Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man! I feel like a runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Most 'tempo' sessions are just below lactate threshold. Around 80% of your HRR. Definitely not chatty pace! I'd say yours is well under eight minutes, although easy does it is best coming back from your bout with then plague. Coaching setup sounds great. Would you not ask for pace guidance? Good work going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Yeah I absolutely could have asked for pace guidance, in fact it was probably given, but I was afraid of the answer a little bit 😂 myself and my clubmate have vowed to push ourselves and each other next week anyway 😃

Mon 24th Jan - Rest.

Tues 25th - Morning Strength class, 40 mins.

Evening session with the club. 1 mile warm-up and the now usual extensive drills. The plan for the session had been 4 x 4mins @ 5k pace (well part 1 of the session), but due to the size of the group and a busy UCD a point to point rep was chosen, which came in at about 1200m. I had been determined to properly push myself this week, and my current 5k pace has been 7.45/m so that was the goal. The reps came in at 7.43, 7.51, 7.52 and 7.51. The 3rd rep I tried to go by feel and was feeling great about 1 min in, looked at my watch and it was at 8.08 pace… no wonder! Tried to claw it back then. Good honest effort for the most part though. Recoveries were a walk/jog to the start point again which was about 2 mins or so. Part 2 of the session was 4 x 75 seconds hard, didn’t think I’d manage them but again the benefits of a large group was apparent. I fell in with a few to get them done with minimal complaining! 6.44, 6.49, 6.48 and 6.49 were the average paces. Mile or so cool down and 6.8 miles for the evening.

Weds 26th - Met crisco and his little girl for a lunch run. Great to see him back running 😁 even if he was dragging me along! Lovely run. 3.4 miles @ 8.45/m avg.

Thurs 27th - Easy evening miles with the club. We split into two groups right from the start so we (the slower group) wouldn’t be tempted into keeping up with the speedys! 6.3 miles @ 9.51/m. Took me a good two miles to loosen out though.

Fri 28th - Morning S&C, 40 mins. Welcome restful evening.

Sat 29th - Club speed session. 1 mile warm-up around St Enda’s, drills, then into the spikes for the last two sets of strides. On paper, the session hadn’t looked so bad. The reality was far, far worse 😆. The instructions were to run hard and don’t hold back. 4 x 1 min, 4 x 45s, 4 x 30s and 4 x 15s, all off 1 min recovery.

As usual, I took off like a rocket in the first rep so calmed myself a little for the next 3. BY the time the 30s and 15s reps came along though, I made sure to use the people ahead to drag me along. Not sure how accurate any of the paces are on a short distance, but the 1 mins were between 5.47 and 6.17 (spot the eager one), 45s were 5.43 - 6.00 , 30s were 5.14 - 5.30 and 15s were 4.41 - 5.30 (definitely not accurate). I should point out every uneven numbered rep involved a drag and the even ones had a nice decline. A mile cool down back in the runners.

Great session, and I have to say it’s closest to simulating how I’ve felt during a mile TT, which is convenient since we have the club mile TT in Greystones next Saturday.

Sun 30th - Early long run up the hills again, this time pushing past Massy’s to the Hellfire Club. Lovely morning for it, was nippy when we set out but we soon warmed up! Gentle pace on the way up which was perfect, and minimal walk breaks (though the Hellfire part was definitely tough). We had thought the route would be 10 miles but came in at 11 miles so a nice bonus mile there! I felt really strong I have to say.

31.8 miles for the week. First time past 30 in waaaaay too long!

So the mile TT is next Saturday. I won’t be near my PB, so originally I was thinking I wouldn’t bother, with it but I am swallowing my pride and I am just gonna run it, and run it hard! No one besides myself will care what I run. At least I’ll know where I’m at, and an indicator of appropriate training paces for the next little while. I’d like to think I can scrape under 7 mins still… I shall try anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Fair play V, that's a nice week and a good positive month to kick off the year too. I like the decision to give the TT a rattle as well - best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yeh agree with above, good week and great start to year.. Almost glad I missed that sprint session on sat 🤪

• Advertisement

Haha it was a good one! I'd forgotten you were running Raheny, I was over cheering on the siblings but never saw a bit of you. Shame about the distance mix-up.

