Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elite: Dangerous

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Cheers Dreamer... Will wait for a sale in a few months so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I took the plunge as I got it for less on a key site. Will try it out later tonight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a tenner off coupon on the epic store at the mo so can get it for 25 euro there if anyone is looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If anyone figures out how to ge Settlement Defense Schematics, could they let us know.

Need 15 and have no idea how or where to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'll try this again when the new PC arrives.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    If anyone figures out how to ge Settlement Defense Schematics, could they let us know.

Need 15 and have no idea how or where to get them.

Just on this by the nature of the datas name (Settlement Defense Schematics) you would assume you would find it on a data port in the main command post of a settement that has ehh defences? To me thats the logical place to find this, in almost all settlements there are data ports you can download things (cat pictures < seriously).

The majority of items downloaded count as a data material(for engineers or mission objective, I spent almost 2 days sneaking around high security settlements getting into the security room and scanning them looking for these Settlement Defense Schematics

Well I was wrong, you scan a planet and look for a human signal called Irregular Marker 3, go there fight the pirates, crack open the containers and find all the highest level materials you will need even Settlement Defense Schematics and then as ED wants relog and everything respawns (pirates) too.

ED>>Logic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I tried a little bit last night. I got some kind of tutorial mission which was good. But then that was it. Next I was back at the main menu and having to go into the game again. I started out in 40 Ceti where I'd last been some time last year. I was walking around the station and picked up a mission (a littler carelessly) that I only discovered later when I got back to the ship was on some planet 22,000 light years away. I had to cancel that one.

Next mission I paid more attention to the distance. Nearby system & to download something or other. Got to settlement and didn't really know where it was I was supposed to go. Some kind of power system schematic or data I think. So I went inside and started looking for a terminal. All NPC's kept saying "get away from here/me!" or something like that. Only in there a minute and then they start blasting. I also see them shooting my SRV. I try to retreat a bit in my SRV while being fired upon. Then I go to get out of my SRV and I just get a black screen. But I can hear the sound effects in the background. I press ESC and I get the menu. So eventually I just quit.

Not a great start and as confusing as ever! But graphics are nicer now and I think I can get into this. I'll just have to have Chrome open all the time to google absolutely everything as I happen upon it :)

Some tips:

NPCs have a sound/visual cone that alerts them to your presence, you really have to be patient as they have a routine. If you scan someone level 3 you can get in every door but if you are scanned with the cloned access, you dead. if they see you and they a scientist blast them with the oppressor it can kill in one shot to a sheidless person, 2 if they have a sheild up.

Weapons and suits, check every station for weapons/suits, you can buy grade 3 everything but there is no logic to it. If you see one for sale buy it.

Manticore Oppressor (DMR) and Tormentor(Magnum) are your go to weapons in the Maverick suit (the one with the door cutter) use this suit for infiltration and assasin missions.

Manticore Oppressor AR 50 (assault Rifle Kinetic) and Tormentor for the Dominator suit (the war suit) use this for conflict zones and exterminate missions, basically any mission you 100% sure you gonna fight the entire base.

If you have reconed a base and have a feeling there will be a battle, make sure you have an ammo pile/med pack/energy things close by.

Team up, all missions can be completed a lot easier if you have bait someone with you, game sometimes treats them as wanted but not you (doesnt work all of the time) There is no wing sharing anymore, both of you just get the same missions and if in the area when its complete it completes for both.

Get creative, if you have to kill someone and they in a building, cut the air supply from the roof (needs Arc Cutter). You can overload any door once the panel is off or use an E breach if you have one.

You need 10 on CZ for the 1st engineer.
    You need to travel 100LY in an Apex Shuttle for another.
    You need 10 Restore Power missions for another.

They then want an additional item to unlock the next one, all the items can be found in the irregular marker 3 or via mission rewards or if lucky in one of the containers in a settlement, locked ones have the best gear.

Engineering is weird, your suit needs to a high grade (which is random and only g3s are being seen) then you need a mental amount of new materials to craft the mod.

3rd "hot fix" out today.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-1.578613/

Just the 200 odd fixes :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Is this REALLY the mess the Steam reviews are suggesting it is?

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Is this REALLY the mess the Steam reviews are suggesting it is?

No a lot of people were expecting something FDev was never capable of making.

Does have some issues, wait till morrow Patch and "Roadmap"

Roadmap imo means it wasnt ready, a 200 fixes patch a week after release kinda shows that.

Update 3 – Thursday 10th June
    Many improvements and fixes, including
    Loadout UI flow changes
    Adding earned ARX for on-foot gameplay
    Update 4 – Thursday 17th June
    Suit Livery UI flow changes
    Codex CMDR stats
    Update 5 – Thursday 24th June
    Shared missions
    Galaxy & system map UI updates
    Outfitting UI updates

The roadmap is basically timelines for patches, i reckon by end of June there will be close to a 1000 fixes done.

I have levelled up my DMR and Heist suit by doing 2 types of missions, restore power and loot the entire settlement with your SRV and Massacre doing a lot of those will get you most of the materials to level up some stuff but for the mods there is a different set of stupidly hard to get materials.

One thing which is quite brilliant and probably unintended is to do a Massacre or restore mission(with bad guys) and get your crew mate to rain fire (incendiary MCs or dumb missiles work best) poor bastards dont stand a chance :D

Just the 160 odd fixes this week.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-3.581500/

My unoffical count is 564 fixes since release.

I'm new and didn't pick up the new DLC. Vets approached me in the game, switched back to standard mode to coop with me and said they don't like the fps drops the new one causes. Doesn't inspire confidence. Think I should pick it up later down the road.

