Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done on the 2 races V, especially the 2nd one being xc, (after my 1st I think I'm now hooked haha). All this racing will defo stand to you, it's a completely different effort than everyday training!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah I think you went to a higher calibre xc race than I've been doing lately! My only way of enjoying them is with the more relaxed environment 😅 and my main goal with them is to get stronger, more mentally than physically 🤷🏻‍♀️

Well done on your 2nd place btw, class!! What a debut 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thanks a mill V, nah racing is racing in my eyes, and what you get from them is so personal & so important. I've honestly never felt so relaxed in a race like I did in the xc, I would love to build strength from it & let it compliment my road races also.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice racing on two fronts, quite a week there, well done! (And the brother too.)

19th - 25th Feb

Mon 19th - S&C with the club. Not fully convinced on the method proposed for the front squats which has bruised my arms but we'll see..! Legs were achy for 2 days after with all the squats.

Tues 20th - Club session. As usual, you're never quite sure what you're signing up to on Tuesday nights. This session became 3 x 3k, but with the first 1500 of each rep at steady pace, then different surges on the second 1500 of each rep (1 min hard/easy, next lap 2 mins hard/1 easy, last lap 3 mins hard / 1 easy).. and 90s recovery or so between reps. My steady 1500s were 7.39, 7.35 and 7.50 (oof). Hard to gauge the surges but I was happy I was able to push on especially for the 3 mins sections. 7.5 miles for the evening incl warm up and cool down.

Weds 21st - Rest

Thurs 22nd - Easy run to work. So much brighter now! 5.3m at 9.46/m average.

Fri 23rd - With a busy weekend planned, I moved forward my session and long run. So, lunchtime session on Friday. I've gotten very used to doing speedwork in big groups, so this felt extra tough! Easy mile down to the park, and into the 3 x 1k off 90s. Supposed to be at 5k pace so I tried to match the pace I'd run in Gorey. I was delighted with my consistency as the 1ks came in at 4.45, 4.46 and 4.46. Jogged the first 2 recoveries but rested after the 3rd and before the next part of the session which was 6 x 400 off 60s supposedly at 3k pace. I say supposedly as I definitely went too hard, not a hope I could maintain the pace for 3k. Did these up and back near the football pitches as its relatively flat and quiet enough with walkers. 400s times: 1.46, 1.42, 1.42, 1.42, 1.43, 1.41. Really happy with those. Cool down home but with the drag over the M50 I don't think much cooling down was done! 6.3 miles for the day.

Sat 24th - Up and out for at least 80 minutes I told myself - managed to get in the 90 minutes. Had noticed recently there is a path all the way to where the Golden Ball used to be, so headed out that way and over to Carrickmines and back towards home along the Luas. Nice bit of countryside in the route which I enjoyed. 9 miles , avg pace 9.53/m. Sensible and needed.

• Advertisement

26th Feb - 3rd March

Mon 26th - Didn't make it to strength class, was in a foul mood after work so couch for the evening.

Tues 27th - Club session. Warm-up as usual, then around towards the back of UCD for a loop of approx 2k - first section at MP (maybe 1400m), next at HMP (approx 500m) and last bit at 10k (400m or so). 4 reps, but I didn't lap the first one but seemed to be consistent enough, targeting 9min/mile for MP, 8.30 for HMP and 8ish for 10k. With cool down, 7.5 miles for the evening.

Weds 28th - Rest

Thurs 29th - Run to the office, 5.3m at 9.39/m.

Fri 1st - Rest

Sat 2nd - Early flight to Glasgow, and got in an afternoon run before the Athletics that evening. 8.1m at 9.18/m. Not the most scenic city but enjoyable run. The session that night was epic, highlights being Bol's WR of course and Kerr winning the 3000.

