Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deise Greenway. Cycle path. Waterford City to Dungarvan.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fugs!!

Does anyone know if the Greenway is safe at night for a cycle?
    I've done it loads of times. Its great fun as you think you're flying. Get a good headlight and a second light looking down at the front wheel. Wrap up well as it get really cold along by the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

The extension to kilmeaden is looking quite good from its northern end. Looks almost done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I walked a portion of the Greenway recently during autumn. The colours of all the leaves (especially past Mount Congreve) was breathtaking. Just a short walk with some friends of mine. We are blessed to have this Greenway (which is the longest in Ireland). I don't know whose idea it was to create the Greenway but they were definitely thinking ahead and thanks to them we have an incredible amenity which as transformed so many communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    The extension to kilmeaden is looking quite good from its northern end. Looks almost done!

What bit is that? Is there a link to Kilmeaden village or something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fricatus wrote: »
    What bit is that? Is there a link to Kilmeaden village or something?

That's exactly what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I walked a portion of the Greenway recently during autumn. The colours of all the leaves (especially past Mount Congreve) was breathtaking. Just a short walk with some friends of mine. We are blessed to have this Greenway (which is the longest in Ireland). I don't know whose idea it was to create the Greenway but they were definitely thinking ahead and thanks to them we have an incredible amenity which as transformed so many communities.

Autumn colours are always stunning, very vivid on the mountain as well

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ^^^better get my skates on and try walk this again, before its developed

You'll need wellies rather than skates.

You'll need wellies rather than skates.

Hahaha, ah the hiking boots are grand, hate wellies, always amazed to see a farmer walking the mountains in them, don't know how he does it, he bloody moves to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

What's the story with the Barrow Rail Bridge? Who pays for its upkeep when this path is up and running? Surely this thing is massive liability.

Besides that, the part between Wellington Bridge and Waterford was very scenic railway. This will be a great amenity if it ever gets completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    What's the story with the Barrow Rail Bridge? Who pays for its upkeep when this path is up and running?

Seems to be CIE for now. With maintenance cut to the bare minimum. Weed spraying mostly.
    Former Labour county councillor Denis North, who worked for CIE for 45 years, including 13 years operating the bridge, said the central span may fall into the River Barrow in years to come if it isn't maintained and returned to use.

Irish Rail CEO Jim Meade informed Mr North in May that there is no proposal to close the Barrow Bridge.

'The Barrow Bridge operating equipment is very old and requires significant resources to maintain and operate,' Mr Meade wrote.

He said: 'While the railway line is suspended, the focus of operation has been to support the Port of New Ross shipping operations in line with our statutory responsibility for the bridge operation.'

He said: 'In order to ensure the consistent delivery of the required shipping lane access for the Port of New Ross, we have reviewed the operation with the Port of New Ross Chief Executive and our Chief Civil engineer and propose to temporarily secure the bridge in the open position for shipping traffic, to improve the navigation controls and lighting on the bridge to a required standard and to allow the remote monitoring of bridge operations. The effect of this proposed change will ensure the reliability of the operation for maritime navigation and reduce our operations and infrastructure costs in the meantime.'

Mr North said leaving the bridge in the 'open' position indefinitely is not the way forward. (...)

'CIE have opened the bridge and plan to leave it in an open position all of the time. Effectively they want to abandon the bridge and if they do that we will never see a train going on that line again. There is a preservation order on the bridge.'

(...)

'I hate to see it being just left there. We saw what happened on the line from Waterford to Cork. They took out the span and just put in a scrapyard. It will rust away and fall into the river unless something is done. It should be opened to traffic but only when required,' Mr North said.
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/railway-bridge-being-left-to-rot-38879314.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

anyone know if it's permitted to use an e-scooter on the greenway? Cannot find any definite answer online

I'm on the lookout for a decent one during the sales

I know it's not legal to use them on public roads etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I doubt you'd be popular on an e-scooter to be honest. If only because they clearly go against the spirit of the whole enterprise! If you can walk then walk, if you have a bike then cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

anyone know if it's permitted to use an e-scooter on the greenway? Cannot find any definite answer online

Public places.
    A person (in this subsection referred to as the user) shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle

A no insurance charge is no laughing matter, dont do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

They need to get these put on a legal basis and then decide where they can be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I see loads of people on them out there ,whos going to stop you?

Its part of the "Greenway Code" but who even looks at that, 4 years on and people still walk on the right and dogs off the lead everywhere plus loads of cyclists flying up and down it thinking its their own personal track ,go out on the scooter if you want and dont worry about it!

14522799_1680429508942152_3632460256666201286_n.png?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=B6GSRPTTu4AAX-2awtj&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub2-1.fna&oh=cec64305a53c628c1875caa431e07bab&oe=601165FC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I see loads of people on them out there ,whos going to stop you?

Its part of the "Greenway Code" but who even looks at that, 4 years on and people still walk on the right and dogs off the lead everywhere plus loads of cyclists flying up and down it thinking its their own personal track ,go out on the scooter if you want

Do as you please Ireland, always had a problem following rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Forget about scooters it s amazing that some people out walking like to take over the entire width of the pathway, move at a snail's pace, stop to chat or take pics, let their kids run amuck etc etc. The path between Killoteran and Kilmeaden is particularly bad. Sure it's an amazing community facility but a little bit of courtesy by all it's user's would go a long way. Suppose it's just a sign of the times. We are all wrapped up in our own insular bubbles and the concept of community has become old fashioned. Instead we have become "social" media robots!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

That's going to be part of the Rosslare to Waterford greenway if it ever happens.

https://www.wexfordcoco.ie/community/recreational-and-community-development-projects/rosslare-to-waterford-city-greenway
    That line must be kept as a railway. Climate change, brexit etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anybody know if the council are planning on closing the car parks like they did last March?,i live near an entrance and the car park is full to capacity everyday and the greenway is packed with people,i passed by carriganore this afternoon and that car park look almost full like a busy day in the summer,the public health advice is to stay at home but if you see the greenway it doesn't look like people are listening to it!

