Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on yellow lines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

athlone573 wrote:
    Is the mention of "goods" specific to commercial goods (or commercial taxed vehicle) in other words can I park a car outside the takeaway on double yellows while I pick up my phone order?

I always read it as a "goods vehicle" / commercial vehicle. I never thought it referred to private vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Marcusm wrote: »
    Yes, you are worse, you parked on the footpath (even if it was a grass verge).

Well there is no suggestion that this was a footpath.

The OP suggests that he/she has received an FCN supposedly for parking on yellow lines. I think it’s clear that an offence was likely to have been committed in this regard notwithstanding the fact that the car was parked on the far side (inside) of these yellow lines.

If there weren’t yellow lines or signage prohibiting parking, the situation would be less clear. Whether this area could also be considered a grass verge would need to be established. If there was no grass present, and the area was a rocky, sandy or stoned verge then parking wouldn’t necessarily be prohibited. If the alleged ‘verge’ was a large area grass or otherwise, there would also be the question of whether stage location the car was parked actually formed part of a public road in the first instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I always read it as a "goods vehicle" / commercial vehicle. I never thought it referred to private vehicles[

athlone573 wrote: »
    Is the mention of "goods" specific to commercial goods (or commercial taxed vehicle) in other words can I park a car outside the takeaway on double yellows while I pick up my phone order?

Short answer is NO

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

costacorta wrote: »
    Short answer is NO

LOL. No to which question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭duffmann

Anyone who parked in Portmarnock today inside the double yellow lines should expect a letter in the post. Garda was busy filling in his notebook. The cars were on the grass verge/footpath.

Art 5(1)(e) of the1997 regs overrides the general prohibition for parking on double yellows for 30 minutes of loading/unloading and us not restricted to goods vehicles.

( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

Spot the guy that doesnt issue parking tickets :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Lenar3556 wrote: »

No prohibition of loading / unloading on double yellow lines was news to me. - where is that stated?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print

S. 5.1.e

Darc19 wrote: »

Is that for everywhere in the country? Why I ask is I thought every town would have their own by -laws .. If it was that simple everyone would say they were unloading or had unloaded if they received a parking fine surely.
    Also if in a private car would you be covered by insurance doing deliveries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The OP suggests that he/she has received an FCN supposedly for parking on yellow lines. I think it’s clear that an offence was likely to have been committed in this regard notwithstanding the fact that the car was parked on the far side (inside) of these yellow lines.

If there weren’t yellow lines or signage prohibiting parking, the situation would be less clear. Whether this area could also be considered a grass verge would need to be established. If there was no grass present, and the area was a rocky, sandy or stoned verge then parking wouldn’t necessarily be prohibited. If the alleged ‘verge’ was a large area grass or otherwise, there would also be the question of whether stage location the car was parked actually formed part of a public road in the first instance.

A footway (apologies) is any part of a road not designed for vehicles (their part is the carriageway). Any part of the road outside the carriageway (as delineated by lines where relevant) is a footway.

• Advertisement

If there were no yellow lines the issue would not arise as, unless there was a continuous white line or parking in such a place would obstruct other vehicles (stop them passing at all), then it wouldn’t be an issue.

costacorta wrote: »
    Is that for everywhere in the country? Why I ask is I thought every town would have their own by -laws .. If it was that simple everyone would say they were unloading or had unloaded if they received a parking fine surely.
    Also if in a private car would you be covered by insurance doing deliveries ?

The important part is "whilst loading or unloading"

If you are not actively loading or unloading, a ticket applies.

Of course you can be covered by insurance for goods in a private car.
    Possibly you are collecting goods from a shop for your home, or if you are doing it as part of your work you simply get business driving added to your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

duffmann wrote: »
    Anyone who parked in Portmarnock today inside the double yellow lines should expect a letter in the post. Garda was busy filling in his notebook. The cars were on the grass verge/footpath.

Sorry I was one of them! Probably worth the €40 fine to avoid listening to the family if I told them we had to turn around and go home cause there was no parking available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Thanks for that.
    I suppose it’s fair to say that in such circumstances a vehicle could also be committing a separate parking offence, and given that a local authority saw fit to paint double yellow lines in the first instance, anyone planning to rely of this exemption would need to pretty diligent as to proximity to junctions, crossings, perceived as causing of an obstruction etc.

Spot the guy that doesnt issue parking tickets :p

My fervent wish would be for this ticket to be €200, for thousands to be issued, enforced and collected (by private bailiffs if necessary) and for people to stop parking like twats (in urban areas particularly) such that it becomes unnecessary to issue them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I'd love to see pics of this place way out the country with double yellow lines and where farmers park all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Zenify wrote: »
    For people saying I was parked in between a motorway. let me be more specific, this is down a country road. There's a large grass area between the road and hedgerow. You see farmers parking off the road beside their fields all the time on this area.

Double yellow lines down a country road ??

Plenty of them in scenic spots

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Plenty of them in scenic spots

Also, amusingly, plenty of them anywhere near spitting distance of a river around where I am.

My fervent wish would be for this ticket to be €200, for thousands to be issued, enforced and collected (by private bailiffs if necessary) and for people to stop parking like twats (in urban areas particularly) such that it becomes unnecessary to issue them.

Take a serious change to the current system. Anything other than parking in a disabled spot or bike lane and you are wasting your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I've said this already. It's near a scenic walk (It's a popular walking spot) in the wicklow mountains (not glendalough). Yellow lines on country road as it would get a lot of parking from walkers etc. I don't see why that is hard to believe?