Sun 3rd - Got in a short run after the morning session, 4.3 miles at 9.12/m. Again, another fabulous evening at the athletics - the Irish girls did us all proud. Love Duplantis trying to get the WR at these events, absolute showman. The 800s and 1500s were so exciting, added bonus of sitting beside a NZ man for the 1500 who absolutely lost his sh*t !!

4th - 10th March

Mon 4th - Travelled back from Glasgow, quick turnaround at the airport car park and back on another flight...

Tues 5th - Nothing, no time.

Weds 6th - Got out after the conference for a run, forced encouraged a colleague to join me. 5m at 9.03/m. Turns out he hated every step 😅

Thurs 7th - Rest.

Fri 8th - Travelled back. Considered getting myself out for a short run but my body insisted on napping instead!

Sat 9th - Went to club session, probably not wise. Felt very sluggish and low on energy. Again, randomly chosen rep distance of maybe 1km, supposed to be about 10km pace but I had no go in me. Put some effort in anyway, and just about managed 4 reps and the cool down. About 5 miles for the morning.

Sun 10th - Knew I'd be better off doing the long run solo, if I wasn't feeling amazing and could dictate my own pace better. 10 miles at 9.40/m ish pace, but the last mile was miserable enough. Definitely still feeling a little lacking in energy but great to get it done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I got tired reading that V, all the travelling, you did well to fit so much running in! I'm well jealous of the Glasgow trip, must be an amazing atmosphere in an indoor stadium and by all accounts the Irish were well represented.

Have you any goal at the moment?

I do and I don't.. goal to just try keep consistent and do plenty of racing, but finding it hard to set on any target times for said races! I've a 5k on Paddy's Day, should be a fairer course than the one a few weeks back so might get a nice idea of where I'm at pace-wise. Then two HMs in April / May.. Would like to break 1.50 again which has proved hard to achieve the last couple of years, but not sure if that's realistic. Definitely need to get more mileage in to feel confident tackling that, but it's hard enough to find the time / energy (and I realise I say this as someone without kids to someone who is also managing all that!!)

Sometimes it's nice to have loose goals! Hopefully the 5k will set you up with a target for the 1st of the HMs. Good luck with it!

and I realise I say this as someone without kids to someone who is also managing all that!!

Haha or not managing it as the case may be for me lately... We all have a whole variety of things that we have to fit in and I guess it's down to how we manage & prioritise. For me over the past 12 months it's been work that's been the main problem. Kids are getting a little bit older and I can even leave them home alone for short periods 🎉 but this has coincided with work getting busier (more responsibility, more challenging etc... ). The thing with kids getting a bit bigger also means I can sit at home in peace with a book (my first love 😄) so that's a temptation on a dark Winter's evening that I didn't have when they were small(er) and I had to run out the door to get a break from them 😉

Yeah fair enough. The weather and the running conditions have a big bearing for motivation, especially if you're often on country roads like you are! I hear you on the books - the plus side of the extra travelling I've been doing!

• Advertisement

11th - 17th March

Mon 11th - nothing, had won tickets to a gig so went to that.

Tues 12th - got bloods taken in the AM, as I felt energy has been off a good while. Headed to the club session that night and it went truly awful. Usual warm-up, then into reps of approx 1200 at 10k pace - I could barely hold 9 min mile and HR was up to 180s according to my watch. Did 4 reps, was supposed to be 5 but I was flogging myself. Started to reconsider the 5k.. short cool down for just over 5 miles for the night.

Weds 13th - Nothing

Thurs 14th - Run to work. Energy still a little off but went ok. 5.4 miles at 9.46/m.

Fri 15th - Nothing

Sat 16th - With not being sure of the 5k on Sunday, I decided to get a reasonable amount of easy miles in anyway and jogged down to the park for parkrun. Met a clubmate at the top of the hill so ran the rest with her and chatting away. Parkrun just under the 30 mins so not too mad. Ran home as well, 6.4 miles total.

