Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark side of the ring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ThePott wrote: »
    Pretty much mandatory follow up if you haven't seen it is the Resurrection of Jake the Snake Roberts.

Isn't that just an overlong advert for DDP yoga?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,048 ✭✭✭ThePott

Isn't that just an overlong advert for DDP yoga?
    I mean there is that aspect to it but I never got the sense it was all about Yoga, I thought it was a very stirring watch when I saw it years ago, unless it doesn't hold up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not part of the series but I'll put this here as it's also Vice
    https://tvline.com/2021/06/04/ridiculous-spinoff-snooki-messyness-mtv-tori-spelling/
    VICE has set a premiere date (Thursday, June 17 at 9/8c) and released a trailer for VICE VERSA: Chyna. the authorized and first ever documentary about “the rise and fall of one of wrestling’s most fascinating figures,” whose life was tragically cut short in 2016 following a fatal overdose

There's a trailer at the link but it's region locked

Yeah had heard they were going to do a Chyna doc but then learned about this one.
    I think Dark Side of the Ring is on hiatus after this week's episode too, will be back later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well that grizzly smith episode was all sunshine and rainbows wasn’t it ? From beyond the mat and the other jake documentary I knew that he was a nasty piece of work, but it was good to hear from his brothers and sister who seem to be okay to varying degrees even after the **** they’ve been through.

But yeah grizzly smith was an evil ****er and in a different era he’d have been in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,537 ✭✭✭✭briany

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well that grizzly smith episode was all sunshine and rainbows wasn’t it ? From beyond the mat and the other jake documentary I knew that he was a nasty piece of work, but it was good to hear from his brothers and sister who seem to be okay to varying degrees even after the **** they’ve been through.

But yeah grizzly smith was an evil ****er and in a different era he’d have been in jail.

The brazenness of showing up to your adult daughter's house with the 9 year old girl you picked up, looking to spend the night, is quite something. It's like he genuinely saw nothing wrong with what he was doing.

briany wrote: »
    The brazenness of showing up to your adult daughter's house with the 9 year old girl you picked up, looking to spend the night, is quite something. It's like he genuinely saw nothing wrong with what he was doing.

Quite sad that the daughter waited till the following morning to do anything about it though.shows the hold he still had over her.

Quite sad that the daughter waited till the following morning to do anything about it though.shows the hold he still had over her.

Well Jim cornette on his podcast this week talked about the episode which he was a part of, and he was talking about the fact that until beyond the mat came out and it was revealed that his daughter disappeared and murdered, he didn’t even know that had happened and it wasn’t something that was known. The point is that grizzly smith was a master at compartmentalising his life so that people wouldn’t suspect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bret's A&E was great and it's so nice to see him happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Bret's A&E was great and it's so nice to see him happy.

Any where I can watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭cena

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Any where I can watch it?

PM

• Registered Users Posts: 53,846 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

cena wrote: »
    PM

I wouldn't mind a pm too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Headshot wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a pm too :)

Sent it to me aswell cheers

Poor Jake. The raspy haunted tone that he recounts every facet of his difficult life with makes me think he'll never be truly happy, nor has he ever been. If Quentin Tarantino ever wrote a desert road movie, Jake would be the motel owner who's secretly in cahoots with the antagonist while regretting the family he lost due to addiction.

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Sent it to me aswell cheers

I won't be sending any more links to anyone.

Glad to see Bret seems to have left all the bitterness behind him now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Glad to see Bret seems to have left all the bitterness behind him now.

Meh...as Punk put it once people reserve the right to be bitter.

Bret's anger over the past never particularly struck me as being damaging to himself so who cares really about feelings he had that were entirely valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭plibige

Think I liked that Grizzly Smith episode the least of any. A lot of episodes bothered me, such as the Benoit or the Jimmy Snuka one's.

But at least in those episodes you had people you could hear a positive story from in it. Particularly David Benoit reuniting with Nancy's sister, made that story a bit easier.

