Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭older by the day

Passed the fields tonight, they are as flat as pan cakes, with the docks standing up. This is a sickening job sometimes. It will be dry from tomorrow evening to Friday night. There will be fs flying down the phone if it won't be picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That would depend, there'd be some difference between Michelstown and Rockchapel, ye've had a particularly bad run of it this year but by and large south Cork is not the worst part of the country to grow grass, to put out mildly.

Very few places have problems growing grass, utilising and harvesting it can be a separate issue. The difference between east and west cork alone is massive in terms of rainfall and terrain. Even within our own group, I'm furthest west and I'm mid cork and would have a lot more rain than the lads on the eastern side most years. Said before drought is never a serious issue here, may slow things down. A wet year on the other hand can really fcuk the show, ala 2012

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Passed the fields tonight, they are as flat as pan cakes, with the docks standing up. This is a sickening job sometimes. It will be dry from tomorrow evening to Friday night. There will be fs flying down the phone if it won't be picked up.

That's the sound track to most contractors lives at the moment.alot of chopping and changing going on this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭straight

K.G. wrote: »
    That's the sound track to most contractors lives at the moment.alot of chopping and changing going on this year

Teagasc recommend may 29th before heading or sometime like that but I'm afraid everyone can't cut the one day. Feck it, it will all get done eventually. Contractors are working their asses off in fairness. The queue jumping by the loudest voices does annoy me but that's life like.

Green&Red wrote: »
    When you say bales are you talking about paddocks that you take out?

Cut here on May 26th, small enough crop but I'm expecting the quality to be there

I try something different every year but was disappointed with the amount of bales I got from cleaning paddocks last year. Will fertilise 1st cut ground for 2nd cut bales this year. Baling 3 - 4 bales per acre isn't worth the hassle I think. I'd prefer to pre mow although I've never tried it before. Struggle with the quality silage to be honest. Paid top dollar for high quality bales in 2019 and I saw feck all difference in the tank from them so I'm not sure about the whole thing. Cut my pit early last year and all stock did better off it alright I'd say. Going to test the pit every year from now on. I wonder when a paddock goes too strong for the cows and you bale it does that turn into rocket fuel? I'm thinking the best stuff would be from 14 - 1600 covers down for 24 - 36 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    I try something different every year but was disappointed with the amount of bales I got from cleaning paddocks last year. Will fertilise 1st cut ground for 2nd cut bales this year. Baling 3 - 4 bales per acre isn't worth the hassle I think. I'd prefer to pre mow although I've never tried it before. Struggle with the quality silage to be honest. Paid top dollar for high quality bales in 2019 and I saw feck all difference in the tank from them so I'm not sure about the whole thing. Cut my pit early last year and all stock did better off it alright I'd say. Going to test the pit every year from now on. I wonder when a paddock goes too strong for the cows and you bale it does that turn into rocket fuel? I'm thinking the best stuff would be from 14 - 1600 covers down for 24 - 36 hours.

All these surplus paddocks that are cut are far from the rocket fuel some seem to think they are ,there is stemmy grass ,high in n and certain amount of cow ****e going to the bale .best quality silage is made first 2 weeks in may ,second cut can be hit and miss if it. Can be cut at 30/40 days max you’ll have great quality

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I don't milk off the pit. Use bales and grass for that when possible. I'll get the pit tested this year out of interest. Never tested before as its hard to get the quality sometimes around here.

So is it second cut bales you milk off? Why would you use those instead of first cut silage?

I’d agree with Mahony on the bales off paddocks, ****e in = ****e out, if it’s stemmy going in you’ve the same issue when you open it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Stemmy paddock bales are best fed in October/November when grass gets watery, and also go fairly well in April to counteract the lush, leafy second round grass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Not if it needs 5k of nuts to make cows milk
    2nd cut in 2 weeks here

Used to be proud to have the biggest crop of first cut silage around, it was a false economy tbh
    Still get same yield over 3 cuts and doesn't cost a whole pile more

Some might say that you're giving that 5k to the contractor and fertilizer merchant for the extra cut for the same volume of silage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

whelan2 wrote: »
    My point being not everyone can do 3 cuts....anyway just back from getting cattle out of the bog. First time in about 20 years they got in there.

What about not grazing and cutting early may?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,243 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What about not grazing and cutting early may?

No. There would be old grass on it from over the winter. It depends on the spring weather get the last 2 years you couldn't graze it until the end of march st least. 90 acres in it . You wouldn't get out to spread fertiliser on it either most springs

So is it second cut bales you milk off? Why would you use those instead of first cut silage?

I’d agree with Mahony on the bales off paddocks, ****e in = ****e out, if it’s stemmy going in you’ve the same issue when you open it

Bit of everything really I suppose. Am not long at this craic really and I'm just trying to learn the best way. I'd probably favour 2nd cut bales but the way things were the last few years all my bales were in front of the pit in one pile so I had to use them in whatever order they came in really. I never really noticed much of a difference in the tank. Cows are winding down in November anyway and they tip away in the spring until they get grass ASAP. Don't calve until Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

No. There would be old grass on it from over the winter. It depends on the spring weather get the last 2 years you couldn't graze it until the end of march st least. 90 acres in it . You wouldn't get out to spread fertiliser on it either most springs

Would you not consider sheep?
    Even lease the grazing for the winter to a sheepman

Would you not consider sheep?
    Even lease the grazing for the winter to a sheepman

Ha. I did that. Then we got a real cold spring with no growth and no grass for the cows. When the grass did grow it was lovely but I couldn't let the cows out as no grass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Some might say that you're giving that 5k to the contractor and fertilizer merchant for the extra cut for the same volume of silage

Yes good point, but I'm spreading less fert per cut than previously- 80 units for 1st, 70 for 2nd and 60 for 3rd

Would have been 100 units of N for 1st abd 2nd cut previously
    2nd cut generally was as big as 1st cut

Contractor is charging 90e per cut vs 120 previously
    So bit more expensive that way but I've much more options with that silage than all bulky stuff

We'd have had 7/8t DM/crops handy with previous system, harvester be on its knees

Cows milking much better in spring and autumn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Put silage here is dry cow grub so aiming for low 70s dmd 25/30% dm ,2 cuts .silage for Milker’s is baled with aim to cut early may ,paddocks /fields are then topped and fertiliser /get slurry throughout summer with aim to cut after 30:35 days and get high 70s low 80s dmd .13 acres Maize also down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭White Clover

Ha. I did that. Then we got a real cold spring with no growth and no grass for the cows. When the grass did grow it was lovely but I couldn't let the cows out as no grass

Were the sheep roaming over the whole farm?

Were the sheep roaming over the whole farm?

No left 20% they weren't on but there was no growth. Can't remember the year, could have been 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭cosatron

No left 20% they weren't on but there was no growth. Can't remember the year, could have been 2009.

i think sheep do to much damage to grass on established leys. Great job on reseeded ground to thicken it up but that's about it.

Only way to manage them so as to have grass in spring is to block graze and back fence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭farisfat

What's road access like.....I graze some very wet land in February and March good access and on of grazing.
    Fertilizer has to be spread with a quad and spreader.

These are the furthest away fields. Road access ok. But tbh they csn be totally saturated and you'd be doing more harm than good

cosatron wrote: »
    i think sheep do to much damage to grass on established leys. Great job on reseeded ground to thicken it up but that's about it.

I wouldn't agree with that. Sheep back on the farm here since 2017 after being absent for over 20 years. There has been a very noticeable improvement in the quality and thickness of the sward.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,226 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I wouldn't agree with that. Sheep back on the farm here since 2017 after being absent for over 20 years. There has been a very noticeable improvement in the quality and thickness of the sward.

Neighbour who milks also has hoggets grazing for the winter. Tbh he's way ahead of mise with bovines only grazing. Don't know what quantities of fert he spreads. But he seems to be getting very high bulks of silage and grazing. The trick with sheep as with any grazing is have them on and off that ground. Mob grazing a fancy way of putting it.
    It's diversity of biology in it's own right.

what we found that when you let sheep out on the paddocks at the back end of year, they graze it too bare by their nature at a time when the grass and soil is trying to recover after a hard years grazing and the sheep doesn't give the soil structure and grass time to recover. We tried it a couple of times and we wouldn't be doing it again. Only time we use sheep is on reseeded ground. Now that might be just due to our location, soil type, weather etc.

cosatron wrote: »
    what we found that when you let sheep out on the paddocks at the back end of year, they graze it too bare by their nature at a time when the grass and soil is trying to recover after a hard years grazing and the sheep doesn't give the soil structure and grass time to recover. We tried it a couple of times and we wouldn't be doing it again. Only time we use sheep is on reseeded ground. Now that might be just due to our location, soil type, weather etc.

If they're over grazing it's not the sheeps fault!

If they're over grazing it's not the sheeps fault!

they weren't over grazing it and to be honest i knew that would be the reply. You have 2 posters on here saying that they don't agree with sheep grazing diary farms due to the nature of their farms. So is it very difficult for you to accept a differing opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Is that the reason you got back into them or do you just like hardship! I can see why pre quota lads had them on milking block but now surely a few extra cows would be as profitable and less hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Always kept sheep here along side dairy cows. And took some sh1t on here and other forums.

Management is the key and no 2 farms are the same and I wouldn't tell anyone how to run theirs and expect the same in return.

• Advertisement

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Is that the reason you got back into them or do you just like hardship! I can see why pre quota lads had them on milking block but now surely a few extra cows would be as profitable and less hassle?

I just like the hardship!

Advertisement