Sun 17th - Picked up the race number the day before and told myself sure its only 5k. Had slept well the night before, and headed over to Tallaght in good time. Met the rest of the club and quickly realised I was going to be slowest of the lot :D We have a lot of speedsters now. Short warm-up and a drills on the track, before we headed around to the start area where I saw @Laineyfrecks , @Lazare and met @MiniMonstera .

I didn't want to line up too far forward or I'd be holding people up behind me, so I let the rest of the club move on and just slotted in maybe 20 seconds from the start line as it turned out. Definitely a nice fast start and had to make sure I wasn't going too hard. To be honest, I quickly realised my legs were actually awake today (plus I was in the Puma Deviates) so I was keen to push a bit. I have no real clue of the roads around here so wasn't sure where any ups or downs might be, so just kept the effort decent and tried not to get isolated. I was getting passed a bit at first but then was mostly gaining on people. First mile came in at 7.23 which was definitely hotter than my hoped for 7.30ish but I felt ok.

Started to feel it a bit on down the road, but reminded myself a 5k run properly means you will be working hard by halfway already. Noticed my pace was slipping a little so upped the effort a bit to keep myself going at halfway, because I know if I can hit halfway still pushing then I'm more likely to keep it going to the end. Don't remember many particulars of mile 2 apart from keeping a clubmate who was clearly struggling in sight... 7.24, delighted with my consistency.

We had discussed the overall elevation of the course and it seemed reasonable for a 5k.. until the 4th kilometre (yes I'm switching between imperial and metric) and that long drag was utter misery. The pace was dropping, but I desperately tried to keep the effort going. Felt slightly light-headed at times but ignored it, and prayed for the hill to end. When I recognised the start area, I got a bit excited that I must be near the finish forgetting we had walked from the stadium up the road a bit. Anyway, breathing hard I kept pushing knowing I should definitely get in under 24. Mile 3 was 7.44. Passed a few coming into the stadium and then onto the track. I was hoping my pace had actually picked up as I was fighting here, and it did a bit alright, but kept going to the line anyway. 23.38 chip. I probably lost too much on mile 3, 20 seconds is a lot. Overall, pleased with the race. My headspace was very good, and my legs / energy were a lot better than expected.

Got my bloods back and all normal apparently so that rules out iron / B12 etc.. not sure what to make of it cos I just know when things don't feel 100%. Will continue to monitor with my cycle etc. and go from there.

18th - 24th March

Mon 18th - I couldn't tell you the last time I ran on a Monday, but with it being a bank holiday, and no long run done the previous day, I decided to get out for a run after a lazy morning. Ran down to the park which was good and busy with families etc, took it handy. 6.4 miles at 9.42/m avg. Did the club strength session then in the evening.

Tues 19th - Anyone who had raced at the weekend was advised to skip the session and just run easy, which I gladly stuck to. I kept to a local route, enjoying the fact it was still pretty bright out, at least at the start of my run anyway. 5m at 9.53/m avg.

Weds 20th - Rest

Thurs 21st - The runmute. I had been looking up how to extend this to 6 miles, which I don't think I did well as I ended up running up and back the dodder near the office hoping no colleagues were around! Have another idea for this week to hit it a little more smoothly. 6.1m at 9.36/m avg.

Fri 22nd - Rest, and stalking twitter for Barkley updates. Can't lie, I got emotional when Jasmin Paris made it. I really hope someone has enough clips for a YouTube documentary on this year's event.

Sat 23rd - TBO had let me know he was going to be at Marlay parkrun this weekend, so I headed there. It was a way colder morning than I was expecting so did another bit of a warm up with him after my jog down to keep warm! Nice jaunt around the route and plenty of chats, around 28 mins something. Jogged home right away then with the cold. Turns out about 7.6 miles for the morning which probably explains some extra tiredness on my long run.

