Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man! I feel like a runner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I was quite aware of the lesser freedom women enjoy(or don't enjoy). My OH hasn't been in the habit of walking after dark for a few years now. Well not on her own anyway. I think social media reinforces that fear with the way news feeds are personalised based on previous stories viewed. But I'm certainly not going to argue about how she feels because it's not a fear over nothing.

Then the issue got more real with the discovery that a registered offender moved in a few doors up just before Christmas. I don't go running after dark now either. Things are in motion on that front though at least and they likely won't be there for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I was quite aware of the lesser freedom women enjoy(or don't enjoy). My OH hasn't been in the habit of walking after dark for a few years now. Well not on her own anyway. I think social media reinforces that fear with the way news feeds are personalised based on previous stories viewed. But I'm certainly not going to argue about how she feels because it's not a fear over nothing.

Then the issue got more real with the discovery that a registered offender moved in a few doors up just before Christmas. I don't go running after dark now either. Things are in motion on that front though at least and they likely won't be there for too long.

Christ that's horrible. No wonder you've had to change running habits.

15th - 21st March
    35 miles this week over 6 days. I never got out on Monday after a work call ran a little late and I was hungry :) Didn’t bother with the HRM any day I think, but just tried to run easy enough by feel. It was nice to add a couple extra miles on Wednesday with the day off, and the weather has been just perfect for running. 2 x 45 min S&C sessions as usual, along with the rehab exercises most days.

My left calf started to feel a bit tight this week, which had me thinking I’m still not running at all efficiently despite all my activation exercises pre-run as well as general glute strengthening exercises. Funnily enough, the physio checked in with me and ended up suggesting he take a look at how I’m running on Saturday morning. There is nothing as likely to make you completely forget how you put one foot after the other as someone standing watching you :pac:
    We went through a few things to try improve how the legs are moving, or rather the hips, so we’ll see. It’s not anything that can change overnight, but I’m willing to try it for a bit anyway.

Very boring log this week really...

22nd - 28th March

Slightly less boring running this week..

Mon 22nd
    Short easy run in the evening, 3.4 miles @ 9.20/m.

Tues 23rd
    45 mins S&C
    Easy evening run again but this time with 6 x 20 second hills thrown in about half way. No focus on speed, just on form with lifting the legs well and keeping the back straight. Nothing very intense and maybe it was in my head, but it felt like the couple miles home afterwards were smoother. 5.2 miles.

Weds 24th
    Felt generally tired and decided to just go for a walk after dinner as the evening was nice enough.

Thurs 25th
    Second (and final) attempt at the March challenge. With the lap splits set to km on the watch this time, it went much better and I managed to keep it overall quite sensible pace-wise. It was pretty enjoyable too, even with my wardrobe malfunction! 6.2 miles @ 9.01/m avg.

Fri 26th
    45 mins S&C
    Another easy run with 20 second hills thrown in, this time I did 8 reps. Again just focused on form, although once I did catch myself trying to run faster as there was another runner nearby - dope that I am :pac: 5.4 miles total.

Sat 27th
    The clubs 10k TT was on, and I just wanted to get the distance done but aimed for about 55 minutes. Ended up a little fast, and with the wind that even felt harder than it probably should have! I didn’t really fuel up properly either to be honest. Lazy. 6.2 miles @ 8.39/m avg.

Sun 28th
    After a lovely morning zoom for my goddaughters 1st birthday :) I eventually headed out in the afternoon. I’d had 10 miles in my head but the wind was quite frankly a massive pain in the you know where so just ended up doing 7. Not too bothered. 9.05/m avg.

33.5 miles for the week.
    I did plenty of work on the glutes and hamstring outside the S&C too. My hamstring is feeling good again, but I’m going to take a softly, softly approach. There’s something in my running form that my left leg doesn’t like and I’m hopeful working on glute strength and the short hills for the next little while will change that even a small bit. I was reading the chapter on running efficient in Magness’ Science of Running that crisco loaned me, and it enforces that idea really.

29th March - 4th April

Mon 29th
    Easy few miles after work, 3.4 miles @ 9.21/m.
    To my shame last weekend I was tidying up a few things, and discovered a pair of runners I had entirely forgotten I’d bought around the same time I bought my Brooks (approx 6 months ago) - Nike EPIC Reacts ! Time to admit a shoe buying problem possibly! Anyway, I tried them on this day and they’re better feeling than the Infinity ones although probably still need a few more miles to break them in...

Tues 30th
    40 mins S&C.
    Was off work so nice opportunity to get a relaxed lunchtime run in with the sun shining. Threw in 8 x 20s hills, again just focusing on form over speed. 6 miles total @ 9.02/m

Weds 31st
    Tried the Infinity React for what is probably the last time. They just felt like they were bruising my sole (more on the right foot though interestingly). I’d tried lacing them up differently also. Funny though, one of my brothers called me later in the week and as usual running came up, and he mentioned a new pair of Nikes that he found uncomfortable - the same ones :pac: must be our feet!
    Anywho, 4 miles @ 9.25/m. Wore the HRM, 141 avg.
    150 miles for the month.

