Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

201 Class Locomotives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

201's have taken specials to and from Wexford in the past. I suppose an aria or two of Verdi is an emergency :)

201's never worked the Opera special, always a 071, last special was certainly a 071, 11-12 years ago?

I think a 201 had been south of Arklow exactly twice, a gauging trial and one fairly random cement train from Waterford via Rosslare to Dublin.

Belmond caused the rules to be changed to be the first scheduled operation, but a 071 was the preferred traction. Before that a 201 did sneak a MK3 set as far as Wicklow once

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

201's never worked the Opera special, always a 071, last special was certainly a 071, 11-12 years ago?

I think a 201 had been south of Arklow exactly twice, a gauging trial and one fairly random cement train from Waterford via Rosslare to Dublin.

Belmond caused the rules to be changed to be the first scheduled operation, but a 071 was the preferred traction. Before that a 201 did sneak a MK3 set as far as Wicklow once

216 was in Rosslare on gauging trials in 1996 hauled by a 141, then on 16th and 17th March 1997 203 worked the regular passenger and again in summer 1999 219 worked the regular passenger (all three ran under special permission due to 071 unavailability or failures), and on 5th July 1997 204 worked a Executive special to Wicklow. 227 worked a cement to Rosslare Strand and accross to Waterford on 18th September 2004 and then of course we had 216 again to Rosslare Strand last year.

31st May 2007 was the last Opera special.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106916088&postcount=418

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106916251&postcount=420

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Is the 230 project dead now or still progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭choo choo man

Dead now, unless there is a requirement for an additional push / pull 201 which I doubt.

Dead now, unless there is a requirement for an additional push / pull 201 which I doubt.

Ah I guess the whole re-engine program is dead now and 230 goes in to razor blades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Is that reliable info?

They started on 230 months ago, would be a surprised if they stopped. 225 is coming back so they do need them.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is that reliable info?

They started on 230 months ago, would be a surprised if they stopped. 225 is coming back so they do need them.

Is she getting the new cat engine or back to EMD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nibs05 wrote: »

Not sure but expect the same as current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Nibs05 wrote: »
    wonder if a Cummins QSK60 would do - tops out at 2700hp but with separate HEP now maybe that’s good enough?

How has Cat done in the European passenger loco market? Cummins has significant sales advantage in North America given the Siemens Charger versus EMD’s F125 (Cat)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've a question regarding the 201 class that hopefully the great and the good here may be to clear up for me. When the 201's arrived in 1994 were any of them fitted with the retractable buffers that that if I'm right in saying is the main factor that they need to haul the Mk4s( I may be oversimplifying that a bit) or was it just the first batches ?

• Advertisement

Sorry for reactivating this thread but just to record that at 20:34 last night loco 221 and DVT 4003 pulled into Kent station looking well. I’ve been walking along by the station for a good couple of weeks every night and the 201s and Mk4s had been missing(I can see into the yard from where I walk from) and they returned over the bank holiday weekend. Anyway just said I’d record a 201 class loco movement in the people’s republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Any word yet on what a happened to 224? I presume she's laid up in Inchicore somewhere?

Btw there was a MK4 set sitting in the yard in Kent station last night(DVT facing Dublin) and a 201 sitting next to it. Is there two 201s in cork ? It’s just that I don’t think there’s a way to run around in that yard anymore and I was thinking there must be a second 201 because I couldn’t see how they could get the loco where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Cork would have a spare/rescue 201. Not sure if it was taken away during lockdown but I'd presume with the return to full service and 50% capacity most if not all mk4 diagrams will need to return to service.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Cork would have a spare/rescue 201. Not sure if it was taken away during lockdown but I'd presume with the return to full service and 50% capacity most if not all mk4 diagrams will need to return to service.

That’s what I assumed but maybe the 201 loco with the mk4 set was in the shed.

Anyway yesterday Friday may 7th 221 and 4003 left cork at 20:35 so nearly 48 hrs since I saw it arrive it left.

And at 12:26 4004 and 234 was waiting to leave cork.

I’d not walked around the new developments on the old site of the yard in Kent station and firstly they’ve made a nice job of it and secondly even with a bit missing Kent station still takes up a huge area.

