Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

top o the wiki page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid's_Tale_(TV_series)
    In December 2020, ahead of the fourth season premiere, the series was renewed for a fifth season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I am watching on RTE so it’s episode 2 I think
    I have to watch it pre recorded and fast forward the torture scenes . Gratuitous torture now in my opinion and unpleasant watching

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Was hoping myself that this word be the last and then two seasons covering the testaments,I think that would wrap it up nicely.

Dont know what else they can do with june

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

The Testaments is set 15 years after The Handmaids Tale so if they want to they can write season after season to fill in the blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm at RTE pace but it just seems to be they capture her, she escapes, captured again and now has escaped once more.

Was hoping the train would have got Janine, she is kind of annnoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The scene with June and Serena, was short but bloody hell :eek:
    Best episode of the season so far I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I've found this season to be rather ponderous and slow moving, was hoping we'd see more of the rebellion, rather than
    June being extricated to Canada away from all the action.

I'm also having major Aunt Lydia withdrawals at this stage...Ann Dowd is such a commanding presence in this series, I genuinely miss her scenes.

Still liking the show, but I'm getting somewhat frustrated as to where the storyline is headed. It was great seeing
    June and Serena's scenes together
    , very cathartic, however somewhat ruined by
    the rape scene between June and Luke
    afterwards. I guess it was meant to portray June claiming some sexual agency back, but it just came off as uncomfortable and creepy. You get the impression the way she was describing Serena to the embassador guy was really what she has become, or is becoming, herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'm also having major Aunt Lydia withdrawals at this stage...Ann Dowd is such a commanding presence in this series, I genuinely miss her scenes.

Yeah - she is definitely a driving force in the enjoyment of the show

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You get the impression the way she was describing Serena to the embassador guy was really what she has become, or is becoming, herself.

Yeah, I thought this too.
    The rage she spoke of was very evident in the scene with Serena. And will Luke want this damaged version of June...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I dont know if the show can remain interesting with practically everyone in Canada. They should have pivoted and tried to create a new main character perhaps involved in the resistance in Gilead rather than remain focussed on the June storyline which has got less interesting every episode.
    Was wondering what the scene of the two muslim girls in their headgear in the supermarket represented. I guess they looked like handmaids and that was the extent of it.

• Advertisement

Finding it very slow this season, the 2 of them spending most of the episode swimming in milk wasn't very exciting, hoping it picks up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I'm at RTE pace but it just seems to be they capture her, she escapes, captured again and now has escaped once more.

Was hoping the train would have got Janine, she is kind of annnoying.

One thing the show can't be faulted for is it's use of music. One of the best shows ever in that regard.

Radiohead was so chilling for that scene. Amazing.

4.7: Felt like two temperatures in the episode..
    gradual warming to the point in the hotel where June and Luke were reassuring each other.. and then cooling to the raw point at the end there.
    Slydice wrote: »
    or maybe they're pivoting more into the Fred and Serena story.
    seems like it

also this from earlier:
    Slydice wrote: »
    I'm making a guess that they are building up to a big war scene
    Canada to fall maybe..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Wonder will they wrap it up this season or has it been renewed?

They'll keep going with it as long as people are watching the garbage.

Hopefully Elisabeth Moss will want to move on to something better and they'll have no option but to finish it. Or maybe just continue without her, like Rick Grimes in Walking Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The writers seem to have it in mind that "being angry" is enough of a role for the lead character at this point. It isn't. For June to be a protagonist, she needs agency. Whether that's as simple as organising funding for the resistance in Canada while coming to terms with her trauma or going commando and leading teams into Gillead to try and rescue more civilians she needs to be doing *something* more than having angry rants to justify the supercilious smirk at the end of the episode. So far, she's only managed to rant and make others share her anger. All that anger is useless unless it's focused into action.

As it stands? Gillead are winning. June may have escaped to Canada to a community of refugees but she's not really doing anything to hurt Gillead from there. Her testimony may help convict the Waterfords but Gilead is arguably better off without Fred and Serena and will no doubt leave them to whatever punishment the Canadian / International courts give them.

I'm also curious as to where they're all getting the money to live on while carrying out their "activism" - presumably all assets in formerly American institutions and legal systems would have been lost to the new state - yet they're all busy working away as volunteers and driving around in cars etc. I mean, the Canadians are a famously nice people but I can't imagine them simply giving money to the presumably large number of US citizens that would have fled across their border during the civil war that resulted in the foundation of Gilead...