Thurs 1st
    Chose one of the more hilly routes around the roads. 6 miles @ 9.10/m (thanks to the downhills I suspect).

Fri 2nd
    45 mins S&C.
    I finished up work early and had fully intended on going for a run, but once I shut the laptop I decided to do some furniture rearranging and then bookshelf sorting.. and the evening completely got away from me! Not like it was lazy I guess.

Sat 3rd
    Out in the lovely sun for 6.3 miles @ 9.14/m. Just a lovely morning.

Sun 4th
    I decided to head into city centre for my long(ish) run Sunday morning. Lovely and peaceful, really just other runners and cyclists about. 8.3 miles @ 9.29/m. Think the couple of glasses of wine the night before helped keep my pace down :)

34.3 miles for the week.

The hamstring is holding up well, left calf a little tight at times so just need to keep rolling it and doing my activation exercises before I head out the door (which I am doing most days), as well all the other ‘stuff’. I do feel like my legs are lifting better but sometimes I wonder how much of that is just in the head!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I might find a few euro down the back of the couch at times but never a brand new pair of runners!
    Enjoy the new threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Bookshelf sorting? Haven’t heard that excuse before. Colour, genre or alphabetical order? :)

Murph_D wrote:
    Bookshelf sorting? Haven’t heard that excuse before. Colour, genre or alphabetical order.

Genre, then alphabetical within each genre, and a separate section for the as-yet-unread.. The running section has grown nicely these past few years I have to say :)

Mon 5th - Sun 11th April

21 miles over 5 days running. 2 x 45 min S&C sessions, 1 x 15 min yoga

I feel like I’ve been doing nothing but complaining on the log the last couple of months. While the hamstring is improved, the changes I’ve been trying to make to my running form seem to have done something else :o
    The early part of the week was fine, and I added the 20 sec hills again on Tuesday’s run.
    Thursday’s run was cut short with pain in my RIGHT leg (was the left that was always the problem before now), so I was sensible and turned for home sooner than planned. Rested Friday and Saturday, and headed out for a run today and it was fine for the first couple of miles, but certainly the last mile was quite uncomfortable. I have a few thoughts but honestly couldn’t be bothered writing them down. Will probably text the physio tomorrow and see, but right now I’m thinking a week off running for some proper rest might not be the worst thing.

• Advertisement

Oh go on, write down the thoughts! :) Sorry to hear of the difficulty.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Oh go on, write down the thoughts! :) Sorry to hear of the difficulty.

They're more ramblings than thoughts :) and therefore not helpful to anyone I suspect, not even to myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hope all goes well at the Physio & hopefully you get some answers! Nothing wrong with taking a break either, sometimes it's exactly what's needed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I attended a webinar recently (Coach Parry) and one of the main points was about frequent injuries. According to him if you're not recovering properly this can be an issue. He says recovery is more important than training and advocates walks or cycles on recovery days. At amateur level, any run has aerobic (therefore not recovery) benefits. He's the second person I heard this from recently, the other being my physio. May or May not be of interest to you.

A week off certainly won't hurt and fingers crossed you'll be back at it quickly.

Muscle tear on my calf innit.
    I’ll be quiet in here for a bit :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

ReeReeG wrote: »

Ah bo!!ix no!!

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear this ... wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Sorry to hear this. Hopefully its a low grade tear and you'll be back at it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Sorry to hear that V. Fingers crossed you'll be back soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sh1te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ah flip V. Hope ya have a speedy and healthy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Ah feck, that sucks. Hopefully you recover quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Balls, good luck with quick recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Hope your recovery goes well V. Mind yourself.

Hard luck, V. Safe recovery, you'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ah feck. Is it painful? Generally I mean, outside of running obviously. Stupid question probably. Hope you're ok

eyrie wrote: »
    Ah feck. Is it painful? Generally I mean, outside of running obviously. Stupid question probably. Hope you're ok

It's ok mostly. Gets sore out walking once I get to a hill or a slope even (which is why I knew it was a bit more than rest I seemed to need), so I've had to become a little more inventive with my walking routes! Obviously it's tender enough today after the physio last night, even though he wasn't too tough with it.
    Possibly most annoying is that it's on what was formerly my 'good leg'. So I now have two sh1t legs :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Have you calf compression sleeve to assist with recovery?

Be careful you don’t come back too quickly

TbL

Have you calf compression sleeve to assist with recovery?

Be careful you don’t come back too quickly

TbL

I do actually but hadn't thought of that. When does one wear such things?? at night? out walking? I have them but have never worn them.. as with frankly too many garments in my wardrobe :D

Yes the physio has warned me about that, or it'll keep happening apparently :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Balls! :(

Can you do Yoga? Down Dog etc..?

