Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly me to the Moon - your 3rd travel Megathread - read OP

Options

Comments

bubblypop wrote: »
    I won't need to quote anything to the immigration officer because I know I won't be prosecuted.
    You are entitled by law to travel home.

Of course you are but you're ignoring that if suspected upon return of breaking the law leaving, you can be fined and prosecuted
    Its not a prosecution for breaking the law going home its for leaving non essentially

Read the bloody legislation, the offence is leaving the state not entering. Free to enter as you please once you have a valid PCR if coming from a country not on MHQ.

The SI specifically states the offence is leaving the state, as has already been mentioned, once you pass through the checks at ports or airports outbound then your fine.

Restrictions of movement of applicable persons in relation to travel from place of residence to port or airport
    4. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), an applicable person shall not travel to an airport or port for the purpose of leaving the State without reasonable excuse.

Thats all very fine Stephen
    But how did you fly out,were you picked up on the M11 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Its actually not that bad - I organised my daughter going off to work in Italy for the summer last week - Randox sends you an email. You upload it to Ryanairs "document" folder and they didn't even look it all the way to Italy.

I printed her hard copies just in case and she wasn't asked for them anywhere - she flew Dublin - Stansted - Stansted to Venice.

She said it was as easy as if there was no covid at all. Took about 20 minutes to organise everything - had to resize the pdf as Ryanair have a file limit of 2mb and it was 3.5mb or something.

In Belfast, they do a visual check of the PCR result at checkin and again at the boarding gate. SEF, Portuguese border control, do a visual check at passport control (all e-gates closed). None scanned the QR code and anyone with Adobe competence to rejig the name and dates. This equates to what was stated by a minister during the week but he was pulled up on the basis that they still respected/insisten on them.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Where are people thinking about going for pre-travel PCR tests? How much are we expecting to pay per test?

Based in Galway so looking a these guys....

https://booking.randox.ie/

Randox is a huge NI lab doing lots of U.K. government tests. My own experience was that they were very efficient. They collect the samples and then processed overnight.

Of course you are but you're ignoring that if suspected upon return of breaking the law leaving, you can be fined and prosecuted
    Its not a prosecution for breaking the law going home its for leaving non essentially

No.
    You cannot

And I am not 'talking out of my hole'
    I understand the law, you clearly do not.

• Advertisement

No.
    You cannot

You cannot be prosecuted for breaking the law?
    Ha ha ha

So you answered a question you have no experience of
    Yes you can be fined if the Garda suspects you left the country non essentially
    So let's ask the question again and this time could someone with ACTUAL experience of what the Garda said or asked at the hatch answer ,thanks
    Was it a case of 2019,the usual,glance at passport and wave on or is there a deeper probe

The fine is for going to a port or airport with the intention of leaving the country. Returning to the country does not provide sufficient evidence to the Gardai as to when or how you left. There is/was a small fine for Jon-essential inbound travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thats all very fine Stephen
    But how did you fly out,were you picked up on the M11 ?

What are you rambling about now ?

You've been told your wrong so just get over it and stop trying to have an argument for the sake of it.

I've double checked it with 2 Garda friends who have been involved in the airport checkpoints, you can't be fined €2000 when coming back into the country, it's outbound only. If you went ahead with your non essential journey on the way out your 2k fine will be at home waiting for you, if they accepted your reason for travel then your fine, just follow the requirements for inbound travel

I think that's my question answered
    You are asked and better have your story straight?
    Also,let's be very clear they can prosecute when you get home,so having things water tight is important
    Can I fly to London by the way to examine 2nd hand machinery I'm buying or would I be fined?

As an Irish citizen none of the questions are compulsory so there is no evidence unless it is given!

You cannot be prosecuted for breaking the law?
    Ha ha ha

Did you post here looking for information or not?
    You have been told. I'm not sure why you feel the need to insult posters who are actually helping you.

• Advertisement

What are you rambling about now ?

You've been told your wrong so just get over it and stop trying to have an argument for the sake of it.

I've double checked it with 2 Garda friends who have been involved in the airport checkpoints, you can't be fined €2000 when coming back into the country, it's outbound only. If you went ahead with your non essential journey on the way out your 2k fine will be at home waiting for you, if they accepted your reason for travel then your fine, just follow the requirements for inbound travel
    Instead of talking about a point I didn't make re a fne for returning
    Go back and ask you 2 new Garda friends if you can be fined or prosecuted on return if suspected of breaking the law leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

Go back and ask you 2 new Garda friends if you can be fined or prosecuted on return if suspected of breaking the law leaving

Pack it in, you’ve clearly been proven wrong. Don’t beat a dead horse.

You have been told.
    You cannot.
    Get it yet?

rm212 wrote: »
    Pack it in, you’ve clearly been proven wrong. Don’t beat a dead horse.

