Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Chat. (MOD NOTE post# 3949 and post#5279)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The news claiming it "was an attack on democracy" made me laugh out loud.

Whatever happened to things like that just being slapping a *insert expletive".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Richard308 wrote: »
    Macron slap: Hitler book and weapons found - French reports https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-57412615

"Weapons" lol.
    a sword, a dagger and a collector's rifle

Christ I'm willing to bet everyone in this thread has a more impressive selection of "weapons" than that, firearms excluded!

Certainly anyone I know who has an interest in militaria has an arsenal in comparison :D

Reading further the guy did HEMA, no wonder he had a sword and dagger.

The article, after the clickbait bit at the top, even admits it was an open handed hit and "There was not the remotest threat to the physical integrity of the president".

As usual the media hyping it up and of course blaming it on the "far right" to get those clicks.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A bit like today here in Ireland,but with "the right wing" being in the role of the boogeyman.

The 2018 presidential election results were very interesting, Sinn Féin's support base collapsed almost immediately when Casey, a right wing populist, entered the race. It goes to show how Sinn Féin has really strayed from their voter base and really abandoned their traditional values, they're not even that nationalist anymore (as in pro-Ireland not reunification). I've talked to canvassers who asked people about what they thought Sinn Féin's positions were and they were all over the place and didn't reflect Sinn Féin's social liberalism platfrom.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    "Weapons" lol.

Christ I'm willing to bet everyone in this thread has a more impressive selection of "weapons" than that, firearms excluded!

Certainly anyone I know who has an interest in militaria has an arsenal in comparison :D

Reading further the guy did HEMA, no wonder he had a sword and dagger.

The article, after the clickbait bit at the top, even admits it was an open handed hit and "There was not the remotest threat to the physical integrity of the president".

As usual the media hyping it up and of course blaming it on the "far right" to get those clicks.

I've seen carboot sales better armed:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

"Extremist violence" :D, i've seen more extreme at a girls primary school volleyball game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Feckin joke the whole thing from start to finish TBH.:rolleyes:Macrone runs away like a truculent kid escaping its nanny.The security detail is sprinting after the French president after warning him don't do that.
    French prez gets biatch slapped by some lad into medieval martial arts.
    Media tries to find "right wing extremist" connection...But settles on "weapons" instead.
    Can see some good comedy skits here.

At least ol John fatty Prescott, when he was whatever in the UK got egged,he started wearing into the egg thrower and got two good digs in on your man before the protection detail hauled him off.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Feckin joke the whole thing from start to finish TBH.:rolleyes:Macrone runs away like a truculent kid escaping its nanny.The security detail is sprinting after the French president after warning him don't do that.
    French prez gets biatch slapped by some lad into medieval martial arts.
    Media tries to find "right wing extremist" connection...But settles on "weapons" instead.
    Can see some good comedy skits here.

At least ol John fatty Prescott, when he was whatever in the UK got egged,he started wearing into the egg thrower and got two good digs in on your man before the protection detail hauled him off.

NO ! Thats his missus !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

gxCn6G.gif

Prescott's response was pretty fast :)

Looks like the UK leauge against Cruel sports is dying a death.

https://countrysquire.co.uk/2021/06/12/leagues-death-spiral/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Cambridge police firearms charity told it cannot sponsor an under 15's football team as the term "Firearms" is not acceptable to that football team!

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-57441840

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

"Balls of steel" guy talks about the attack on his vehicle. apparently a highly-trained individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EEIXFr1bBg

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭yubabill

I believe that Covid vaccine benefits outweigh the side effects.

Here is the inventor of mRNA vaccines saying that the Covid-19 spike protein is itself cytotoxic and accumulates in ovaries the most.

The mRNA vaccine makes the body produce the Covid-19 spike protein, which is used bt the immune system as an identifier for the virus.

Cytotoxic means it attacks cells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2wm5nhTXY

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

So lads this is it , encryption on devices no longer protects you if you don't hand your password over to a warrantless search you'll be thrown in jail for 5 years and fined 30,000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-garda-powers-to-allow-access-to-mobile-phones-1.4592434
    Sad day for privacy
    Absolutely an abuse of powers will arise form this
    Doesn't matter if you're innocent ,you're assumed guilty with no right to privacy

So lads this is it , encryption on devices no longer protects you if you don't hand your password over to a warrantless search you'll be thrown in jail for 5 years and fined 30,000
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/new-garda-powers-to-allow-access-to-mobile-phones-1.4592434
    Sad day for privacy
    Doesn't matter if you're innocent ,you're assumed guilty with no right to privacy

That is one of the most repulsive pieces of legislation I've yet to see.
    From any country, not just Ireland.

What a dystopian authoritarian sh1thole this place has become, and only becoming more so.

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

That is one of the most repulsive pieces of legislation I've yet to see.
    From any country, not just Ireland.

What a dystopian authoritarian sh1thole this place has become, and only becoming more so.

Ah Otmmy, wait for the hate speech legislation !

tudderone wrote: »
    Ah Otmmy, wait for the hate speech legislation !

Already read that, and honestly I think this trumps it.
    At least in it's current iteration.

