Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 7 : French GP (Paul Ricard)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Great result from Russell to finish 12th with no retirements, seen very little of him during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

It's clear Mercedes are willing to push Bottas under a bus. Will it be George Russell taking over next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    I think the anthem issue came up with Eddie Irvine. Not with Jordan

The flag was the issue with Irvine. His family received death threats after he finished second in Argentina 1997 and the Irish flag was displayed. Irish flag also at Canada 1995.

As for Irving’s victories, it was god save the Queen for all 4 in 1999 along with a Union Jack. Post Argentina I don’t think they messed it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jv2000

I really enjoyed that race but was officially worried when Hamilton did his usual "these tyres are almost gone" routine. I thought he was definitely going to win when he said that. Still don't know why they didn't pit Bottas for a shot at fastest lap. It is now very clear Mercedes have no respect for Bottas, they hav have completely given up hiding it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

R00ster wrote: »
    Yeah, GSTQ was played at Spa 98, much to EJ's chagrin.
    They had the right one in France and Italy in 1999.
    Of course, it wasn't played at Interlagos in 2003 because the win was initially given to Raikkonen.
    Wonder if we'll ever hear Amhrán na bhFiann played at a GP again...
    Verty hard to see where an Irish team or driver would be on the grid at the moment. Never say never, but no sign of one on the horizon at the moment.

Maybe Google or Apple would buy a team and since they're headquartered in Ireland, would register the team in Ireland. Not likely (or particularly desirable).

We had the RTE director of sport talk to us in school and he said he was in the car on the way to a GP and was travelling with Eddie Irvine's dad in Eddie's Ferrari days. He got a call from someone claiming to be from one of the loyalist terrorist groups, telling him that Eddie better fly the Union Jack if he gets on the podium this weekend.

Much better race than expected.

How much of it was down to the track reprofiling and how much was the washed track causing them to expectedly go from 1 pit stop to 2?

jv2000 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that race but was officially worried when Hamilton did his usual "these tyres are almost gone" routine. I thought he was definitely going to win when he said that. Still don't know why they didn't pit Bottas for a shot at fastest lap. It is now very clear Mercedes have no respect for Bottas, they hav have completely given up hiding it.

They're treating him as a real No.2. Must be hard to take if he wasn't signed to be a no.2. He kept telling his engineer that his tyres were gone and the engineer sounded embarrassed telling him he understood. But the team were just leaving him out to slow down Max.

Bottas might be happier at Williams where he would be treated as a normal driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think they wanted to see if Perez got a time penalty for the overtake. An investigation message came up so that's the only logic I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

They're treating him as a real No.2. Must be hard to take if he wasn't signed to be a no.2. He kept telling his engineer that his tyres were gone and the engineer sounded embarrassed telling him he understood. But the team were just leaving him out to slow down Max.

Bottas might be happier at Williams where he would be treated as a normal driver.

He’s an average driver so he would suit that team alright.

George looks like he could give Hamilton a run for his money but they don’t want Rosberg V2 or worse, as in George could be better than Rosberg.

It’s a shame cause I’d love to see Hamilton actually pushed to see how he’d hold up to actual in team competition. Right now it’s his team and until he leaves Bottas is the ideal 2nd driver.

Perez was a fantastic get for RB and I reckon he could step up to Max in time. Already showing promise. Bottas will never get to that level.

I’m also impressed at how delusional Bottas is in thinking he can compete in the Merc. He’s shown time and time again he is good in qualy but just bottles it come race day.

Edit.. today may not have been his fault but that’s one in how many drives over his time in a Merc.

All that said I’m sure he sleeps well at night on a bed of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I think they wanted to see if Perez got a time penalty for the overtake. An investigation message came up so that's the only logic I could see.

That's what Toto said to Sky after the race anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That's what Toto said to Sky after the race anyway.

That's bollox they left him out to try and slow down verstappen at the expense of his own race, he should have told them he was pitting for new tyres and fc*k what his engineer was saying.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

George looks like he could give Hamilton a run for his money but they don’t want Rosberg V2 or worse, as in George could be better than Rosberg.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Thought the same re Lewis. Delighted Max did the job, relatively easy at that.

Also was wondering about Bottas not coming in for fastest lap - in my head I thought the team wanted him in but he stayed out as a f*** you back to them!

He’s an average driver so he would suit that team alright.

It’s a shame cause I’d love to see Hamilton actually pushed to see how he’d hold up to actual in team competition. Right now it’s his team and until he leaves Bottas is the ideal 2nd driver.