Yep, slow back. Its just time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Very sorry to read this V. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

I do actually but hadn't thought of that. When does one wear such things?? at night? out walking? I have them but have never worn them.. as with frankly too many garments in my wardrobe :D

Yes the physio has warned me about that, or it'll keep happening apparently :rolleyes:

I wear them at night (under the gymp suit :))

Give it a go you’ll enjoy it, and the sleeves too :)

TbL

I wear them at night (under the gymp suit :))

Give it a go you’ll enjoy it, and the sleeves too :)

TbL

Christ almighty :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Sorry To hear v

Jaysus nothing like reading about S & M of a Tuesday:eek:

V did the tear hurt when it happened as in was it a sudden pain that made you want to go to the physio or was it a gradual thing?

Jaysus nothing like reading about S & M of a Tuesday:eek:

V did the tear hurt when it happened as in was it a sudden pain that made you want to go to the physio or was it a gradual thing?

There wasn't any sudden sharp pain as I would have always assumed happens, but I do remember precisely when the pain started i.e. running up the hill towards the Goat Thurs before last and I had to cut the run short. It was certainly foolish to run again the couple days later but sure I'd no clue what the damage was. It was obvious it was pain as opposed to tightness anyway.

Can you do Yoga? Down Dog etc..?

I'd say so yeah.. might reacquaint myself with Adriene :)

There wasn't any sudden sharp pain as I would have always assumed happens, but I do remember precisely when the pain started i.e. running up the hill towards the Goat Thurs before last and I had to cut the run short. It was certainly foolish to run again the couple days later but sure I'd no clue what the damage was. It was obvious it was pain as opposed to tightness anyway.

Thanks V, not foolish at all, sure how many of us have ran through a bit of an injury thinking it's nothing much! All the best with the recovery:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Sorry to see this. Mind yourself. Any time-frame given on recovery and what to do instead, cycling?

I used compression sleeves I've had for years for the first time over the weekend. Used when sitting on ass in front of the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

So sorry to hear ReeRee, hope the recovery is quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Ouch, sorry to hear this. Wishing you a speedy recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Sorry to hear that V, at least you have a diagnosis and a recovery plan. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Hi V, I’m rarely on here these days but I heard that you and me are in the same boat! It seems I’ve done damage to my soleus muscle ... hard enough to diagnose but typically if it’s not healed then it goes again at some point when you try a run again. It happened to me back in 2018 just before Dublin too. I ended up having to take 2 weeks complete rest though I could swim throughout. No pools open now unfortunately so trying to walk and that’s now causing me trouble. Physio said I could try cycling on the flat very gently. Anyway, my advice would be give it plenty time to heal. It’s a hard one as if you are like me it feels perfect. Also the physio has me doing loads and loads of single leg bent knee heel lifts. I’ve to work up to 3x30 of them 5 times a day. Best of luck with it.

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Hi V, I’m rarely on here these days but I heard that you and me are in the same boat! It seems I’ve done damage to my soleus muscle ... hard enough to diagnose but typically if it’s not healed then it goes again at some point when you try a run again. It happened to me back in 2018 just before Dublin too. I ended up having to take 2 weeks complete rest though I could swim throughout. No pools open now unfortunately so trying to walk and that’s now causing me trouble. Physio said I could try cycling on the flat very gently. Anyway, my advice would be give it plenty time to heal. It’s a hard one as if you are like me it feels perfect. Also the physio has me doing loads and loads of single leg bent knee heel lifts. I’ve to work up to 3x30 of them 5 times a day. Best of luck with it.

Hey, nice to hear from you! Hope all is well besides the injury :)
    Sounds like similar approaches from both our physios really. I'm going to do my best not to rush back, or do too much too soon. Good luck to you as well.

Not much to report in here except walking is getting pretty f**king boring. I'll end up on the bike yet.

I've been an absolute goody-two-shoes with the resting and rehab etc and STILL the progress is very, very slow... I thought it was much improved last week but then spent the weekend in a lot of pain again :rolleyes: I thought I had an idea of how slow a tear would be to repair but turns out I really had no idea. Sigh.

And yes, this is a self-indulgent woe-is-me post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

And yes, this is a self-indulgent woe-is-me post :)

Isn’t that Offaly GAA’s motto........

Sorry to hear your woes are still at you V.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote:
    Isn’t that Offaly GAA’s motto........

Ha that's gonna change with our new sponsor

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Sorry to see its not healing so quickly ReereeG. You're entitled to a wow is me post, it sounds very painful and annoying!

Funny how a total of 7.5 mins running can bump the spirits up :cool:
    15 mins, 30 seconds on and 30 off. Those 30 seconds running went by far too quickly but hey, I was so happy to be running :pac:

The main takeaway is there was no pain. Some tiredness in the calf by the end, so I definitely need to take this slowly, but I'll keep strengthening it also. Feeling hopeful, will try get a few more similar 'runs' in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Was delighted to see a return to running. Super. Keep it up, carefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

Welcome back, at least you don't have tag to drag you back either!

• Advertisement
Advertisement