Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your local charging for a pint now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Paid 7 euro for pint of larger in the Morgan Hotel over the weekend. I don't believe I have ever paid that much anywhere in Ireland before

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

€4.40 for Murphy's in McCarthy's in Kenmare last week. Only pub I've imbibed in so far.

And I have to say, they were the tastiest pints of Murphy's I've sunk in my entire life! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,768 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Paid 7 euro for pint of larger in the Morgan Hotel over the weekend. I don't believe I have ever paid that much anywhere in Ireland before

At least you got a big pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

irish_goat wrote: »
    My cousin took his ma and da to the Grand Central Hotel for a drink while they were up visiting in Belfast last weekend. A pint of Whitewater IPA was £10 (€11.65). Surely the priciest pint on the island by quite a margin.
    Belfast has gotten shocking expensive. My son was saying he went to a place called the Dirty Onion the other week and paid £5.60 for a pint.

My local just outside Galway city put their Guinness up to €4.60 from €4.40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,582 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There was a pub in Belfast putting up something on Facebook about their pints still being cheap at "only" £4.60 (5.37) for a Guinness, this being apparently very, very cheap for Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Sleeper12 wrote: »

But sure they have to pay all the musicians....oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

L1011 wrote: »
    There was a pub in Belfast putting up something on Facebook about their pints still being cheap at "only" £4.60 (5.37) for a Guinness, this being apparently very, very cheap for Belfast.
    Seems cheap to me?

Very Very Cheap in Dublin, pre-pandemic, would be in excess of a euro cheaper than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

I think quite a lot of pubs are benefiting from financial support / incentives from Diagio etc.

Didn't Diagio announce something like $100m to be used to help support pubs, a little while back, to include €14m for Irish pubs - that's a lot of free kegs?

I'm sure that other big brewers are also offering supports.

Its also no coincidence that almost all of the outdoor seating areas have heavy sponsorhip from Guinness, Heiniken, Corona etc.

There was some grant funding made available to help pay for outdoor facilities, when food is sold - with grants of up to €4,000 available. I think there may have been additional grant supports and Covid - 19 relief supports announced seperately, for wet pubs, that can't open yet.

I'm not convinced that the majority of pubs have more staff on - after all, if we follow the logic above, there are far less covers, so why have more staff serving less customers? Most pubs already had table service staff, often pay time students etc, so okay, maybe a couple more in some places, but won't they be on low wages, and hoping for tips?

I also think that many of the publicans are continuing to benefit from things like tax warehousing, so they are essentially interest free loans from the taxman. They previously would have availed of wage supports etc.

So, having considered all of the above, plus the fact that most of the nation are going to be trying to make up for lost time, so likely to be in the pubs as much as possible, so do the pubs really need to be pushing their prices up?

Oh, I forgot to mention, most of the city pubs make a Gross Margin of about 50%, increasing to between 60%-70% for those that also sell food. That's why you rarely hear of a publican going broke!

Add to all that the fact that most pubs were or are on the Covid Restrictions Support Scheme - something they won't mention !!

It was dependent on previous turnover but a bar local to me was on the top rate so was getting €5k a week - €20k a month - for staying closed. His staff were all on PUP so all he had to pay out from the 5k was regular overheads such as electricity/heating. AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected on this...) rates were suspended for the duration. He was laughing about it himself, thought it was great !!!

I haven't been out for a pint since March 7th last year so have no idea what the prices are like locally now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

AFAIK (and I stand to be corrected on this...) rates were suspended for the duration. He was laughing about it himself, thought it was great !!!

(

Correct, there is a rates waiver.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/3ac02-support-for-businesses-impacted-by-covid-19-through-the-commercial-rates-waiver/

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    3.90 Guinness 4.00 everything else on draught. Most craft cans 4.00. Extremely rural Donegal so not the most comparable pricing!

I was in the Olde Glen bar in Glen last year, north of Letterkenny, on back road to Carrigart.

Very small village, but I don't recall Guinness being 3.90.

Okay, fair enough, it's more like a food-driven pub, than a typical rural bar.

I've just realised, I haven't bought a pint in a bar since last August...would anyone have thought that 2 years ago?
    Anyways...I'm off to Tayto Park Tomo... staying in a hotel so will treat myself to a pint or 2...will I need a second mortgage? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Fowlers in Malahide is charging €6 for Heineken and €6.20 for Bulmers. These were both about €5.80 before Covid. Harry Byrnes in Clontarf was charging €6 for a Heineken.

It's very cheeky for 6 quid to be the standard price for a pint in Dublin, especially outside the CC. Our tax money funded these pubs for more than a year, and now they're getting stuck in.

It's very cheeky for 6 quid to be the standard price for a pint in Dublin, especially outside the CC. Our tax money funded these pubs for more than a year, and no they're getting stuck in.

Yes, I wonder is the scale of CRSS payments well known to the general public?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Geuze wrote: »
    I was in the Olde Glen bar in Glen last year, north of Letterkenny, on back road to Carrigart.

Very small village, but I don't recall Guinness being 3.90.

Okay, fair enough, it's more like a food-driven pub, than a typical rural bar.

There’s a top chef in there, he’s part of a zoom dinner club thing that’s just kicking off, set up by the guy who’s the chef in Liath. So yeah, not your normal local in Donegal.

