Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

201 Class Locomotives

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Interesting to see Oscar Bravo's comment as an aside on Post 1 of the 071 thread from about 4 years ago saying 216 was at Inchicore stripped of parts and unlikely to be out again.How times change, I guess none of us saw that coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭timber train

Oscar bravo also mentioned that 087 had
    Been withdrawn in same post ☺ but it survived to ☺

221+Mk4s stable at Heuston @1.20pm

233+Mk4s on sidings at Heuston .

224 Mk4s just outside Portarlington heading for Heuston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Saw 8209 on the 7:35 ENterprise ex Connolly this morning. First time I've noted it on a refurb revenue run. Last time I saw it at Connolly it was dumped outside the shed wrong way round having failed on a test set in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Saw 8209 on the 7:35 ENterprise ex Connolly this morning. First time I've noted it on a refurb revenue run. Last time I saw it at Connolly it was dumped outside the shed wrong way round having failed on a test set in Belfast.

Well it didn't last long......failed set

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Well it didnt get far.....29 replaced the DD

You're not serious.:pac:

209 really is still the lemon of the 201 fleet even after it's overhaul. Time to put in back on freight runs so.

You're not serious.:pac:

209 really is still the lemon of the 201 fleet even after it's overhaul. Time to put in back on freight runs so.

I don't even think it made it out of Connolly...10.35 is formed of 4 coaches and real time shows the 7.35 ran on time after the 7 minute delay ex Connolly.

209 works fine on the Cork service and with no HEP on the DD would imagine many in IE are wondering the same thing but then again it could of been DD fault.

209 failed today on the DD. Not sure about the other day but its loco related today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

209 failed today on the DD. Not sure about the other day but its loco related today.

208 failed today, not 209.

Fault 2 days ago was a with the DVT.

GM228 wrote: »
    201 re-engineering to go ahead?

It's been mooted several times and IEs 2014 Annual Report mentioned a possability of re-engineering the 201s

Here is youtube video of something like whats proposed although possibly not as dramatic as the video commentry!

https://youtu.be/bLp0mrMBRFo

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

218 on the 17:00 to Cork at Stacumny Bridge, Friday 21st October.

29865363903_a0ee628924_c.jpg1700 to Cork by John McK, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

218 on the 17:00 to Cork at Stacumny Bridge, Friday 21st October.

29865363903_a0ee628924_c.jpg1700 to Cork by John McK, on Flickr

It could almost be a painting.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

230 going to be brought back from the scrap heap next year, didn't see that coming at all.....

230 going to be brought back from the scrap heap next year, didn't see that coming at all.....

Currently undergoing body and electrical overhaul (to be the re-engineering test bed).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Currently undergoing body and electrical overhaul (to be the re-engineering test bed).

makes sense to use it for that purpose as it would need to be rebuilt anyway.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Cravens

What's the story with 225? Any return on the cards?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Cravens wrote: »
    What's the story with 225? Any return on the cards?

no as far as i know.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

is there a fleet list of the 201s anywhere and their current state ( incl NIRs )

trellheim wrote: »
    is there a fleet list of the 201s anywhere and their current state ( incl NIRs )

All 201s in service except 201-205, 210-214, 225, 232 and 230, all the rest are generally in service bar a few undergoing scheduled maintenance, none of the above (except 232, 230 and possibly 225) are likely to return to service.

232 and 230 are undergoing overhaul. 225 may be in the ramps next year for overhaul, but not yet confirmed.

233 is on medium term loan to NIR since August and is generally confined to York Road although it did come back to IE two weeks before Chrismtas for an exam and even managed a trip to Ballina on the IWT but is now back with NIR.

Thanks, only heard it from someone else and didn't really believe it!
    233 is on medium term loan to NIR since August and is generally confined to York Road although it did come back to IE two weeks before Chrismtas for an exam and even managed a trip to Ballina on the IWT but is now back with NIR.

What are they using it for, assume it's in addition to the DD spare there?

Shunting and per way trains as 231 and 233 will not be made fully DD compatible until 2017 some time.

Shunting and per way trains as 231 and 233 will not be made fully DD compatible until 2017 some time.

They should also really redo the yellow ends on 231, the orange/yellow blend is the odd ball in the fleet of 201's and it's the colors of the ICR (almost all of them) ends. Normal Yelllow suits 201 class much better.

Issue with NIR 111 class?

NIR have their 111s for shunting and per way, 233 is with NIR specifically for testing of the Enterprise carriages which are currently going through a post refurbishment "improvement programme" which involves a certain amount of fault free hours movements within the depot and various other tests which required the use of a 201 but not specifically one with the MMI system as that is not part of the testing programme.

They didn't want to commit a loco which can actually work the train in passenger service as it would be tied up with the project and so the only other available 201 was sent.

216 will also be compatible with the Enterprise and already has the new console fitted for the MMI system.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

Not my video, but here's 233 during the time it had its silencer bypassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,443 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I was in Kent station recently and I saw I think 234 with the name plates in Irish and english but they were painted yellow with black lettering. Weren't they removed before and were they not painted ?

Also 234 looked fresh out of inchicore so maybe that's why I noticed it.

• Advertisement

215/4002 failed on the 0800 Heuston to Cork near Ballybrophy. Passengers detrained to the 0900, hauled by 220. 087 to haul it back to Dublin.

I know because I'm on the 0900 and intended to get a bus from Limerick, which I'll now miss. :(

Advertisement