Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 7 : French GP (Paul Ricard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Ok Paul Ricard I apologize , you can host a good race . Battle at the front great stuff.

5 back to 10 all those points scores had great drives.
    There were a lot of on track overtakes today and the unknown tires at the start made it .

Ferrari just fell apart as the race went on ,

Alpha Tauri could be the third best team if Gasly had a bit of support , I know Tsonda is in his first season but it is a capable car

McLaren will be happy to have 5&6 grabbed in the race with Riccardo really improved for the race and Norris was great from the pit stop on.

Alpine , good drive from Alonso , Ocon could possibly have been in the points just stayed out too long .

Aston have to happy with their first double points finish. Feel Vettel should have caught that group ahead and grabbed one or 2 places . Stroll did really well 9 places and into the points . Not a bad job at all.

2 more weeks of this stuff

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Faugheen wrote: »
    To the surprise of nobody who actually pays attention rather than pulling nonsense out of their arse.

Let’s not turn my compliment into a negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Irishjg wrote: »
    Yep they are mank.
    They are awful Looking trophies. What were the french lads thinking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Oh my god … the anthems. Band sound drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

At least the trophy looks different to the standard vase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭lolie

Those trophies are horrendous looking.

Yes, i wouldn't give them for winning an egg and spoon race never mind an F1 GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

No no, I'll stick to the facts, thanks.

Someone else tried that shtick a few weeks ago after Monaco and they haven't actually been seen around here since such as how far back in their box they were put.

How is it a fact? It’s an observation and opinion at best. You might want to look up what fact means there mate.

He’s a very good driver in a VERY good car but he’s still an insincere twat at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Leave the "talk about Lewis" elsewhere please.
    Great race and Lewis played his part in making it a great race.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

2011 wrote: »
    Let’s not turn my compliment into a negative.

I'm just saying we hear more than once a season about how humble he is.

It's comments like that which make it sound like he doesn't have a humble bone in his body when every race he wins he always, always thanks the team first.

Comments like that fuel those around here that like to say that he doesn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

I wonder if they practiced the Russian anthem in case Mazepin won? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

R00ster wrote: »

There's been a Russian winner already in F3. He's been allowed to keep his flag on the graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

flazio wrote: »
    Leave the "talk about Lewis" elsewhere please.
    Great race and Lewis played his part in making it a great race.

He did.

And as for the race there was lots of other outside of the top 4 that was fantastic to watch. DR looked very racey in spots as did Lando.

Really enjoyed the race overall which I really wasn’t expecting to say. Was expecting a snooze fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

afatbollix wrote: »
    Perez would have also pitted and gone for the fastest lap. No point really.

Horner must be raging his driver affected Merc strategy.

Someone else tried that shtick a few weeks ago after Monaco and they haven't actually been seen around here since such as how far back in their box they were put.

tenor.gif?itemid=18064539

R00ster wrote: »

Wasn’t there an issue with the anthem at spa in 98 when Jordan won the race. My memory is a bit foggy on it but something in the back of my mind.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wasn’t there an issue with the anthem at spa in 98 when Jordan won the race. My memory is a bit foggy on it but something in the back of my mind.

Yeah they didnt know the Irish anthem. It was like when Irvine won. What flag to put up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Was rather different race with Eddie Irvine?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Rosberg was pretty blunt about Lewis there, saying he was too soft when Max passed him. "Close the damn door, Lewis" were his words.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Stunning champions drive from Max. Merc had comfortably the fastest race car but Red Bull played the strategy perfectly and Max was absolutely supreme hunting down Lewis, Hamilton cracked and ran off track to let him in striking distance, and Verstappen was utterly clinical with the overtake.

Mercedes Will have questions to answer how they lost the race with such a pace advantage, particularly the way they threw away Bottas race by intentionally sacrificing him in a futile attempt to hold Max up.

The A1 Ring is theoretically a decent Mercedes track on paper but it’s always an incident packed race and they’ve been very error prone there so the next couple of races could be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Rosberg was pretty blunt about Lewis there, saying he was too soft when Max passed him. "Close the damn door, Lewis" were his words.