A pint is 6.50 in the Boathouse restaurant in Killybegs. Again, it’s to do with the setting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Paid €5.40 for a Guinness in the Step Inn today (Dublin 18).

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Roxxers

they get taxed on the crss , so ain't as good as it sounds

It’s very Irish, the hotels are at the same craic too. One hand held out looking for public support and the other rummaging around in your back pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

They`d have been taxed on profits from takings anyway.

Any business that has wages covered and are essentially being paid to keep their door shut aren`t badly off. These price hikes are simply pubs/restaurants and hotels gouging their customers.

Its across the board though. My dentists popped an E18 "Covid safety tariff" on the cost of a filling. During lockdown you had to stand outside the door (regardless of the weather) and all that was provided was hand gel. I`m at a loss to see where an E18 charge comes out of that. The best I could do is not return there and I'd suggest others do the same with any other business trying to similarly gouge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Absolutely right - take you business elsewhere!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,868 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Local was charging 4.80 for Guinness/smithwicks and 5.30 for macro lagers, they stuck 20 cent on each so no major hike.

Cashel, Tipp, July 2021

Feehan's, Main street = 4.70 for Guinness, this pub is a touch upmarket, with outdoor seating downstairs and upstairs, and out the back

Fox's, Main street = 4.50 for Guinness

Foley's, Friar street = 4.50 for Guinness, 4.90 for pint bottle Guinness

One thing that's certainly proving true from this thread - is the difference in prices between the cities and the rest of the county.

Sure, rent might be more in the cities, possibly staff costs too, but that's got to be counteracted by the much higher volume of sales in the city pubs, compared to the rural pubs.

Thanks,

G.

City insurance and rates (tax) are significant factors also, but there is also price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

€4.50 for a Guinness or Smithwickes in Newtown Inn Maynooth and 5er for the lagers cheapest in the town by a good distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Its a sad state you can't even buy two pints for a tenner in some country pubs now.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Granite Head

€4.30 for a Guinness in a few pubs around the Erris peninsular last weekend

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

It's an even sadder state that you can barely buy one pint, for a tenner, in some of the Dublin pubs!

Best we can do, is blackball those that try to rip us all off.

Thanks,

G.

I am nearly sure that Guinness is 4.80 in the Swagman, Sligo this week.

I'll have to check my notes, but I think it was 4.40 in 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Might have been said earlier 6.10 for coors/Heineken in the Manhattan in Raheny and 6.55 in malahide! Ridiculous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Think I paid €6 in Fowlers for a Heineken. Felt sick paying it. Guessing Gibneys are charging 6.55?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Haha..... Mrs Mc Carthy & myself wandered out for a few ( in mallow ) on Wed night...... I call a Guinness & bottle of Miller, casually throw a €10 into table....... haha, you should see the look I got......... turns out I was €1.10 short!!!!!!!!!! Twas in around €9.70/ €9.80 pre pandemic

That place The Manhatten has been taking the p1ss for long time - I didn't mind it as much, when you got the extra hour's drinking at the weekend,n but that's obviously gone now.

As for Gibneys, same thing...

Vote with your feet - Harry Byrnes, The Sheds, The Pebble Beach, The Beachcomber, The Ceders etc are all nearby.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Oh certainly intend to! We had 1 and left. The girl who was serving us was embarrassed when she said 12.20!

east Co. Galway

Screenes of Guilka, Guinness = 4.20 (this is the pre-COVID price, I'd say)

Two pubs in Abbeyknockmoy, Guinness = 4.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭SteM

Not local, but we were up in Leopardstown races last week. They were selling bottles of Rockshore, Heineken & Bulmers for €7 a bottle!

Nice to see them taking the opportunity to rip people off!

Thanks,

G.

Foleys, Castle street, Sligo

Beamish = 4.00

Guinness = 4.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭pale rider

Naas lager up from €5.10 to €5.50 and Guinness up from €4.80 to €5.20

ordinary pub not a hotel, now they were never good value but it’s hard to justify, I’m just not having my ‘flyer’ anymore so costing me much the same just with a pint less onboard leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,167 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Alcohol action Ireland would love you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭enricoh

500ml or 330ml? Ones bad bad the other criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ofthelord

I was out for a few drinks in Galway last weekend for the first time in around 18 months. Hughes Bar on Woodquay - think it was 4.40 a Guinness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭SteM

330ml and they sold out of Heineken & Bulmers by the end of the 4th race so people were stuck with Rockshore which was just twisting the knife!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ofthelord

Ah memories, I spent way too many nights in Foleys in the early 2000s when in college in Sligo.

At those prices, I'm tempted to relocate to Sligo!

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Limerick City at the weekend, mostly drinking local beer but Beamish was around 4.20 or 4.30 most of the places I drank it.

Went to get a 3 Beamish for 10 euro deal in a pub near the hotel (Alfie Earls), but I didn't think it was worth the deal since it was likely the Guards were about to raid it at any moment, given how loose **** was in there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Was back in Dublin from England the other week visiting friends and family. paid 5.70 for a Guinness in my local in north Dublin. Pure scandalous price. Over again this weekend for a meal and drinks in Dublin, dreading what extortionate I'll be paying for pints!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

I know its not a pint but was charged €9 for pint and a glass of Heineken down by the river in Sligo. A pint is €5.20 so €3.80 for a glass is a bit steep!! I know a glass always more than half the price but....

Advertisement