Last night I was going for a walk past the train station and I saw loco 234 and DVT 4004 leaving the station but I saw a guy in an orange hi vis jacket in the loco and I stopped because normally the loco is empty leaving cork. Anyway the train after a minute or two came back into the station and used the avoiding line around the back to stable the train set in the yard(and yes the spare 201 is back). My question is(and there may be an obvious reason for this) but is the signal at the end of the train shed opposite from the tunnel normally at danger ? Is there a reason why the Dublin trains don’t go past it and get to the yard that way ? Maybe I’m overthinking it but it would save having to block the tunnel if they went out the far end of the train shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This is normal, the Mk4 stabling and cleaning slab is accessed this way

There are two sets of signals
    Main signals
    Shunt signals, these are for moves around a station or yard, almost always without passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Shunting the other end pretty much prevents any other movements within the station. A MK4 set would need to shunt down over Glanmire bridge which blocks any movements into or out of platforms 1-4. Once on the bypass track the set would still need to enter the tunnel to get onto the stabling track.

20:20 tonight 222 and 4005 entered Kent station at full tilt so for probably the first time in a couples of months there’s more than one 201’s and MK4 sets calling Kent station home. I assume it’s moving rolling stock around for Monday coming with the further relaxing of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    20:20 tonight 222 and 4005 entered Kent station at full tilt so for probably the first time in a couples of months there’s more than one 201’s and MK4 sets calling Kent station home. I assume it’s moving rolling stock around for Monday coming with the further relaxing of restrictions.

The full service was supposed to have been restored last Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

tnegun wrote: »
    Any word yet on what a happened to 224? I presume she's laid up in Inchicore somewhere?

Stripped for parts to supplement the remaining 201s, engine pulled out of it also, which is weird to see an engine room of a 201 completely empty.

It's had a terminal failure so I'd say there's no hope of it going back into service, if I was a betting man.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Stripped for parts to supplement the remaining 201s, engine pulled out of it also, which is weird to see an engine room of a 201 completely empty.

It's had a terminal failure so I'd say there's no hope of it going back into service, if I was a betting man.

Is there a photo of the remains available?
    Been 12 years since I was in Inchicore. Used to go every second Sat, when I was young and living in Dublin.

Fratello wrote: »
    Been 12 years since I was in Inchicore. Used to go every second Sat, when I was young and living in Dublin.

I'll try get pics from it.

Last night at 20:30 223 and 4002 arrived into Cork.

And today at 12 midday 4005 and 226 were sitting waiting to leave and there was another 201 sitting outside the engine shed but couldn’t see its number.

Today at midday there was 216 and 4001 sitting at the platform and 4005 and a 201 I couldn’t identify at the slab I think they call it.

17:45 220 and 4006 waiting to depart.

Fratello wrote: »

I'll post these tomorrow, have a few good photos of said Loco.

Few pics, hopefully they upload.

And one or two more.

Strange seeing the loco so gutted out.

No doubt any spares are now getting a new lease of life another 201 class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

GavRedKing wrote: »
    And one or two more.

Strange seeing the loco so gutted out.

No doubt any spares are now getting a new lease of life another 201 class.

The bent frame, is this peculiar to 224, or is it a common problem in other members of the class? .

It is fair to say that 201 Co Co was the most handsome
    class of our locos, surpassing even the Hunslets. It's a shame to see them now. Next Wednesday will be the 27th anniversary of 201 arriving by air. It is sad that about half the class only worked 12-15 years.

• Advertisement

224 afaik is the only Loco to have had such an accident/incident as per the above pictures.

No idea what caused it but when the MK4s were out of service it was a perfect chance to overhaul the other 201s and give them a once over.

I'd imagine the safety department went through each 201 with a fine tooth comb to make sure it is a one off.

I know the driver who was driving it for it's last Intercity journey and even at the platform in Cork on inspection it looked a bit off, it wasn't until it got to the junction that issues started to arise and alarms going off in the MK4 GC, afaik it was failed in the junction and then hauled to Inchicore where it's been layed up since.

Advertisement