Sun 24th - Failed to get out in the morning as I was absolutely glued to my book (Kala by Colin Walsh, if anyone cares), so it was lunchtime by the time I got myself in gear. Did the same route out to Kilternan as I had done a few weeks back, but added a bit to hit 10 miles. I was definitely not hydrated enough and in fact had to stop to buy weather in Sandyford industrial estate. I was cursing myself as to why it felt a struggle to finish, but this was my highest mileage week in a long time so I need to cop on a bit. Got it done sure. 10m at 10.03/m avg.

Pleased with that week, no reason to not do more of the same this week.

25th - 31st March

Mon 25th - Club strength session. Weights reducing as we get closer to HMs.

Tues 26th - Club session. Good numbers as there often are most weeks. Usual warm-up, and only strides rather than drills with it being a longer session. 2 x 1 mile first around the usual loop, with maybe 150-200m jog recovery. HM pace (aimed for 8.30 ish, came in at 8.28 and 8.26). Then into a longer loop, also at HM pace, which had drags up the marathon route and downhill back into UCD.. just over 2 miles and these came in at 8.22 and 8.23. 2 mins recovery and back into the 2 x 1 mile (8.18 and 8.08). Safe to say I’m not sure what my HM pace will be in a few weeks! Short cool down for 8 miles for the night.

Weds 27th - Rest

Thurs 28th - Ran into the office, extended the route better this time. 6.3 miles at 9.47/m avg.

Fri 29th - Was working, but it was quiet thankfully and I could knock off early. Headed out for very easy miles in the park, keeping the effort low. Went over on my ankle a little in the forest and didn’t think much of it, though it started a train of thought on trail shoes vs regular runners. 4 miles at 10.36/m avg.

Sat 30th - Club session at the track. Left ankle was feeling funny in the warm-up and drills, but decided to ignore it and see how it went. Session was 6-8 km reps at 10k pace, off 90s. It was only on the 4th rep as my ankle was really annoying me that I remembered the day before, and realised all the left turning wasn’t helping much. Continued to ignore :) and got 7 reps done [5.01, 5.00, 4.56, 4.58, 4.57, 4.58, 4.58]. Felt reasonably good despite the ankle. Cool down brought it to 6.5 miles for the morning. Ankle continued to annoy me for the rest of the day which was a little worrying but was helping a friend pack up her house so I wasn’t resting much.

Sun 31st - I decided to stick with the park for the start of my long run at least in case I needed to cut it short. My ankle was better but could still feel it for the first few miles - and then it just improved loads with each mile until it was completely fine. Who needs physio lads?! Cure the ailments with a 2 hour run :D Avoided the trails in the park to be safe, and headed over to Endas for a lap before heading home the long way. Took one gel about an hour in, and stopped for a sip of water in the park at the same time. Felt heaps better on this run than last week but it makes such a difference getting out first thing vs afternoon. 12.2 miles at 10.04/m avg.

Another good week, lets try make it a hat trick.

1st - 7th Apr

Mon 1st - Club strength class in the evening, after a morning hanging out with my 2 year old nephew.

Tues 2nd - Club session. As the coaches were away, we actually did the prescribed session to the letter! You'd think it would be the other way around. Warm-up and drills, then into 2 lots of 15 mins at tempo pace with 2 min recovery. I was running with two others and we kept it pretty honest. The route wasn't completely flat so the pace was up and down but main thing is the effort being kept up. Both lots came in approx 8.25/m pace. Then one lap of 1500 at 5k pace - I went into it a little hard and then tried to keep it going, was breathing hard. 7.12 for the 1500 so 7.35/m avg pace. Short cool down for 6.5 miles for the evening.

Weds 3rd - Rest

Thurs 4th - Runmute, again extended so 6.3 miles at 9.48/m avg. Wore the Puma Deviate Nitro to see how they feel for a longer run and if I could wear them for the HMs. I don't want a repeat of Madrid and the burning feet. I'm still not sure. Might try next Sunday on the shorter long run.