Nice going indeed. Good luck with the time trial, start strong, dig in and hang on!

Mon 31st January - Rest

Tues 1st Feb - Strength class in the morning, 40 mins.

Evening club session. Ooof this was tough! Weather was fairly miserable for a start, but knowing there were hills involved I’d had myself psyched up beforehand! 2 mile warm-up (9.35.m). Session was 1,2,3,2,1 laps of an approx 1100m loop. The first 700m-ish of the loop was uphill and then obviously the nice downhill round to the start. Recovery was about 90 seconds. I probably didn’t pace it very well as I found the last couple of laps really hard, but was delighted to get the session done and I felt quite strong. Certainly heaps better than the last time we did that lap.

1 lap - 7.32 avg pace

2 laps - 1 mile in 7.50, remainder of lap at 7.35 avg

3 laps - 1 mile in 7.58, 0.92 mile at 7.47 avg

2 laps - 1 mile in 7.54, remainder at 7.47 avg

1 lap - 8.12 pace (I had actually thought I’d slowed up way more so wasn’t totally unhappy with this lap)

Cool down back to the car and 9 miles for the evening.

Weds 2nd - Nothing. I skipped a lunch run due to still feeling very tired from the session.

Thurs 3rd - was in the office and stupid traffic meant I was too late to make it to training with the club, so headed out on my own. 4.1 miles at 9.49/m avg. Sluggish enough.

Fri 4th - S&C, 40 mins.

Headed out for a lunch run to make sure mileage wouldn’t be too low for the week. 3.1 miles at 9.21/m. Less sluggish.

Sat 5th - Club mile time trial. Made it out to Greystones in good time (some amount of building has happened since the last time I was there). Very windy, but only seemed to hit one corner of the track really. Easy mile warm up and a few drills, felt a bit sluggish. I had put 6.55 as a target, but wasn’t too sure if I’d hit it. Thankfully my group were the first to go (I hate watching the others pain and knowing my turn is to come!), and settled into a nice rhythm. Could tell a few had taken off a bit too hot and passed them by the middle of the 2nd lap. I was telling myself I’d be hitting the horrible 3rd lap but when I was in it I felt fine, and realised the people I had kept behind had slowed and I had just accepted it so picked it back and hit the last lap better. Felt strong at the finish pushing down the straight and came in at 6.56 (my watch had 6.55 but the timekeeper had 6.56 oh well). I felt grand after, and no coughing so I do think I could have given a wee bit more, but overall I’m quite happy with it. Figure I had judged where I’m at quite accurately. There was a nice calm about me for it knowing I’m not in PB shape so I had nothing to lose. I also really enjoy the mile on the track I have to say. Anyway, happy with the progress this year so far. No cool down cos 1. We were all a bit lazy and 2. I had to rush off to take charge of my nephew and niece while their parents went to Croke Park for the hurling. Walked the legs off the poor craturs that afternoon in the park 😀

Sun 6th - Early again for another jaunt up to Massy’s and Hellfire club. I had originally thought I won’t do hills again after Tuesday night, but I won’t be around the next two weekends so best to get them in while I can. I then thought with the wind we’ll only go to Massy’s but then I didn’t want to skimp on miles so up we went with only minimal whinging from yours truly 😆 Funny enough I didn’t need any walk breaks this week. Great to get it done. 10.6 miles for the morning at 10.47/m avg .

29 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Well done on the mile time trial. Love to see them 😉

Not the most solid week last week..

Mon 7th - Got out for a short run knowing my week would be a bit more 'social' than usual. 3.4 miles at 10.36/m average. Wore the HRM to keep myself sensible.

