involved.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Can't agree lads, this has nothing to do with the actual case at hand, this is soley about the parish rule now and that is why this appeal is taking place and why I suggested its not actually Knockavilla who are behind the appeal.

If this case is allowed to go through then the precedent is catastrophic for all smaller clubs, the parish rule is the bedrock of the GAA and if it goes then it is a slippery slope for the GAA and another step towards professionalism.

So you think that players will queue up to leave their clubs after this saga? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Westside column sums it up:
    "Neither was the Kickhams club well pleased and they’ve now taken the case a step further with a counter appeal to the Munster Council.
    The saga continues and, meanwhile, the players remain in limbo.
    This case gets more complicated and confusing as it moves from one committee to another. The transfers were initially refused in Tipperary because they were seen to be in breach of the county bye laws relating to the parish rule.
    Remember, the transfer requests didn’t use residence as their basis of appeal but rather the extreme circumstances of an irretrievable breakdown of relationships between the players and their club.
    The DRA found against that ruling by Tipperary, suggesting that there ought to be an avenue for transfer when relationships have irretrievably broken down and that the bye laws relating to the parish rule should be revisited, and presumably reinterpreted by the county.
    In effect it was a ruling that the county bye laws in their present guise should not be a bar to such transfers.
    Last week’s Kerry committee effectively endorsed that DRA decision by stating that “the Tipperary bye laws 2021 do not, per se, set out any criteria regarding transfers within the county.”
    To many observers that reads like an extraordinary statement. We had always understood that the rule essentially confined players to their home parish or the one they were resident in, but now it appears to do nothing of the sort.
    What exactly needs to be changed in the bye law isn’t clear but already there’s mention of the County Board revisiting the rule book to tighten the regulations for future years.
    The worry of some, no doubt exaggerated, is that this decision, particularly relating to irretrievable breakdown, could create a free-for-all.
    What constitutes irretrievable breakdown is, I suppose, a subjective judgment and it seemed at face value to lower the bar for future transfers.
    However, the notion that this judgment could lead to wholesale movement of players is surely way off the mark.
    The GAA culture is still very much anchored in parish and community and that’s not going to change, even if some individual cases may use this judgment as a precedent.
    In all of this, it seems, the Kickhams club felt that their side wasn’t given due acknowledgment.
    The breakdown wasn’t irretrievable in their eyes, the door still open for the players to return to the colours, however improbable that might seem to outside observers.
    They’ve taken their annoyance now to Munster Council. I’m not sure it’s the wisest move. There’s a time to let go and move on. There’s been enough water under the bridge on this issue thus far, so perhaps it’s appropriate to call time on any further aggravation.
    The club had a rousing win over Cappawhite last Saturday in the belated 2020 West intermediate final, no doubt fired by recent events.
    It might be wise to keep the spotlight on the playing pitch."

James Woodlock and coach / selectors Conor O’Brien, Brendan Ferris, Damien Ryan and Cormac McGrath have named the following Minor panel:

Adam Brannigan, St Marys
    Mason Cawley, Nenagh Eire Óg
    Jack Collins, Ballina
    Sean Collins, Templederry Kenyons
    Ronan Connolly, Cashel King Cormacs
    Ben Currivan, Golden Kilfeacle
    Tom Delaney, Cahir
    Joe Egan, Moycarkey Borris
    Cathal English, Fr Sheehys
    Dylan Fogarty, Boherlahan Dualla
    Ciaran Foley, Borrisokane
    Darragh Guinan, Lorrha Dorrha
    Owen Harrigan, Carrick Swans
    Philip Hayes, Durlas Óg
    Eoin Horgan, Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams
    Orrin Jones, Knockavilla Donaskeigh Kickhams
    Jimmie Lahart, Holycross-Ballycahill
    Oisin Maher, Cahir
    Conor Martin, Cappawhite
    Darragh McCarthy, Toomevara
    Paddy McCormack, Borris-Ileigh
    David McGrath, Cashel King Cormacs
    Darragh Minogue, Durlas Óg
    Chris O’Donnell, Ballylooby Castlegrace
    Sam O’Farrell, Nenagh Eire Óg
    Paddy Phelan, Upperchurch-Drombane
    Jack Quinlan, Fethard
    Daniel Rossiter, Durlas Óg
    Sean Ryan, Upperchurch-Drombane
    Tauri Shayanewako, Nenagh Eire Óg
    Stephen Walsh, Moycarkey Borris
    Ciaran Woodlock, Durlas Óg

So you think that players will queue up to leave their clubs after this saga? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

Of course it will lead to other players leaving their parent clubs if they think it will improve and enhance their intercounty ambitions.

