Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking on yellow lines

Options
  • 12-06-2021 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

I got a fixed charge notice to pay a fine of 40eur to the guards for parking on yellow lines. There was yellow lines on the road so I parked off the road on the grass beside the road. All my wheels were off the road. Am I in the wrong here? If not how would I go about challenging it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Zenify wrote: »
    Am I in the wrong here?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I got a fixed charge notice to pay a fine of 40eur to the guards for parking on yellow lines. There was yellow lines on the road so I parked off the road on the grass beside the road. All my wheels were off the road. Am I in the wrong here? If not how would I go about challenging it?

The grass was almost certainly not provided as an alternative parking area for motor vehicles.

You might consider paying the €40 and being more careful where you park in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

What does the ticket say? I've never known one to say "yellow lines"

You can't park on a grass verge.

Quote-
    On a footpath, grass verge or median (the space between two carriageways), including where this is outside your house/business

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Is this a serious question?

If it is Op you should hand in your licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

If the lights are red, is it grand to mount the path and go around it?

But the red light applies to the road, not the path right? …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

For people saying I was parked in between a motorway. let me be more specific, this is down a country road. There's a large grass area between the road and hedgerow. You see farmers parking off the road beside their fields all the time on this area.

Darc19 wrote: »
    What does the ticket say? I've never known one to say "yellow lines"

Yeah it says parking on double yellow lines. I looked at your quote and saw an article about parking on grass verge by the aa. I disagree with the parking on yellow lines part but if I'm not allowed to park on a grass verge that's another thing. The AA article mentions grass verge.

For people saying I was parked in between a motorway. let me be more specific, this is down a country road. There's a large grass area between the road and hedgerow. You see farmers parking off the road beside their fields all the time on this area.

A country road with yellow lines is a rare beast.

Were they double yellows?

Unfortunately for you what other people get away with is irrelevant.

If the lights are red, is it grand to mount the path and go around it?

But the red light applies to the road, not the path right? …

Well , mounting the path is illegal... I would consider myself pretty clued in on traffic laws. I'm well aware it's illegal to park on a footpath, but I didn't know you aren't allowed to park on a grass verge.

elperello wrote: »

Were they double yellows?

There was double yellows, I made sure my car was a few feet in from the road because of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

You're in the wrong.

But challenge it because I want to know what the fine is increased to :pac:

I don't think it's worth the argument over €50 (or whatever the amount)

You accept the double yellow lines were there and you parked on the grass verge that had the lines.

As it was a rural area I suspect that there was very good reason for the lines - possibly narrow road in scenic spot which could disrupt emergency vehicles.

If you challenged it and get the judge on a bad day, you might see a €200+ fine

I see it's €40. That's quite cheap. Psy it and forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Do you get penalty points for this?

• I'd love to be in your passenger seat some day OP, just to see what you get up to.

There was double yellows, I made sure my car was a few feet in from the road because of them.

So, in your opinion, why were the double yellow lines there?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

athlone573 wrote: »
    Do you get penalty points for this?

No

Only time one can park on double yellow lines is to be actively loading or unloading up to 30 minutes.

elperello wrote: »
    So, in your opinion, why were the double yellow lines there?

Because it would be a popular spot to park for a scenic walk.

You can park on the same road in a few spots but there's a T junction coming from the other side of the road near where I parked so they wouldn't want cars going onto the other side of the road into the T junction. There was nothing dangerous about my parking, I was not obstructing view or causing cars to cross onto the other side of the road. I do admit I am in the wrong, but not for yellows, for parking on a grass verge 😇

It was a busy weekend so all other spots were taken. If you want more of a laugh, as some posters say they would love to be in a car with me to see what I get up to. I drive for a living! I do about 200,000km a year and have 0 points or previous fines.

Only time one can park on double yellow lines is to be actively loading or unloading up to 30 minutes.

As a commercial vehicle or a psv.
    I would consider myself pretty clued in on traffic laws.
    I didn't know you aren't allowed to park on a grass verge.

The second sentence makes a mockery of the first

You parked illegally, be a grown up and accept it.

I do accept it now for parking on a grass verge.

• Advertisement

As a commercial vehicle or a psv.

The second sentence makes a mockery of the first

Any vehicle can load/unload on double yellows

Because it would be a popular spot to park for a scenic walk.

You can park on the same road in a few spots but there's a T junction coming from the other side of the road near where I parked so they wouldn't want cars going onto the other side of the road into the T junction. There was nothing dangerous about my parking, I was not obstructing view or causing cars to cross onto the other side of the road. I do admit I am in the wrong, but not for yellows, for parking on a grass verge ��

It was a busy weekend so all other spots were taken. If you want more of a laugh, as some posters say they would love to be in a car with me to see what I get up to. I drive for a living! I do about 200km a year and have 0 points or previous fines.

Not laughing at you at all.

Considering your posts I'd have to say again that your best option is to pay the €40 and forget about it.

Your other option is to go to court and argue that you should be allowed to circumvent the yellow lines by parking on the grass.

Any vehicle can load/unload on double yellows

Where did you see this?

Checked with someone who knows this stuff.

Where there are yellow lines, they apply to both sides unless there is a clearly defined parking space.

So ticket is valid.

Re the loading/unloading. It is any vehicle but they must be actively loading and unloading throughout the duration with Max 30 min. You can't load for 5 minutes and then grab a coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I live near a scenic spot and walk my dogs there almost every day of the year … with the lockdown and subsequent easing of restrictions inconsiderate and illegal parking has be come a total mess.

Parking up against ditches, footpaths, opposite entrances etc .. makes walking the road impossible.

The guards go down the odd day and dish out tickets but the reality is that if the car parks or safe legal places to park are full .. turn around and go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Darc19 wrote: »
    Checked with someone who knows this stuff.

Where there are yellow lines, they apply to both sides unless there is a clearly defined parking space.

So ticket is valid.

Re the loading/unloading. It is any vehicle but they must be actively loading and unloading throughout the duration with Max 30 min. You can't load for 5 minutes and then grab a coffee

I would agree with the first part. Even if there were no yellow lines, it would seem the area in which the OP was parked was a ‘grass verge’ and therefore parking is already prohibited otherwise. - so I would pay the FCN.

No prohibition of loading / unloading on double yellow lines was news to me. - where is that stated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

@op can you post a photo or street view of the spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yes, you are worse, you parked on the footpath (even if it was a grass verge).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Where did you see this?

Art 5(1)(e) of the1997 regs overrides the general prohibition for parking on double yellows for 30 minutes of loading/unloading and us not restricted to goods vehicles.

( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

Marcusm wrote: »
    Art 5(1)(e) of the1997 regs overrides the general prohibition for parking on double yellows for 30 minutes of loading/unloading and us not restricted to goods vehicles.

( e ) a prohibition on the parking of a vehicle imposed by article 36(2)(a) shall not apply to a vehicle parked while goods are being loaded in or on to it or unloaded from it, for a period not exceeding thirty minutes from the commencement of the parking.

Is the mention of "goods" specific to commercial goods (or commercial taxed vehicle) in other words can I park a car outside the takeaway on double yellows while I pick up my phone order?

Advertisement