His experience when they were teammates is that Lewis would always force him into a position where they’d either collide or he’d have to get out of it. Hamilton doesn’t have that luxury against a driver from an opposing team who would stand his ground though.

• Advertisement

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Was rather different race with Eddie Irvine?

I never mentioned Irvine. I’m referring to the Jordan F1 team and the team anthem. Irvine wasn’t even driving for Jordan in 98.Damon Hill and Ralf Schumacher were the teams drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Fantastic for max. A great honest and clean race win for him.
    Didn't win by default based on a mechnical failure or bad pit stop etc

And stroll making up 9 places.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

quokula wrote: »
    Mercedes Will have questions to answer how they lost the race with such a pace advantage, particularly the way they threw away Bottas race by intentionally sacrificing him in a futile attempt to hold Max up.

Indeed. This was just confirmed by Toto.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

No no, I'll stick to the facts, thanks.

You put people back in their box by reporting posts, how brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I never mentioned Irvine. I’m referring to the Jordan F1 team and the team anthem. Irvine wasn’t even driving for Jordan in 98.Damon Hill and Ralf Schumacher were the teams drivers.

I think the anthem issue came up with Eddie Irvine. Not with Jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

IIRC it wasn't even the only time there was an issue with the Irish anthem, in terms of "they had no idea where to get it" :D.

On the other hand, again IIRC, Irvine had the Irish tricolour behind him on the podium in Buenos Aires, 1997. I think his family got threats after that (as if he put the flag on himself). Obviously, it HAD to be in Argentina...

He did.

And as for the race there was lots of other outside of the top 4 that was fantastic to watch. DR looked very racey in spots as did Lando.

Really enjoyed the race overall which I really wasn’t expecting to say. Was expecting a snooze fest.

Yup, never understood the hate for this track - it doesn't have anything "less" than others, except for the gawdy colours of the escape areas. Back in the 1980s, when they used the "short" version, it was actually guaranteed to produce interesting races, even 'though in the end Prost would usually pull a win. We've just been very unlucky since its reintroduction that the competition had been, well, non-existent.
    Back then 'though, Signes was one of the scariest corners on the calendar, it really took a great chassis and a set of cojones to keep it down through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I didn’t watch the race. Power cut right before the start. But from what I’ve gathered from text and BBC radio commentary…

Bottas, Verstappen and Hamilton pitted on successive laps. Mercedes had half of Bottas’s outlap to decide whether to pit Hamilton. They decided not to, retaining track position, and Verstappen pitted, covering Bottas. In hindsight, it was a mistake, but hardly a blunder.

In the second round, Red Bull took away the undercut opportunity by pitting early, which forced Mercedes onto the one-stop strategy (pitting after Verstappen would likely not have benefited them).

They left out Bottas, knowing it would screw over his race, in the hope he would slow up Verstappen.

Despite all that, Hamilton was only a lap and a half from the win. Better defending by Bottas could have made the difference.

I’ve just seen Rosberg saying the obvious that drivers, in the heat of the moment, should not be making strategy calls. There’s a team of expert strategy engineers with all the data in front of them. The people at home who think they knew better than the engineers, to bring in Hamilton earlier, are right for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Considering how quickly VER pulled away, closing the door harder would likely have only delayed the inevitable by a moment.

It's nice that we've had some unpredictablity to keep things entertaining over last couple of races. I don't want to see people crash because of exploding tyres but we need some question marks. Drivers getting onto different strategies today made it a much more interesting race.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,159 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Bottas let's his feelings known to his engineer

https://streamable.com/u7wn5v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Yeah, GSTQ was played at Spa 98, much to EJ's chagrin.
    They had the right one in France and Italy in 1999.
    Of course, it wasn't played at Interlagos in 2003 because the win was initially given to Raikkonen.
    Wonder if we'll ever hear Amhrán na bhFiann played at a GP again...

Advertisement