Why would it be the opposite?

This decision and thus precedence has opened a door that was previously shut.

Of course it will lead to other players leaving their parent clubs if they think it will improve and enhance their intercounty ambitions.

Why would it be the opposite?

This decision and thus precedence has opened a door that was previously shut.
    These players are already intercounty players and are not moving for that reason.

Do you realise how long this has dragged on? The time. The money. The negative press. And as in my previous post, the rule book is set to be addressed again. You're running away with assumptions that haven't happened yet.

• Advertisement

Do you realise how long this has dragged on? The time. The money. The negative press. And as in my previous post, the rule book is set to be addressed again. You're running away with assumptions that haven't happened yet.

All what you are saying is because it was an unprecedented case, once the precedent has been set then any similar application will be granted without any of the process that had to be worked through in this case.

And quite frankly if you are using Westside as your source there is no hope!

All what you are saying is because it was an unprecedented case, once the precedent has been set then any similar application will be granted without any of the process that had to be worked through in this case.

And quite frankly if you are using Westside as your source there is no hope!

And as in my previous post, the rule book is set to be addressed again.

Westside gives a fairly nuanced account.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭1373

It’s probably a generation thing . Younger players might not take the auld parish things as seriously as the older generation. Years ago if a guy moved from his team to a neighboring parish for the sake of medals, he’d hear it in every game he’d play especially from the sidelines

1373 wrote: »
    It’s probably a generation thing . Younger players might not take the auld parish things as seriously as the older generation. Years ago if a guy moved from his team to a neighboring parish for the sake of medals, he’d hear it in every game he’d play especially from the sidelines

I think this is a lazy assumption about young players. We'd have had an exodus a long time ago if this was the case. Plus if it was a case of moving for medals, they could do a lot better than Cashel who has more traditionally been an oval ball town aside from a purple patch in the 80s/90s

And as in my previous post, the rule book is set to be addressed again.

Westside gives a fairly nuanced account.

I don't pay too much heed to Westside after one of his recent articles. He was bemoaning the fact that Tipperary no longer wins the league regularly :rolleyes:

6 All-Ireland final appearances (plus a replay) since 2010 with 3 wins (and a poc away from a fourth) apparently isnt enough. We have to be winning a trophy that is so important, that they didn't even play a final this year and declared joint winners. Ludicrous

Most of these youngsters can't drive so they will be relying on mothers and fathers to be willing to drive them a few miles further which in most cases won't be a runner. My own parish is 20 miles from Clonmel and 16 from Carrick so i wont imagine many kids will be getting notions within the club to join Commercials or St Marys, Swan or Davins unless they get really pissed off, and in that case they'll join a neighbouring club (which never happens)

This particular case was borne out of a fall out within the club. Its an insult to the players to suggest that they are merely motivated by playing for clubs in rural areas. id be surprised if this becomes a thing.

I think this is a lazy assumption about young players. We'd have had an exodus a long time ago if this was the case. Plus if it was a case of moving for medals, they could do a lot better than Cashel who has more traditionally been an oval ball town aside from a purple patch in the 80s/90s

Cashel was the fifth club they approached, all of the other four quite rightly told them where to go. Besides i wasnt suggesting this was done for medals at all, however once the precedent is set that the parish rule no longer exists then of course you will have players moving for medals.

I don't pay too much heed to Westside after one of his recent articles. He was bemoaning the fact that Tipperary no longer wins the league regularly :rolleyes:

6 All-Ireland final appearances (plus a replay) since 2010 with 3 wins (and a poc away from a fourth) apparently isnt enough. We have to be winning a trophy that is so important, that they didn't even play a final this year and declared joint winners. Ludicrous

Westside hasnt had anything meaningful to say for over 15 years, facts are regularly ignored as well when they dont fit his rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cashel was the fifth club they approached, all of the other four quite rightly told them where to go. Besides i wasnt suggesting this was done for medals at all, however once the precedent is set that the parish rule no longer exists then of course you will have players moving for medals.

Where are you seeing that it was the 5th club?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about Westside's hurling analysis - just his bit on this case. Which is a lot more nuanced than his usual column.

BUt it might suit some posters to conflate the two when they have no actual facts or anything of substance to add - other than to offer a point that was valid at the outset of this case and is longer valid. The parish rule has been well and truly protected and it's value underlined again and again since this first cropped up. And the rule book will be looked after this is all over.
    And that's the most important thing that has come out of this case - just how open the rule was to interpretation and not the bolt tight rule they thought it was.

Advertisement