Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to hear that V, at least you have a diagnosis and a recovery plan. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi V, I’m rarely on here these days but I heard that you and me are in the same boat! It seems I’ve done damage to my soleus muscle ... hard enough to diagnose but typically if it’s not healed then it goes again at some point when you try a run again. It happened to me back in 2018 just before Dublin too. I ended up having to take 2 weeks complete rest though I could swim throughout. No pools open now unfortunately so trying to walk and that’s now causing me trouble. Physio said I could try cycling on the flat very gently. Anyway, my advice would be give it plenty time to heal. It’s a hard one as if you are like me it feels perfect. Also the physio has me doing loads and loads of single leg bent knee heel lifts. I’ve to work up to 3x30 of them 5 times a day. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi V, I’m rarely on here these days but I heard that you and me are in the same boat! It seems I’ve done damage to my soleus muscle ... hard enough to diagnose but typically if it’s not healed then it goes again at some point when you try a run again. It happened to me back in 2018 just before Dublin too. I ended up having to take 2 weeks complete rest though I could swim throughout. No pools open now unfortunately so trying to walk and that’s now causing me trouble. Physio said I could try cycling on the flat very gently. Anyway, my advice would be give it plenty time to heal. It’s a hard one as if you are like me it feels perfect. Also the physio has me doing loads and loads of single leg bent knee heel lifts. I’ve to work up to 3x30 of them 5 times a day. Best of luck with it.

Hey, nice to hear from you! Hope all is well besides the injury :)
    Sounds like similar approaches from both our physios really. I'm going to do my best not to rush back, or do too much too soon. Good luck to you as well.

Not much to report in here except walking is getting pretty f**king boring. I'll end up on the bike yet.

I've been an absolute goody-two-shoes with the resting and rehab etc and STILL the progress is very, very slow... I thought it was much improved last week but then spent the weekend in a lot of pain again :rolleyes: I thought I had an idea of how slow a tear would be to repair but turns out I really had no idea. Sigh.

And yes, this is a self-indulgent woe-is-me post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ReeReeG wrote: »
    And yes, this is a self-indulgent woe-is-me post :)

Isn’t that Offaly GAA’s motto........

Sorry to hear your woes are still at you V.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    Isn’t that Offaly GAA’s motto........

Ha that's gonna change with our new sponsor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Sorry to see its not healing so quickly ReereeG. You're entitled to a wow is me post, it sounds very painful and annoying!

Funny how a total of 7.5 mins running can bump the spirits up :cool:
    15 mins, 30 seconds on and 30 off. Those 30 seconds running went by far too quickly but hey, I was so happy to be running :pac:

The main takeaway is there was no pain. Some tiredness in the calf by the end, so I definitely need to take this slowly, but I'll keep strengthening it also. Feeling hopeful, will try get a few more similar 'runs' in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Was delighted to see a return to running. Super. Keep it up, carefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Welcome back, at least you don't have tag to drag you back either!

• Advertisement

crisco10 wrote: »
    Welcome back, at least you don't have tag to drag you back either!

Ha, I was just thinking about tag while over in UCD yesterday :) and happy enough it's not a thing this summer again...

May 24-30th
    (This update is really just for me to keep a record of the rehab).

3 more short run-walk efforts this week.
    Tues, I pushed out to 45 second run intervals and for a max of 20 mins. The calf was a little tight after but some foam rolling and stretching soon helped.
    I kept with 45 seconds on Thursday just to be safe with the tightness and all good.
    Sunday I went to 1 min intervals and for just over 25 mins. Timed it badly in the local GAA down home with the Seniors arriving for early training while I'm doing my little run :rolleyes:

I've still been doing my usual 2 x 45 mins S&C sessions a week, but have incorporated plenty of single leg hops / weighted hops to strengthen the calf. If I do this right over the next few weeks, I should be getting back to more normal running in a month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Great to see you doing a little V. Hopefully the recovery continues to go well for you.

1st-8th June

More of the same, little bits of running with walk breaks. Have the running intervals up to 2 minutes and it's holding up really well. I even managed a couple of hilly walks over the weekend and I would even go far as to say the calf is feeling strong! The aim was to get up to a total of 40 minutes (incl the breaks) before I start doing a few km together, so that will hopefully be by next week. I'll listen to my body of course :)
    Fitness still feels like pure sh*te but it'll come back, not going to get too worried about that.

Did my usual S&C sessions, including the plyos, and some foam rolling, calf raises etc on other days.

Nothing very exciting here on the updates anyway, but I'm happy with the direction the recovery is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Recovery is slow, but progress is progress. Great to hear the strength is improving :) The fitness will come back, no doubt about it.