Garda suspects you of any offence, conducts a search under warrant and can order you to unlock your phone.
    You refuse and on summary conviction(no jury) €5k fine and or 12 months in prison!

That is a whole new level of invasiveness.

Digital security(device locking and the like) comes down to a few things:
    1. Location(can only be accessed in certain locations, useless for phones)
    2. Inherent(something you are, ie your fingerprints, iris scan, etc)
    3. Possession(something you have, like a usb key that unlocks your PC)
    4. Knowledge(something you know, like a pin, password, etc)

Of those, 1 is irrelevant for phones since they need to be accessed everywhere.
    2 is ok, but courts have generally held that your fingerprints can be taken/used with little safeguards.
    3 Soft/hard tokens aren't really used with phones, but realistically of this list may be the next step in securing your devices if this passes in it's current state. Not that many will be arsed in carrying around a token in addition to their phone.
    4 Knowledge is the main one used and this would render it entirely useless in the face of suspicion of having committed an offence.

Rather destroys a large chunk of device security & privacy with little alternative and certainly no ones with a similar level of convenience than a password/pin.

The only thing I can think of is you could not be done for not providing your password/pin if you forgot it given the stress you'd be under.

But that is a thin branch to stand on at the best of times.

Thank fcuk i don't have a phone anymore then. The phone i had decided to spontaniously combust one day, and i never replaced it. I'm doing just fine without the nuisance of a thing in my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,514 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Sad day for privacy

Read the actual Bill and not the Irish Times article.

It requires the search be under a power granted by a warrant.

Gardai already have this power under certain warrants and this bill extends it to all search warrants.

Already read that, and honestly I think this trumps it.
    At least in it's current iteration.

Garda suspects you of any offence and can order you to unlock your phone.
    You refuse and on summary conviction(no jury) €5k fine and or 12 months in prison!

That is a whole new level of invasiveness.

Digital security(device locking and the like) comes down to a few things:
    1. Location(can only be accessed in certain locations, useless for phones)
    2. Inherent(something you are, ie your fingerprints, iris scan, etc)
    3. Possession(something you have, like a usb key that unlocks your PC)
    4. Knowledge(something you know, like a pin, password, etc)

Of those, 1 is irrelevant for phones since they need to be accessed everywhere.
    2 is ok, but courts have generally held that your fingerprints can be taken/used with little safeguards.
    3 Soft/hard tokens aren't really used with phones, but realistically of this list may be the next step in securing your devices if this passes in it's current state. Not that many will be arsed in carrying around a token in addition to their phone.
    4 Knowledge is the main one used and this would render it entirely useless in the face of suspicion of having committed an offence.

Rather destroys a large chunk of device security & privacy with little alternative and certainly no ones with a similar level of convenience than a password/pin.

The only thing I can think of is you could not be done for not providing your password/pin if you forgot it given the stress you'd be under.

But that is a thin branch to stand on at the best of times.

No they can't, don't spread misinformation.

The irony of shooters...regular victims of newspaper headlines and proponents of ''Don't believe all you read' then turning around and believing the first thing they read.

lol

Witcher wrote: »
    No they can't, don't spread misinformation.

The irony of shooters...regular victims of newspaper headlines and proponents of ''Don't believe all you read' then turning around and believing the first thing they read.

lol

Hadn't read the bill, just the article as it was, which said:
    Security sources said the person refusing to surrender their password would have to be a suspect in a crime and trying to obstruct the investigation of that core offence before they would be convicted over the password refusal

Suspect in a crime therefore suspected of committing an offence, thus what I said was accurate with the information to hand.
    Therefore not misinformation - false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive
    Since it was not false or inaccurate given the information I had to hand.

Searched for and read the bill now and amended my earlier post, happy :P

Still a despicable invasion of privacy, but less than the warrantless search the article led me to believe was the case.

• Advertisement

Suspect in a crime therefore suspected of committing an offence, thus what I said was accurate with the information to hand.
    Therefore not misinformation - false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive

Still a despicable invasion of privacy, but less than the warrantless search the article led me to believe was the case.

As I stated earlier...the Gardai already have this power under certain warrants, this Bill just extends it to other warrants including warrants which would be utilised when investigating sexual offences etc. and they always had the power to seize the devices and open them themselves. This power saves everyone time and the taxpayer their money as there will be no more two year+ remands for cases while devices are examined.

This change was suggested by both the Law Reform Commission and the Garda Inspectorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Richard308

It’s meant for serious crime ie murder, drug trafficking, fraud, child abuse etc. I would safely say I think it won’t affect 99.99% of the population and if it would assist solving serious crime then I’m happy with it.

So what they look at your browsing history, some weird WhatsApp videos etc. mostly have a boring laborious root through your photos. Would be a waste of Garda resources.

I’ve nothing to hide, don’t think it will affect many

Witcher wrote: »
    As I stated earlier...the Gardai already have this power under certain warrants, this Bill just extends it to other warrants including warrants which would be utilised when investigating sexual offences etc. and they always had the power to seize the devices and open them themselves. This power saves everyone time and the taxpayer their money as there will be no more two year+ remands for cases while devices are examined.

