Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 7 : French GP (Paul Ricard)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    i thought the pass was due to fresher tyres didn't see the mistake.

Rosberg did, enough to call Lewis soft and shout at him to "Close the damn door". He left it wide open for Max. So he may not have locked up but still didn't defend his position properly, which amounts to the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

What was the Perez Bottas investigation anyway? Didn’t see a replay and missed all the post-race analysis etc

• Registered Users Posts: 19,926 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Average deiver Perez made a one stop strategy, work today. Only 6 seconds behind 7 time world champ on the same strategy

Sure, perez is good at looking after tyres. If I show you an example of Bottas, for example, being only 6 seconds behind Lewis, what does that tell you about Bottas?

Top Dog wrote: »
    Someone please make it stop? :(

Don't think I've ever put someone on ignore before, but I just can't cope anymore :eek:

Lol. OK. Sorry. Perez is great. Shur he's only great, a little trooper. Didn't mean to upset you that much.

How does chatting about drivers cause that much upset?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What was the Perez Bottas investigation anyway? Didn’t see a replay and missed all the post-race analysis etc

Perez ran wide after overtaking Bottas so may have exceeded track limits to overtake. Was deemed to have had the move done before going wide so no further action.
    I think that was the real reason Bottas didn't pit for fastest lap, had Perez been handed a penalty Bottas might have been in range for a podium.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    Toto said they didn`t box Bottas for fastest lap as they speculated Perez might get a 5 second penalty

And he wound up 5.8 seconds behind him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think if we’re here in 4 years with max having a few titles and Perez still there winning the odd race then yeah, you could say he’s average.

Right now though, he’s progressing very nicely indeed. He’s doing exactly what RB need by having the 2nd car right in the mix. Without him giving RB the option to block in the Mercs strategy by going long we would have had a boring race today, so for that alone I’m thankful!

Also, he’s at a team that will be happy to let him fight it out with Max for the title if he shows he can, one thing Bottas doesn’t have. Interesting times ahead!

Great result for Russell today finishing 12th. That must pit Williams back up to 9th in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what happened to ferrari . they had a disaster of a race. charles in 16 is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sure, perez is good at looking after tyres. If I show you an example of Bottas, for example, being only 6 seconds behind Lewis, what does that tell you about Bottas?

2 wins
    12 podiums
    Nearly 800 career points
    4 fastest laps.

That's a stellar career given most of that is with midfield teams in an era dominated by two teams. Labelling the guy average is total bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

To the people who don't think Perez is average: please list the drivers you think wouldn't have a chance of beating him over the course of a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Red bull is all about Verstappen, all red bull want is a driver that won't challenge Max and is good enough to get podiums, try win the constructors and I think they've found that with Checo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Red bull is all about Verstappen, all red bull want is a driver that won't challenge Max and is good enough to get podiums, try win the constructors and I think they've found that with Checo

Checo is in his infancy with the team and seems to have a faaar better handle on that RB car than the last couple of drivers.

I’d say he is there as a number two but I think he’ll have a chance to challenge Max when he’s had time to hone in his knowledge of the car etc..

Looks promising so far to me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

To the people who don't think Perez is average: please list the drivers you think wouldn't have a chance of beating him over the course of a season.

Silly question really. How can anyone possibly answer that? there are so many variables involved. We can only judge him on what he has actually done in his career which is a great deal more than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

What a bloody race.

RB pulled a fast one there. Great championship...FINALLY!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

petes wrote: »
    Did you watch the same race as the rest of us?

utzTCyo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Time to mention the hidden heroes:
    Vettel for his tyre safeing performance
    Stroll for cruising through the field to tenth.
    Norris for bettering himself to 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Harika wrote: »
    Time to mention the hidden heroes:
    Vettel for his tyre safeing performance
    Stroll for cruising through the field to tenth.
    Norris for bettering himself to 5

Feel like I say it after every race at this stage, but Gasly deserves a shout here too.

His consistency in outperforming what is really a midfield car is unreal at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

BrentMused wrote: »
    Feel like I say it after every race at this stage, but Gasly deserves a shout here too.

His consistency in outperforming what is really a midfield car is unreal at this point.