9th - 14th June

Weds 9th
    35 mins of 2 mins running, 30 seconds walking.
    Met a friend for a walk in Marlay that evening - forgot she's basically a speed walker and dragged me around for 4.5 miles!

Thurs 10th
    Can't remember if I even went for a walk, but the LEFT leg felt tight and I was thinking here we go... just did my usual stretching / strengthening and tried not to overthink it!

Fri 11th
    45 mins S&C, and a bit of attention on the left leg and it was feeling fine, but I said I'd play it safe and hold off on a run for another day. Was happy enough to watch the tennis anyway.

Sat 12th
    40 mins of 2 mins running, 30 seconds walking, but combined the 5/6th and 11/12th intervals to assure myself I can run more than 400m at a time. All good and not a peep out of the legs during or after the run.
    Also: C'mon the faithful. We're on the way back :D

Sun 13th
    Was barely even outside, let alone walking or running. Too much sport to be watching.

Mon 14th
    Decided to 'step it up' (with the promise to myself to listen to my body). 2km run, 1 min walk to check in, 3 reps. Felt great! Should probably dig out the HRM again to slow myself back to my actual easy run fitness level for the moment.

There's a chapter in the Daniels book on building back up your running after an injury, based on how long you were off etc so have been having a look at that. No rush anyway, but would like to get back to running sooner rather than later (normal being any sort of an unbroken easy run).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hang in there V, good to see the progress.

Tues 15th
    45 mins S&C. V short evening walk.

Weds 16th
    Did the 2km x 3 run again, with 1 min in between. All good again. Did it on the roads as I was completely sick of the fields in UCD.

Thurs 17th
    Long ramble with a friend around the locality.

Fri 18th
    45 mins S&C.
    Evening 3.4 miles with no breaks :) Went around the roads, felt lovely and unfit! Have to say though, there feels like more bounce off my legs per step thanks to the strength work.

Sat 19th
    45 mins S&C (I’m upping to 3 sessions per week for a while, for a multitude of reasons including vanity!)
    A trip to Croke Park in the evening was very exciting, the result no so much… half of me was even on the telly :pac:

Sun 20th
    Up to Marlay for 5km on the grass there. Saw plenty of familiar faces which was lovely. Wore the HRM which was disheartening! My legs are so much stronger than my lungs it seems. I’d expect the HR to be up a bit anyway for a couple of reasons but not as much as it was ..

Anywho, a huge 15 miles this week! On we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Tues 15th
    45 mins S&C. V short evening walk.

Weds 16th
    Did the 2km x 3 run again, with 1 min in between. All good again. Did it on the roads as I was completely sick of the fields in UCD.

Thurs 17th
    Long ramble with a friend around the locality.

Fri 18th
    45 mins S&C.
    Evening 3.4 miles with no breaks :) Went around the roads, felt lovely and unfit! Have to say though, there feels like more bounce off my legs per step thanks to the strength work.

Sat 19th
    45 mins S&C (I’m upping to 3 sessions per week for a while, for a multitude of reasons including vanity!)
    A trip to Croke Park in the evening was very exciting, the result no so much… half of me was even on the telly :pac:

Sun 20th
    Up to Marlay for 5km on the grass there. Saw plenty of familiar faces which was lovely. Wore the HRM which was disheartening! My legs are so much stronger than my lungs it seems. I’d expect the HR to be up a bit anyway for a couple of reasons but not as much as it was ..

Anywho, a huge 15 miles this week! On we go.

Saw you in Marlay, delighted to see you back and always welcome to join us on the Sunday

Mar Azul wrote: »
    Saw you in Marlay, delighted to see you back and always welcome to join us on the Sunday

Ah you have a new name here :) It will be a while before I can keep up with any of your crew :p

• Advertisement

Mon 21st
    Lunchtime 5km as I couldn't get out of the bed in the morning! Quiet enough paths for lunchtime. Poor discipline, 3.4 miles @ 9.01/m.

Tues 22nd
    45 mins S&C.
    Think I went for an evening stroll...

Weds 23rd
    Morning run, 3.4 miles @ 9.46/m. More sensible.

Thurs 24th
    Lazy day Rest day

Fri 25th
    45 mins S&C.
    Evening run, 4.1 miles @ 8.48/m.. ooops. I blame the runners, had the epic react shoes on and zoom zoom. My legs were bouncing along. Felt quite good tbh.

Sat 26th
    45 mins S&C.
    Evening walk.

Sun 27th
    Morning miles, 5.1 @ 9.20/m. Tried to concentrate on keeping it feeling easy. Some success, some failure! Enjoyable and good to get 5 miles done.

I've been reasonably good with foam rolling even if no tightness as a preventative measure, and some calf strength exercises outside of S&C sessions, in the hopes these good habits remain. I'm going to keep building up mileage slowly, I'm not in a rush. I'll be deferring DCM if that's an option!