This vid was shocking. How could the devs be so out of touch to think that wandering around and enjoying the ship's interiors is not a desired feature? It's where you spend 99% of your time. It's one of the most hype things about some of their competitors like SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

SC isn't a competitor for Elite. SC isn't something even approximating a game yet, it's a glorified tech demo. Elite has been out for six, seven years and for all it's problems is very entertaining if you're into the genre.

But yes. Introducing a FPS section to a game about spaceships and planets, etc was a mistake. People just wanted to be able to walk around their ship, planets and maybe space stations. They didn't want to have to do foot missions etc.

SC isn't a competitor for Elite. SC isn't something even approximating a game yet, it's a glorified tech demo. Elite has been out for six, seven years and for all it's problems is very entertaining if you're into the genre.
    It's a sci-fi space flight video game. It absolutely is a competitor in terms of pure marketspace. Everything else is irrelevant including year of release or quality.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1052048252
    But yes. Introducing a FPS section to a game about spaceships and planets, etc was a mistake. People just wanted to be able to walk around their ship, planets and maybe space stations. They didn't want to have to do foot missions etc.

It's not just that it's the absolutely backwards logic. They don't want to 'waste players time'. Some dude just told me that it can take 60 real-time hours to get to some of the places in the galaxy. The game is a monstrous grind (not saying it's a bad thing though). But a few seconds of enjoying your ship is apparently precious wasted seconds that they don't want to burden their players with while also introducing yet even more grind and resources. Baffling. Either there's a lot of developers on the spectrum working there or this is investor-driven design to encourage more spending/trackable engagement.

It's a sci-fi space flight video game. It absolutely is a competitor in terms of pure marketspace. Everything else is irrelevant including year of release or quality.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1052048252

It's not just that it's the absolutely backwards logic. They don't want to 'waste players time'. Some dude just told me that it can take 60 real-time hours to get to some of the places in the galaxy. The game is a monstrous grind (not saying it's a bad thing though). But a few seconds of enjoying your ship is apparently precious wasted seconds that they don't want to burden their players with while also introducing yet even more grind and resources. Baffling. Either there's a lot of developers on the spectrum working there or this is investor-driven design to encourage more spending/trackable engagement.

Majority of players wanted more stuff to do, they gave us space legs with not a lot to do and what is to do gets old fast.

Problem is that the content they delivering via the "plot" is only appealing to a small minority, it is very good but its also FOMO for most players and more often than not some dont even know its going on.

I want more newer **** to kill, its a space combat game for me. Maybe a few new ships and weapons.

For the on foot stuff play any FPS in the last 10 years with an "outpost" to "attack/kill/steal" and its been 1000 times better.

Supppose I can do jump snipes in an SRV now so thats kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Except ED exists :), you know actually was released and for the most part delivered on it's promises YEARs ago.
    Versus (and speaking as a previous Chris Roberts uber-fan and someone who really wanted SC to succeed) a game that will never actually appear unless forced by law. They are so lost at this stage with so much player investment that I will bet blood that the only reason Chris has not cancelled the project is he is afraid of the lawsuits and potential criminal fraud cases.
    Besides that I bought this update while also not really caring about the on-foot component (I still have not played that). To me it's superflous to the main game. But I want to support the dev and I'll probably get a few more hours of enjoyment eventually from the mode even if I don't focus on it. I'm quite happy to play Horizons mode until then when I need to, because absolutely no other game can touch this for a space sim today. If Odyssey is a failure long term it's an unfortunate withered limb of an otherwise stellar body (yes, death by pun :) ).

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    Except ED exists :).
    I guess you didn't click the link. Anyway I'm not here to defend SC because I have no interest or love for it. My only point was that it's a competitor just like any other modern title in the same genre and only brought up because it has a feature ED players a demanding. It targets the same demographic and is an immersive space flight sim. All other conversation is irrelevant so have fun hating on SC it's not exactly a brave position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Man gimme the guardian AI making a come back,more ground vehicles rather than just the one,give me missions where its multi stage ie in ship,on ground,in ship. Atmospheric planets,more ship launched fighters. Give a bit of love to power play to make it more relevant. Make thargoids more relevant.

Just a few of the things I'd take over ship interiors any day.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-5.584271/

The final update for the launch issues, over 1k fixes in total.

Still not a lot to do tho.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-7-notes.590083/

Final update, game is better but again if I was new to the game, it would be mind blowing at the amount of **** on offer.

So when is the console release? I'm on PC, but I kind of shelved it after the Oddysey launch (as it wasn't what I'd hoped) but I meant to go back to it after they fix as much as they can for th econsole release.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,140 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Was supposed to be around now but last I heard it was pushed back with no fixed date I thought.

Bought Odyssey today,im sick of waiting for a console release.

Not even a shred of news so said feck it.

Expectations are pretty low but at this point I got to just play it.

Wiped my save and starting a new commander...see yall in the black o7

Did they upgrade the visuals for odyssey? Like in general not just the planets.

Don't remember it looking as good. Although maybe I've played to long on console lol

Speaking of that cross save would be nice

lol Update 9 for Mays DLC is out this week, it has incrementally improved during each update.

Would imagine its worlds apart from console at this point.

Update out, too many fixes to note.

But its well over 1000 since Odyssey came out.

• Advertisement

I've been waiting to get back to into ED, bought Odyssey back when it released - was very disappointed. I won't be getting into the walking/suit type grind, but I hope the planetary design / surface stuff is improved since then?

Advertisement