Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your local charging for a pint now?

• 08-06-2021 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if the pubs have all stuck their prices up, to coincide with opening back up (albeit only outdoors, to begin with). ?

A friend told me that Gibneys in Malahide were now charging €6.25 for a pint of Guinness - which sounds like a right price hike.

So, what's you local charging?

Thanks,

G.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

€5.50 at the Sheds in Clontarf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

My usual spot in Derry put their pint prices up by 50p. Food has gone up even more, about £2 per main course.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

irish_goat wrote: »
    My usual spot in Derry put their pint prices up by 50p. Food has gone up even more, about £2 per main course.

What's the general price in the north for a pint.

LMHC wrote: »

Average pint of macro in Derry is around £4. You're talking a little bit more in the fancier bars and about an average of £4.50 for a craft pint.

Belfast is all over the shop but prices are close to £6 for some beers.

See Twitter thread below.

https://twitter.com/brendanjharkin/status/1395446685137096705

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

Good question some places in Belfast £6 down in the Glens where I am from about £4 both for a Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

oisinog wrote: »
    Good question some places in Belfast £6 down in the Glens where I am from about £4 both for a Guinness

6 pound holy ****. That's pricier then dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

4.80 for Guinness 5.50 for Heineken carlsberg etc where I was in Galway city yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭greensausage

Prices seemed to be the same in carrick on Shannon yesterday as they were pre lockdown, about a fiver for a pint.

My local only put the Guinness up from 4.50 during the last lockdown so hoping they dont add to it again.

4.50 was the lowest possible price in town here so it wasnt that surprising.
    I think it was 4.60 or 4.70 when I last went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭antimatterx

If they start price gouging I simply won't go back.

I know it was a tough yearn for then, and I'm happy to support them, but if they are getting stuck in with prices, I won't support them. They're not the only people who lost money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

They're some shower. Canvas the government through their cartel to force the competition to increase their prices to a prescribed Minimum Unit Pricing. Then when they have a nearly captive audience, commence operation price gouge. The only thing is that now they're using covid as an opportunity for an additional increase now ahead of MUP at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Effects wrote: »
    €5.50 at the Sheds in Clontarf.

Was that yesterday?

... I didn't think they were serving outdoors

It'll be interesting to see what Harry Byrnes and The Yacht are charging, given they've both converted their car parks (although I suspect that both got heavy sponsorhip)

Thanks,

G.

6 pound holy ****. That's pricier then dublin

Is it?

We've yet to see what places on Dawson St etc are going to try and charge us.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

4.50 in rural village in Sligo. Same as before the closedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

garrettod wrote: »
    Was that yesterday?

... I didn't think they were serving outdoors

It'll be interesting to see what Harry Byrnes and The Yacht are charging, given they've both converted their car parks (although I suspect that both got heavy sponsorhip)

Yeah, on Monday. The Sheds have a beer garden out the back, I don't know if that's new due to covid. They are doing food from the Sandbar, across the street. I just got one to takeaway. Don't see the point in sitting in a back yard with astroturf when I can sit on real grass and look out to sea.

Big queues at both Harry's and the Yacht. Harry's looked better to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭dobman88

4.30, Keanes Bar in Carrigaholt, Co. Clare. Didnt want to leave because of the price and the keg right under the counter made for a gorgeous pint.

Also 4.30 at my home place in Kerry. So no price increases.

Haven't been into a local pub yet and my local which is the GAA club aren't opening until July 5th but they wont be raising their prices.

4.40 for a Guinness in my local, any operator charging more gets the heave. Hotels? After I'm dead.

One thing seems certain - there's a massive difference between city and rural prices.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

One thing seems certain - there's a massive difference between city and rural prices.

twas ever thus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

irish_goat wrote:

Was out in Derry last weekend and the rounds seemed dearer everywhere we went compared to before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

To be honest not clear to me it is “price gouging”, Realistically if they are losing seating capacity because of the rules, and can’t do as many covers, some price inflation to address that might be to be expected. I agree it should be minimal, but I don’t think they’re all exactly counting their money and laughing at you.

I’m in Waterford right now and just paid 7 euro for a Helvic Gold in the Cliff House.

