Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your local charging for a pint now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

I would say yes and no. For city centre prices I have paid up to 6 pound a pint in London and more at events. Even paid 7 pound a pint at Leeds airport.

However I do think 5.70 for a Guinness in a typical suburban Dublin pub is more then an European equivalent. I have paid 4 euro for a pint in Berlin pubs as a capital comparison. Also been to Bristol too and the beer wasn't Dublin prices.

Don't want to sound tightbut I have noticed beer prices slowly increasing upwards from every trip back home over the past 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

3.45 for a fosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

3.45 is what I would pay to not have to drink Fosters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I was in Cheltenham last week and I paid 12 Sterling for two pints of lager. I’m pretty sure I’ve paid more In London but it’s a bit hazy. Admittedly that would have been the city of London, Soho etc. So on the more expensive end.

I don’t disagree prices have risen in Dublin. But are we out of line with London, Paris, Stockholm, Copenhagen..? I’d say we probably aren’t to be honest.

That comparison annoys people, because of course Krakow or Lisbon or wherever is cheaper in comparison… But if you look at incomes in Dublin, it’s not that crazy actually.

To be honest my thought on a lot of price increases is that people don’t really want to account for inflation and the passage of time. I have pals who expect to pay for a pint what they were paying when they were 25… But it’s 15 years later…

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

London is dear... you’ll pay a fiver plus most places.

up north... I think I’ve paid £3.40 - £5 depending.... Manchester is expensive practically everywhere now though it use to not be. Sheffield is great value, a great friendly city with some great welcoming and reasonably priced pubs...

i paid all be it about 4/5 years ago.. 3.40 for a Guinness... pints of their moonshine a really nice fruity refreshing beer.

we are ripped off here by pubs... even one of my locals charges 14.50 for a plate of carvery, must be €10.50 profit minimum.

local here for beers on draught..

Guinness : 5

larger around : 5.70...give or take depending...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

5.20 for pint of Heineken in (well, near) a pub in Ennis this weekend

cheap nights out though given that they stop serving at 11 and kick you out not long after

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭enricoh

Was in Milan around 10 years ago and got 5 longnecks of Heineken - e50 and the hipster barman was miffed with no tip! We said sod this went down the road to the next pub, e50 for 5 nastro azzuro long necks. It was an early night!

E4.90 for Guinness in east meath, same as pre covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Food is gone mental though. 16 euros in a 3 star hotel bar in Mayo during the daytime for a burger about 4 chips and some lettuce. Burger was fair to middling

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Central Paris, 2019, Happy Hour prices

3.50 for 50cl lager in Les Halles, I think in a bar called Club Banana Cafe

Plenty of 50cl lager available across the city for 4.00-4.50, but only until 10pm.

Always remember that when Temple Bar publicans say they are cheaper than Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

buying beer in supermarkets in France is for nothing, quality bottled beers too...

i remember a work trip, hotel price for a pint of 1664 was 6.90.

go into a nearby supermarket and a deal for 3 x 660ml bottles of the same beer was 11 euros..

hotel bar was shît too so I’m in my room, netflix, iPad and two or three beers,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭beachhead

Some bars in Bristol city centre(and near Cheddar Gorge) can be as dear as central London.In London and Paris you can pay less than Dublin for a full pint(584ml-58.4cl?)if you know where to go.The clientele know how to to drink as well.Try Switzerland if you want a sickener for prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I went to a bar in Dublin that charges 4 euro for a pint of miwadi.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Milan's awful. In every way. But there's some decent bars where you'll "only" pay 6-7 quid for a 330ml craft beer and less again for lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Every city has cheaper pubs than average. This is the same in Dublin. Don't buy your pint of Guinness on Dawson Street or Temple Bar and generally you will be fine.

Galway City, July 2021

Garavan's, William street: Guinness = 4.50, Coors Light = 5.50

(I think Garavans was always maybe 20c below typical city centre pubs?)

Freeney's, High street: Guinness = 4.90

PJs, Lower Salthill: Guinness = 4.70, Guinness 0% = 4.70

I note that the Guinness 0% is the same price, so either Diageo or the pub are capturing the 50-55c excise duty as extra margin.