Tues 8th - Morning strength class, 40 mins. No evening run, was out for dinner (and wine) 😊

Weds 9th - Thankfully drank plenty of water Tues evening / night so no hangover! Got out for the missed session that evening instead, thought it would be tough solo but the main concern ended up being my back. My breath was catching with a pain in my upper back, so I had to keep my breathing shallow enough but seemed to get by ok. Session was 10 x 3 mins at 10k pace, off 1 min. I jogged down to a housing estate loop after some Google maps investigation, and it went pretty well. It all felt very controlled. Planned pace was 7.50ish/m and the reps came in at: 7.54, 7.33, 7.48, 7.44, 7.46, 7.45, 7.49, 7.38, 7.40 and 7.38. So a little fast but never felt like I was overreaching. Took a moment at the end to contemplate my route home and suddenly saw Wottle out coaching some of his crew 🙂

7 miles for the evening.

Thurs 10th - cancelled a planned S&C session with my back still being sore just to be safe. Went along to club training that evening, easy 5 miles but included 8 x 15 second pickups. Nice run. 9.45/m average pace. Back was feeling way better, but my body seems to be crocked this week as I went over on my ankle a bit at one point in the run. Has happened before but never any lasting pain, until Thursday night, my ankle was super sore! So annoying.

Fri 11th - Had been contemplating an early run due but I was limping a little with my ankle so that ended that. Flew to London that evening and the walking around the airports etc seemed to ease the ankle.. or maybe the gin did?

Sat 12th - I was staying with my very patient friend who had no problem with me heading off to a parkrun while she could still have her Sat morning lie-on! 2 miles over to the park near Lewisham, very uphill journey to there ! The parkrun was called Hilly Fields.. and I thought well I have a lot of the hills done on my way up surely. Big crowds, I listened to the first-timers briefing and then suddenly we were off. I was planning to just run kind of steady pace around the 3 lap course. We had started downhill and then came back around a couple of long drag areas and I was thinking oh this isn't too hilly at all. Suddenly we turned and I could see people heading up a realllllllllllly steep hill - Oh no. I asked the woman next to me how many times we do that hill and she said 3! It was horrendous. Got lapped on my 2nd time up that hill by the leaders who were about to finish the parkrun in about mins. Ridiculous pace around that course. I kept it just a little harder than easy I suppose (and considering the gin) to finish in just under 27 mins. At least the 2 miles home were downhill! Lots of walking in the afternoon (along the Thames from Greenwich to London Bridge) so I was happy to sit for the evening with a few drinks!

Sun 13th - Just a walk around Greenwich park and a couple of the museums, before heading to the airport.

Only 22 miles for the week. Possibly no long run next weekend either if I do a xc race with the club. At the moment, there doesn't seem to be much of a women's team so won't bother if not. Will need to knuckle down then for March before Berlin half at the start of April 😬

• Advertisement

Mon 14th - Nothing

Tues 15th - Morning strength class, 40 mins.

Evening club session in UCD. 1ish mile w/up, then into 3 x 10 mins, off 2 mins. The 10 mins were prescribed at 10k pace. Thought I had gone a bit too hot in the previous week’s session, so started out with a few people doing 8.15 pace to see how that felt. It felt fine, so I upped a little for the next 10 mins (8.09/m pace) and then got into a new group for the last rep, 7.59/m pace. We did drills at the end for some reason, certainly tougher to keep balance when tired! And a short cool down back to our cars. 6.1 miles for the evening.

Weds 16th - easy evening run. 4 miles at 10.03/m avg.

Thurs 17th - club run. Easy 4.8 miles but with 4x75 seconds at 5k pace in the middle (this was for the benefit of people running xc today I think). Anyway, I ran them all way too hard! More like mile pace for me. Need to be more disciplined. Very easy back to the start point as one of the newer members was feeling it so I ran with her and not leave her alone.

Fri 18th - morning S&C, 40 mins.

Sat 19th - knowing I wasn’t going to bother with the XC race, I headed over to Marlay parkrun. The intention was to give it a proper effort, but on the run over the wind and rain had me thinking I’d be happy enough with something steady! Happy enough at that, despite the wind in parts (especially the concert field), 25.03. Jog home to a pot of tea! Just under 5 miles for the morning.

Sun 20th - woke to the lovely sound of wind and rain again! Met clubmates at the usual spot in Marlay with no one really sure where we would head today. In the end, we coaxed ourselves up to Hellfire again, extra slowly with the wind into our faces on the uphill! One dog incident coming back down through Massy’s - while I am much improved a dog jumping up on people is still not ok! Had to use some of my clubmates as human shields 😬 Still, nice to get 11 miles done on a morning like that. Deserved the couch time this afternoon if I say so myself.

31 miles for the week.

Mon 21st - 20 mins of core/mobility stuff.

Tues 22nd - Morning strength class, 40 mins.

Evening club session. Legs felt heavy and tired from the start. 1 mile warm-up, 15-20 mins drills and then into the session. 3 x 5 mins at 10k pace, off 90 seconds was the first part. I found it really tough to get into a rhythm on these and the legs felt sluggish. Difference of having a coach there though - I decided to treat myself to a wee walk after the 2nd rep when suddenly, out of the darkness, I hear ‘NO WALKING!’ 🤣 Caught rotten! There is no knowing where Gary is going to appear on the loop! Paces were 8.03, 7.54 and 8.08. Wasn’t sure how I would manage the next piece of 3 x 3 mins at 5k pace, but somehow settled into a rhythm on all the reps pretty well. Paces were 7.26, 7.29 and 7.28. Funny how it goes. 1 mile cool down (ish) for 5.6 miles total.

Weds 23rd - Had hoped to get out for an easy run, but I admit to letting the weather put me off, as well as giving my tired glutes a rest.

Thurs 24th - Club evening run. Easy 5.4 miles at 9.48/m. Legs still heavy but got around with no drama.

Fri 25th - Morning S&C, 40 mins.

Easy lunchtime run. Had been hoping to get into a 5th day (knowing I would run Sat and Sun), and the sunny afternoon weather helped. 5k at 9.51/m.

Sat 26th - Club session. 1 mile warm-up, short enough set of drills, and then a revised session of 400s (rather than 2 min reps), off 1 min recovery. I really struggled with the session. It was supposed to be 5k pace but as usual when you are following the bunch, I was getting dragged to quicker pace, not to mention the first 200 was up a slight drag (excuses excuses!). I sat out the 6th rep with a couple of others, and did 3 more. Nice to have the coaching again with Maria reminding us of the importance of quality over quantity! When I look at the Garmin stats, I can see I set out way too quick on the first couple, but also that I was not getting a full min recovery on a lot of the reps. Of course, I got a lot extra before rep 6.

6.46, 6.45, 7.02, 7.03, 7.03, 7.06, 7.02 and 6.58. 1 mile for cool down.

Went for a stroll around Powerscourt waterfall with family in the afternoon (instead of a planned boozy brunch :-/ ) - bloody 6.50 entrance fee!? The boom is back.

Sun 27th - got out for the early club run. Turns out the plan wasn’t hills, but a flatter route and to include 3 x 1 mile at half pace. I have not decided what my planned pace for Berlin is so I stuck with what the others were doing (8.30 - 8.45 range). Felt mostly ok if a little tired for this. The miles came in at 8.41, 8.35 and 8.38, with 5 mins v easy between. The last one also finished up that steep hill past St Endas, only stubbornness kept me going. 10 miles for the morning, avg pace 9.56/m.

28.2 miles for the week.

Not sure why it all felt quite sluggish this week, could just be one of those weeks but also could be the strength work. While it’s not like I’m using very heavy weights, I have been pushing it up this last while. I don’t know if I should back off, or if its one of those things where it takes the few weeks to get the body/legs accustomed and I’ll be fine (and stronger)? Something to have a ponder on. All opinions welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Runster

I'm not sure what lower body exercises you're doing but I've always found with doing squats, no matter

how often I do them they always affect the way my thighs and bum feel on a run for the next two days.

The best thing would be to do them the day after the hard session or the day before an easy run.