Oh and women of A/R, I might be late to this one but M&S have sports bras that are VERY like the good shock absorber ones, and at a lower price. Seem good so far anyway.

I will join everyone in the thoughts of how much I don’t like this new version of boards. Whyyyyyyyyyy

Anyway, to running. Week of 28th June, I’d run twice but walking down the stairs I felt a sharp twinge through my right calf again. Great switch into drama queen mode, but foam rolled the hell out of it, continued with the exercises I’d been doing anyway and rested it for a walk. To be honest, it probably would have been fine after a couple of days, but I’d rather be overly cautious than plain stupid. So I ran on the 7th, all good, and again on the 10th. 5k both times. Still kept up with 3 S&C sessions.

W/b 12th July

12th - 5k @ 9.11/m

13th - 45 mins S&C

14th - Met a club mate early for a run around Marlay, and happy to get 4 miles done! Also talking slowed me down appropriately. 10.03/m

15th - Last day in my job, went for an evening run. 5k @ 9.27/m

16th - 45 mins S&C, before a trip south to see family.

17th - 40 mins S&C and my first jab, woohoo

18th - 3.4 miles @ 9.14/m. Rough!

I’ve a couple weeks free now before I start a new job after the bank holiday. Not going to stress myself over getting runs or S&C in, but if i’m not at anything particular on some days I’ll try get them in. Have some more family and friend visits planned so I’ll be on the road a bit. Nice weather to have free time in however 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Another new job! Congrats.

I feel like I’m not doing enough running to log on here really! Not sure my log title is even appropriate at this rate :p I’ll get back into a proper routine in the next few weeks hopefully. The calf is feeling fine, so it should be ok to get stuck into more miles. Haven’t run any longer than 5 miles in quite a while so getting back to long runs will be fun…

I might dig out the old boards base building plan (if I can find anything on here anymore!) and actually start using my HRM again because I have been totally useless at running at an appropriate pace. Still getting some S&C in, and focusing on the left leg. It’s really noticeable that there’s still less of a spring on that side when I’m doing single leg hops, even though it was the right calf that was hurt. Single leg squats are getting stronger anyway so we’ll get there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thought you were talking about boards.ie technical construction plans...

Thank you, so helpful as always!!

Hope your running is going well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Doesn't seem like a bad time to have some low mileage V, still very few races and a lot of uncertainty around the ones that are still in the calendar 😏 You'll come back stronger with all the strength you're doing. Glad to hear the calf is good. Best of luck with the new job, hope it goes well for you.

Hard to know if I’ve been slack with the updates cos of the new site or cos I’m doing feck all running!

Life has been very busy lately so was just throwing in the odd run when I had time / the want to run. I don’t know how I used to commute 5 days a week, and fit in everything else I wanted to; after 2 days of it last week I was so exhausted!!! And its not even a 20 minute drive

28th July - 5 miles @ 9.25/m. Felt tough but nice to get up to Marlay

29th July - 45 mins S&C

30th July - was down in Offaly, 4 miles around the gaa field, 9.31/m. Threw in some strides at the end and the calf didn’t make a sound.

31st July - met a couple of friends for a jaunt around the canal harbour. 3.4 miles @ 9.45/m

2nd Aug - 3.1m @ 9.07/m.

4th Aug - 4m @ 9.35/m. Definitely not a pace that feels easy easy yet.

5th Aug - 45 mins S&C

6th Aug - 45 mins S&C. 4m @ 9.17/m. Went for the run after my 2nd jab before the tiredness everyone warned me against set in, but I actually felt great? Haven’t run since due to tiredness but that’s more likely the social life than the jab! Add in some car troubles and neighbour issues and it’s been great fun really :p

I’ll build up a bit more mileage the next month and then start the base plan. I’ve said it here now so I have to follow through!

The mileage building is going nowhere but thankfully not due to injury, just me deciding to do a million ‘life’ things at once! Don’t mind putting running on the back burner for the next couple of weeks still and getting out when I can. Going to continue the S&C properly as I can really feel it doing good things when I am getting out.

In the meantime, UIBH FHAILI ABU!!! :D Was a great day in Croke Park and the chills listening to the crowd chanting, ohmigod. Got my money’s worth with the women’s semi final going to extra time too (not that many stuck around for them :-/ .. and they even closed the tea facilities during it!! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Glad you enjoyed Croker V. I enjoyed both of those matches too - total contrast to being stressed to bits the night before. There could be a few decent players in the senior ranks for Offaly down the line. Real old school way of playing about that team - great to watch, except when Dublin were on the receiving end 😐️

Advertisement