Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

to combat bitterness in Tomato sauces you need to add salt (not sugar!) - not so much that it's salty, just to take the bitterness out.

Alternatively add some MSG (Aromat)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Both of these are delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭.red.

Went to aldi this morning and spotted the sour dough pizza bases. Couldn't make up my mind if I wanted those or the tried and tested stone baked so opted for both. It's a bank holiday weekend and we deserve a treat.
    We just got 2 pizza stones for the bbq so bulmers and a pizza is gonna be our Saturday fakeaway, AND our Sunday roast this weekend I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

to combat bitterness in Tomato sauces you need to add salt (not sugar!) - not so much that it's salty, just to take the bitterness out.

Alternatively add some MSG (Aromat)

Never heard of that, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

.red. wrote: »
    Went to aldi this morning and spotted the sour dough pizza bases. Couldn't make up my mind if I wanted those or the tried and tested stone baked so opted for both. It's a bank holiday weekend and we deserve a treat.
    We just got 2 pizza stones for the bbq so bulmers and a pizza is gonna be our Saturday fakeaway, AND our Sunday roast this weekend I think.

Whats your address I'm on the way!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭lassykk

leahyl wrote: »
    Both of these are delish!

Can't speak for the chocolate but the prawn cocktail is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

lassykk wrote: »
    Can't speak for the chocolate but the prawn cocktail is unreal.

I'd eat a whole tub of it now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Excellent research, fair play!

Looking forward to reading the report :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ellejay wrote: »
    hi would you mind posting the exact quantities of how you make the sauce please.
    I've never successfully made pizza sauce, it's always bitter.

I've been banging on about this pizza sauce for years. This is from a post of mine 12 years ago!
    I think a touch of bitterness is a good thing in a pizza sauce - it's all about balance.

I came across this recipe for 'authentic' pizza sauce in a magazine.
    Was doubtful of the recipe but tried it anyway and was very pleasantly surprised!

Get a heavy pan (I use a cast iron frying pan) and heat it till really hot.
    Add a couple of table spoons of olive oil (it will smoke).
    Throw in a tin of tomatoes, a clove of chopped garlic and a teaspoon of dried (not fresh) oregano. It will splutter.
    Keep heat high and allow to reduce to something a little looser than tomato purée - this will take 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

This just really works on pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

These 4% fat lean pork burgers are lovely for a healthy option - nice peppery seasoning. €3 for 4 I think.
    https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/p-irish-4-fat-lean-pork-burgers-454g-butchers-selection/4088600394220

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've been banging on about this pizza sauce for years. This is from a post of mine 12 years ago!
    I think a touch of bitterness is a good thing in a pizza sauce - it's all about balance.

I came across this recipe for 'authentic' pizza sauce in a magazine.
    Was doubtful of the recipe but tried it anyway and was very pleasantly surprised!

Get a heavy pan (I use a cast iron frying pan) and heat it till really hot.
    Add a couple of table spoons of olive oil (it will smoke).
    Throw in a tin of tomatoes, a clove of chopped garlic and a teaspoon of dried (not fresh) oregano. It will splutter.
    Keep heat high and allow to reduce to something a little looser than tomato purée - this will take 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

This just really works on pizza.

I had always thought that you shouldn't overheat/boil tinned tomatoes?
    I must try this; If I'm making pasta sauce, I usually let it simmer for a very long time so that the natural sugars develop.

I do prefer the bitter edge to tomato sauce on pizza though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Does anyone know what's happening with Earls Dog Food Pouches? My Aldi haven't had any for two weeks & CS haven't responded to emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has the offer leaflet disappeared out of anybody else's Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

They were in the Coolock store today but it is very hit and miss since Covid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They'll take them away if some of the special buys in them aren't going to be available.

I ended up making pizzas today. We used the sour dough and the stone baked bases. Both equally as nice. Don't think I'd have a preference.
    I used the West cork pizza sauce from aldi, grated and fresh mozzarella, small sprinkle of oregano. Did 2 margherita, 1 Hawaiian, and a chorizo and bacon.
    I got the pizza stone and peel from lidl during the week. I cooked them one at a time in the bbq at about 340C for 2 mins, turned the pizza and gave it 1 more minute.
    Really good pizzas, completely different to using the oven for 12/13mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

I ended up making pizzas today. We used the sour dough and the stone baked bases. Both equally as nice. Don't think I'd have a preference.
    I used the West cork pizza sauce from aldi, grated and fresh mozzarella, small sprinkle of oregano. Did 2 margherita, 1 Hawaiian, and a chorizo and bacon.
    I got the pizza stone and peel from lidl during the week. I cooked them one at a time in the bbq at about 340C for 2 mins, turned the pizza and gave it 1 more minute.
    Really good pizzas, completely different to using the oven for 12/13mins

Did you preheat the stone for long. I did the same yesterday with the sourdough based but the bases started to blacken within seconds, the stone was that hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Any try any of the grow with Aldi products that launched yesterday?

tscul32 wrote: »
    Did you preheat the stone for long. I did the same yesterday with the sourdough based but the bases started to blacken within seconds, the stone was that hot?