Post edited by Geuze on

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A pint is 568mL. But in Ireland you won't get a pint of liquid unless you're drinking flat cider, and often not even then. Different in the UK where glasses have a line on the side for a pint of liquid. So yet again we're paying more and getting less...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Monivea, Co. Galway

Kelly's

Guinness = 4.20

Guinness 0.0% served in a can, no device/tap = 2.50

Power's whiskey = 4.20

• Registered Users Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The price of a whiskey (or other spirit) in non-Wetherspoon pubs in Ireland is outrageous. A standard 35.5mL measure has only about 60% as much alcohol as a pint.

A bottle has 20 measures so that Powers which can often be bought in a supermarket for €20 would net the publican 84 euro.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Paid a minumum of £5.50 for a pint in Manchester yesterday/today. There is a Samuel Smiths pub that is likely a fraction of the cost, and I was avoiding 'spoons, Yates et al too - but there's cheap pubs in Dublin too of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Was home in Kerry last weekend, local was 4.10 and GAA club €4 for Guinness. Where I live in Meath, I've stopped going to the pub I used to frequent, €5.40 for a Guinness, up from €4.80 pre covid 😲😲 so I just stick to the GAA club which is 4.20.

A fiver is plenty to be charging for a pint no matter where you're located. Anything more is just plain robbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

I think that's a good barometer. No more then a fiver for any pub not in a city centre or a posh suburb should be realistic in my opinion.

I can understand an increase in the price with the extra staffing costs with table service etc. My worry is that the price increase won't come down once things are back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's no extra staffing costs, all publicans are still drawing down wage supports from revenue.

I was out in a few popular spots in cork at the weekend, most 6 euro now unfortunately. Greed

I'd pay it for a nice craft but carlsberg and Guinness? No thanks.

5.40 for a beamish I felt violated

• Registered Users Posts: 19 nestegg

I was just in Milan and had two hours to kill before a flight so went to a craft beer bar. I had 3x 500ml beers which were all decent, some generous samples, a takeaway 330 b.a sour and warm friendly service for 20 euro so Milan aint all bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Cheapest in Swords,

Lagers: Carlsberg €3.25, Coors €3.25 & Heineken €3.95 (Pints)

Ciders : Pint Bottle of Bulmers €3.95, 500ml Bottle of Kopparberg €3.45

Low/Zero Alcohol : Pint of Heineken 0.0 €2.25, Kopparberg 500ml bottle €2.25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find it amusing that a figure of €5 for a pint of beer has generally been accepted as "reasonable". Anything over this figure is, generally, seen as gouging.

No we will all have a general opinion of what is or isn't reasonable but why this is this €5 figure seemingly so universal ?

One can't help feel that this figure is so agreed upon because it's a nice round number that we have a note for and actually has nothing to do with costs and overheads.

This €5 "ceiling" has been around for a decade, now, and despite most pubs having breeched it at this stage, it seems that it is still very much alive in people's heads.

In a few years, I guess, the €10 red line limit will come into play - just like many people swore that they'd never pay more than £1 for a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

I suppose it's all relative at the end of the day. If someone has deep enough pockets and doesn't raise an eyebrow to an extra 50~60c on a pint.. so be it! But for the ordinary punter, common sense must prevail at some stage. Forking out in excess of €5 for a 'meh!' pint of Guinness in less than favourable surroundings (particularly in the current climate), it's only natural that punter is going to re-assess the whole 'value for money' thing.

Price gouging is 'gouging', no matter which way you dress it up. And as has been mentioned above, these establishments continue to be in receipt of grants/wage subsidy schemes so it's difficult to justify these increases. Nobody wants to be taken advantage of.. not if they've any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You have proposed no argument why this, apparently acceptable price is €5.

Why wasn't €4 a deal breaker?

Why do so many people feel <€5 is reasonable but >€5 is gouging? This also seems to apply to all pints and all pubs equally.

I really do understand why some people feel that pub prices are too expensive (especially in a society where drinking 8 pints in an evening is considered pretty normal). I just don't understand why this price limit is identical for so, so many people for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Its just psychological, a fiver for a pint. Go out with 50 euro thats 10 pints you can get, its nice and simple. €5.90,€5.80 or €6 are odd numbers, it just sounds like a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Advertisement