And the near moment of justice with Jimmy Snuka at the end of his life was something that you could say, well at least the system was trying to get late justice.

But that Grizzly Smith episode left you with nothing to feel better about. A broken family, substance problems, a clear path of destruction. And the only hope is the family is open to the idea of reuniting. Grizzly was an awful human being, we barely got to know anything about him, but his destruction was so obvious in everyone else

Dynamite Kid this week, I hadn't know he had married to Bret's first wife's sister.

She still loves him despite everything he did to her.

I've watched some of the After Dark companion shows and they feel like a missed opportunity. The production is non existent as it essentially takes the form of a group video chat between the host, Chris Gethard, and a few wrestling people. Some of the guests seem to make more of an effort at looking professional than the host, who appears to be doing the show from his spare room.

But mainly it's just that it is too short, running at a mere 22 minutes plus 4 ad breaks. Yes, FOUR ad breaks. Everything feels real rushed and truncated.

• Advertisement

Biggest takeaway from this episode is that Dan Spivey is Deadpool

555688.JPG

Just finished watching Vice’s documentary on Chyna.

So tragic and sad how she was just used by so many people and all she wanted was to be loved and gave herself to them to get that love. :(

Just finished watching Vice’s documentary on Chyna.

So tragic and sad how she was just used by so many people and all she wanted was to be loved and gave herself to them to get that love. :(

Haven’t seen it but heard Jim cornette review it for an hour on his podcast and Jesus h Christ but that manager and film crew sound in the words of the late great gorilla monsoon, “pieces of work.”

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Haven’t seen it but heard Jim cornette review it for an hour on his podcast and Jesus h Christ but that manager and film crew sound in the words of the late great gorilla monsoon, “pieces of work.”

The manager/'spiritual advisor' came off as a complete sociopath, making money off her death. The director just seemed insane, saying that he felt he could get closer to her if they did some drugs together, even though the whole thing was about getting her off drugs. You have to laugh ruefully when the director of your redemption story is snorting heroin. If you were to write a black-comedy mockumentary about a former star trying to make a film about their road to getting clean, you'd definitely write in that the whole crew were off their face on drugs. It's so absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

briany wrote: »
    The manager/'spiritual advisor' came off as a complete sociopath, making money off her death. The director just seemed insane, saying that he felt he could get closer to her if they did some drugs together, even though the whole thing was about getting her off drugs. You have to laugh ruefully when the director of your redemption story is snorting heroin. If you were to write a black-comedy mockumentary about a former star trying to make a film about their road to getting clean, you'd definitely write in that the whole crew were off their face on drugs. It's so absurd.

That memorial and bringing the ashes to it.. Never seen someone with so much heartbreak. Really tuff watch

Good God. She really had the wrong people around her for the documentary. Chyna really needed to have people that didn't take drugs at all, so they could have helped her.

The manager was only in it for himself, to make money. A good one would have made sure she got the helped that was needed for Chyna

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭nazmoalex

Watched this last night. Difficult to watch in parts, I think 3 lads were disgraceful, don't think any of them gave a **** about her. That line "The bitch is in the house" at the memorial was just so self indulgent and typical of the manager.
    It's such a shame she couldn't sort a work visa and just stay in Japan, she seemed relatively happy there.

Finally got around to watching the Chyna doc.
    A real downer, the poor woman. It just seemed like she had no one around her that genuinely cared about her. They all just wanted to exploit her. The worst thing was that while watching it you could see fleeting moments where she could have been happy or saved from her fate.

Well made and insightful but very depressing, the last days and last interview especially. She was done wrong by so many.
    The only one who evek slightly seemed like a good person was the producer. Well that and Mick Foley. The manager was a total scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Could anyone pm where to watch the Chyna doc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Could anyone pm where to watch the Chyna doc?

Part 1
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x821gw8

Part 2
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x821hjy

Advertisement