This change was suggested by both the Law Reform Commission and the Garda Inspectorate.

My problem with it is largely the compelling to provide passwords.
    That, to me, is an affront to the right to not incriminate oneself.

Sure that right can be waived(by choice) but I disagree with a new offence seemingly with the aim to compel someone to incriminate oneself, or assist in that effort.

I am also very much in favor of implementing some of the reforms suggested by the commission, but I think these powers should be rather further down the list of priorities by comparison to several other suggested reforms.

I’ve nothing to hide, don’t think it will affect many[/quote]

FAMOUS LAST WORDS!!!Of many who trusted the State...How do you know what you have today in your computer or possesion is going to be illegal tomorrow?
    Or let me put it another way if you believe this...You would have no problem then if AGS,the Revenue ,Tusla,and any other welfare or law enforcement organisation ,dropped in tomorrow at 3AM with no warrant,no excuse,or other plausible reason to search your house,your private papers,and your bottom sock drawer.Question you,your family and underage children without any legal counsel,you present on any topic they fancy ,and for as long they want?Take any documents,papers ,or anything they want as "evidence of a crime"not spe ified
    Then leave with no explanation or reason?
    You would object?But if you have done nothing wrong,what have you got to hide?

No Grizzly.
    That would be unlawful, but if they’ve a warrant they can work away. And would be happy to help. Revenue, ags, Tusla, customs and excise, anyone once a court issued warrant. And you’re entitled to a copy of the warrant.

But if some clowns turned up without a warrant obviously that’s a different story.

No Grizzly.
    That would be unlawful, but if they’ve a warrant they can work away. And would be happy to help. Revenue, ags, Tusla, customs and excise, anyone once a court issued warrant. And you’re entitled to a copy of the warrant.

But if some clowns turned up without a warrant obviously that’s a different story.

But why would they need, a warrant?After all you are a "good and loyal citizen"who has nothing to hide . Right?...This is the point...If you believe you have nothing to hide in your private life ,then surely you would have no problem with govt types showing up like that warrantless.as when they need a warrant you must have something to hide from the state?

But why would they need, a warrant?After all you are a "good and loyal citizen"who has nothing to hide . Right?...This is the point...If you believe you have nothing to hide in your private life ,then surely you would have no problem with govt types showing up like that warrantless.as when they need a warrant you must have something to hide from the state?

You’re being facetious, The law is with a warrant, the point the poster made was that it was overreach and infringing on privacy even with a warrant. I’m saying if there’s a warrant I’ve no issue. I don’t believe I’ll ever be the subject of a warrant as I don’t engage in criminal behaviour.

“Govt types” what does that even mean?

You’re being facetious, The law is with a warrant,
    At the moment...Says who that it will be like this in 2,5,10 years time for something like this? You???

< MOD SNIP>

Rule #2

Ok in view of a GODWINS LAW infringement .Please replace all of the previous examples with the STAZI of the German Democratic Republic for the examples of intimidation,and deportment,arrest and imprisonment of "good citizens" who thought they had done "nothing wrong " under a Communist regime, which was just as bad as the overthrown Nazi regime..
    I don’t believe I’ll ever be the subject of a warrant as I don’t engage in criminal behaviour.

Well done you...
    Seriously! are you that naive that you can ab-sol-utely say that whatever you do in the future or posses now will never be construed as criminal /dissident behaviour or contraband?
    By anyone or govt in the future? Where people today are mob judging others for tweets written 10 years ago?Whats to say this entire board will be considered "dissident writing by animal abusers and gun fanatics"

We've already seen where some guy in the UK, while having beliefs and views on Nazism has been jailed because he had "nazi memobrillia" and some "banned books"[freely available on Amazon.co.uk and in your local bookshop]

Been a couple of cases of this happening where the British police thugs have arrested people for having under Sect 50 of the counter-terrorism act."literature or documentation likely to be of use to a terrorist group."
    IOW that means.If say they found a manual in your house on say operating a LAW rocket launcher[" and PA Lutys improvised machine pistol book and a copy of the Turner diaries[you are an author doing research on a post apocalyptic resistance movement run by a right extremist]
    You are NICKED Mate! Under that Sect 50 as you are obviously a Nazi[Turner diaries],manufacturing firearms[PALuty book] and training on how to use artillery[LAW manual]
    Still think you have done nothing wrong...baaa ,baaa,baaa?
    “Govt types” what does that even mean?
    Take a WAG...:)

• Advertisement

I’ve nothing to hide, don’t think it will affect many
    I have an uncle who decided to head to the pub one night for a jar, while there the pub was unusually quiet and he got chatting with a lad at the bar about racing and football and all that rubbish. Two mornings later at about 6 am his front door was taken off the hinges and a couple of car loads of branch men piled in, he was nicked in handcuffs etc and taken off to the station while the house was ransacked.

Turns out the guy, who he didn't know, was involved with a republican group, the chatting and passing the time of day was enough to get someone a warrant and his privacy invaded and him arrested.

This "It'll never happen to me" line is in the famous last words top ten.

Advertisement