Amazed that’s less than price of a craft beer in Belfast by the way! Wow. Not my perception of NI pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Sandyford House 5.20 last Monday. It was 5 in the bar before lockdown IIRC.

To be honest not clear to me it is “price gouging”, Realistically if they are losing seating capacity because of the rules, and can’t do as many covers, some price inflation to address that might be to be expected. I agree it should be minimal, but I don’t think they’re all exactly counting their money and laughing at you.

They'll also need more staff on due to the table service only rule. But at the same time, there's no way prices will drop once things return to normal either.

Hi,

I think quite a lot of pubs are benefiting from financial support / incentives from Diagio etc.

Didn't Diagio announce something like $100m to be used to help support pubs, a little while back, to include €14m for Irish pubs - that's a lot of free kegs?

I'm sure that other big brewers are also offering supports.

Its also no coincidence that almost all of the outdoor seating areas have heavy sponsorhip from Guinness, Heiniken, Corona etc.

There was some grant funding made available to help pay for outdoor facilities, when food is sold - with grants of up to €4,000 available. I think there may have been additional grant supports and Covid - 19 relief supports announced seperately, for wet pubs, that can't open yet.

I'm not convinced that the majority of pubs have more staff on - after all, if we follow the logic above, there are far less covers, so why have more staff serving less customers? Most pubs already had table service staff, often pay time students etc, so okay, maybe a couple more in some places, but won't they be on low wages, and hoping for tips?

I also think that many of the publicans are continuing to benefit from things like tax warehousing, so they are essentially interest free loans from the taxman. They previously would have availed of wage supports etc.

So, having considered all of the above, plus the fact that most of the nation are going to be trying to make up for lost time, so likely to be in the pubs as much as possible, so do the pubs really need to be pushing their prices up?

Oh, I forgot to mention, most of the city pubs make a Gross Margin of about 50%, increasing to between 60%-70% for those that also sell food. That's why you rarely hear of a publican going broke!

Thanks,

G.

I'm not convinced that the majority of pubs have more staff on - after all, if we follow the logic above, there are far less covers, so why have more staff serving less customers? Most pubs already had table service staff, often pay time students etc, so okay, maybe a couple more in some places, but won't they be on low wages, and hoping for tips?

You need more staff per covers, you'll have less customers but you need more staff to serve them as someone has to run in and out with the drinks and the orders. A lot of pubs now also have a member of staff front of house keeping an eye on bookings/showing people to tables.

Most pubs in Derry definitely didn't have table service before either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

So, having considered all of the above, plus the fact that most of the nation are going to be trying to make up for lost time, so likely to be in the pubs as much as possible, so do the pubs really need to be pushing their prices up?
    On the other hand the market has no real competition and seemingly rock-solid price inelasticity. Given that, why would prices go anywhere but up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

They're some shower. Canvas the government through their cartel to force the competition to increase their prices to a prescribed Minimum Unit Pricing. Then when they have a nearly captive audience, commence operation price gouge. The only thing is that now they're using covid as an opportunity for an additional increase now ahead of MUP at the end of the year.

you obviously don't understand MUP in any way shape or form

BTW- hope you never go to Paris for a pint. You'll think Temple Bar is bargain basement.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MUP is a publican and standalone off licence led measure to force convenience stores and supermarkets to charge a price acceptable to publicans and stand alone off licences. So it's entirely about forcing the competition to become dearer.

Its not a public health measure of any kind and it won't work as one - but it's pushers don't expect or want it to

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi,

Oh, I forgot to mention, most of the city pubs make a Gross Margin of about 50%, increasing to between 60%-70% for those that also sell food. That's why you rarely hear of a publican going broke!

A publican told me about an Irish pub chain that gets discounts on beer due to volumes, but maintains high prices, and so makes 80% gross margin on beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

silver2020 wrote: »
    BTW- hope you never go to Paris for a pint. You'll think Temple Bar is bargain basement.

"Happy hour" is widespread in Paris.

I accept only until maybe 10pm.

I have paid 3.50 / 3.75 for 50cl lager in central Paris during the last five years.

Advertisement