4.8: Hrrmmmm.. watching
    Junes testimony and I was like.. if Gilead get a copy of this.. that's a lot of people just been thrown under the bus. Not sure what's going to happen to Janine. Felt like they flagged up Aunt Irene killing herself with the music they used on the car ride out to her. Anyway, now I'm wondering if the story is aiming to a June kills the Waterfords or the Gilead invasion of Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can't remember the episode if it was 7 or 8
    but When they all go out shopping in the supermarket, for some mad reason with June I started thinking of Deutschland 83. the first episode has the East German agent in a West German supermarket gobsmacked by all the products on offer. I suppose in some ways Gilead's supermarkets were a bit more akin to East German ones or other communist states in the eighties. I just knew too, that June was going to lift something off a shelf and imagine a handmaid, before the two muslim girls passed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,456 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Now that ending sets up June going to war!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Sleepy wrote: »
    The writers seem to have it in mind that "being angry" is enough of a role for the lead character at this point. It isn't. For June to be a protagonist, she needs agency. Whether that's as simple as organising funding for the resistance in Canada while coming to terms with her trauma or going commando and leading teams into Gillead to try and rescue more civilians she needs to be doing *something* more than having angry rants to justify the supercilious smirk at the end of the episode. So far, she's only managed to rant and make others share her anger. All that anger is useless unless it's focused into action.

I disagree. I think this season is doing a great job of portraying the molten anger that stems from trauma, and how it just sits in you and makes you want to smash an entire house up, but you need to feel it. There is nowhere for it to go, that's the whole point.

I'm really liking this season and am so glad
    June has left Gilead.

Two things I don't understand though:
    1. Why do Fred and Serena get to be in "prison" in what looks like a spacious 4 star hotel suite?! It's actually kind of sickening.

2. Why does June stick with the name Nichole for the baby? She relented in a moment of extremely rare pity for Serena, as that was what she had named her. That's clearly shot to shit now, so how come it's not back to Holly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Because
    the baby's father is Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Fred spilling the beans will probably turn the tables on the Gilead regime, if June doesn't kill him first

• Registered Users Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I love Aunt Lydia but I hope she has a horrible death by the end

• Registered Users Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I think this season is brilliant, Moss does it again with an unbelievable performance in episode 9, who is playing in the out credits, it sounds like Autechre.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,176 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Shelga wrote: »
    I disagree. I think this season is doing a great job of portraying the molten anger that stems from trauma, and how it just sits in you and makes you want to smash an entire house up, but you need to feel it. There is nowhere for it to go, that's the whole point.
    Directionless rage might be a realistic response to trauma but it makes for a pretty boring story.

Focusing her rage into the motivation for June to fight back in some meaningful way (as she was trying to do while still in Gilead) gives license for the prolonged storytelling of a multi-series show. If she's not going to funnel that rage into action, they may as well finish the show with a "and they all lived unhappily ever after" card unless they're prepared to kill her off and / or switch focus to other characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Watching on RTE so June has just arrived in Canada .One thing that struck me was June apologising to Luke that she couldnt save Hannah and had left her in Gilead .But Luke himself left Gilead and Hannah and June behind and went to Canada.No sign of him feeling guity or apologise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Watching on RTE so June has just arrived in Canada .One thing that struck me was June apologising to Luke that she couldnt save Hannah and had left her in Gilead .But Luke himself left Gilead and Hannah and June behind and went to Canada.No sign of him feeling guity or apologise ?

That’s struck me too. He was just annoying me standing there looking at her. I can’t warm to him as her husband.

Also in the previous episode where he was complaining that June didn’t want to leave Gilead, it all seemed very self centred.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,949 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Luke didn't appear much in the book but he was never meant to be a particularly nice character. In the book it's mentioned that he seemed pretty happy to have control over Offred ("Offred"'s real name never appears in the book) in the early days of the Gilead takeover.

Last nights episode was the most boring one ever, they need to get a bit of action going and not one long tear fest between herself and Moira.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Last nights episode was the most boring one ever, they need to get a bit of action going and not one long tear fest between herself and Moira.

You can’t have violence and torture every week. Episodes are needed as a breather from that, and also to build other aspects of the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You can’t have violence and torture every week. Episodes are needed as a breather from that, and also to build other aspects of the characters.

I get the impression that the fighting has quietened down to the point of victory for Gilead, given what Glen? said to Fred about not needing warhorses anymore, and the hierarchy not being interested in getting him out of Canada.

Advertisement