Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Elite: Dangerous

1124125126127128130»

Comments

• _Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Is this REALLY the mess the Steam reviews are suggesting it is?

No a lot of people were expecting something FDev was never capable of making.

Does have some issues, wait till morrow Patch and "Roadmap"

Roadmap imo means it wasnt ready, a 200 fixes patch a week after release kinda shows that.

• Update 3 – Thursday 10th June
    Many improvements and fixes, including
    Loadout UI flow changes
    Adding earned ARX for on-foot gameplay
    Update 4 – Thursday 17th June
    Suit Livery UI flow changes
    Codex CMDR stats
    Update 5 – Thursday 24th June
    Shared missions
    Galaxy & system map UI updates
    Outfitting UI updates

The roadmap is basically timelines for patches, i reckon by end of June there will be close to a 1000 fixes done.

I have levelled up my DMR and Heist suit by doing 2 types of missions, restore power and loot the entire settlement with your SRV and Massacre doing a lot of those will get you most of the materials to level up some stuff but for the mods there is a different set of stupidly hard to get materials.

One thing which is quite brilliant and probably unintended is to do a Massacre or restore mission(with bad guys) and get your crew mate to rain fire (incendiary MCs or dumb missiles work best) poor bastards dont stand a chance :D

• Just the 160 odd fixes this week.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-3.581500/

My unoffical count is 564 fixes since release.

• I'm new and didn't pick up the new DLC. Vets approached me in the game, switched back to standard mode to coop with me and said they don't like the fps drops the new one causes. Doesn't inspire confidence. Think I should pick it up later down the road.

This vid was shocking. How could the devs be so out of touch to think that wandering around and enjoying the ship's interiors is not a desired feature? It's where you spend 99% of your time. It's one of the most hype things about some of their competitors like SC.

• Advertisement

• SC isn't a competitor for Elite. SC isn't something even approximating a game yet, it's a glorified tech demo. Elite has been out for six, seven years and for all it's problems is very entertaining if you're into the genre.

But yes. Introducing a FPS section to a game about spaceships and planets, etc was a mistake. People just wanted to be able to walk around their ship, planets and maybe space stations. They didn't want to have to do foot missions etc.

• SC isn't a competitor for Elite. SC isn't something even approximating a game yet, it's a glorified tech demo. Elite has been out for six, seven years and for all it's problems is very entertaining if you're into the genre.
    It's a sci-fi space flight video game. It absolutely is a competitor in terms of pure marketspace. Everything else is irrelevant including year of release or quality.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1052048252
    But yes. Introducing a FPS section to a game about spaceships and planets, etc was a mistake. People just wanted to be able to walk around their ship, planets and maybe space stations. They didn't want to have to do foot missions etc.

It's not just that it's the absolutely backwards logic. They don't want to 'waste players time'. Some dude just told me that it can take 60 real-time hours to get to some of the places in the galaxy. The game is a monstrous grind (not saying it's a bad thing though). But a few seconds of enjoying your ship is apparently precious wasted seconds that they don't want to burden their players with while also introducing yet even more grind and resources. Baffling. Either there's a lot of developers on the spectrum working there or this is investor-driven design to encourage more spending/trackable engagement.

• It's a sci-fi space flight video game. It absolutely is a competitor in terms of pure marketspace. Everything else is irrelevant including year of release or quality.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1052048252

It's not just that it's the absolutely backwards logic. They don't want to 'waste players time'. Some dude just told me that it can take 60 real-time hours to get to some of the places in the galaxy. The game is a monstrous grind (not saying it's a bad thing though). But a few seconds of enjoying your ship is apparently precious wasted seconds that they don't want to burden their players with while also introducing yet even more grind and resources. Baffling. Either there's a lot of developers on the spectrum working there or this is investor-driven design to encourage more spending/trackable engagement.

Majority of players wanted more stuff to do, they gave us space legs with not a lot to do and what is to do gets old fast.

Problem is that the content they delivering via the "plot" is only appealing to a small minority, it is very good but its also FOMO for most players and more often than not some dont even know its going on.

I want more newer **** to kill, its a space combat game for me. Maybe a few new ships and weapons.

For the on foot stuff play any FPS in the last 10 years with an "outpost" to "attack/kill/steal" and its been 1000 times better.

Supppose I can do jump snipes in an SRV now so thats kinda cool.

• It's a sci-fi space flight video game. It absolutely is a competitor in terms of pure marketspace. Everything else is irrelevant including year of release or quality.

Except ED exists :), you know actually was released and for the most part delivered on it's promises YEARs ago.
    Versus (and speaking as a previous Chris Roberts uber-fan and someone who really wanted SC to succeed) a game that will never actually appear unless forced by law. They are so lost at this stage with so much player investment that I will bet blood that the only reason Chris has not cancelled the project is he is afraid of the lawsuits and potential criminal fraud cases.
    Besides that I bought this update while also not really caring about the on-foot component (I still have not played that). To me it's superflous to the main game. But I want to support the dev and I'll probably get a few more hours of enjoyment eventually from the mode even if I don't focus on it. I'm quite happy to play Horizons mode until then when I need to, because absolutely no other game can touch this for a space sim today. If Odyssey is a failure long term it's an unfortunate withered limb of an otherwise stellar body (yes, death by pun :) ).

• _CreeD_ wrote: »
    Except ED exists :).
    I guess you didn't click the link. Anyway I'm not here to defend SC because I have no interest or love for it. My only point was that it's a competitor just like any other modern title in the same genre and only brought up because it has a feature ED players a demanding. It targets the same demographic and is an immersive space flight sim. All other conversation is irrelevant so have fun hating on SC it's not exactly a brave position.

• Advertisement

• Man gimme the guardian AI making a come back,more ground vehicles rather than just the one,give me missions where its multi stage ie in ship,on ground,in ship. Atmospheric planets,more ship launched fighters. Give a bit of love to power play to make it more relevant. Make thargoids more relevant.

Just a few of the things I'd take over ship interiors any day.

• https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-5.584271/

The final update for the launch issues, over 1k fixes in total.

Still not a lot to do tho.

• https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-update-7-notes.590083/

Final update, game is better but again if I was new to the game, it would be mind blowing at the amount of **** on offer.

• So when is the console release? I'm on PC, but I kind of shelved it after the Oddysey launch (as it wasn't what I'd hoped) but I meant to go back to it after they fix as much as they can for th econsole release.

• Was supposed to be around now but last I heard it was pushed back with no fixed date I thought.

Advertisement