Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Buy this highly desirable, versatile, discontinued and never to be repeated 39mm watch.

Reason for selling: I want the 36mm version...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Ah discontinued like the 36mm was discontinued and the Batman...oh wait they are back.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Fitz II wrote: »
    Ah discontinued like the 36mm was discontinued and the Batman...oh wait they are back.

You've just figured out Rolexes super secret sales strategy.

1)Discontinue to drive up demand
    2)Introduce new model thats slightly bigger/has a different bracelet/new colour/insert other change here
    3)Discontinue the new one
    4)Re-release the old one.
    5)Repeat

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Clearly working for them too, at least at the moment what with the attention focused on the brand.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Time wrote: »

2)Introduce new model thats slightly bigger/has a different bracelet/new colour/insert other change here
    5)Repeat

Saves a fortune on tooling costs too ;)
    Doubly efficient! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Watch makers have a tough task really as there is a pressure to release new stuff constantly. Like the update to the IPhone which are disposable items there is almost the expiration for watches to be constantly updated, on a seasonal basis...like fashion items....green is the new blue for example.

1) It is hard to come up with “new” designs without ploughing old ground.

2) if you change the design too much you get lambasted for too much change and moving from core values etc (See omega, see Colour chart OPs).

3) if you change too little you are just riding the customer and making a change for the sake of it (see explorer 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Time wrote: »

5)Repeat

I don't really get it though. Rolex only ever gets their part of the RRP (minus taxes and minus AD margin). Apart from keeping the brand ultra desirable in the long term, there is nothing in it for them when one of their watches is hard to get new or second hand

Grey dealers and ADs benefit of course and any private owner who bought the watch earlier in the price trend up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭scwazrh

unkel wrote: »
    I don't really get it though. Rolex only ever gets their part of the RRP (minus taxes and minus AD margin). Apart from keeping the brand ultra desirable in the long term, there is nothing in it for them when one of their watches is hard to get new or second hand

Grey dealers and ADs benefit of course and any private owner who bought the watch earlier in the price trend up

I don’t understand why Rolex don’t increase their price and produce more watches . I’m not saying flood the market but a healthy 3-6 month wait would surely be better than the current issues with greys and watch flippers .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

The problem is not just production numbers, it’s the sales channels. Just searched Chrono for Rolex, New, 2020-2021. Got 11,173 results. That’s just one (admittedly large) website.
    So there are plenty of new watches out there to buy, they’re just not available in the ADs at RRP to those who want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,646 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mailforkev wrote: »
    The problem is not just production numbers, it’s the sales channels. Just searched Chrono for Rolex, New, 2020-2021. Got 11,173 results. That’s just one (admittedly large) website.
    So there are plenty of new watches out there to buy, they’re just not available in the ADs at RRP to those who want them.

yep, watchfinder (a richemont co) have more rolex than anything else, and thats just whats advertised. I have no doubt they have copious stocks of daytonas, hulks etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The market is doing a DeBeers in a way, though as Unk notes it's not directly driven by Rolex as far as their profits go. It's the dealers and AD's that are minting Rolex's throttling of supply. Maybe their next move on the back of the feeding frenzy is to up their prices and up their production, so they can get more of the profit pie? Though that's a move fraught with the danger of buyers seeing through that. They're around for a century and throughout that have been extremely clever when it came to reading the market, so I suspect they won't do that. They know that the current trend could be delicate enough, so better they stay stable enough on prices, keep production controlled and ride it out. If/when the market softens the ones who will lose will be the grey dealers and flippers, not them.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Of course there is, it becomes a more desired luxury item. It's phenomenally difficult to create a luxury brand, and even harder to create one that is the most desired. The benefit to them is that they can continue to grow at a pace they dictate because they know they'll sell everything they produce.

I'm sure Rolex understand the market better than us, a bunch of posters on an internet forum :p

Still, a sneaky 4-5% price increase across the range twice a year would up their margins tremendously without causing much of a stir, one would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

I know a guy who works for Siemens and is fairly high up in the Irish arm of the company. He told me the aim of the company is to have a consistent growth rate of 2-3% per annum. Nothing spectacular but a solid and consistent return on investment. Rolex seem to follow this approach as do a lot of the Germanic powerhouse companies eg Volkswagen, BASF etc. Slow and steady wins the race seems to be the mantra.

Rolex have no shareholders to answer to so the need to post maximum profit and redistribute it in the form of dividends and/or share buybacks each year(even if it’s detrimental to long term strategy) doesn’t seem to be a priority. They seem to be happy to sell 100% of their output each year at their chosen margin. They can dictate what they like to the AD’s cos for the last 5 years it’s been a cash cow for AD’s. AD’s can now sell even the traditionally undesirable models easily enough with the promise of access to the “good stuff” and plenty will lap it up.

As for that Explorer for €11200, that’s just bats**t crazy. Then again some of those horrendous coloured dial OP’s are selling for over double retail.

Madness all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Can't a man dream!! :D:D I'll do 11 cash ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

OK i could be way off here but a non fluted black Dial datejust on oyster with a rrp of 7400 for 10,500 . Is this dreamer of am I out of touch on these https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-datejust-41mm-2021/23983434

OK i could be way off here but a non fluted black Dial datejust on oyster with a rrp of 7400 for 10,500 . Is this dreamer of am I out of touch on these https://www.adverts.ie/casual/rolex-datejust-41mm-2021/23983434

10.5k for a non fluted DJ???

not a hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Well he does say it's an "unbelievable price".

Well he does say it's an "unbelievable price".

unbelievable piece i think

at an unbelievable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cyrus wrote: »
    unbelievable piece i think

at an unbelievable price.

Yeah you're right 'piece'. What's the believable price, €8K ?

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right 'piece'. What's the believable price, €8K ?

i guess, a small premium on retail

id put it to you this way, if i walked into weirs and said you can have this at retail, i wouldnt take it as im not sure id find a sucker to pay over retail for it (its not a watch id buy to wear)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Does it come with a free watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tis mad money, but tis no watch?
    Unless that's what he's pricing the car clock at? :p

Think ou meant this for the motors dream thread.

banie01 wrote: »
    Think ou meant this for the motors dream thread.
    That's a classic thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

NIMAN wrote: »
    Does it come with a free watch?

It actually does! One of the few that still has an analogue clock.

873338d25203924262d5b855fb613193.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

Hahahaha only copped now its in the watch forum my bad.. still folks what a dreamer

Speedmaster for €5k second hand. Are they really creeping up to that now or is this well and truly in dreamer territory?

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Speedmaster for €5k second hand. Are they really creeping up to that now or is this well and truly in dreamer territory?

Linky

As I mention in the Ad, it's cheaper than anything on Chrono24!

• Advertisement

Ha! Thanks for the update. Just had a quick look and the moonwatches start at about €3k up there, but I must not be comparing like with like then? Also I thought the hesalite versions are generally more desirable and would keep their value better than the sapphire, or at least they are worth roughly the same second hand?

Advertisement