Fri 5th - Had intended to get out for a short run at lunch, but never managed it. I didn't bother with an evening one knowing I was going to do the long run the next morning.

Sat 6th - To get ahead of a couple drinks Sat night and having the event at the club to help with on Sunday morning, I made sure I was out in good time Sat morning for my 2 hour run. The wind was fairly miserable, and at times my pace was depressingly slow. I ran down to the park and did a bit around there, including the more sheltered trails, then into Endas for a short bit and back up towards the club campus. Naturally this uphill was into the wind also so I felt like I was barely moving! I could see the club session was still on and they all looked equally miserable which helped me finish out the 2 hours on the trails tbh. 11.7 miles at 10.19/m avg. Job done sure. I also had no gels (have some ordered) so I doubt that helped either, as well as no brekkie now that I think of it.

Sun 7th - We were hosting the last day of the M&T XC League, which wasn't a race, just the prizegiving and a social jog beforehand. Great chance to show off our lovely trails and track, which we did. The sun kindly made an appearance although the wind hung around as well. Anyway, top morning, the club showed up well with cakes and tea etc and I think all our visiting clubs enjoyed the morning! One of our women was the individual overall winner but no team prizes - maybe next year! Only got about 2.5 miles done and v slowly, but thats probably a very sensible recovery run in fairness.

Lower mileage week than the previous two, but all in all, I'm fairly happy with it. Less than 2 weeks now to Ibiza half, so training will ease off a little by next weekend? I've a short bit of work travel this week but it shouldn't be too disruptive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nice week. You looked thoroughly comfortable when we crossed paths on Sat morning. You were right to ignore our pleas for you to come up to track with us where the just about manageable 400m track reps turned into 3k trail reps(with a hangover - eeek).  You could imagine my gloom.  Also, I see you are selling yourself short. Congrats on a really well organised gathering on Sunday morn!

Ha yeah I couldn't actually hear exactly what ye were saying over my music but I knew even jogging with the two of you to the gates would have killed me 😆 It was obvious himself was back when I saw you weren't on the track then! You missed some delicious treats on Sunday - we were saying we should just do that on random Sundays in summer, that outdoor yet roofed area is great now!

8th - 14th Apr

Mon 8th - Club S&C. No pushing with weights as we get closer to the HM. Always a good laugh at these classes as well.

Tues 9th - Couldn't make the club session with work travel that evening, so got out on my own in the morning. Session was 6 x 4 mins tempo, off 1 minute recovery. Quite enjoyed this on a nice morning in the park, reps were all very consistent apart from the last I ran too fast but I was feeling pretty good. With the w/up and c/down to and from the park, it was just under 6 miles for the morning.

Weds 10th - Had the chance to get a few miles in around Warsaw so took it. Found a park to do a bit in rather than all streets, and had to run back up a lot of steps! I think I'd take a slope any day over steps. 3.5 miles at 9.34/m avg.

Thurs 11th - No running. Home later than expected between missed connections and M50 traffic.

Fri 12th - Seemed to have picked up a touch of a headcold, so I decided to hold off running until the Sat morning session. Did get out for a nice evening walk for about an hour however.

Sat 13th - Session was changed late Fri night to 10 x 800s at 10k pace on the club trails. I didn't pay much notice to feeling rubbish in the warm-up as that's often the way, but after the 1st 2 reps and I was still feeling shocking (working too hard for pace) I pulled back a bit and focused on effort, and also cut the session to 8 reps. I think it was a perfect storm of the bit of the head cold and cramps tbh. But that should all be cleared by the HM next week so that's good! The reps were a bit all over the place pace-wise but happy I got it done effort-wise. 6 miles ish for the morning.

Spent the rest of the day either helping weed some of the club grounds, and then putting together a table and chairs. I slept well that night, but wow nothing makes you feel old like bending so much, my poor back.