I did a small bit of googling and found that the stone can burn the pizza if its too hot and the cooler end of the grill is best.
    My bbq is a 4 burner and is hotter on one end, and is slightly hotter towards the back. I put the stone on the cooler side, turned on the 4 burners full blast and waited till the gauge went to 340/350, that's about as hot as it gets.
    I did one pizza at a time and left the thermometer go back up before I put another in.

If your bbq/stone is getting too hot you could try and freeze the base, or the whole pizza before cooking.
    One tip I found(but didn't try) was to sprinkle a bit of semolina on the stone, if it smokes a little it's good to go, if it burns black then the stone is too hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭xeresod

ongarite wrote: »

Bought loads today, but so far only tried the brownies which I don't recommend - all 4 flavors taste similar and can't really tell them apart. Any they're tiny, total package is only 150g...my local cafe makes absolutely gorgeous brownies weighing in between 200-250g (handmade!) for €2.99 so I won't be cheating on them again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

I did a small bit of googling and found that the stone can burn the pizza if its too hot and the cooler end of the grill is best.
    My bbq is a 4 burner and is hotter on one end, and is slightly hotter towards the back. I put the stone on the cooler side, turned on the 4 burners full blast and waited till the gauge went to 340/350, that's about as hot as it gets.
    I did one pizza at a time and left the thermometer go back up before I put another in.

If your bbq/stone is getting too hot you could try and freeze the base, or the whole pizza before cooking.
    One tip I found(but didn't try) was to sprinkle a bit of semolina on the stone, if it smokes a little it's good to go, if it burns black then the stone is too hot.

Thanks. Had tried it with homemade dough a couple of weeks ago and as per instructions heated the stone, but when I sprinkled flour on it it turned black immediately. Had intended on not preheating the stone for as long next time, maybe just 5 mins, but forgot. I was also trying to do two at once, have 2 rectangular stones, but then you're either heating the stones or only have one burner on which isn't enough. So next time, heat the bbq, add the stone for about 5 mins when the bbq is good and hot, then in with the pizza, one at a time on the cooler half. Have to say though, the flavour from bbq'ing them is lovely, the base (although a little crispy and blackened) is very tasty. Did a meat feast one for the junior carnivores and one with fresh mozzarella, chicken, roasted peppers and fresh basil pesto for us. Going to do my own bases again and individual small pizzas, cos I'm the only one who loves a veggie pizza. Thinking goats cheese and asparagus....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

There is a pizza thread here that gives some great advice (not always Aldi though) but info about temperatures etc.
    It is undoubtedly suited to the pretty serious pizza enthusiasts (for lack of a better description) but has loads of generally good info for the not so serious...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057609472

It's going a long while, but some good links in it, even if the original oven is no longer used/worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There was a few left in my local earlier today, not many but they were still there. Its probably still on their website if you were looking for details of a particular item

Had a look at the section and there was a hot dipping sauce for chicken wings there. It was really small, about enough dipping sauce for 2 people eating 5 or 6 chicken wings each. I was gong to get it but then saw the price of 3 euro and decided not to due to the very small size.

Otherwise in my local there is nowhere near the amount of Grow products on sale as what was advertised in the brochure. It was the same last year as well, the falafel burgers never showed up and I checked a couple of stores to try find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Not a fan of the oat milk in the glass bottle, had it in coffee earlier and I’ll be sticking to my Oatly Barista.
    The Ballyvourney Herb and Garlic sausages are lovely, really nice flavour.
    I was tempted by the gelato but it’s very dear for the size!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    Not a fan of the oat milk in the glass bottle, had it in coffee earlier and I’ll be sticking to my Oatly Barista.

Very few products in my Aldi and mainly non-chilled stuff (apart from the gelato) - picked up the Coffee House Lane coffee beans but haven't tried them.
    The chocolate bark looked nice. Didn't see the brownies.

The peanut butter granola looked lovely but I knew I'd eat the bag in a couple of sittings likely so I left it:o Already regretting it though - 19% peanut butter (nyom) https://www.greenfingersfamily.co.uk/store1/Nutty-Peanut-Butter-Granola-300G-Bag-p163570800

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

AnnaSophia wrote: »

How much is the oat milk please?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

dee_mc wrote: »
    How much is the oat milk please?

I’m not 100% sure but I feel like it was around €3

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Only the non perishable items in the local today.
    Some bread mixes, coffee, sauces, etc.

Was looking for the cookie dough & gelato.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,803 ✭✭✭✭zell12

When did they start stocking green lentils? I could only find the red lentils for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

They've had them for months now - finally!

Advertisement