Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Handmaid's Tale - Hulu Original (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You can’t have violence and torture every week. Episodes are needed as a breather from that, and also to build other aspects of the characters.

Its not just one episode the whole season has been boring, I get the feeling you are a few episodes ahead of me though so maybe the last few are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Its not just one episode the whole season has been boring, I get the feeling you are a few episodes ahead of me though so maybe the last few are better.

No I’m watching on RTÉ. I think some attempt has to be made to start bringing the story in the direction of The Testaments.

I don’t think it was possible to keep June in Gilead forever. There was only so many times she can be captured / avoid death / escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4.9: Hrmmm.. no longer sure about whether the show production level has enough to go for an invasion scene. After this..
    a tactical op to get Hannah seems to be on the cards.

Esther
    reminding me of when Marlo came into The Wire. Dunno if that could turn to much. Maybe.

Really noticeable this episode how they played up the sunlight for the Gilead scenes vs non-Gilead scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

Anyone watch the finale yet? I enjoyed it but was confused by the ending

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

With all the brutality shown in the series towards the handmaids they really could have shown a lot more of the handmaids lynching him and made it just a brutal.

So next season is June on the run from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭scrumqueen

With all the brutality shown in the series towards the handmaids they really could have shown a lot more of the handmaids lynching him and made it just a brutal.

So next season is June on the run from both sides.

Just before that I was thinking how he would
    meet his fate and i thought about handmaids stoning him but Gilead would never allow it, but your right they could have gotten a bit grittier.

I'm glad she's going
    to leave Luke,
    but why is he taking the moral high ground? like he knows what was done to her!

Her chemistry with Nick is just so much better, I wonder will that be how it ends next season her and Nick together, but where? Or will
    Serena go after June now?

Fred's last thoughts; "Dammit Serena, seems you were right all along about me neglecting cardio work in favour of my core."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Enjoyed the finale, and the season.
    Fred being beaten to death by all of those women was certainly deserved, but also prompts lots of questions, like good drama should.

Also, if Fred got Serena pregnant, how do we know he isn't also the father of Nichole? No one has even mentioned this as a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

That was a brutal ending to the season on many fronts. It feels like it's going to be a never-ending story.

There is enough in it to keep me watching but I won't recommend it to a friend to begin watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Shelga wrote: »
    Also, if Fred got Serena pregnant, how do we know he isn't also the father of Nichole? No one has even mentioned this as a possibility?

Maybe it wasn't him...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Favourite quote, Moira: " he’ll be gone by the end of the week, to set up wherever he wants “with his Viking-ass wife. "

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

ha yeah that joke about Serena came out of nowhere but was very funny. Not sure how that ending can be seen as a crime in Canada as didn't happen in their jurisdiction and no one would testify as witnesses I presume.
    At this stage Nick's behavior must be very suspicious to most of the Gilead higher ups. I know he's in charge of the secret police but even leaders of those sorts of groups can be deposed.

I’m watching on RTÉ. June in the supermarket says ‘potato chips have changed a lot in seven years’

I’ve wondered about the time line for a while. That seems to be the first indication of how long she was in Gilead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Very ponderous season all in all IMHO. Hasn't really advanced the story much in real terms, apart from the final act involving Fred, which was a poor return I thought for 10 hours of drama.

I don't know how much the series has left in it TBH. The early seasons were good, asjch because of the production and the imagery around the Gilead regime and the rites and procedures, but a lot of this season seemed to involve June staring angrily into the camera. I see Elizabeth Ross was credited Aith directing a lot of the episodes, so I dunno if that's a factor or if it's down the the writing, but it's a series that seems to be struggling to come up with a vision and a path to advance the story apart from the 'men are evil' /dispopian society envisioned in the early series.

There is one obvious loose end in the story around Nichole, so I guess they'll have to come back and at least tie that up, but it looks a tired concept at present

• Registered Users Posts: 22,525 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I thought the finale was a bit absurd tbh. And June's evil face close ups were comical at times.

I’d guess at one more series. With June as the main character they can’t drag out 2-3 more series with her in Canada. A final series would probably tie up loose ends to match up with The Testaments.

4.10: Daaaaammmnn!
    That build up so much tension at the half way point meeting with Waterford. I was like.. She's gonna kill him here. This scene is for her to kill him. She's gonna break the glass or something. But then nothing.

I was like :eek:
    Kinda Sircario border crossing scene level of tension... but no.. just keep holding your breath.

But then
    at the end, I was like Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh... and the exhale by June really doing the exhale of the tension. Well crafted episode there.

Got the call back to
    the latin for don't let the bastards grind you down grafitied under Waterford hanging there too.

So that was the season finale. I guess next season will be around
    Hannah, Janine and Serena.

Just watched Episode 9 on RTE

I'm generally willing to let a few plot holes slide in series but

June goes to meet Nick in what is presumably Gilead, not Canada given that the school they met in was abandoned. I get that Nick can probably move about more easily given that he is a commander but June is public enemy no.1 in Gilead and she can just drive back over the border to meet him and then back into Canada with no hassle?

Also Gilead has phone lines and June (presumably through the American government in exile) can just ring Joseph? I would work off the assumption for the scene that his phone is monitored by the powers that be in Gilead hence the suggestion that June trade children for Hannah etc, but there was no mention of phones up to now.

Alexis Bledel Exiting ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Ahead Of Season 5

“After much thought, I felt I had to step away from The Handmaid’s Tale at this time,” Bledel said in a statement provided to Deadline. “I am forever grateful to Bruce Miller for writing such truthful and resonant scenes for Emily, and to Hulu, MGM, the cast and crew for their support.”

• Advertisement

I guess then that she'll be in season 5 but something will happen.. doesn't have to be bad.. but like.. it is the handmaid's tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,086 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m quite curious as to why Bledel has quit. She’s never really been seen as a great actor, and The Handmaid’s Tale provided her with some prestige and praise at last, and an Emmy. Maybe it’s as simple as she just thought the show is running out of steam and had grown tired of her character.

Think they need to end it with this season

Hmmm they showed bits of how it happened but don't think there is enough of a story to last more than 1 season for that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Is that Luke?

In the trailer? Yeah Luke is there in many parts of it.

In the coffin.. nooo I don't think so.. well I think not, I was guessing that's fred.

• Advertisement

Advertisement