Sun 14th - I just wanted to get about 70 mins in for my longer run this week, job done. Stopped for maybe 5 mins in the middle chatting to an old neighbour, park was lovely and busy on a sunny Sunday morning. 7.1 miles at 9.47/m avg.

Won't be too many miles this week before Saturday's HM. I am still unsure what runners to wear.. think I will try the Puma Deviates again this Tues for the session and make a call then.

Where's the half V? Best of luck!

Ibiza 🙊 it's a hard life...oh and it's mostly downhill 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ah jaysus, and here was me thinking you'd be schlepping it down to Wexford! Best of luck and enjoy the trip 😀

• Advertisement

Gosh it certainly is a hard life, have a great time 😄

15th - 21st April

Mon 15th - Club strength. Mostly bodyweight stuff with the race at the weekend.

Tues 16th - I couldn't make it along to the club session again, so did it solo in the park again (well I had brief company from my friend for bits of the reps). 3 x 1500m, off 2 mins, at HMP. I wore the Puma Deviates again as I was still so undecided about wearing them. I didn't like them for the warm-up / cool down, but the HMP bits they felt great. 1500s came in at 7.42 (time not pace), 7.36 and 7.31. 6.4 miles for the day.

Weds 17th - Rest. Could feel the same 'awareness' of my left achilles and ankle as I had before, presumed from wearing the Pumas.

Thurs 18th - Easy 40 mins with strides. 4.1 miles at 9.37/m.

Fri 19th - Travel day! Flight was at a reasonable time so not too early a morning, lots of giddiness from the group of 30 or so.. collected our numbers in the afternoon and then tried to avoid boozing much!

Sat 20th - It was an evening race so no need to be up early again. There are worse ways to wait out an evening race than sitting on the beach awhile. The only struggle was when / what to eat but think we managed that pretty well.

It was a point to point race, so we were bussed to the top of the course - and by top of the course I mean well up some hills. Warm-up and drills - I had only packed the Pumas due to travelling super light, and immediately aware of the left achilles but put it out of my mind as I was just moving slowly.

Around to the start line and tried not to start too far back as we knew the early parts were narrow and potentially very congested. Turns out there was probably no avoiding that. It was so hard to get a rhythm going in so many parts with the extreme downhills and number of people, all going different paces so you either get caught behind or caught up in a pace you don't particularly enjoy! My legs were taking a battering generally from the downhill but there was one particular section about 4 miles in which was extremely steep, while twisting in different directions, and I hadn't wanted to brake and it was a little unnerving! I actually found myself praying for flat when running downhill.. never had that before.

Soon after we were into a steep uphill and I knew I would be quicker walking it. I think this is when the pain in my … ok where did the pain start? Probably ankle / heel - I was aware of so many pains running then by mile 7.5 I started a run .6/.7 mile walk .1 mile approach.. toes, heel, ankle, calf, hamstring, hip.. all left leg pure agony! 100% the shoes to blame. There was a time limit on the course of 2.5 hours and a sweeper bus so my goal was to finish and not get caught by the damn bus. Got to the finish and probably ran most of the last mile anyway.. 2.05 finish so not near the bus in fairness! I couldn't wait to take my runners off but struggled to put pressure on the left foot, the bottom was so tender.

As it turns out I was one of about 5 in the group who hobbled home, everyone complaining about the downhill battering their legs. And we all thinking it would be easy! Heatwise I found it fine with the evening start, plenty of water stations (although they were quite slow getting the water out) and there was a breeze in parts. Overall a great weekend, lots of laughs and lots of irresponsible rehydration after the race!

Sun 21st - Legs were still quite sore. Walking was rough but we didn't go too far on foot and only at snails pace anyway.

I'd booked physio for when I'd be home so went to them yesterday morning. I was a little worried about more permanent damage but while my left leg is very tight and my ankle is noticeably weaker than the right, I should be ok for Limerick HM next week - provided I rest this week and do a few little exercises. I know what runners I won't be wearing there anyway.

Advertisement