Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

straight wrote: »
    I'm not in it for the money. I'd say most farmers aren't but I feel for those being led up the garden path in the hope of high profits. There's some farmers then that think they're Jeff bezos of Elon musk or the like. My advice to anyone is don't farm for the money alone. Its a lifestyle first and foremost.

Can't argue with that response to be fair.

Has anyone any experience of culturing mastitis pathogens on plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Brother got a voice mail yesterday....dept hygiene inspection ill be out to you in 10 or 15 minutes.

He passed anyway . Got some fright do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

How's breeding going? I'm 32 days in and left off the bull tonight. Sexed on cows is running at about 60 % so far. About 65% sticking to first service overall which is poor going for here. They seem to have got off to a bad start but hopefully they will hold a bit better and come over 70% at least. I usually only do 3 weeks of Ai and leave off the angus. I sold weaned fr heifer calves this year for 600 euro and I think if I sold angus at 2 - 3 weeks old for 200 euro I'd nearly have more out of them. Cows are back in milk the last few days as they're voting off peak. It was good while it lasted. I got nearly 1100 litres per cow for the month of May.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Brother got a voice mail yesterday....dept hygiene inspection ill be out to you in 10 or 15 minutes.

He passed anyway . Got some fright do.

I thought you were saying he passed away for a second. I know lads get a fright over such inspections but why like. Would take a bord bia or any other inspection here any day. Have had a lad drive into the yard 2 years ago to inspect the parlour and ask a few questions, was grand like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How's breeding going? I'm 32 days in and left off the bull tonight. Sexed on cows is running at about 60 % so far. About 65% sticking to first service overall which is poor going for here. They seem to have got off to a bad start but hopefully they will hold a bit better and come over 70% at least. I usually only do 3 weeks of Ai and leave off the angus. I sold weaned fr heifer calves this year for 600 euro and I think if I sold angus at 2 - 3 weeks old for 200 euro I'd nearly have more out of them. Cows are back in milk the last few days as they're voting off peak. It was good while it lasted. I got nearly 1100 litres per cow for the month of May.
    What was your 6 week calving rate this year if over 60% non return rate is poor for you?
    Over 60% non return from first serve would be excellent especially if you used some sexed

We had 65% conception to 1st serve last year and 92% 6 week calving rate

On the heifer calves, we sold them for 420 at 3 around weeks old
    Hopefully there's still demand for some next spring but I don't expect that they'll go for that price tbh

What does the 1100l/cow work out in solids/cow?
    Ours did just short of 70 kgs for the month

• Advertisement

What was your 6 week calving rate this year if over 60% non return rate is poor for you?
    Over 60% non return from first serve would be excellent especially if you used some sexed

Hopefully there's still demand for some next spring but I don't expect that they'll go for that price tbh

6 week calving rate was 86%. I just thought I'm getting more repeats from Ai this year. It could be that I got a run of later calvers coming in heat at the start.

May is a long month for my co-op so it helps. They don't actually report the solids but they were running at about 2.2kg per day so it works out around the 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

How do you calculate non return rate?

60kgms for the month here, a bit of catching up to do

dar31 wrote: »
    How do you calculate non return rate?

60kgms for the month here, a bit of catching up to do

Just what cows repeated from first serve into what number was served in first 21 days

Ours was 57% lower than last year for us but we're after finding out we've low iodine in the cows so hopefully that's the reason why

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Unless you're passed 42 days surely conception to first service cant be known fully for those that were served in the first 21 days? Cows did about 63 here as well, including the bit going to calves so sold about 58. Butterfat percentage is killing me here.
    Correcting the last few collections but grass quality gone to **** so what I'm gaining in bf I'm losing in p and litres

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Approx 68 kg for may (16 collections) . happy enough as about 35. percent heifers.

Breeding going well but am very cautious as some culls we didn't serve haven't come back into heat, so that could be happening with the milkers too.

If the cows are incalf it's going to be a hectic first half of February. We intend to adjust the lambing dates accordingly.

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    Unless you're passed 42 days surely conception to first service cant be known fully for those that were served in the first 21 days? Cows did about 63 here as well, including the bit going to calves so sold about 58. Butterfat percentage is killing me here.
    Correcting the last few collections but grass quality gone to **** so what I'm gaining in bf I'm losing in p and litres

I write down the cows on a white board in the parlour as they're served. I x the repeats then as they come in. So I just count the x's and divide by the number served at that stage iykwim.