The upper body should be fine, deadlifts shouldn't affect you too much after a few sessions either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

For S&C work I find lunges and squats can kill my legs a bit so often can find I lose a days running afterwards because of that sort of thing sometimes. I always have to be careful to pace myself at such sessions, sometimes I find it gets too much into cardio work so I try to ease back a bit. Less reps but more quality.

Thanks for the input! So lower body is deadlifts (double and single leg, varies), single leg squats, hops, glute bridges etc... I've been doing it all pretty consistently for over 2 years now, it's just gotten a little heavier - not that I'm actually using anything heavy by most people's standards, just my own! I suppose the question is at what point, as a runner, do you pull back so you don't have heavy legs for the week? Or do you just push through? I'm fine with not hitting the paces on every session, but it's the overall tiredness of muscles in the week... possibly not 100% sure what my own question is!

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I've been doing strength the same day as the Tuesday session, and was mostly finding I could handle the tiredness/heaviness... its not a huge number of reps in the strength session, definitely focusing on form and correct movements.

Your plan looks a bit heavier now since you're training for your half so that would explain the

tiredness of the muscles overall. Yeah if you're able to push through then great or as I said

alter your day for the S&C so that it doesnt fall the day before the tough sessions.

Thats what i would do but its up to you.

Your sessions look great and you'll need to keep them for Berlin.

Mon 28th Feb – Rest. Had planned to do some mobility stuff at home but was too lazy :-/

Tues 1st Mar – Morning strength class. Took it back a bit on the SL squats so the legs wouldn’t be as heavy for the evening run.

Evening session: 1 mile warm-up, lots of drills (skips, fast feet, strides etc) then into 10 x 1 min hard, 1 min easy. Took off too hard as is the norm, but settled into it and focused on keeping my form not-too-sloppy. Paces were between 6.28 and 6.40 for the most part, if Garmin can be trusted to pick up 1 min reps. More drills afterwards (hops, lunges) and into the cool down. Less mileage than usual for a Tuesday, 4.4 miles. I did get a bit of the coughing that night that comes after hard runs so I feel like I ran the reps sufficiently hard.

Weds 2nd Mar – easy evening miles. 3.5 miles at 9.54/m.

Thurs 3rd Mar – club run, easy miles plus strides. 6 miles at avg pace 10.36/m, bit skewed by the strides and walking recoveries. I was wearing new socks I’d picked up in Decathlon and ended up with blistered feet. Not fun.

Fri 4th Mar – morning S&C.

Sat 5th Mar – club session, another short one. Mile warm-up, then over to a quiet estate (although one resident wasn’t too impressed with our presence) across from St Enda’s to run some hill sprints (after drills). The distance was definitely too short to pick up any sort of pace correctly but the session was broken into 5 longer sprints then 5 shorter ones. It was point to point and the first set were all 33/34 seconds, and the second all about 12 seconds so I’m happy enough that I was consistent in my efforts. Mile cool down. Gorgeous day so walked up to Ticknock forest in the afternoon 😊

Sun 6th Mar – out at 8 as usual for the long run. This week we ran 3 easy, 2 x 15 mins at HMP (?), 5 mins off, and home easy which was about 3ish miles. Went well apart from the blisters coming up again .. the 15 min sections came in at 8.35 and 8.30, and I felt quite good, so I think I will definitely set out at this pace in Berlin, but I’d like to think I could push on after a while… hard to know. I might attempt a long run with paced sections at 8.15-8.20 and see how it feels in the next couple of weeks. Anywho, 10.8 miles for the morning and then an afternoon at my niece’s 5th birthday party.

28 miles for the week. Still lower than I would like but feel like I’m getting enough of a mix in there..

Mon 7th Mar – rest

Tues 8th – morning strength class. First time ever using a barbell for squats.. not that there was much weight added to it!

Evening session in UCD – couple miles warm-up, 10 mins of drills and then 12 x 2 mins, 1 min off. The 12 reps were broken into HM pace, 10k pace and 5k pace, and then back to HMP etc. I loved this. It was on a small enough loop at the back of UCD near where the old track used to be, so I didn’t really think I could trust GPS and had to go by feel or use the people around me. But it went reasonably well, and more importantly I felt really good running it.