I don't want to post exactly where it is for a few reasons (more than just the posts in this thread).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've said this already. It's near a scenic walk (It's a popular walking spot) in the wicklow mountains (not glendalough). Yellow lines on country road as it would get a lot of parking from walkers etc. I don't see why that is hard to believe?

I don't want to post exactly where it is for a few reasons (more than just the posts in this thread).

What state do you reckon the grass verge is going to be in if used for parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

The yellow lines on most of the roads around scenic areas for example brittas Bay or the viewing point up Sally's gap is to stop people parking like twats. I'm guessing since you admitted you ignored the yellow lines and you got a ticket that you were parked like a twat.

After what I seen today people should start parking and blocking the roads and driveways of the idiots that ignore road markings.

I see the cyclists have found this thread.

Take a serious change to the current system. Anything other than parking in a disabled spot or bike lane and you are wasting your time.

My favourite local one at a 4 way junction are the delivery vans which park between the disabled bay and the junction. The disabled bay is 5m or less from junction, they park across stop sign, dropped kerb etc. 2 primary schools within 50m. Regularly get vans parked across three corners at once.

I’m not passive, I will engage, educate and have been insistent enough to force a squad car to come down on 5 occasions over past 5 years. A few warnings but not a single ticket. On one occasion, one of the guards guided someone to park within 2m or so of the junction as I spoke to his colleague. I had explained to him that there was no way that it could be legal before he guided him in. That led to a formal complaint to the station. Hardly possible to complain when the guard is guiding him to park illegally. His colleague’s face was beetroot as he guided him in and I’d say he had a go at him afterwards. I almost felt sorry as he really how much of a gob****e he had been but woukdn’t back down. The can completely blocked the dropped kerb. And yes, there are three losing bays right at this spot. One filled with 4 private cars which they chose not to ticket.

That’s why I think guards need to be able to hand out sizeable tickets which can be enforced by bailiffs not requiring the guard to attend court.

Edit: it goes without saying that they hate seeing me around and probably have my phone number on a list at the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I get your point and it's a strange one. Fair enough you can't park on yellow lines... But you weren't. So how far do yellow lines extend to the left or right of them. I'd like to see an actual law on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

The yellow lines on most of the roads around scenic areas for example brittas Bay or the viewing point up Sally's gap is to stop people parking like twats. I'm guessing since you admitted you ignored the yellow lines and you got a ticket that you were parked like a twat.

After what I seen today people should start parking and blocking the roads and driveways of the idiots that ignore road markings.

This is posted in the legal discussion. Not the twat discussion. I'm wondering what the legal side to parking near yellow lines is. I parked in an area that was not dangerous and does not cause an obstruction to anyone. I saw it as the best and safest option to go and enjoy my day.

As previously mentioned there's plenty of cars parked on the road before and after where I was parked. Some on the grass verge like me. I assume they did not get a ticket. In my opinion the reason for the yellow lines is to stop cars passing on the other side of the road beside a t junction. My car did not cause this issue. As another posted has mentioned, yellow lines include the outside of the road. That would mean I am legally in the wrong. That is the answer I needed . Was my car causing a problem? no, but that's irrelevant when you are talking about the law. I do find it interesting because how far does this include. on the other side. ..

Just because you have seen other people park like an idiot does not mean I was parked like an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭easygoing1982

I parked in an area that was not dangerous and does not cause an obstruction to anyone. I saw it as the best and safest option to go and enjoy my day.

The best and safest option and this goes for every idiot I seen yesterday, not just you, would have been not ON double yellow lines, not on peoples private property or blocking their gateways, not on blind bends and not blocking entrances to scenic areas that maybe required by the emergency services.
    As previously mentioned there's plenty of cars parked on the road before and after where I was parked. Some on the grass verge like me. I assume they did not get a ticket.

Plenty of people did alot of different things yesterday. Doesnt make it right. You were selfish and wrong. Stop trying to justify it. Why would you assume no one else didn't get a ticket. They may have parked up after the guards left the area.
    In my opinion the reason for the yellow lines is to stop cars passing on the other side of the road beside a t junction.

In my opinion if they were meant for the opposite side of the road they'd be on the opposite side of the road
    My car did not cause this issue.

It may have, it may not have. I don't know because I wasn't there. Were you? I've seen people returning to their cars hours later and just driving off unbeknown to them that there has been mayhem on the road because of where they parked.
    Just because you have seen other people park like an idiot does not mean I was parked like an idiot.

By your own admittance I can tell you, you were parked like an idiot. The last few weeks these areas all over the country have seen thousands of visitors. Some parking on double yellows like you, others parked on peoples gateways and grass verges that they are kept pristine with flowers etc to now have tyre tracks going through them. Some have parked in woodland, scenic area gateways that would block ambulances and mountain rescue from gaining entry. I'd say all the people in the examples are saying the above. " Sure what's the harm. We're only out enjoying the sun" .The harm is local residents literally cannot do their day to day business as they can't drive on the local roads.

The harm is that there is no access for emergency services if there was an incident. If a fire brigade was to go on that road you were parked on and there was a traffic jam, where are the cars to go to make room? To the left? They now can't because of people like you ignoring road markings endangering lifes then come on here trying to justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

That €40 fine says otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement