Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I never said they weren't and I never commented on anyones ages :D I cycle on the greenway, I walk on the greenway, scoot on the greenway, run on the greenway... I know the greenway is for everyone. My complaint isn't regarding people cycling on the greenway, I'm complaining about people cycling way too fast on a footpath that also has pedestrians.

I never have any complaints about people who rent out the bikes from Carriganore and go for a cycle, the people who I observe going too fast are always the on racing bikes and head to toe in lycra. :pac:

I agree regarding people walking 4 abreast, especially during covid.. sometimes I have to walk over on the train tracks to try keep a safe distance between me and them.

My only real complaint is people need to have patience with children. I try my best to keep my four year old out of cyclists way but sometimes she runs ahed while playing and a cyclist comes out of nowhere.... the only point is kids aren't adults, they won't always stay "to the left", cyclists need to have patience.

And parents need to teach their kids that they need to stay to the left, it's not hard. Look at it this way when on a street in town do you keep your 4 year old next to you? Do you let it run ahead and get in peoples way, let it run out onto the cycle path even? I know the answer, you keep your child next to you because you know the dangers. The greenway is just a fancy path with the same dangers as a regular street path.

spookwoman wrote: »
    And parents need to teach their kids that they need to stay to the left, it's not hard. Look at it this way when on a street in town do you keep your 4 year old next to you? Do you let it run ahead and get in peoples way, let it run out onto the cycle path even? I know the answer, you keep your child next to you because you know the dangers. The greenway is just a fancy path with the same dangers as a regular street path.

Yes when I am in town I keep my kid next to me because there is cars around and its very dangerous. Cycling paths are for cyclists only so I would keep my kid out of cycling paths.

I was cycling on the greenway on Sunday and I had to stop for kids a few times. I cycled at a reasonable speed and came to a near stop when needed. The greenway is not a place for doing 50 km/h on a bike is all I am saying.

You expect parents to control their children on the greenway the same way they would in town when next to a busy road? I expect most parents bring their kids to the greenway because its a safe place for the kids to get exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

spookwoman wrote: »

No it’s not ,the greenway is a place where everybody can go in nature to get away from traffic and regular street paths it’s not a place for cyclists to use for time trials etc I use the greenway regularly and on two separate occasions I’ve nearly come to blows with cyclists because they think they own the place and fly up and down it with total disregard for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes when I am in town I keep my kid next to me because there is cars around and its very dangerous. Cycling paths are for cyclists only so I would keep my kid out of cycling paths.

I was cycling on the greenway on Sunday and I had to stop for kids a few times. I cycled at a reasonable speed and came to a near stop when needed. The greenway is not a place for doing 50 km/h on a bike is all I am saying.

You expect parents to control their children on the greenway the same way they would in town when next to a busy road? I expect most parents bring their kids to the greenway because its a safe place for the kids to get exercise.

100% agree with you. I love the greenway and use it for walking, dog walking and cycling,as indeed our Blueway in Clonmel.
    The only trouble I've seen is the lycra brigade, either runners who dare not slow down in case they fail to make their personal best or cyclists at speed who refuse to allow for the fact that it's not their own racetrack.
    I haven't been down the tunnel end recently but I avoid it now because of the refusal of cyclists to dismount.

cml387 wrote: »
    100% agree with you. I love the greenway and use it for walking, dog walking and cycling,as indeed our Blueway in Clonmel.
    The only trouble I've seen is the lycra brigade, either runners who dare not slow down in case they fail to make their personal best or cyclists at speed who refuse to allow for the fact that it's not their own racetrack.
    I haven't been down the tunnel end recently but I avoid it now because of the refusal of cyclists to dismount.

Exactly, the Greenway is designed for a leisurely cycle, not to do time trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

nomoedoe wrote: »
    No it’s not ,the greenway is a place where everybody can go in nature to get away from traffic and regular street paths it’s not a place for cyclists to use for time trials etc I use the greenway regularly and on two separate occasions I’ve nearly come to blows with cyclists because they think they own the place and fly up and down it with total disregard for everyone else.

Ah hear come on. On a good sunny day kids run amok no matter what. Then you have groups of ppl who decide its okay to stand and have a chat with Johnny & Mary and they block the entire path. Others dont even think to look before they walk in a different direction FFS. Its not entirely the cyclists or runners fault. If you really want to immerse yourself in nature and get away from any sort of "traffic" then head out to a beach or up the mountains. Coming to blows with someone whilst trying to be all Zen ain't a good look TBH :confused:

Ah hear come on. On a good sunny day kids run amok no matter what. Then you have groups of ppl who decide its okay to stand and have a chat with Johnny & Mary and they block the entire path. Others dont even think to look before they walk in a different direction FFS. Its not entirely the cyclists or runners fault. If you really want to immerse yourself in nature and get away from any sort of "traffic" then head out to a beach or up the mountains. Coming to blows with someone whilst trying to be all Zen ain't a good look TBH :confused:

Where did I say I instigated the coming to blows ?,it was two different cyclists who jumped of their bikes and took issue with me because I simply reminded them to use their bell and slow down,I walk and cycle the greenway numerous times a week and the only issues I’ve ever had or see other people have was with the lads head to toe in Lycra thinking they are doing a stage of the Tour de France!

The Greenway is for everybody so what if Mary and Johnny want to block the path for a chat you slow down make your presence known and politely thank them as you pass it’s not hard to be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

nomoedoe wrote: »

I am one of those “lads head to toe in Lycra” and I think it is wrong for racing cyclists to be using the greenway. It is just not suitable for either party.

It seems to be the way of the world these days that people just walk in front of cars and cyclists and generally not look where they are going. However, in this case I think the racing cyclists are in the wrong. The greenway is just not designed for speed simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Just a FYI, the correct term is Mamil :D

BBM77 wrote: »
    I am one of those “lads head to toe in Lycra” and I think it is wrong for racing cyclists to be using the greenway. It is just not suitable for either party.

It seems to be the way of the world these days that people just walk in front of cars and cyclists and generally not look where they are going. However, in this case I think the racing cyclists are in the wrong. The greenway is just not designed for speed simple as that.

I might have to get some lyrca myself actually. I've been cycling a lot lately in jeans and my a$$ is killing me after 20k :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I might have to get some lyrca myself actually. I've been cycling a lot lately in jeans and my a$$ is killing me after 20k

Jean's, awful things, gave up wearing them years ago

Wanderer78 wrote: »

What's your choice of flavour?

What's your choice of flavour?

Outdoor pants all the way, jeans are too restrictive, awful when wet also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Bad News - Greenway Waterford Bike Hire is closing down. Donal operated out of the WIT arena but they can't go there because of the vaccination centre so was force to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Bad News - Greenway Waterford Bike Hire is closing down. Donal operated out of the WIT arena but they can't go there because of the vaccination centre so was force to close.

Bet there is more to it than just that. I know the cost of insurance has been an issue for some of the hire companies.

Wake me up when it's all over.

:( Such a shame. Does that mean there is no where for people to rent bikes for the greenway now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

:( Such a shame. Does that mean there is no where for people to rent bikes for the greenway now?

There's another place down by the granary and there's also the Viking bike hire too on the Quay. He had over a 100 bikes so it's going to be a big loss for the Greenway. People are hoping he can be accommodated somewhere else.

Be was supposed to move into the lower carpark by the woods but eventually was told he couldn't due to health and safety reasons.

I believe Donal has been struggling for a while now, it's a shame, very nice guy so I believe. Insurance certainly isn't helping outdoor businesses, it has caused others to close, some being unable to get any cover at all, but unsure if this has been an issue for Donal.

It's very hard to make a living from such seasonal work and uncertainties, there really should be more supports for such businesses, I believe Donal invested a lot into it, including his time, and now its sad to see it go, I wish him the best. Unfortunately covid is gonna be really hard for many businesses, many won't survive, I fear government is gonna pull supports too quickly, exposing more

• Registered Users Posts: 14,545 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

So that was you? Would ya ever tan the cheeks at least....ðŸ˜

So that was you? Would ya ever tan the cheeks at least....ðŸ˜

...im very proud of my irish milk bottle white, thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭sporina

Shuttle bus from Dungarvan to Waterford before cycling the greenway?

We live in Cork - in an ideal world we would like to drive to Dungarvan, get a shuttle bus to Waterford, hire bike - cycle to Dungarvan - return bike - drive back to Cork.. any ideas?

sporina wrote: »
    Shuttle bus from Dungarvan to Waterford before cycling the greenway?

We live in Cork - in an ideal world we would like to drive to Dungarvan, get a shuttle bus to Waterford, hire bike - cycle to Dungarvan - return bike - drive back to Cork.. any ideas?

None of the bike hires are offering a shuttle bus because of covid restrictions but you could just get a bus Eireann bus from Dungarvan to Waterford the bus stop is only a few mins walk from the greenway car park in dungarvan

Have a look at https://www.waterfordgreenwaybikehire.com/ you can rent from Waterford and drop it off in dungarvan

had a fantastic day on the green way yday..

started from KMT - rented bikes at The Coach House.. they wer good but pity the seats could not be adjusted to move back/forth.. as a result my behind is v sore today - would have liked if I had been able to move seat back a bit.. ended up sitting on my backside bones to compensate.. sore today and made the cycle uncomfortable at times.. but thats a minor complaint - dunno if other bikes are adjustable seat wise? you could only lower-raise them..

we left later then planned - still we had 6 hrs to get from KMT - DG return... but cudda done with another hr... note to self for next time - had a decent lunch stop but wudda liked more time to just chill and take more pics..

so glad we did it on a week day - 'twasn't busy and anyone we met was v courteous and friendly - its such a great day out.. so relaxing.. listening to the birds etc..

and yeah to the portaloos 5km from DG - they wer not there last time I did it..

we had a fab lunch from Spar in DG - Abbeyside.. their deli is great.. ate it at a picnic looking out onto the water - class..

man the views wer epic..

ireland in good weather - in no rush to go abroad

sporina wrote: »
    had a fantastic day on the green way yday..

started from KMT - rented bikes at The Coach House.. they wer good but pity the seats could not be adjusted to move back/forth.. as a result my behind is v sore today - would have liked if I had been able to move seat back a bit.. ended up sitting on my backside bones to compensate.. sore today and made the cycle uncomfortable at times.. but thats a minor complaint - dunno if other bikes are adjustable seat wise? you could only lower-raise them..

we left later then planned - still we had 6 hrs to get from KMT - DG return... but cudda done with another hr... note to self for next time - had a decent lunch stop but wudda liked more time to just chill and take more pics..

so glad we did it on a week day - 'twasn't busy and anyone we met was v courteous and friendly - its such a great day out.. so relaxing.. listening to the birds etc..

and yeah to the portaloos 5km from DG - they wer not there last time I did it..

we had a fab lunch from Spar in DG - Abbeyside.. their deli is great.. ate it at a picnic looking out onto the water - class..

man the views wer epic..

ireland in good weather - in no rush to go abroad

glad you enjoyed, maybe try a pair of padded cycling shorts next time, lidl and aldi sell them from time to time, might help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Had a little look for the first time myself today too. Just walked a bit around Kilmacthomas. Amazing how busy the bike hire place was there. I have no idea what the place used to be like before, but I'd imagine the greenway has been good for it.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Had a little look for the first time myself today too. Just walked a bit around Kilmacthomas. Amazing how busy the bike hire place was there. I have no idea what the place used to be like before, but I'd imagine the greenway has been good for it.

has transformed kilmac, place is busy since it opened

glad you enjoyed, maybe try a pair of padded cycling shorts next time, lidl and aldi sell them from time to time, might help

thanks.. yes a pair of those would help for sure but still, the position of the saddle was wrong for me.. would like it further back (can use my quads better that way) - but not too sore today - see how I am tomorrow - the DOMS often don't hit me for 2 days post workout.. ekk

sporina wrote:
    thanks.. yes a pair of those would help for sure but still, the position of the saddle was wrong for me.. would like it further back (can use my quads better that way) - but not too sore today - see how I am tomorrow - the DOMS often don't hit me for 2 days post workout.. ekk

It's unusual that the saddle position couldn't be moved, had they altered them to prevent this, or was that the way they were manufactured? Ah its a good type of pain, absolutely perfect weather for this type of thing, Greenway is at its best right now, probably very busy though

It's unusual that the saddle position couldn't be moved, had they altered them to prevent this, or was that the way they were manufactured? Ah its a good type of pain, absolutely perfect weather for this type of thing, Greenway is at its best right now, probably very busy though

It could be raised/lowered - they said they didn't know of other bikes where the seats could be moved back/forth - would be interested to know if other co's have bikes with seats that can be adjusted in this way - anyone?

It wasn't busy at all - I was surprised.. but it was a weekday.. but I have a mate living in KMT and he told me yday that it hasn't been busy.. I'm surprised..

Have you done the whole route? Is it worth doing it from Waterford to DG? Been told Waterford - KCT is not worth doing..

PS not sore at all today - surprised.. thought i would be worse today - DOMS - fitter than I realise or else all the post cycle stretching worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

A much higher percentage of use goes on between Dungarvan and Kilmacthomas. The Waterford to Kilmac always seems quieter. I suppose the route to the Bilberry entrance is so bad that it has a impact on that section

Advertisement