Perez was a fantastic get for RB and I reckon he could step up to Max in time. Already showing promise. Bottas will never get to that level.

I’m also impressed at how delusional Bottas is in thinking he can compete in the Merc. He’s shown time and time again he is good in qualy but just bottles it come race day.

Edit.. today may not have been his fault but that’s one in how many drives over his time in a Merc.

All that said I’m sure he sleeps well at night on a bed of money.

The money will help after he retires or moves to another team.

Really doubt aperwz will step up to Max. But with that said, Bottas has beaten Lewis in straight fights a few times and as you say, he's average. So maybe an average driver like Perez could beat Max a few times a season too.

He's shown no signs of beating Max so far this season. Been miles off in quali. Baku was the first time he was only marginally slower than Max. Maybe in time he will be faster than Max a couple of times a season. But I'm sure you'll agree that, like Bottas beating Lewis a couple of times a season, that wouldn't make him more than average.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭tanko

Bottas doesn’t deserve any respect, every time a driver comes up behind him he makes a mistake within a few seconds and the other car overtakes.
    He’s been stealing a good living at Mercedes for years.
    If i was him i’d keep my mouth shut and realize how lucky i was to be in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bottas made himself no 2

bottas made himself no 2

From various radio messages and interviews it would appear that he doesn’t consider himself a number 2 which is a bit odd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

MadYaker wrote: »
    That's bollox they left him out to try and slow down verstappen at the expense of his own race, he should have told them he was pitting for new tyres and fc*k what his engineer was saying.

They were talking about at the end of the face after Perez has passed him! His day was over and there was a 51 second gap back to Norris, so logic says pit and have a go at the extra point for fastest lap, but Toto said Perez was under investigation so they gambled that he’d get a time penalty putting Bottas into P3 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well that was a mostly boring race with not a whole lot happening anywhere. Delighted that Mercedes fecked up there Stategy do and that Red Bul got there right and Max won. So well done to Red Bull and to Max the Dominator.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

AMKC wrote: »
    Well that was a mostly boring race with not a whole lot happening anywhere.

Did you watch the same race as the rest of us?

MadYaker wrote: »
    From various radio messages and interviews it would appear that he doesn’t consider himself a number 2 which is a bit odd

If his contract doesn't say he's a no.2 then he's dead right to object to being treated as a no.2. But of course it makes sense for Mercedes to use him as a no.2.

Also, Ben Edwards is a really good commentator. He comes a cross as a sound man and has a really easy way about him, while also being so enthusiastic about the racing. He was excellent on the radio today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Toto said they didn`t box Bottas for fastest lap as they speculated Perez might get a 5 second penalty

tanko wrote: »
    Bottas doesn’t deserve any respect, every time a driver comes up behind him he makes a mistake within a few seconds and the other car overtakes.
    He’s been stealing a good living at Mercedes for years.
    If i was him i’d keep my mouth shut and realize how lucky i was to be in that car.

The exact same mistake that Lewis did too today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

The exact same mistake that Lewis did too today.
    what mistake was that?

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    what mistake was that?

When max passed him straight away. No defence was put up by Lewis either. You can argue that Max would have passed both of them without delay anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

When max passed him straight away. No defence was put up by Lewis either. You can argue that Max would have passed both of them without delay anyway.

i thought the pass was due to fresher tyres didn't see the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The money will help after he retires or moves to another team.

Really doubt aperwz will step up to Max. But with that said, Bottas has beaten Lewis in straight fights a few times and as you say, he's average. So maybe an average driver like Perez could beat Max a few times a season too.

He's shown no signs of beating Max so far this season. Been miles off in quali. Baku was the first time he was only marginally slower than Max. Maybe in time he will be faster than Max a couple of times a season. But I'm sure you'll agree that, like Bottas beating Lewis a couple of times a season, that wouldn't make him more than average.

Average deiver Perez made a one stop strategy, work today. Only 6 seconds behind 7 time world champ on the same strategy

It's great to see 2 evenly matched teams duking it out, can't wait for next weekend. Nice to see Danny Ric back in more usual form.

Checo's tire management was so good that I'm starting to think Pirelli should hire him as an advisor or something because he's the only driver who was able to get anywhere near what they said the tires should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Someone please make it stop? :(

Don't think I've ever put someone on ignore before, but I just can't cope anymore :eek:

Advertisement