Anybody know if the council are planning on closing the car parks like they did last March?,i live near an entrance and the car park is full to capacity everyday and the greenway is packed with people,i passed by carriganore this afternoon and that car park look almost full like a busy day in the summer,the public health advice is to stay at home but if you see the greenway it doesn't look like people are listening to it!

few people on the mountains yesterday also, but it was a fairly remote part of it, wouldnt surprise me if mahon falls and kilcloony had loads

• Advertisement

It's an awful shame to see Mount Congreves entrance from he Greenway closed, especially given the beautiful weather we had. I know it's due to Covid Restrictions but Jesus the place is outdoors and is bigger than the People's Park. Parents should also look after their kids as one nearly ran out in front of me picking flowers for their mother. I was out on the Greenway yesterday. Lots of people enjoying the good weather and it was a great experience.
    There was a lovely coffee van by Mount Congreve.

It's an awful shame to see Mount Congreves entrance from he Greenway closed, especially given the beautiful weather we had. I know it's due to Covid Restrictions but Jesus the place is outdoors and is bigger than the People's Park. Parents should also look after their kids as one nearly ran out in front of me picking flowers for their mother. I was out on the Greenway yesterday. Lots of people enjoying the good weather and it was a great experience. There was a lovely coffee van by Mount Congreve.

Ah kids are kids, it's impossible to keep permanent control of them in such an environment, us adults just always have to remember that, and to be wary of them wandering

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah kids are kids, it's impossible to keep permanent control of them in such an environment, us adults just always have to remember that, and to be wary of them wandering

I'm totally fine with that, it's just the Greenway can be a very dangerous place if you're a little curious tot running around unrestrained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

The Greenway can be a great place if you're a little curious tot running around unrestrained.

As Wanderer said, I believe it's up to us, as adults, to be more mindful of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I doubt you'd be popular on an e-scooter to be honest. If only because they clearly go against the spirit of the whole enterprise! If you can walk then walk, if you have a bike then cycle.

Pretty sure no motorised vehicles on greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Do as you please Ireland, always had a problem following rules.

Yep, large contribution to reason why people throw all their rubbish around likes of park, beaches, etc. No civic pride or responsibility, someone else's problem, councils problem etc... sure who's going to stop you common attitude.

Max Powers wrote:
    Yep, large contribution to reason why people throw all their rubbish around likes of park, beaches, etc. No civic pride or responsibility, someone else's problem, councils problem etc... sure who's going to stop you common attitude.

Ah human problem, not just confined to ourselves

I'm totally fine with that, it's just the Greenway can be a very dangerous place if you're a little curious tot running around unrestrained.

Not if cyclists are being careful and responsible.

Kids will be kids, if you want to avoid having to slow down for kids then go for a cycle out the Tramore road.

I live right next to the greenway so I am always going up and down the thing. When I am on the bike and I see kids I slow right down, make sure they aren't going to run out and I go past them at a very slow pace.... It's up to cyclists to be careful of pedestrians in my opinion.

Who pi$$ me off on the greenway are the middle aged lads on the racing bikes, dressed in head to toe like they are in the tour de France and get all cranky when they have to slow down a bit for a pedestrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not if cyclists are being careful and responsible.

Kids will be kids, if you want to avoid having to slow down for kids then go for a cycle out the Tramore road.

I live right next to the greenway so I am always going up and down the thing. When I am on the bike and I see kids I slow right down, make sure they aren't going to run out and I go past them at a very slow pace.... It's up to cyclists to be careful of pedestrians in my opinion.

Who pi$$ me off on the greenway are the middle aged lads on the racing bikes, dressed in head to toe like they are in the tour de France and get all cranky when they have to slow down a bit for a pedestrian.

It's up to EVERYONE to be careful. Most of the problems I've seen seem to be groups of walkers and runner not staying to the side they are supposed to be on, other times it's them walking 3 or 4 abreast and expecting everyone else to get out of their way. It's same with lone walkers, stay left and pass on the right.

If you don't like middle aged people in lycra then why don't you find another place to walk because they are entitled to be there as much as you are.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    It's up to EVERYONE to be careful. Most of the problems I've seen seem to be groups of walkers and runner not staying to the side they are supposed to be on, other times it's them walking 3 or 4 abreast and expecting everyone else to get out of their way. It's same with lone walkers, stay left and pass on the right.

If you don't like middle aged people in lycra then why don't you find another place to walk because they are entitled to be there as much as you are.

I never said they weren't and I never commented on anyones ages :D I cycle on the greenway, I walk on the greenway, scoot on the greenway, run on the greenway... I know the greenway is for everyone. My complaint isn't regarding people cycling on the greenway, I'm complaining about people cycling way too fast on a footpath that also has pedestrians.

I never have any complaints about people who rent out the bikes from Carriganore and go for a cycle, the people who I observe going too fast are always the on racing bikes and head to toe in lycra. :pac:

I agree regarding people walking 4 abreast, especially during covid.. sometimes I have to walk over on the train tracks to try keep a safe distance between me and them.

My only real complaint is people need to have patience with children. I try my best to keep my four year old out of cyclists way but sometimes she runs ahed while playing and a cyclist comes out of nowhere.... the only point is kids aren't adults, they won't always stay "to the left", cyclists need to have patience.

Advertisement