I haven't actually
    A poster here with actual experience of the immigration gardai in the last week confirmed being grilled on the purpose of their journey
    The other posters annoyed at this prospect were talking with no recent experience
    What use is this thread without experienced people giving the answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭josip

patscott27 wrote: »
    Latest variant is now being called the delta variant.

That's a change.

I haven't actually
    A poster here with actual experience of the immigration gardai in the last week confirmed being grilled on the purpose of their journey
    The other posters annoyed at this prospect were talking with no recent experience

Oh, I dunno......
    Maybe posters who understand the law might give some advise!
    Doesn't matter what immigration ask, you are an Irish citizen travelling home. End of.

josip wrote: »
    That's a change.

Variants are being named after letters in the Greek alphabet now.

Oh, I dunno......
    Maybe posters who understand the law might give some advise!
    Doesn't matter what immigration ask, you are an Irish citizen travelling home. End of.

I was never asking about the returning home bit
    I was asking about being questioned about when you left and why
    That is not 2019 immigration
    A Garda can prosecute you for a crime committed prior to coming home
    The best that can be advised here is they won't

I was never asking about the returning home bit
    I was asking about being questioned about when you left and why
    That is not 2019 immigration
    A Garda can prosecute you for a crime committed prior to coming home
    The best that can be advised here is they won't

Ah Jaysis
    You just don't listen!

A garda can prosecute you for a crime you committed before you left, they cannot however prosecute you and fine you for travelling to the airport for the purpose of leaving the jurisdiction on non essential travel.
    Sweet baby jebus!
    I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Anyone gone through Dublin airport with young kids recently, did the gardai ask extra questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Helpsos

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Anyone gone through Dublin airport with young kids recently, did the gardai ask extra questions?

This is my question too .... due to fly mid June thinking of delaying to late July now... as the thoughts of this mad fine are stressing me out

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

I haven't actually

Came back through Dublin Airport yesterday and there is no garda checks, it is just immigration officials and they only ask for proof of your PCR test and Passenger Locator Form.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,653 ✭✭✭✭josip

patscott27 wrote: »
    Yes the variant formerly know as Yeti is now called Delta

That's a change.
    Variants are being named after letters in the Greek alphabet now.

Whoosh Bubbly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Helpsos wrote: »
    This is my question too .... due to fly mid June thinking of delaying to late July now... as the thoughts of this mad fine are stressing me out

Can you not avail of one of the accepted excuses?

Ah Jaysis
    You just don't listen!

A garda can prosecute you for a crime you committed before you left, they cannot however prosecute you and fine you for travelling to the airport for the purpose of leaving the jurisdiction on non essential travel.
    Sweet baby jebus!
    I'm out!

Well we'll agree to disagree then,for peace sake
    Its the first time I've ever heard of a situation proffered where a law is suspected of being broken and won't be taken further
    My original question was around do you need to get your story straight at the hatch
    The advice from the lad gone through recently is yes
    If he's not been frightened off by this exchange hopefully he'll be back next week with more first hand knowledge of the process
    Me I'm minded to wait until the 19th July assuming no pcr test needed for us fully vaccinated folk then too

Whoosh Bubbly :)

:D

Well we'll agree to disagree then,for peace sake
    Its the first time I've ever heard of a situation proffered where a law is suspected of being broken and won't be taken further
    My original question was around do you need to get your story straight at the hatch
    The advice from the lad gone through recently is yes
    If he's not been frightened off by this exchange hopefully he'll be back next week with more first hand knowledge of the process
    Me I'm minded to wait until the 19th July assuming no pcr test needed for us fully vaccinated folk then too

Ah Jaysis.
    Immigration.
    No garda checks.
    No fine for leaving when you are coming back.

Apology accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

To the person saying you can get fined for coming into the country, you can't.

They are immigration officials not Gardai at passport control.
    They ask for test results, locator form, and vaccination proof. They asked my reason for coming in and visiting family was accepted just last week. They can't give out fines only Gardai can and the law is for traveling to the airport not returning.

To the ones asking about traveling with kids, Quite a few about! Loads of babies on my flight. Gardai didn't stop me as I used fast track. But honest to god I'm sure you can make up your best excuse that people have said above.

If you don't want to break the rules for a moral reason best to delay to the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Feria40 wrote: »
    Are there any clouds on the horizon at this juncture? What could go wrong?? Tell me to relax!!! :)

Apparently due to the Castletroy Variant the next 14 days are critical. I was down that way last weekend and I was SHOCKED by what I saw. It was like Jones's Road on All Ireland Day, Joe

• Advertisement

Ah Jaysis.
    Immigration.
    No garda checks.
    No fine for leaving when you are coming back.

Apology accepted

All you've said there is to not worry about the law I've broken going out,your apology is also accepted given we're acknowledging invisible ones :D
    But seriously can we agree finally to disagree because we definitely do

Advertisement