Garmin shows paces as:

8.27, 7.37, 7.34 (10k pace bit fast here)

8.21, 8.01, 7.33

8.05, 7.54, 7.42 (HM starts to feel a bit pedestrian so stupidly went harder)

8.50, 7.40, 7.22 (Held back too much on the 1st rep)

About a mile cool down back to cars for 7.5 miles total for the evening.

Weds 9th – no easy miles, too much rain!

Thurs 10th – easy club miles, 5.7 at 9.48/m average. Finished with 10 x 100m strides. These always feel good for the legs.

Annoyingly.. Berlin HM issued an email that day regarding the covid vax certs required. Long story short, my recovery cert is out by one day for their requirements, and I hadn’t gotten a booster before I got covid (had an appointment which had to be cancelled obvs). So now I need to try get a booster before the 3 months are up after recovery! I’ve booked an appointment today and let’s hope they don’t turn me away!

Fri 11th – morning S&C. Always hard to get out of bed for this on a Friday, but always feel better for it!

Easy miles in the evening before the park closed, lovely bit of sunshine. 4 miles at 9.39/m average.

Went to a gig in the evening, was one of the few wearing a mask but given my last gig experience I wasn’t taking any chances!

Sat 12th – morning session with the club. Mile warm-up, few drills and then into 10 min tempo. I was thinking around 8.15 (especially given the many drags around St Endas) so happy enough with 8.19 average. 2 min recovery then 2 x 30s hard, off 1 min. Back into another 10 min tempo, averaged 8.11 (legs had woken up), and another 2 x 30s hard. Short cool down for 4.8 miles total.

Had booked a sports massage for lunchtime, was a newish physio in the place I go, and with my best Nancy Drew skills I realised the physio is the offspring of a former(? Though maybe makes appearances now and then) boardsie… Lots of running chat! And my legs weren’t as bad as I feared. My left calf and hamstring had been feeling tight but nothing crazy so was good to get the bit of maintenance.

Sun 13th – out for the now-usual 8am long run. Was worried there wouldn’t be others given some are running Mullingar HM on Thursday, but seeing as they are doing it as a training run they still wanted to get the Sunday run in. About 11.5 miles total, and two HMPish 15 min sections. I didn’t have it on the watch so was just watching pace. I was very conservative the first 15 mins, stayed closer to 8.55 but felt good for the second section, about 8.40 pace.

34.8 miles for the week. Very happy with the week tbh.

Update: I have been refused the booster 😭😫

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Sorry to read this V. Does this mean you can't do Berlin?

No I will still be able thankfully, just extra hoops (and money!) to jump through with rapid tests. Bloody nuisance! I have asked if they'll accept the recovery cert I do have but I'm doubtful, given the stereotype of being sticklers for rules...

That’s a pity about the booster. One of the great (if also annoying) things about Ireland has always been flexibility with such things, especially with travel involved, and requirements of overseas bodies etc.

That MP/HM/10k session used to be a thing in my Cru years. Could never dial in to the changes. Classic fartlek really, probably best to not worry about the maths and more the effort.

I know at least one occasional/former boardsie whose daughter is a physio. Probably not the same one though?

Mon 14th - Rest

Tues 15th - Morning strength class. Only one of the week given the bank holidays.

Evening club session. Warm-up plus drills then 4 x 1500m at HMP, 10k, 5k and back to HMP (off 90 seconds standing recovery). This is the same session as the very first week we headed down to UCD to join these sessions, and I remember it not feeling too comfortable. I was determined to keep it more controlled this time around and managed to do so. Felt pretty good for it all. 7.54 (time not pace) for the 1st 1500m, and the advice was to take 15 seconds off the next lap (and across the lap, not the first 100m, advice I found pretty funny.. and needed!) . Second lap was 7.25, third 7.04 and couldn’t quite keep it properly controlled for the last lap which was 7.33 so a little closer to 10k pace rather than HM pace. Another lap to cool down for 5.8 miles for the evening.

