Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers lads, I had a look around where the Sorrento bases are but it wasnt there. Will look around the soya milks as well in case its there. But like said my local is very slack at getting new products in, last year we didnt see the skin on fries until about 6 weeks after other stores.

Is it an actual dough ball you need to stretch out yourself or is it already formed like the Sorrento bases?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭con747

Muahahaha wrote: »
    cheers lads, I had a look around where the Sorrento bases are but it wasnt there. Will look around the soya milks as well in case its there. But like said my local is very slack at getting new products in, last year we didnt see the skin on fries until about 6 weeks after other stores.

Is it an actual dough ball you need to stretch out yourself or is it already formed like the Sorrento bases?

A dough ball you stretch, it is a small packet so it could just be pushed in to a corner of a shelf!

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

con747 wrote: »
    A dough ball you stretch, it is a small packet so it could just be pushed in to a corner of a shelf!

Going down a treat in my house. Long(ish) shelf life, easy to shape, easy to cook and very good results.

vX00xQK.jpg

Rq0hCH8.jpg

Hope they become a permanent product.

Don't know if my taste buds are off due to not getting my annual fill of moules mariniere in France last year as our annual campsite type holiday was Covid cancelled but these mussels in a white wine sauce are absolutely delicious.

2 X packs into a covered pot on medium for 6 minutes stirring half way through produces lovely soft (not rubbery) mussels and the broth is equally delicious.

Paired with some nice sourdough bread and you have a top notch main course portion for €5 or so and ready in 6 minutes.

Couldn't be easier or better.

Not such a big fan of the garlic butter version. I do love garlic but for some reason I think their recipe is too buttery and too garlicky which may be anathema to some.

Hg0nG3O.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭mjp

54and56 wrote: »
    Going down a treat in my house. Long(ish) shelf life, easy to shape, easy to cook and very good results.

vX00xQK.jpg

Rq0hCH8.jpg

Can you cook the above dough in oven on tray like regular pizza base as I don't have a cast iron pan to cook it in.

• Advertisement

mjp wrote: »
    Can you cook the above dough in oven on tray like regular pizza base as I don't have a cast iron pan to cook it in.

Yes you can, instructions for oven are on the packet. I just use my non stick pan when using it so you don't really need a cast iron pan for it.

Yes you can, instructions for oven are on the packet. I just use my non stick pan when using it so you don't really need a cast iron pan for it.

Same. I think direct heat from below imparts a nice crust on the bottom of the pizza.

As an aside I think the 300g portion when only being stretched to fit in a pan results in a base which is a bit thicker / doughier than I typically like so will try making 3 X 200g thinner bases out of 2 packs and see if that works.

If it does it'll be a nicer base, lower calories and I'll save some €'s ;)

+1 on above comment. Lovely crispy coloured base but a bit too "deep pan pizza", so will be doing as above and either make two out of one or three out of two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Don't know if my taste buds are off due to not getting my annual fill of moules mariniere in France last year as our annual campsite type holiday was Covid cancelled but these mussels in a white wine sauce are absolutely delicious.

2 X packs into a covered pot on medium for 6 minutes stirring half way through produces lovely soft (not rubbery) mussels and the broth is equally delicious.

[]
    Having read this, I was salivating at the prospect of tonight's dinner - tried 2 Aldis - not a mussel to be found!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Any decent chicken fillet burgers in Aldi at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

These Buttermilk Chicken Burgers seem to divide opinion - https://www.aldi.co.uk/buttermilk-chicken-burger/p/704537388139202

I tried them on the back of rave reviews on here and wasn't keen on them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Patsy167 wrote: »
    These Buttermilk Chicken Burgers seem to divide opinion - https://www.aldi.co.uk/buttermilk-chicken-burger/p/704537388139202

I tried them on the back of rave reviews on here and wasn't keen on them

I didn't like them either.

What I do like though is the frozen yellowfin sole. I think that's what it's called. Garlic or herb flavour fish.