I write down the cows on a white board in the parlour as they're served. I x the repeats then as they come in. So I just count the x's and divide by the number served at that stage iykwim.

But that's only non return rate

Can't calculate conception rate till breeding is over

But that's only non return rate

Can't calculate conception rate till breeding is over

They'd be close enough though. There's always a few surprises at calving when one calves a way later than you think. So then you could say you can't calculate conception rate until calving. And of course conception is one thing, but the cow has to sustain the pregnancy after.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Store manager just after having a go at us, over going above his head over buying out of date drum of acid, didnt care i was after dumping a few days milk, id thought i was due a apology haha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Store manager just after having a go at us, over going above his head over buying out of date drum of acid, didnt care i was after dumping a few days milk, id thought i was due a apology haha

Are you not due a big cheque?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭jaymla627

tanko wrote: »
    Are you not due a big cheque?

Zero correspondence from their side since, apart from this today, had left it on my side as had a world of work to catch up on, will be phonecalls made monday and will take it up from their, their disdain for their suppliers is on another level, the whole structure in the organisation needs to be looked at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

Cows back 2litres on this mornings collection...grass quality now an issue as we hit the bad residuals left during the extremely wet weather at last grazing.

Be gentle with them....its you it's going to cost..

alps wrote: »
    Cows back 2litres on this mornings collection...grass quality now an issue as we hit the bad residuals left during the extremely wet weather at last grazing.

Hit that drop during the week, was actually closer to 2.5 L had cut the meal by a kilo so a double whammy for em. Went into a few old paddocks the last day or two and ironically it has em back up a bit as the grass didn't take off as vigorously I reckon. Lorry driver will be giving out with the yo yoing of the tank

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Every paddock topped or baled in last month here ,6 of 18 baled rest topped ,v glad I did it for reasons you’ve outlined

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Same here and we're oad milking so when grass goes wrong it really hits them. Baled 15percemt of the grazing block yday, hard for us to bale on time because you could be baling an acre and you can't really be annoying the contractor to do that.. topped anything grazed in the last week,will take a couple of weeks to sort things out id say..growth should power on with the forecast too which is a good complaint all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Any arrabawn suppliers missing a collection on the milkedln and herdapp apps. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

orm0nd wrote: »
    Any arrabawn suppliers missing a collection on the milkedln and herdapp apps. ?

On herd app and my account on Arrabawn site …on a different note have any Arrabawn suppliers seen wild swings in there solids in last week ?? ….also on Saturday and mostly Sunday collections that test can be off compared to rest of week

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Rang the knackery here Monday morning (forgot it was a BH) for a cow. Lucky it wasn’t open as the same cow ate 3kg in the parlour this morning. She was barely in it on Monday. She had a huge swelling under her jaw, wasn’t eating and could barely breath and not responding to treatment. Decided Monday to try different antibiotics and low and behold she’s on the road to recovery. One lucky cow and happy farmer. Whether she’s gets any milk back is another question

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Rang the knackery here Monday morning (forgot it was a BH) for a cow. Lucky it wasn’t open as the same cow ate 3kg in the parlour this morning. She was barely in it on Monday. She had a huge swelling under her jaw, wasn’t eating and could barely breath and not responding to treatment. Decided Monday to try different antibiotics and low and behold she’s on the road to recovery. One lucky cow and happy farmer. Whether she’s gets any milk back is another question

At least you'll have a cull cow if she doesn't

We had a meningitis cow 2 years ago, she was in a bad way, got stuck in the corner of a drain and couldn't herself out
    Dad gave up and rang the knackery
    I decided I'd have a go on my own, went and made up a halter, put it on her and tied the end to loader
    Led her out up to the yard and into a secure pen

Took a couple of weeks but we got her some way right and managed to get her into the factory

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Great when things like that happen. Makes up for some of the other ****e

whelan2 wrote: »

We had a bad run of loosing cows at the time so I said **** it I'll do my best I'm not letting another one out the gate in the knckery truck

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

We had a bad run of loosing cows at the time so I said **** it I'll do my best I'm not letting another one out the gate in the knckery truck

It’s great for morale when one pulls through. She’s an awkward sort (Norwegian red) and I reckon it stood to her also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

vh praser is no longer on the active list. is he still in production or is he in the naughty corner for being too holsteiny

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

whelan2 wrote: »

Yeah i had one last year that beef plan saved for me.milking grand this year

Advertisement