Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭White Clover

orm0nd wrote: »
    Always kept sheep here along side dairy cows. And took some sh1t on here and other forums.

Management is the key and no 2 farms are the same and I wouldn't tell anyone how to run theirs and expect the same in return.

I wouldn't say I was telling anyone how to run their farms, just merely stating that I found block grazing and back fencing to be beneficial to grass growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

Got a carbon intensity figure on my milk statement today. 1.06.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jonopat

Is this level of production possible on grazed grass and that amount of ration?
    https://twitter.com/Aiden_C7/status/1405180123071094784?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

jonopat wrote: »
    Is this level of production possible on grazed grass and that amount of ration?
    https://twitter.com/Aiden_C7/status/1405180123071094784?s=19

Fourth lactation cow ….yeadh def possible

• Registered Users Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    Got a carbon intensity figure on my milk statement today. 1.06.

Whatvdoes that signify? I guess its a marketing measurement..

The dail made sure last night that you can discount it as a measure of your environmental effort..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I wouldn't say I was telling anyone how to run their farms, just merely stating that I found block grazing and back fencing to be beneficial to grass growth.

I wasn't referring to you specifically ( sorry if it came across as such )

I agree with you totally re block grazing and back fencing. If you search my posts in the sheep forum they will verify same.

We never allow sheep in longer than 48 hours after the cows. and includes closing for the winter.

It took us years to perfect the system and get the infrastructure in place anyhow I promise not to mention the white vermin any more in the dairy thread

alps wrote: »
    Whatvdoes that signify? I guess its a marketing measurement..

The dail made sure last night that you can discount it as a measure of your environmental effort..

I don't have a clue what it means. It's calculated from the questionnaire on my most recent bord bia inspection. I'm wondering is it about average or what

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Mine was 1.02. Another load of bollox and a new stick to beat us with

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

degetme wrote: »

More Carbon coming from the departments arse

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I don't have a clue what it means. It's calculated from the questionnaire on my most recent bord bia inspection. I'm wondering is it about average or what
    Did your co-op or Bord Bia send you any prior communication as to what this figure is. It's very unprofessional of them that you see this figure on your milk statement without any explanation.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    Did your co-op or Bord Bia send you any prior communication as to what this figure is. It's very unprofessional of them that you see this figure on your milk statement without any explanation.

I wouldn't expect any more from them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Growth fell off a cliff here, pegs nearly impossible to get into the ground. There is rain forecast but will take 50mm to properly turn it around here ha, so I'm stopping topping for the minute. Milking block sr is only 2.5cows/ha, that's our saving grace the minute.

degetme wrote: »

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The thing I don't like is how everyone knows your business now.
    Bord bia do the inspections, get the photographs, know your purchases and then it's all shared with your milk buyers.

20210618-145725.jpg

20210618-145803.jpg

It's not as rosy as farmers think it'll be.

20210617-120509.jpg

Granted there's different farming systems in Norway.

The thing I don't like is how everyone knows your business now.
    Bord bia do the inspections, get the photographs, know your purchases and then it's all shared with your milk buyers.

What's shared with your supplier? Outside of your pass/fail status, what else do they get?

Bord Bia run an accreditation system. All business buyers of our product require either independent accreditation or buyer accreditation of the whole production system.

I would be of the opinion that we are in a far better place having bord bia do our inspections rather than Danone or Nestle.

Boron ..great for leafy grazing ground and drought proofing.
    Not great if you want silage stem bulk.

Lesson learned.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Growth fell off a cliff here, pegs nearly impossible to get into the ground. There is rain forecast but will take 50mm to properly turn it around here ha, so I'm stopping topping for the minute. Milking block sr is only 2.5cows/ha, that's our saving grace the minute.

Our grass group mentor says topping is cheating. Last resort in his opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,244 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Look if it works for you, who cares ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Everyone to there own but I’m calling that bull**** ,if u have top top we all have to do it ,not doing if makes a bad situation worse ,wether u have to top or mow for bales every paddock needs to see a mower before end may snd again in July ,and top in June depending on weather etc

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Everyone to there own but I’m calling that bull**** ,if u have top top we all have to do it ,not doing if makes a bad situation worse ,wether u have to top or mow for bales every paddock needs to see a mower before end may snd again in July ,and top in June depending on weather etc

Mechanical removal he calls it. Last resort. Bales more ideal if you have to resort to mechanical removal. Ah he's full of guff anyway. U know yourself, tis all grand on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭1373

Grass group mentor , what a title

1373 wrote: »
    Grass group mentor , what a title

Don't set your sights so low lad.

Following a bit of an eye opening lesson over Christmas from a colleague regarding his profitability, we decided to feed far stronger this year than we normally would. (only way to find out was tondo it for ourselves)

Our herd has a PD of minus 24 kg, so I would have been aprehensive about their capability to produce.

I wont make any assertions as to what the eventual conclusions of this project will be, but by **** are they producing??

Turned €11.76 / day for May at a feed input cost of €1.35..

Excited to see what the figures from a full year will throw up..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Following a bit of an eye opening lesson over Christmas from a colleague regarding his profitability, we decided to feed far stronger this year than we normally would. (only way to find out was tondo it for ourselves)

Our herd has a PD of minus 24 kg, so I would have been aprehensive about their capability to produce.

I wont make any assertions as to what the eventual conclusions of this project will be, but by **** are they producing??

Have you put in what it would look like at different milk and feed prices? Any difference in conception rates showing yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

No need for that level imo
    If any way at all on the ball with the grass once a year seeing a mower between topping/premowing/bales is fine

We've 12 / 18 paddocks either topped or mowed for bales so far, 2 more are reseeds
    Rest we'll try mow for bales over the next couple of weeks
    Only needs to be corrected once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Is that a farm or a golf course you're running there mj! Would agree though I'm topping alot more than normal this year. Combination of poor growth and poor graze outs in May due to weather, followed by a burst of growth with a lot of N in grass to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

We find pre mowing is very successful here. Being doing it for years, I know it’s not everyone’s cup of a tea and a bit more labor intensive but the cows love it and clean paddocks very well and we get a good regrowth as we don’t mow it to tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭ted_182

Whats far stronger? 4 kgs up from 1?

Advertisement