I go to Aldi especially to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Yea chicken thigh is either love or hate relationship. I had a look in SuperValu this morning for chicken fillet burgers but nothing there. Was hoping Aldi would come up trumps. Bbq tomorrow and have one fussy eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

vX00xQK.jpg

Rq0hCH8.jpg

Anyone else turned off by the Union Jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

No because its 2021

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The pizza dough ball is in the fridge section beside the Sorrento pizza bases and puff pastry in my Aldi.

Would it be good for making flatbreads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I doubt it as its a completely different dough.
    The flat bread recipe I use is, mix equal parts Greek yoghurt and self raising flour, and a spoon of baking powder. Very simple. For flavour I add a bit of mixed herbs and a spoon of cumin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

igCorcaigh wrote: »

I'd imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I didn't notice any difference in taste being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Esse85 wrote: »
    I didn't notice any difference in taste being honest.

I have small tricolour stickers that I put on the cling film for the ones I make myself.

00 flour
    Water
    Yeast
    Salt
    Sugar
    Olive Oil

I think the sweet spot is after 4 days.

Aside from all that I have been shopping in Aldi since well before it became fashionable (2002 or so). I do like that they were one of the first to promote Irish producers and have been quite innovative. Dunnes have stepped up significantly in this department over recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Tried those Sorrento pizza bases today and thought they were crap, not far off just making a tortilla pizza. They are nothing like a pizza base imo. Will go back to homemade dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Tried those Sorrento pizza bases today and thought they were crap, not far off just making a tortilla pizza. They are nothing like a pizza base imo. Will go back to homemade dough.

Not liking them is one thing and it's all down to personal taste but comparing them to a tortilla pizza is just wrong. No comparison whatsoever unless you got a very dodgy batch or didn't cook it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

They are never going to compete against home made dough which has a lot more air and chewiness to it. But they are okay for what they are which is par baked pizza bases. They are nicer than your average frozen pizza base so theyre a good middle ground between that and home made dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

These ice creams are gorgeous

https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/ALDIIE/p-caramelised-biscuits-chocsticks-3x90ml-giannis/4088600375243

The nutrition label is alarming though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Oh I wish I hadn't seen those biscoff ice creams! Still 280 kcals per ice cream is similar to a magnum so pretty standard.

For a lighter option, I picked up the cherry cola spiral ice lollies - 45 kcals a piece and a very good size (but no ice cream just frozen water). Can really taste the cherry flavour.

Picked up the Ballyhack Smokehouse Artisan Beech Smoked Salmon in the Special buys but haven't tried it - has anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I'm sure I read a pringles stackers recommendation on here before? If not, sorry.

Anyway, bought a tube of salt and vinegar ones earlier, just to hand open while we had a few guests in the back yard for burgers and beer.

Jesus, but they're absolutely crap. No flavour from them whatsoever.

A definite non recommendation from the McMurphy household.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

McMurphy wrote: »
    I'm sure I read a pringles stackers recommendation on here before? If not, sorry.

Anyway, bought a tube of salt and vinegar ones earlier, just to hand open while we had a few guests in the back yard for burgers and beer.

Someone posted a few weeks ago that they had changed and were now as you described

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

McMurphy wrote: »

They’ve changed the packaging and it seems the product. They were amazing , pure muck now sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,432 ✭✭✭✭Alun

km79 wrote: »
    Someone posted a few weeks ago that they had changed and were now as you described
    That was me. They truly are awful. I'm tempted to write to them to let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Oh I wish I hadn't seen those biscoff ice creams! Still 280 kcals per ice cream is similar to a magnum so pretty standard.

For a lighter option, I picked up the cherry cola spiral ice lollies - 45 kcals a piece and a very good size (but no ice cream just frozen water). Can really taste the cherry flavour.

Picked up the Ballyhack Smokehouse Artisan Beech Smoked Salmon in the Special buys but haven't tried it - has anyone else?

Another great option for Low Cal Ice Cream are the Milk lollies they have - mixed pack with Vanilla, Strawberry, and Choc flavours. Choc being the nicest. Lidl also do these milk lollies and they are even better

Advertisement