I agree he has been great this season however I would say in this race he had the fourth best car on the grid so he finished about where you would expect. Yuki needs to up his game. Being paired with Gasly in your rookie season is a tough task and we know AT won't give him more than a season to prove himself. Needs to stop making silly mistakes in Quali.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭klose

I know alpha tauris job is to really see if any red bull juniors are ready to make the step up but I wonder are they regretting not having kvyat again this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Tsunoda really need to sort himself out -- these big smashes are proving very costly. Wouldn't be surprised to see Albon back in if he doesn't start delivering with consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

what happened to ferrari . they had a disaster of a race. charles in 16 is pathetic.

They just absolutely cook their tyres

The car is probably 3rd/4th for pace but if their tyres cant stay solid for long enough they'll fall back and start a race for 4th with Alpine/Alpha Tauri/Aston Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

The Alpha Tauri is probably on par with the Mclaren , It is a very capable car and Gasly gets the most out it .I think it was Spa last year they said the figured out the front end and since then it has be to the front of the grid /midfield
    It is not using Last years parts like its predecessors when Torro Rosso , current Honda engine and Redbull rear means it has similar capabilities .Tsunoda probably needs to just wind it back a bit , Aiming for Q3 all the time is a bit of a rush to the head. much steadier pace he might be more consistent . after 7 races he should be comfortable with the car so It just control of the head for future races.

For the Ferrari , Tires are an issue but more so for Leclerc he just eats tyres ( it is his weakness) . Sainz is able to get more/further with similar pace . The car is better that what the turned up with last year so a good step forward but I would place it behind both the Mclaren and the Alpha Tauri overall for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Am I right in thinking this was the first race this season without any DNFs or retirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,122 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Am I right in thinking this was the first race this season without any DNFs or retirements?

Think they said on comms it was first time in 20 years

What a bloody race.

RB pulled a fast one there. Great championship...FINALLY!

Listening to an interesting opinion about about the pit strategy. They're saying that whichever driver was in second in at the first pitstop would have probably done the undercut and whoever was in first would probably have maintained track position. Probably true.

Max was a full 3 seconds behind Lewis when he pitted. The effectiveness of the undercut was a big surprise to everyone so whoever was in first would have prioritised track position. Max probably walloped his hard tyres to achieve the undercut so that made the second stop much more likely so they choose the second pitstop. I think Max only spent 14 laps on the hard tyre which is shorter than both the other stints on the medium tyre which were 18 and 21 laps in length. So he probably painted himself into a corner by battering the tyres to achieve the undercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

It was a really interesting strategy but for me it was the absolute faith that Red Bull had in Max that was the best part. If they had waited 1 or 2 laps later he may not have ever passed Hamilton, simply just run out of time like Bahrain. Also if Bottas made a bigger nuisance of himself or a non-compliant backmarker then Hamilton would have won. This strategy was down to very fine margins so I don't even think it was linked to the life being gone in the hard tyres, more so the window that allowed Verstappen to put on mediums and catch Hamilton. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Max was a full 3 seconds behind Lewis when he pitted. The effectiveness of the undercut was a big surprise to everyone so whoever was in first would have prioritised track position.

At that point in the race we had already seen Leclerc jump the 2 McLarens with the undercut, so there was clear evidence it was powerful, Merc should have bought Lewis in the next lap and he would have come out in front, waiting that additional lap was stupid in the extreme!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Inquitus wrote: »
    At that point in the race we had already seen Leclerc jump the 2 McLarens with the undercut, so there was clear evidence it was powerful, Merc should have bought Lewis in the next lap and he would have come out in front, waiting that additional lap was stupid in the extreme!

Max was 3 seconds clear when he pitted iirc

So if he was behind Hamilton when pitting, he would have had another 4 seconds or so to make up at the very least, which would have been tight doing since Max only got him on the 2nd last lap with the way it played out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Max was 3 seconds clear when he pitted iirc

So if he was behind Hamilton when pitting, he would have had another 4 seconds or so to make up at the very least, which would have been tight doing since Max only got him on the 2nd last lap with the way it played out

Admittedly I only watched the highlights but I suspect Max held on to a bit of tyre until the end too, he seemed to be 5 seconds or so behind for an age then pedaled on.

What was the investigation between Bottas and Perez for? It didn't say on the highlights nor did they mention an outcome

Advertisement