Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mr.S wrote: »
    “ MCD Productions has been granted €264,000 to a series of outdoor music festivals.”

Wonder is one of them the pilot Phoenix Park one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/a21c2-minister-martin-announces-recipients-of-funding-under-live-performance-support-scheme-lpss-2021/

There's a downloadable PDF that lists all of the things getting funding.
    EP is getting €423,135

C'MON........................................

Edit
    Body & Soul getting funding too

Edit on the edit
    Actually, Indiependence got €265k in funding too, and it's been cancelled, so this might not mean anything, just covering the FR costs to date or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭rubick

Is it specifically funding to run an event this year though, or to tide them over to cover lost income?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

rubick wrote: »
    Is it specifically funding to run an event this year though, or to tide them over to cover lost income?

It doesn't go into too much detail, just the amount of funding each get.
    Indie got funding and it's cancelled, so i'd guess it's just running costs. Balls.

EDIT
    Actually, this is the wording of the Indie funding.
    Indiependence presents PaircLife, an outdoor concert series in Cork City at Tramore Valley Park
    That's not the usual location, so maybe they're trying something different with the funding.
    Class, optimism levels raised !!!

EDIT #2
    This is the wording for the EP funding
    EP Republic Limited Festival Republic Dublin € 423,135 Live music and theatre shows, comedy acts and arts in Stradbally Hall and Olympia Theatre

"and Olympia Theatre"?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Alkers wrote: »
    I didn't even mention testing, nevermind antigen.

The spacing and one way systems at the concert were so extreme that it was much less densely packed than every other public space in the good weather.

You asked a question on what had been learned. The answer is simply that an outdoor event can be run during a pandemic. Start small, assess the viability then build up the numbers. NPHET have done the same, and very successfully, with vaccination centres. Don't overwhelm them at first, see what's doable and then increase the numbers.

In terms of testing it was deemed to be too misleading to use but a role can be played at later events as back-up to vaccination.

• Advertisement

Apparently it's a grant for online events or for reduced capacity events. Not sure how that could or would work for EP tbh https://twitter.com/SeanDefoe/status/1404793411421474816?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FrewBrews

Eod100 wrote: »
    Apparently it's a grant for online events or for reduced capacity events. Not sure how that could or would work for EP tbh

It's also to fund live streaming if the event is unable to go ahead with an audience.

The addition of the Olympia Theatre in EP's funding makes me think this is what they'll be using it for. I could see them doing some streaming from there and on site at Stradbally Hall in a similar fashion to what Glastonbury did this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

FrewBrews wrote: »
    It's also to fund live streaming if the event is unable to go ahead with an audience.

The addition of the Olympia Theatre in EP's funding makes me think this is what they'll be using it for. I could see them doing some streaming from there and on site at Stradbally Hall in a similar fashion to what Glastonbury did this year.

It's a possibility but it doesn't have thee mass appeal of Glasto and it's unlikely they'd recoup much money. I'd be unlikely to watch anyway. Personally I'd prefer to see four auld lads do Creedence covers at a park bandstand that sit through the Pixies do a live stream. Had enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Good Lord, you can't take your eye off the ball for a second. What does it all mean??!

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    It's a possibility but it doesn't have thee mass appeal of Glasto and it's unlikely they'd recoup much money. I'd be unlikely to watch anyway. Personally I'd prefer to see four auld lads do Creedence covers at a park bandstand that sit through the Pixies do a live stream. Had enough of it.

Yeah, for sure. I suppose that is what the funding is for as they might find it difficult to break even without it. Will be interesting to see what happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭rubick

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Good Lord, you can't take your eye off the ball for a second. What does it all mean??!

I think of it in terms of this metaphor for frustration - we've all got cans at the Salty Dog but the ring pulls are broken and we're wearing boxing gloves, and instead of These Charming Men it's a big TV showing The Best of B*Witched.

Arrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

It doesn't go into too much detail, just the amount of funding each get.
    Indie got funding and it's cancelled, so i'd guess it's just running costs. Balls.

EDIT
    Actually, this is the wording of the Indie funding.
    Indiependence presents PaircLife, an outdoor concert series in Cork City at Tramore Valley Park
    That's not the usual location, so maybe they're trying something different with the funding.
    Class, optimism levels raised !!!

EDIT #2
    This is the wording for the EP funding
    EP Republic Limited Festival Republic Dublin € 423,135 Live music and theatre shows, comedy acts and arts in Stradbally Hall and Olympia Theatre

"and Olympia Theatre"?

I think live nation bought the Olympia a couple of years ago, IIRC they also own a significant share in FR, who own a share in MCD.