Weds 16th - Met a friend for a lunch run, 4 miles at 9.38/m.

Thurs 17th - Decided to head out for a short hilly run in the bank holiday sunshine rather than wait til evening down in Offaly. Didn’t realise just how steep the road was up, have only ever run down it before! Needed walk breaks heading up which was a little worrying.. 3.1 miles at 10.12/m average.

Fri 18th - Lazy day meeting friends for tea and cake at home.

Sat 19th - Wanted to give a parkrun a proper go and was considering going somewhere other than Marlay, but it’s just so close it’s hard to justify going anywhere else! About a mile and half warm up, and then into the parkrun. Kinda knew right away my legs were feeling tired, and after the hill in km 1 they were zonked. Very heavy quads and just generally tired. Finished it out at maybe a steady pace while my head was second guessing all my training - the usual rollercoaster of thoughts on a bad running day! About 26 mins for the parkrun and a short jog home after tea with friends. I was a bit concerned but to be honest I’m just putting it down to one of those days.

Sun 20th - Was happy to keep the long run a bit shorter given my tired legs and we are only a couple weeks out from Berlin anyway, so an extra 20 mins probably isn’t going to do much at this point. 8.5 miles ish at 9.50/m average. Another nice Sunday morning for running. We’ve been lucky this month really.

27 miles for the week. I reckon Tuesday evening will be the last ‘hard’ run before Berlin, and I am really looking forward to resting the legs then. It’s a bit odd as I have done higher mileage leading up to other half marathons but I’m guessing the consistency of the sessions is what’s different. Hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I wouldn't be worrying about having to stop going up that kellystown road past stackstown. It's the hardest climb of that mountain IMO. It's just so dam steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

With regards to the blisters a few weeks back, still suffering with them? The Steigen socks they discounted to DCM 2019 runners are worth a try. I picked up more pairs after having initial success with them. Just avoid putting them in the dryer as they will shrink a lot.

Yes got another at the weekend but I am now inclined to think it may be the Brooks all of a sudden, possibly as I went a size up and its getting warmer now or something?? I can't really figure it out but tbh they're not bad enough to stop me right now.. Won't be wearing the Brooks in Berlin anyway. Might pick up those socks for later in the year 😏

Mon 21st - Rest

Tues 22nd - Strength class in the morning.

UCD session in the evening; warm-up, drills and strides then into 4 laps of the 1500m loop with no recovery and alternating between marathon and half-marathon pace. I went with 9ish min miles for MP and 8.30ish for HMP, came in at 8.56, 8.33, 8.52 and 8.20 (all paces and all felt nicely controlled). Few more strides then into a cool down. 6.1 miles for the evening.

Weds 23rd - Rest

Thurs 24th - Easy evening miles with the club, 5.4m at 9.32/m avg. Finished with 6 x 80m strides.

Fri 25th - Morning S&C.

Sat 26th - Met a friend before parkrun for a few easy miles, 3.3m at 9.36/m. Then parkrun at 9.39/m avg, but that included a couple minutes walking with a recuperating clubmate. Absolutely fabulous morning.

Sun 27th - More easy miles, 5m at 10.04/m avg, with a few others who are heading to Berlin.

Just 24 miles for the week, and legs feeling way less tired so that’s good. However, the blister on my right foot has been an absolute pain! Fingers crossed it clears up properly. I can manage to ignore it for the most part running but I’d rather not have to do that. The other ‘issue’ may be avoiding the damn plague between now and my antigen test on Saturday morning. Bloody everywhere again/still.

I wear Brooks all the time, I can't recall ever getting blisters but I wear the 1000 mile socks from Elvery's and have been wearing them

ever since I took up running. They're not cheap but they last for ages. I highly recommend them.

• Advertisement

I tried those socks a few years back when I started running first and it was the first time I ever got blisters! So unlikely to try again. The Brooks were grand up to now so not really sure what's happening, was just an idea.

Advertisement