Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭squinn2912

LMHC wrote: »
    Garcia's power I feel would put Haney in a world of trouble early on. Haney doesn't like nor can he take being hit.

Yep I think it depends how early Garcia can get to him. I think ko 8-10 with Haney up on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭LMHC

walshb wrote: »
    That’s all he has, so. Puncher’s chance...

Garcia is a decent puncher. He’s not that good...

I think Haney is the type fighter that can prepare for all styles and adapt. Bit like Mayweather...

He’ll pepper Garcia from mid to long range all night. Too sharp and accurate. Starting the exchanges first..
    I think he's a bit better then a decent puncher. Cmon

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yep I think it depends how early Garcia can get to him. I think ko 8-10 with Haney up on the cards

Garcia gets in about him and stays inside hell do a lot of damage

• Registered Users Posts: 54,779 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think he's a bit better then a decent puncher. Cmon

He is.

But not good enough to beat Haney..

Hence he has a punchers chance!

He is.

But not good enough to beat Haney..

Hence he has a punchers chance!

In your opinion.

• Advertisement

In your opinion.

Of course it’s my opinion..

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Scrabbel

kneejerk wrote: »
    Delighted for Quigley. Fight was on a knife edge. Think he just about deserved the win.
    Big step up coming for him.

Yeh, it was great to see. OK he may have his limitations but he’s getting as far as any Irish pro in recent years. 16 months without a fight can’t be easy to come back from, not to mention the earlier defeat and hand injury. Hope he gets a title shot in 21/22.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Don't see it at all with Haney tbh. They're marketing him as this new Mayweather type but all I see is a guy nowhere near as slick as advertised. Constantly gets hit. There's some absolute monster punchers in his division too. I think Teofimo, Gervonta Davis and Ryan Garcia all stop him.

One thing's for sure

Let's agree that the LWs of Teo/Haney/Garcia/Davis, and throw in Lomachenko should be able to give us some belters...

I think Teo won't be too long at 135 lbs

No idea who the best is......styles make fights.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Can understand Quigley's emotion at the end as that really was a crossroads fight. Saw highlights and he looked stronger and sharper the second half of the fight. Great to see Wayne in his corner in place of Andy. Read somewhere that Andy had visa issues which seems unusual given he previously lived there. Anyone hear anything about that?

• Advertisement

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Can understand Quigley's emotion at the end as that really was a crossroads fight. Saw highlights and he looked stronger and sharper the second half of the fight. Great to see Wayne in his corner in place of Andy. Read somewhere that Andy had visa issues which seems unusual given he previously lived there. Anyone hear anything about that?

Andy is working with Parker. That was reason given I thinkm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/donegal-fighter-jason-quigley-must-go-all-in-against-shane-mosley-jr-with-his-future-on-the-line-in-las-vegas-40481521.html

"Lee – who is unable to be at ringside due to a US visa hiccup – knows the predicament facing the former world amateur silver medallist."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭normanoffside

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/boxing/donegal-fighter-jason-quigley-must-go-all-in-against-shane-mosley-jr-with-his-future-on-the-line-in-las-vegas-40481521.html

"Lee – who is unable to be at ringside due to a US visa hiccup – knows the predicament facing the former world amateur silver medallist."

I’d say it’s probably because the USA is currently closed to no US residents and citizens coming from Europe. I imagine Quigley has a green card but not Lee.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Superb looking card coming on Saturday from Frank , :o

Fury actually fighting a chap with a winning record:eek:

Before anyone get excited those 2 wins were against guys who have a combined record of 12 fights 12 losses and he is coming in on 3 days notice. :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/Jarrett242/status/1400034132785340420

Huge qualifier in Paris tomorrow for Tokyo

Final qualifier. Team Ireland have 7 or 8 competing.

We have Brendan Irvine at 52 and Kurt Walker at 57 already qualified

https://olympics.com/en/sport-events/tokyo-2020-boxing-olympic-qualification-tournaments/broadcasting-schedule

Huge qualifier in Paris tomorrow for Tokyo

Final qualifier. Team Ireland have 7 or 8 competing.

We have Brendan Irvine at 52 and Kurt Walker at 57 already qualified

https://olympics.com/en/sport-events/tokyo-2020-boxing-olympic-qualification-tournaments/broadcasting-schedule

Good win for Kellie there against the French Pro world Champion. She booked her place in Tokyo with the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Good win for Kellie there against the French Pro world Champion. She booked her place in Tokyo with the victory.

Excellent win against a seriously tough opponent. Boxed beautifully at times, but really had to work hard for it.

Anybody see the female welter fight straight after it between the Turkish world champ and another seriously tough Armenian? Brilliant fight. As good as anything I've seen in these championships.

Great win for Aoife O'Rourke in the 75kg, also now Tokyo bound
    She showed a great engine.
    The commentators had no idea how to pronounce her name

Was a proper barn burner. Kellie showed a lot more than just slickness..

Anyone know if Irvine won today?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if Irvine won today?

Did Emmet win?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Did Emmet win?

Emmet was robbed.lost 2-1. Ref gave him a standing count in the first no clue why. Cleary won the second. Baffled

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭megadodge

Her engine was incredible.
    She simply never stopped throwing punches in the 2nd and 3rd. Just wore her opponent down.
    Delighted for her.

but1er wrote: »
    Emmet was robbed.lost 2-1. Ref gave him a standing count in the first no clue why. Cleary won the second. Baffled

Ah ffs

Would any of these who have qualified have a chance for a medal at all?

Beautiful boxing just now from Michaela Walsh to book her place in Tokyo.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Would any of these who have qualified have a chance for a medal at all?

I'd imagine all the women have a very decent chance of Medalling

Aidan Walsh got through too on a Split Decision. Got very lucky, almost had a point deducted in the last round which would have cost him

I'd imagine all the women have a very decent chance of Medalling

Yeah looking at it and its quite likely Harrington will get a medal, heck far from improbable she gets the gold.:)

O Rourke probably not as likely, but she clearly is seriously talented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Nice to see Dubois win last night. Huge fight for him.

Advertisement