FrewBrews wrote: »

Makes sense. You could be on to something there alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

What would concern me is if EP try to do something half-arsed and say that is the official EP and they aren't doing refunds, ala Ryanair. I wouldn't say they had the 2020 money exactly in escrow and so I doubt they could actually afford to refund without LN/MCD kicking in some funds. I suspect they would also be reluctant to roll over tickets again - ticket prices are going to the moon next year and they will want cash money for every one sold.

Would people really pay for a live-stream of EP?! Seems a bit of a…cop out and a “what’s the point”.

That's what I mean. People probably wouldn't pay so the funding is there so they can still do it without worrying about virtual ticket revenue and pay the artists and crew. Plus I'd say a portion of it would go towards keeping them afloat until next year.

I thought they'd have asked for funding to make EP as COVID proof as possible for this year but the wording of the funding doc is making me think that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I think live nation bought the Olympia a couple of years ago, IIRC they also own a significant share in FR, who own a share in MCD.

Yep, and also the reason why no Aiken/POD/rival promoters have gigs at the Olympia generally. Pretty much every event there in recent years is MCD/Live Nation/Festival Republic promoted.

Would people really pay for a live-stream of EP?! Seems a bit of a…cop out and a “what’s the point”.

Say with state funding it could be free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭endainoz

It certainly wouldn't appeal to me anyway, agree with Seath, I've have had enough of live streaming. I think one of my most used words on this thread has been clarity, which we badly need.

I'd definitely prefer clarity instead of giving air time to some random FF councilor looking for attention that I've seen in a few different headlines already the last couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I take it the grant is an offering for a cancellation/restriction/modification of an event?

EP could hardly take the 400K, then run the festival as normal?

#edit Just heard on the news:
    "Ep, b&s and parklife are among the festivals to get funding to return in a new way"

So that's that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Fatfrog wrote: »
    I take it the grant is an offering for a cancellation/restriction/modification of an event?

EP could hardly take the 400K, then run the festival as normal?

#edit Just heard on the news:
    "Ep, b&s and parklife are among the festivals to get funding to return in a new way"

So that's that :(

Post from Vantastible;

"We are delighted to have been awarded funding through the Live Performance Support Scheme. News coming very soon about our upcoming concerts on the 10th and 11th September. It's good to be back 🀩 🥳

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0615/1228265-boost-of-25-million-for-festivals-and-gigs/ "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Liam Gallagher going ahead, outdoors Belfast June 30th.

This as of now is still going ahead, 14 days until this one starts, still expect it to be cancelled but...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Post from Vantastible;

"We are delighted to have been awarded funding through the Live Performance Support Scheme. News coming very soon about our upcoming concerts on the 10th and 11th September. It's good to be back �� ��

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0615/1228265-boost-of-25-million-for-festivals-and-gigs/ "

Interesting

Have Genesis in the 3Arena on the 15th September. Cant see it going ahead on that date :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Phibsboro wrote: »
    What would concern me is if EP try to do something half-arsed and say that is the official EP and they aren't doing refunds, ala Ryanair. I wouldn't say they had the 2020 money exactly in escrow and so I doubt they could actually afford to refund without LN/MCD kicking in some funds. I suspect they would also be reluctant to roll over tickets again - ticket prices are going to the moon next year and they will want cash money for every one sold.

This would be a nightmare. After missing gigs for so long, supporting FR by rolling over ticket to then lose your ticket for a stream. You will hear me roar if this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭emo72

Live streaming concerts have to be the most pointless thing ever. You may as well watch top of the pops. Absolute cretins if they think this is any substitute for live music. And that concert in iveagh gardens last week? **** off, they can keep it. Give us a shout when proper concerts start back. Jokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

emo72 wrote: »
    Live streaming concerts have to be the most pointless thing ever. You may as well watch top of the pops. Absolute cretins if they think this is any substitute for live music. And that concert in iveagh gardens last week? **** off, they can keep it. Give us a shout when proper concerts start back. Jokers.

Yeah might as well put on DVD or YouTube instead of these 'live streamed concerts'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭LowOdour

So, they are looking to push it back by 3 weeks? Interesting! I guess in terms of vaccination rollout, it gives that additional breathing room...on the other hand, could be getting fairly baltic to be camping out that late in the year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭Stillill42

civdef wrote: »

Woah! They're going for it! A couple of weeks late but the full deal, 70,000, multi stage, camping etc. Will they get the licence??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Rfrip

"low key entertainment"

Picture this headlining all three nights then

God i can never resist a line up attack, even in this times

• Advertisement

Advertisement